• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man drinks 3 litres of Coca-Cola a day, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I'm glad I stopped drinking soda 2 years ago. It was pretty easy to down multiple cans a day without realizing it.

Sounds like left sided heart failure if his lungs went edematous. Could have been developing for a long time given his habits. I bet his heart is huge.

Or FVO, but it sounds like this issue is long term.

I'm pretty sure I drink more than 3 litres of water a day, hasn't killed me
yet

fb0.jpg

How would his lungs be affected?

But anyway, what a useless way to go. I love coke and even I think that much is disgusting. Ugh.

The left ventricle, which takes in blood from the lungs, ends up overburdened from the excess fluid volume and can't keep up, and the increased pressure in the pulmonary veins is enough to force fluid out of the vascular space and into the lungs. Pulmonary edema, yo.

Drinking 3 liters of water a day is nothing for a healthy adult, but 3 liters of soda is a different beast since there's so much sugar and salt in it, and if your kidneys don't keep up and filter it all out they end up overwhelmed, and then the water in your body is going to stick around where all the salt is built up. Then your only shot is correcting the fucked up electrolytes in combination with some military-grade antiHTN's/diuretics.

It's hard to fault the guy. He probably didn't have any obvious S/Sx until the 11th hour. The body is pretty good at compensating for fluid problems, but shit sucks when it can't compensate anymore since its crisis mode when it happens.

It is VERY difficult. I went from having a soda with both lunch and dinner almost daily. On top of that I regularly would drink it during the day too.

If you're serious about it, you'll have some tough headaches ahead of you, but make it through that and you'll be fine. I will have one here and there (most times on weekends with dinner) but to be honest it doesn't taste as good as it used to. So it does get easier to say no after that point.

I'm seemingly not physically addicted as I did reduce soda before when I was (I was bedridden for one of the headaches). But not its just getting used to it psychologically. I always am used to coke with meals and when thirsty and its like somethings missing.

I only drink soda if I'm mixing it with rum or some other liquor.

that's my plan. or on very rare occasions.

JambiBum

It doesn't matter what liquid it was. I almost died from drinking 14 canteens of water in like 4 hours one day in the Air Force. I couldn't stand up anymore and I had to be taken to the hospital. Coke was just used for the attention grabbing headline.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
He "gulped" the soda "alongside water". It's not 3L and out. This article is blatant sensationalist crap and people are biting.

Sounds like he was gulping down water by the gallon and mixing in some Coca Cola by the liter to boot. 3 Liters is a safe amount of liquid to consume in a day (spread out, of course) so he must have been drinking a crap ton of water. (Note 3 liters in like 10 minutes is not safe at all)

Nope, he had aspergers, no empathy at all.

Nah, he had empathy - people with Asperger's just have an abnormal sense of empathy. You're thinking of sociopaths, and he could have easily been one I suppose.

Moppet13

Jesus christ .. how? Most i ever drank is probably 4 cans of coke in a day.

It was pretty easy actually wherever I went I would get a soda, whenever I was at poker I would drink usually 2-3 cans an hour since they were free. Wake up in the morning and get a soda, go out for lunch get a soda and refill it a couple of times, hanging out with friends time for more soda. Definitely not a smart or a good decision but I never really though about it at the time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing is that you're dehydrating yourself more at the same time. It's why when someone says 'why' that's why. Soda just makes you more thirsty.

Seanspeed

Banned
So it had nothing to do with the fact that it was soda then?

The left ventricle, which takes in blood from the lungs, ends up overburdened from the excess fluid volume and can't keep up, and the increased pressure in the pulmonary veins is enough to force fluid out of the vascular space and into the lungs. Pulmonary edema, yo.

Drinking 3 liters of water a day is nothing for a healthy adult, but 3 liters of soda is a different beast since there's so much sugar and salt in it, and if your kidneys don't keep up and filter it all out they end up overwhelmed, and then the water in your body is going to stick around where all the salt is built up. Then your only shot is correcting the fucked up electrolytes in combination with some military-grade antiHTN's/diuretics.

