• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC News Phil Spencer Interview - Where's the VR on Xbox One X?

I'm glad they didn't mention VR at the conference as I'm still not convinced by it even though I have a Pro which is capable hardware for it.

So reading between the lines of Phil's remarks definitely make it sound like they're not going to bother with VR on Xbox until they can do it wirelessly (which they've more or less said before recently). Luckily that tech is in the wild already so it's not a so far off future. Still, makes you wonder if it will ever actually hit XBX or if they'll just wait until the next console release.

Falchion

I'm fine with them holding off for now since I haven't seen enough games to make me want to buy any hardware anyways.

VR headset must improve on two aspect in order to delivery a good feedback

1) resolution on each screen ( means double 4K resolution )

2) refresh rate should be much above 100hz on each screen at native resolution

If these were the 2 most important aspects then VR gaming would be saved. In my opinion what's more important is:
  • making everything as light and as wireless as possible
  • solving the movement issue for genres like first person action games, walking simulators etc.

cakefoo

Xbone X might have some issues but avoiding VR is not one of them as the price + software is not there yet for mass market success. VR stans might take issue with it but they are only a vocal minority.
Plenty of companies including Sony are content with something short of mass market. The difference between Sony and MS though, is that Sony made the PS4 VR-ready, and they have 60M people who are a $400 investment away from VR, and that number will grow 15-20M annually. MS has to start their VR-ready base from scratch, and will be lucky to get 2M people VR-ready per year. If MS's VR attach rates were to be anywhere similar to PS4's, MS would only have 30-60K VR consumers per year.

Maximo

It was probably a checklist talking point to get people interested but have no further plans of actually implementing VR, at least not one tailored towards games I expect a cheap consumer one for movies/apps later.

Dragging their feet yet again. One of the richest companies in the world and its like they're afraid to try stuff.

Grow a pair will ya MS!

Top Bottom