• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 3D Soulslike?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Which games are best at copying From just played Mortal Shell and it was goooooooood Deep Down artstyles

EDIT this is game is terrible and broken my friends

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Anyone that says Lords of the Fallen (original) is dead to me.

Personally I haven't played many, with only Nier Nioh coming to mind as the closest. I don't think that counts though, despite some influence being there.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wo long is the best, if you can ignore it's boring story and overwhelming looting part. Nioh is the second best. Mortal Shell's combat wasn't that good so I deleted it after 10 minutes.

GymWolf

Lol mortal shell was kinda dogshit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

For me it's nioh, but they have shitty level design and the first one has shitty enemy variety or the surge saga that i like more because i like scifi over japanese culture.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Lol mortal shell was kinda dogshit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

For me it's nioh, but they have shitty level design and the first one has shitty enemy variety or the surge saga that i like more because i like scifi over japanese culture.
Hey pal I just started it I dunno

Wo long is the best, if you can ignore it's boring story and overwhelming looting part. Nioh is the second best. Mortal Shell's combat wasn't that good so I deleted it after 10 minutes.

I must try this now how could I have missed this

ninja-sword.gif

GymWolf

Hey pal I just started it I dunno

I must try this now how could I have missed this

ninja-sword.gif
I don't wanna piss in your soup, if you have fun, that's the most important thing.

I tried like 5 times to get into the game but i jist hate almost everything about it except the graphic and decent hit reactions\ragdoll.

I have to give mortal shell a second try, didn't like the combat fluidity. I completed the surge 1 and nioh 1, and tried many others. Surge is good for the aesthetic, and nioh for the challenge (even though I suffered like a bitch due to my outrageous build)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Nioh 2 and Code Vein are really good for different reasons. Nioh 2 is the better game but it's so different from Souls in many ways, it feels like it's own thing. Code Vein is more familiar to Souls, the anime artstyle is not for everyone but I really enjoyed having a companion at all times.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't wanna piss in your soup, if you have fun, that's the most important thing.

I tried like 5 times to get into the game but i jist hate almost everything about it except the graphic and decent hit reactions\ragdoll.
The Chinese dynasty story sucks and over complicated(Lu bu was cool though). Trying to remember similar Chinese names didn't help either. And it was released with technical issues on Pc so it couldn't deliver the expected impact. However, if you know and trust the developer, there's a fantastic game with combat mechanics as good as Sekiro waiting for you(magic sucks, don't bother with it). I think it's an unofficial Sekiro sequel set in China; I played it for days and thoroughly enjoyed it. I heard there might be DLC coming out, so if it gets cheaper, I might give it another go.

GymWolf

The Chinese dynasty story sucks and over complicated(Lu bu was cool though). Trying to remember similar Chinese names didn't help either. And it was released with technical issues on Pc so it couldn't deliver the expected impact. However, if you know and trust the developer, there's a fantastic game with combat mechanics as good as Sekiro waiting for you(magic sucks, don't bother with it). I think it's an unofficial Sekiro sequel set in China; I played it for days and thoroughly enjoyed it. I heard there might be DLC coming out, so if it gets cheaper, I might give it another go.
What game are you talking about? Wo long?

Because i already played both nioh games.

In my post i was talking about mortal shite.

Last edited:

Hudo

Oh, I've forgotten Code Vein. Well, Code Vein was fun for what it was. So I choose that.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

got Mortal Shells for 2 bucks and thoughts I owned the world but just played for another hour and the combat is kinda crud ohhhhh well

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Giga saw this thread and was like

adam sandler speedo GIF by Saturday Night Live
They mades the game 2 bucks because it sold a millions its not great but pretty goord for the price of a chocolate bar

Virex

Banned
Code Vein was really good. Enjoy it and all the nice titties in the game. And I liked Nioh 1 and 2 also. Surge 1 is also really good. The rest are kind of crappy. I've had Wo Long(love you long time) since launch but I haven't started it yet. And I ordered a copy of Lies Of P also and I liked the demo. So let's hope it's good.

On a more serious note. Can't we just motherfucking cunt fuck shit just get a SEKIRO 2. Please From just make it.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nioh 2 surpasses Souls games in combat. The first Surge game was great as well with the limb mechanics, very awesome idea. Shame they decided to make a generic Forspoken-like game instead of further improving the souls-like formula and make a real amazing sci-fi souls game. What a bunch of idiots.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Elden Ring.

No, but really I would say Nioh. I've only played the original, but I'm sure the sequel is even better.

I_D

If you want pure Dark Souls gameplay, your best bet is The Surge 1.

The level-design is better than DS2's and DS3's, and close to DS1's.
The build-variety is solid, and there's plenty of content to find and explore.
It's difficult, but fair.
It's WAY more Souls-like than The Surge 2.

Flaws include one lame boss, a stupid storyline, and slightly-basic combat (compared to something like Elden Ring).

Last edited:
The Surge

Haven't played the sequel yet but I thought this game was so, so much better than I expected. Especially the atmosphere was surprising as hell. It was oppressive and tense as fuck. I remember being deep down in the bowels of the factory somewhere, looking up and it's all smoke, blinking lights, the sky somewhere a mile above and churning metal noises.

Then there's the combat which is actually crunchy, hard-hitting and brutal. Those garbled human pain sounds are especially creepy. Dismemberment mechanic is A+ and never got old. Getting the appropriate loot to what you hack off was such a cool idea.

Is it PERFECT? No. But it's really damn good in my book and a very solid 8.5/10. People talk about Sci-Fi Souls and this is Sci-Fi Demon's Souls specifically imo. Never understand why it got slagged off at release at all.

John Bilbo

If you want pure Dark Souls gameplay, your best bet is the Surge 1.

Flaws include one lame boss, a stupid storyline, and slightly-basic combat (compared to something like Elden Ring).
wdZXB8g.png
tk6UVk4.png

Both Surge games are currently on heavy discount on Steam!

Edit: I think I'll pick the first one up.

Last edited:
If you want pure Dark Souls gameplay, your best bet is The Surge 1.

I agree with the level design comment. The Surge has great level design similar to Demon's Souls if I had to take a direct pick and that's a big compliment.

The fact the levels are functional places allowing them to put in-world signs for exits, elevators and area names is really cool.

The first Wo Long DLC not only came out, but received a patch. It added unarmed Kung Fu and more missions. The next two DLCs will arrive in the coming year.

Virex

Banned
wdZXB8g.png
tk6UVk4.png

Both Surge games are currently on heavy discount on Steam!

Edit: I think I'll pick the first one up.
Surge 2 wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it, but it was a lot easier than Surge 1. Surge 1 has some great level design and the combat is tight, I like it tight.

So do yourself a favour and get The Surge 1 and also Code Vein. If you don't...well then you'll have to suffer the consequences. My Dad owns Steam and I'll have him ban you

John Bilbo

Surge 2 wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it, but it was a lot easier than Surge 1. Surge 1 has some great level design and the combat is tight, I like it tight.

So do yourself a favour and get The Surge 1 and also Code Vein. If you don't...well then you'll have to suffer the consequences. My Dad owns Steam and I'll have him ban you
I already have Code Vein. My Dad owns the man who owns Microsoft. You will never game again.

I've loved both Nioh games' combat systems but I still think almost everything around it runs out of steam as soon as you settle into a comfortable combo and play style.

The level designs are the same two or three templates over and over and boring as hell, encounter design devolves into the game seemingly spamming random enemy combinations too often, enemy variety isn't great so combined with the spam encounters you see a ton of what the game has to offer within hours. Then there's the endless fucking sub-sub-sub-sub-sub systems, loot vomit, heinous UI and what not.

I was really hoping they'd tighten their formula up for Nioh 2 but instead doubled-down and just added even more STUFF. I know a lot of people like to tinker with all that but I vastly prefer lean, tighter design. I quit both games about halfway through, wish they'd do a Nioh 3 and really work on encounters and levels instead of more sub systems.

Top Bottom