• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been said many times, OLED’s rock!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
looking to buy a new monitor... currently using a LG Ultrawide 38in IPS display. Any recommendations? I've heard the Alienware AW3423DW/DWF is the go-to? Also considering a Samsung G8 Neo...

If you can hold out till 2024, we are expecting OLED monitors to be in full swing.

Unfortunate that JOLED went under but their IP is still out there so there is a chance we will get an RGB-OLED soonish.

8mVdksz6nTatDmGm4QArHj-650-80.jpeg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you can hold out till 2024, we are expecting OLED monitors to be in full swing.

Unfortunate that JOLED went under but their IP is still out there so there is a chance we will get an RGB-OLED soonish.

8mVdksz6nTatDmGm4QArHj-650-80.jpeg
W oled exists for a reason. RGB oleds would have burn in too quickly.
That's why LG added 4th, white subpixel to every pixel. White organic pixel is the most durable and it the brightest. So they were able to improve brightness and durability by dimming other pixels.
Something among these lines.
Using lg c1 for 2 years, woled is great. Dont see any text frinding

Black_Stride

W oled exists for a reason. RGB oleds would have burn in too quickly.
That's why LG added 4th, white subpixel to every pixel. White organic pixel is the most durable and it the brightest. So they were able to improve brightness and durability by dimming other pixels.
Something among these lines.
Using lg c1 for 2 years, woled is great. Dont see any text frinding

We'll see about that cuz Samsung is planning an RGB-OLED panel for TVs.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We'll see about that cuz Samsung is planning an RGB-OLED panel for TVs.

I mean, that is the basic knowledge I have.
Maybe they invented some new organic materials for R G B but if not, then at 2000 nits, these screen will burn in in no time.
Their qd oleds also burn in supposedly easier than lg.

Burn in is a wrong term. Should be "use up". Each pixel has limited life

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I mean, that is the basic knowledge I have.
Maybe they invented some new organic materials for R G B but if not, then at 2000 nits, these screen will burn in in no time.
Their qd oleds also burn in supposedly easier than lg.

Burn in is a wrong term. Should be "use up". Each pixel has limited life
We havent actually seen JOLEDs 32"4K panel in use and we dont have much information about Samsungs RGB-OLED which is why im waiting for 2024 before committing to a new monitor.

If the RGB-OLEDs really will burnout, chances are they never actually hit the market, but in the event they have got RGB-OLED working well a monitor is sure to come through, and LG themselves are also working on an RGB-OLED implementation.

in your pc control panel, ensure your output color range is RGB, and dynamic range is set to Full (0-255).
on your tv, ensure you have deep color enabled and black level is set to Auto.
if you want full accuracy, enable HGiG instead of dynamic tone mapping on your tv.

properly set up hdr adds detail.
everywhere I read now (and yes, even from resetera from their LG G3 guru) setting TV etc to LIMITED is now the better way to go

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My retirement plan. 120 uber gen OLED and endless tortillas chips and beer.

everywhere I read now (and yes, even from resetera from their LG G3 guru) setting TV etc to LIMITED is now the better way to go
depends on the source/game in my experience.

LIMITED tends to crush blacks--in some games it's fine, even preferable (depending on your tastes), but in others its excessive, which can make stuff hard to see, and look too contrasty/video gamey/just wrong.

(im on a cx for the record, and i tend to like LIMITED for older consoles)

annoying to do, but try both for yourself. and try switching the setting at different parts in the game.

TV tech is advancing pretty rapidly. Especially with this years top oleds, there’s absolutely no advantage to owning an LED based tv even in bright rooms. The only caveat is price, which is understandably a big factor.

I upgraded my A90J to the A95L back in September, and I’m blown away every time I watch HQ content or play games in HDR.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Going for the new generation of OLED monitors. QLED has been awesome in this house with lots of windows and 24/7 sunlight in the summer (not going to make a dungeon just to play games or watch movies, I like to occasionally see the world outside so-to-speak). But yeah, definitely looking forward to a new OLED monitor in 2024.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I picked up an open box Samsung 65 inch s95b QD OLED for £800 a few months ago. Sold my Philips ambilight LCD for £400 and an older TV I had unused for another £100 😃. So it only cost me £300 😃.

And WOW. Everything looks so much better on ps5 and pc. Especially in hdr and at night in the dark. Really has reinvigorated my love for gaming.

I still watch movies on a 120inch projector screen though 😉 (stealth brag) 🤣

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I’ve been playing a bunch of Halo Infinite multiplayer lately so I decided to refresh my memory of what Halo 5 was like.

Holy shit. It’s not even Series X enhanced but it has Dolby Vision and honestly it looked pretty amazing.

Are there any other older Xbox One games that look great just because of art style/HDR utilization and therefore would look great on an OLED?
I have TCL microled and while viewing angles are shit HDR implementation makes games look 'next-gen' to me! Special K is a very nice SDR->HDR utility if you on PC.

T-Cake

I've had my OLED a couple of weeks now. At first I really didn't get what all the fuss was about; it looked not much different to my old television. But now after using it for gaming, TV, films I can really see the difference - especially at night when something is black like a title card. Absolutely no light whatsoever.

DJ12

I have a qn95a and a g95sc super ultrawide 49 oled monitor, there is very little difference between the two as far as image quality goes, obviously the qn95a is far brighter.

I like the monitor but on reflection the risk of burn in verse the back-light across the zones is probably not worth it.

I'd have brought the qned from last year.

Last edited:
Don't feed the Trolls brother! I'm tired of commenting when people make statements that OLEDs are too dark and such, and I question whether they actually own an OLED TV. I have a LG C8 65" OLED TV, and have been gaming on it daily since 2018. It's on my 3rd floor beach house. We have two balconies on the 3rd floor, so there are a lot of windows and lots of light filtering into the room. I usually put the front balcony shade down, and gaming on my TV is perfectly fine during the day. At night I watch my 4K UHD movies collection, and nothing looks better than an OLED TV. It is plenty bright. I'm currently looking at the 77" C2 or C3. Don't need the G3. Don't mind it, but don't need it either.

As for gaming on my LG OLED. I, too, turn off the HDR mode when playing first-person shooting games (all of the COD games), and musical rhythm games where precise inputs are warranted. With HDR on, the input lag affects the outcome of the games, and they are quite noticeable. With HDR off, my inputs are precise for those genre of games. I have HDR on for all other genre like RPGs and so on. :messenger_peace:
My first Oled was an LG OLED65C8PLA 🙂. I had it for five years and watched mixed content and was very happy with the television. Ultimately I only upgraded because of wanting a 120hz panel for gaming at 40fps. The G2 EVO panel is a nice leap though over the previous C8 panel!

PnCIa

Still using my vt60 Panasonic plasma, that is an amazing TV to this day if you are not into retina-burning brightness. For my desktop usage i have recently switched to a 27inch Asus oled...and i cant go back to LCDs. Ever since i had to throw my last crt in the trash i yearned for blacks being black and not greyish blobs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One side note to lg oled users. Check out dynamic tone mapping. I know hgig is the correct and recommended setting but DTM looks so nice and bright sometimes. Like it makes the image come to life.
And even more blasphemous… you can calibrate games or ps5 hdr screen with dtm on too if you play with it. It will lead to 4k nits signal downscaled to your tv nits so about 800nits. Just like in movies

TheStam

I love my OLED screens. Next upgrade I dream of would be a PC monitor 42-48 inch 21:9 ultrawide. 4k, 240hz, 2000 nits. Would probably cost an arm and a leg on top of the rig to run that rez, but in a couple of years.

One side note to lg oled users. Check out dynamic tone mapping. I know hgig is the correct and recommended setting but DTM looks so nice and bright sometimes. Like it makes the image come to life.
And even more blasphemous… you can calibrate games or ps5 hdr screen with dtm on too if you play with it. It will lead to 4k nits signal downscaled to your tv nits so about 800nits. Just like in movies
100% THIS. It's amazing on my LG G3

Last edited:
Top Bottom