• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Tremor is detected in North Korea (up: nuclear test conducted)

Vixdean

On the bright side, maybe the abject failure of this "policy" towards North Korea will finally make people see the wisdom of the Iran nuclear deal.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
you don't have to stop trade entirely to make a difference. The US does ~$40bn imports a month with China. China trade about ~$3bn a year with NK. Even some small tweaks would have a noticeable impact on China and would hopefully get them to reconsider their role in all this.

"very dangerous for the USA"

I think this is the very important part here. This is not about SK, Japan or whatever but a nationalistic motivated paranoia.

It's disturbing to see how people on GAF will run with that rhetoric.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
you don't have to stop trade entirely to make a difference. The US does ~$40bn imports a month with China. China trade about ~$3bn a year with NK. Even some small tweaks would have a noticeable impact on China and would hopefully get them to reconsider their role in all this.

This. Ty.

It's not China's job to deal with Trump's purely US centric paranoia. China is not the side which is losing anything right now but the USA is destabilizing their position in the Pacific.

Pomerlaw

“Vladimir Putin said the international society should avoid being overwhelmed by emotion, it should act calmly and prudently. He also highlighted that a complex settlement of the nuclear and other problems of the Korean Peninsula could be achieved solely by political and diplomatic means,” Peskov said.

I'm not a fan of Putin but he is right. You don't go emotional when H bombs are concerned.

Enelby

Neo Member
They should, but they won't. Europe seems to not give a shit, so the US, Japan and SK is stuck trying to get China to actually step up, alone.

China can only do as much as everyone else. I think they've lost what control they had.

Also you're kinda wrong in the EU account. Various leaders have condemned it and said they'd get stuck in.

Theresa May has called the latest North Korea nuclear weapons tests “reckless and unacceptable”.

The Prime Minister said in a statement: “This latest action by North Korea is reckless and poses an unacceptable further threat to the international community.

UK also said to send a Destroyer there to take part in joint exercises. (Albeit it is a little old).

SDCowboy

China can only do as much as everyone else. I think they've lost what control they had.

Also you're kinda wrong in the EU account. Various leaders have condemned it and said they'd get stuck in.

UK also said to send a Destroyer there to take part in joint exercises. (Albeit it is a little old).

The PM condemning it is not enough. The EU as a whole needs to start loudly joining in on putting pressure on NK, and on China to start taking an actual stand.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not a fan of Putin but he is right. You don't go emotional when H bombs are concerned.

It doesn't matter what Putin says. His country currently has a lot more in common with North Korea. Effectively a criminal state whose oligarchs bleed its people dry while the head criminal enriches himself and hangs onto a vague sense of former soviet supremacy, but he wants to be a Tsar, not a president. He may have had a plan once, but now his country's stature is built entirely on fucking up other countries. He's like a Risk player who replaced all his army pieces with turds and just keeps shoving them onto other people's places.

The PM condemning it is not enough. The EU as a whole needs to start loudly joining in on putting pressure on NK, and on China to start taking an actual stand.

That's some hardcore bullshit.

The last thing the world needs is the EU which joins the American hysteric rhetoric. The fact that SK and Japan are way more calm about NK should tell you something.

not with Trump in the White House.

impeach him first, then the international community will chime in.

i wouldn't deal witg Trump. better sit for 3 more years

Green Yoshi

The United States is considering, in addition to other options, stopping all trade with any country doing business with North Korea.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/904377075049656322

So this would mean that companies like Apple can no longer produce their iPhones in China if they want to sell them in the USA. Interesting development. How will China react if the Western world is gonna treating them as North Korea and starts to isolate them?

TarNaru33

Banned
That's some hardcore bullshit.

The last thing the world needs is the EU which joins the American hysteric rhetoric. The fact that SK and Japan are way more calm about NK should tell you something.

One has legal issues that make them can't do shit, the other has their capital city held hostage and neither one can do anything without U.S involvement due to the China issue. So yes, of course they are "more calm" they have a lot more riding on this in which they can't make a move.

