• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Dev: Naughty Dog, Insomniac, or From?

Historical poll

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 109 40.5%
  • Insomniac

Votes: 39 14.5%
  • From

Votes: 121 45.0%

• Total voters

sircaw

Banned
I would put Fromsoftware at the top of that pile.

I think their creativity stands out the most to me.

Reactions: Isa

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don't think any studio is as well rounded as Naughty Dog when it comes to combining gameplay, graphics and story together

Insomniac Games are getting close though

Bernardougf

Gold Member
For me is From!

Never I had a game series (souls/borne/sekiro) made me not like to play other games, From and Miyaza san changed the game (no pun intended) for me and theres no going back

TonyK

I just finished Uncharted 4 again and I was amazed like the first day. No other developer can match them in these type of cinematic games. For comparison, I finished Guardian of the galaxy some weeks ago, and narratively, detail, animations, acting, gameplay, all, is mediocre compared with Uncharted 4. Naughty is simply in another level.

Said that, my most hyped game this year is Elden Ring. My problem is that From Software is a person, Miyazaki, but I think that From software without him would be nothing.

giphy.gif

• LOL

Boss Mog

From is out of the running because technically they suck, their games are often ugly and don't run well (frame-pacing in Bloodborne comes to mind). Insomniac and ND are masterclass technically, especially Insomniac, producing insane graphics with RT at 60fps on PS5. TLOU2 was overall disappointing for me so I'll give it to Insomniac.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would have picked Naughty Dog had they not gone all woke on us. Right now, I don't know.

Best gameplay would probably go to From, but from a technical level they are easily the weakest of the 3. I'd have to go with Insomniac.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Yoda

Not sure FROM belongs in such a comparison as their games are quite different from insomniac and naughty dog. Between Insomniac and ND I'd go w/the former. Voted for FROM because their my favorite studio, but as I said, odd poll.

From a performance standpoint on original IP, I think you'd be hard-pressed to go with someone outside of Naughty Dog here.

Even without being multiplatform Naughty Dog has probably outsold all From Software games.

Insomniac had great success with Spider-Man but none of their original IP have been anywhere close to the level of success as Uncharted or Last of Us. So you're talking 7 original games that have all performed better than ANYTHING Insomniac has done (with original IP).*

*Maybe a couple of the Ratchet and Clank games over time have performed as well as Lost Legacy...

Insomniac has growth potential, but there is a reason they sold for 229 million. They really haven't executed yet. Who knows how long they'll have the Spider-Man license. Short of Sony and Disney merging, I don't think they'll have Spider-Man and Wolverine forever. And I hope for their talent they produce an effective original IP this gen.

slade

Naughty Dog. Uncharted 4, TLL and TLoU2 were some of the best games from last gen.

Insomniac is close with the two Spiderman games and I loved From's Sekiro and to a lesser extent, Bloodborne.

Stuart360

From Software. I adore Souls/Souls style games, and they are the best at them.

Uncharted 2 and 3 era ND are right up there too though, freaking loved those games.

arvfab

Banned
Love all 3, but ND is on another level. Technology, gameplay and story telling are mastered almost to perfection by them.

From makes great games, with extremely good gameplay, but lack on a technological level.

Insomniac are probably the most constant and productive devs right now. They make overall great games.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why no more options?

For me it is Polyphony Digital.

From the 3 listed Naughty Dogs by a mile.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

From software games arw great but fuck me they have no clue how to optimise a game that is stable on 30fps, naughty dog are incredibly talented but insomnia has only made one good game after resistance 3 which was spiderman so from that choice id say naughty dog, but overall my favourite and mosst talented imo is remedy

wvnative

Insomniac

I don't care about FROM's games

Naughty Dog is great but too inconsistent imo. IMO they have more varying quality

SpokkX

From of course

Insomniac are good. A top dev for sure

ND is a distant third. They make great movies but are quite bad at gameplay

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Naughty Dog. Not particularly close either. FROM isnt even in the same galaxy.

For instance their games are all shit on the technical side. Top tier devs excel at everything.

Isa

What kind of list is that? What criteria did you use to lump them together? They each do their own thing, so far removed from the others its wrong to even compare them, and by what means? Overall gfx? Total nominations and awards by media outlets I couldn't give a toss about? Mocap quality and use? Sound design? Concept art? Storyboards, design and implementation?

On a personal level for me its Fromsoft overlapping easily. They do more with such a smaller budget, with greater diversity in game design and teams, whereas looking back most of ND and Insomniac's stuff has been very similar, cinematic action adventures in a linear or open world fashion. I think ND has great talent and spends the most of it on animation and detail but that they were more impressive during the Jak & Daxter era since they had to work with more fantastical ideas, designs and animations(which were among the absolute best in the industry in my opinion). Plus more varied game design, whereas since Uncharted to TLoU I've been playing the same game.

Insomniac has room to grow, and is also very talented. I also haven't enjoyed either of the two most recent Ratchet titles which is a shame because I used to LOVE them. They too seem to not want to push themselves in game design, relying on easier straightforward experiences. I miss the humor and spaceflight. But they are a really solid developer with incredible output at a consistent pace and quality.

But From is on another level. Artistically varied, creating games spanning quite different genres, with incredible gameplay that is first and foremost front and center. For perspective on influence, how many games try to ape ND and Insomniac, compared to what From has done? There are so many Souls clones, inspired by's, not to mention the overused Soulslike and Dark Souls of descriptors thrown around by gamers and developers/marketing teams. For me the prior two are like eating a huge cake or fast food. The image sold is impressive but not long lasting and failed to leave a lasting impression, whereas From are like a heart family dinner, keeping me coming back for more. All my friends and family talk about it long after the event and its something to ponder and anticipate. I also think putting Miyazaki up on a pedestal whilst ignoring the work of the rest of the team(s) is wrong, game design is a group effort and their achievements shouldn't be understated. Every captain needs a good crew, and vice versa.

Top Bottom