• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Rpg battlesystem

luffie

Nail on the head. Magic gameplay especially with buffs, counters and so forth. Haven't found a game that does the strategic element of spells as well since.
Ikr, you aren't scratching the boss when they have 7 eyes protection, Fire shield, Globe of invulnerability and mirror image spells up.

You'll get killed by 10 goblins in "heart of fury" mode, but you can also cast Entanglement and Wail of Banshee to wipe out 8 in one go. Casting low level spells like Sleep is one of the best strategies to isolate enemies.

Or you can always cast Protection from Evil and let loose a level 9 Balor demon on rampage.

The only closest thing right now is Divinity 2, but it's armor system is one big mechanic flaw.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Xenogears truly has a one of a kind battle system. I love everything about it. It's a shame what was done with the Xeno series after this.

I always told myself if DragonBall ever decides to do another turn based JRPG again, it should try to adopt this.

Oh, the memories! Even a short scene such as that is full of what Xenogears is all about.
Never noticed that it says “Kelvina” in battle. Way too many botched English adaptations in that script.

Still, I remember the battle system not being all that flexible. It was mostly about learning Deathblows ASAP and spamming them.

Chrono Cross, by far.
Great system, yup. Pity that some facultative bosses are all about sticking to a very rigid pattern, like Dario and Cryosphinx, instead of exploiting the system’s strengths to the max. Chrono Cross is rarely truly challenging if you are careful to max your stats between bosses, with notable exceptions like Miguel.

sublimit

Banned
Are we talking ActionRPG or Turn-based RPG?

If we're talking Action it's Dragon's Dogma and if we're talking Turn-Based it's either Final Fantasy X or Valkyria Chronicles (although the latter is more of a mix than pure turn -based)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
32087.jpg

Griffon

FF7 Remake is the best. A really impressive use of both ATB and real time elements that doesn't dim the tactical aspect one bit (actually much better on that front than the original).

Last edited:
Top Bottom