Majukun

while I understand why people fear a nk with the nuke, in terms of rights, why it's not ok for them to have the nuke but a country like the US that officially fabricated a casus belli just to invade another nation (probably for oil), has all the right to have nukes and have its president tell the world how 'nuclear and the power of distruction is very important to me' or 'if we have the jukes why aren't we using them? '

I mean, from the point of view of the nk dictator, I can understand why he is trying to augment his bargain power through nuclear

@realDonaldTrump

The United States is considering, in addition to other options, stopping all trade with any country doing business with North Korea*.

*except China cause I really need that iPhone 8.

One has legal issues that make them can't do shit, the other has their capital city held hostage and neither one can do anything without U.S involvement due to the China issue. So yes, of course they are "more calm" they have a lot more riding on this in which they can't make a move.

Yeah, good that the USA (and the EU which should join the USA) doesn't need to care about such mere details and can go full crazy over it.

this is so fucking stupid

Rest of the world will not join the USA, so good luck with that trade war against the entire world, Trump!

SKINNER!

Banned
Yo China.

You wanna come get your boy?

Lol why? USA had no problems going after Saddam, overstay their welcome in Afghanistan and help with messing up Libya. What's stopping them from dealing with NK? Oh that's right... No energy resources worth taking advantage. Yeah, just get China to deal with it. USA isn't interested in playing World Police when it doesn't suit them.

ecnJIFu.png

p1KFZly.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/904375314830249984
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/904377075049656322

Holy shit if Trump actually does this then it will be a major game changer.

patience

if i were the UK or France, i wouldn't follow this madman's lead.
i would wait for Mueller finish his job

Trump has been a dick to his allies, there iis no reason for allies rush to help this turd.
What's the point of an alliance then if one leader dislike that another leader? Might as well break it and reform it for every new leader then.

patience

Trump has been a dick to his allies, there iis no reason for allies rush to help this turd.

So you think they should ignore mutual defense pacts if a missile is sent to Guam?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So is China actually doing anything?

What could China do? Sanctions have a clear benefits/losses calculus to them. Suppose China reduced trading with North Korea. What does the Kim regime lose? Some wealth, some luxury goods. Suppose the Kim regime stopped their nuclear weapons programme. What does the Kim regime lose? Security - they're at the mercy of an international intervention. There's no sanction significant enough to persuade North Korea to drop their nuclear weapons programme. It just won't work.

People in this thread attribute too much influence to China.

norinrad

They should, but they won't. Europe seems to not give a shit, so the US, Japan and SK are stuck trying to get China to actually step up, alone.

Ah and why would Europe not give a shit? That's right, it's been threatened by the four year old at the White House.

TarNaru33

Banned
Yeah, good that the USA (and the EU which should join the USA) doesn't need to care about such mere details and can go full crazy over it.

Rest of the world will not join the USA, so good luck with that trade war against the entire world, Trump!

He won't do it, but a trade war would have a dramatic effect on the world economy. We are talking about more than 4 trillion in world trade.

Hell a trade war with China would be more devastating for China than if they stopped all trade with NK.

patience

You mean the job that has a chance of not coming to fruition until the 3rd or 4th year of Trump's tenure if even before he leaves presidency?

He won't do it, but a trade war would have a dramatic effect on the world economy. We are talking about more than 4 trillion in world trade.

Hell a trade war with China would be more devastating for China than if they stopped all trade with NK.

A trade war in that scale would have unpredictable results, we are talking about world order changing results here if the USA really enters a trade war with not just China but the entire world.

Joezie

So you think they should ignore mutual defense pacts if a missile is sent to Guam?

In reference to Allies there is no Mutual defense for them to respond to unless they are named The Republic of Korea or Japan. NATO is strictly a North atlantic thing so shit going down in the pacific would obligate allies to do nothing, though they would be free to help if they so wished.

Top Bottom