It's hard to fault the guy. He probably didn't have any obvious S/Sx until the 11th hour. The body is pretty good at compensating for fluid problems, but shit sucks when it can't compensate anymore since its crisis mode when it happens.
Oh ok.

Darkkn

I love to drink something when i sit in front of the computer, which i do a lot. I really need to curb cola from my habits tho.

youarealreadydead.jpg :/

She was known to have smoked around 30 cigarettes a day, suffered from blood pressure problems and had had her teeth removed because of decay. One or more of her children had been born without tooth enamel

What.

Busaiku

Wait, is it only due to the fact that it's a liquid or something else?
Cause I drink a ton of water a day (like 3-4 gallons).

Wait, is it only due to the fact that it's a liquid or something else?
Cause I drink a ton of water a day (like 3-4 gallons).
3-4 gallons is a tad excessive and probably will overwhelm your body.
.5 - 1 gallon is what you should strive for.

But no, it wasnt just the liquid. Still, you should cut that water intake. If you need that much water, you might want to see a doctor.

Edit: Constant thirst can be a sign of kidney failure or diabetes.

The thing is that you're dehydrating yourself more at the same time. It's why when someone says 'why' that's why. Soda just makes you more thirsty.

Not really. If that was true then the folks who drink nothing but soda would check out in a few days instead of years. You could argue that they're being kept alive from the bits of water they get from food and aerobic respiration, but I put my money on caffeine tolerance combined with that - even in caffeine-naive folks - caffeine is a really weak diuretic. You're not 'losing' water by drinking soda anyway, you're just not retaining as much as you would without the caffeine.

Christ, in my house we go through one 3 liter bottle of Coke Zero a day. And it's just my wife and me... and she doesn't drink that much, so at least 2 liters are all me.

Then again I don't drink much of anything else like this guy, so maybe it's ok.

Busaiku

But no, it wasnt just the liquid. Still, you should cut that water intake. If you need that much water, you might want to see a doctor.

Edit: Constant thirst can be a sign of kidney failure or diabetes.

My last checkup said everything was fine, so I dunno.
This isn't something new either.

DiscoJer

3 liters doesn't seem like that much. That's what, 100 ounces? A typical glass is about 6-8 ounces, so that's about 12-15 glasses a day, which if spread out over 16 hours.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
How would his lungs be affected?

But anyway, what a useless way to go. I love coke and even I think that much is disgusting. Ugh.

Excess fluid builds up around your internal organs when your kidneys cant process the fluid into urine quick enough. This pressure constricts the organs. In this case they seem to have affected his ability to breathe.

Also, what endresults said.

Videoneon

Thanks for the crash course. Same for mugurumakensei, Router and others who've got helpful comments on health.

Now my thoughts wander to something like this: does this person also possess an addictive personality? The article mentions forcibly taking away cigarettes because the person would want to smoke 20 an hour. Was he addicted, or is he addictive...I don't know if there's a distinction to be honest. Tobacco and Coke are clearly addictive too. I don't know much about Asperger's but I wouldn't think that has much to do with this.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Remember caffeine is a stimulant drug. Having something with caffeine is fine in moderation on a daily basis (Though not quite healthy), but if you have too much of it everyday...

'the coca cola effect'

There is so much salt in a bottle of cola... it is a drink designed to dehydrate you (with tons of sugar to hide the taste of the salt) so you'll get more thirsty and want to drink more.
It's the same effect as drinking sea water...

It doesn't get much higher on the evil scale than your beloved coke.

Probably one of those things more enlightened societies in 500 years will look back on and shake their heads.

I wonder how much Red Bull you can drink before it kills you. I love that drink (too bad it's stupidly expensive).

You ain't drinking three gallons or 3L of that. Because of the amount of caffeine, you'll OD on caffeine long before you get fluid buildup which will most likely put you into a state of shock.

I'm just going to nod at this like I fully understand.

*nods*

diamount

Banned
Remember caffeine is a stimulant drug. Having something with caffeine is fine in moderation on a daily basis (Though not quite healthy), but if you have too much of it everyday...

That's a broad statement to make. Coffee in the morning is a meal replace for those intermittent fasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom