• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer Drinking champ finds out drinking 6 litres of beer not so smart. Dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

http://www.thelocal.es/20130719/beer-competition-death

Shortly after winning the beer drinking prize at a festival in Spain's Murcia region, Joaquín Alcaraz Gracia began to vomit.

Before that "he was fine", explained Antonio Alcaraz told Spanish newspaper Hoy.

"He had drunk six litres of beer, and when he won he lifted the trophy.

"Then he just started to vomit without stopping and he never spoke again," Alcaraz said.

It was a tragic end to the beer drinking competition in Murcia's Gea y Truyols district.

Rules of the competitive booze-up are straightforward. Contestants have to down as many litre-glasses of beer as they can in 20 minutes.

"But it seems Joaquín's body said enough was enough," said witness Santiago García of the man emergency officials later described as "obese".

"He started to vomit in his chair. I was one of the people who held him upright," said the man.

"He vomited a lot but I sat with him for ten minutes, and he was sleeping and snoring away," municipality vice president Pedro Rodríguez told Hoy newspaper.

Sadly, Gracia wasn't sleeping. By the time emergency officials turned up at the scene, he was in cardiac arrest.

"When he arrived in the emergency unit, his vitals signs were very weak," said workers at the local hospital he was taken to.

He died shortly afterwards.

Local mayor José Manuel Gracia told Hoy newspaper the cause of the beer drinking king's death was not yet clear.

The official defended the town's beer festival saying it had a long tradition.

But he did say that further festivities have been suspended. Local authorities have also called for a three-day official period of mourning
6 liters. I can barley believe it.

SaskBoy

Local mayor José Manuel Gracia told Hoy newspaper the cause of the beer drinking king's death was not yet clear.

Hmm. Seems like drinking 6 litres of beer in 20 minutes might have killed him.

Ugh, such a bad way to go. RIP.

You joke about something like this?

That is toastless.

You shouldn't hop to conclusions. That pun was the yeast he could do given the circumstances.

This reminds me of that story of the woman (mother of 2 I think) who died after winning a water-drinking contest. Her prize was a Wii.

SUPREME1

Banned
That's 202oz for America GAF.

Shit, I drank a total of about 160oz at the county fair a couple years back. But it was over the course of a couple hours. And half of them were shit lite beer as well.

This dude did 202 in 20 minutes. Damn son.

RIP Champ.

DLukkAI.jpg
DLukkAI.jpg

DLukkAI.jpg
DLukkAI.jpg

DLukkAI.jpg
DLukkAI.jpg

In twenty minutes.

Also this story is sort of eerily reminiscent of the blueberry pie story from Stand By Me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm actually sorta shocked that 6 liters of beer in 20 minutes would kill you. It wouldn't surprise me if the vomiting stressed out his heart too much, it's a strenuous act.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shoulda gone with Miller Lite. Never fills you up, never lets you down.

Honestly, I'm surprised someone would die on 12 pints of beer. I would have guessed you'd pass out, but that's like what, .037?

Ah man maybe I dodged a bullet when I tried and failed to drink a 3L can of Asahi through a beer bong. I remember puking up the 2L I got down was a surprisingly pleasant experience. It was still cold and foamy.

Mudkips

Banned
Zicke, zacke, zicke, zacke, beaten beaten beaten!

Of course 6 liters will fuck your shit. I think some people in this thread are confusing liters and pints.

This is like 17-18 beers. It's not a good idea, but it shouldn't *kill* a guy.

In high school, didn't we all have a friend who funnelled a 750-mL bottle of vodka and had to get carted away to the hospital?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah man maybe I dodged a bullet when I tried and failed to drink a 3L can of Asahi through a beer bong. I remember puking up the 2L I got down was a surprisingly pleasant experience. It was still cold and foamy.

That's about 6 pints of beer, I don't think it would come close to killing you. What this guy had was around 12 pints, which is potentially lethal, although I'm surprised he would die that quickly on that dose. Lots and lots of people live through that, although they get a lot of stomach pumpings, etc.

Thorakai

I had 80 ounces of beer in about 12 minutes when I was a stupid freshman. I was fine for the first 30 minutes but then ended up vomiting it all up and more non-stop. That day definitely taught me how to respect the power of alcohol.

Sad. But I can understand not immediately knowing the cause of death. Six liters of anything in a short time is a very bad idea, as mentioned.

We know what liters are god dammit!

Yeah, I can't easily envision 202 ounces, but I can easily envision 6 liters. It's like three two-liter soda bottles. When it comes to metric, I personally am mostly just unfamiliar with large distances (M/KM) and weight.

Rafterman

Banned
This is like 17-18 beers. It's not a good idea, but it shouldn't *kill* a guy.

In high school, didn't we all have a friend who funnelled a 750-mL bottle of vodka and had to get carted away to the hospital?

It's not the alcohol, it's the quantity of liquid. Straight up water can kill you in that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom