• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OCTOPATH Travler 1&2 are the best rpg series released this generation!

amigastar

I really wanna play Octopath Traveler 2 but i still have a good backlog to finish. The game is too expensive though.

DonF

Originally published as a Nintendo first party game.

Xbox paid for a port and a Gamepass deal, whereas I don't see Sony interested in paying for something like that.
maaaan. Bummer, I guess Im going to look for deals on the switch version.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As a JRPG noob, I really need some serious recommendations. I came in here looking for some, and with every other discussion I've found, there's major disagreements on whether certain jrpgs are amazing or not worth playing.
Chrono Trigger might be the best starting point for anyone wanting to get into JRPGs. Game is kinda short compared to others in the same genre, it's easy, it's pretty and it sounds great, plus the story has great pacing as you never spend too much time in the same place.

Another recommendations:
Want something comfy and with a grounded sense of fantasy: Dragon Quest, I'd recommend starting with IV or V on the Nintendo DS.
Want a challenge with some Pokémon-like mechanics and a darker tone: Shin Megami Tensei. I'd recommend V.
Want less of a challenge but still want those Pokémon-like mechanics while being surrounded by waifus: Persona. I'd recommend 5.
Want a fast-paced game with lots of customization for your party: Final Fantasy V.

Guess there's something about the number 5 and good JRPGs. :goog_relieved:

Mister Wolf

Which trails though ? It is better vs Cold Steel as the latter just was meh, IMO. Mind you, “meh” for Falcom is still worth playing.

Trails_into_Reverie_Cover_Art.jpg

StereoVsn

Chrono Trigger might be the best starting point for anyone wanting to get into JRPGs. Game is kinda short compared to others in the same genre, it's easy, it's pretty and it sounds great, plus the story has great pacing as you never spend too much time in the same place.

Another recommendations:
Want something comfy and with a grounded sense of fantasy: Dragon Quest, I'd recommend starting with IV or V on the Nintendo DS.
Want a challenge with some Pokémon-like mechanics and a darker tone: Shin Megami Tensei. I'd recommend V.
Want less of a challenge but still want those Pokémon-like mechanics while being surrounded by waifus: Persona. I'd recommend 5.
Want a fast-paced game with lots of customization for your party: Final Fantasy V.

Guess there's something about the number 5 and good JRPGs. :goog_relieved:
I would throw in DQXI for a bit modernized but still very much traditional Dragon Quest game. And it’s pretty darn cheap on sale.

As a JRPG noob, I really need some serious recommendations. I came in here looking for some, and with every other discussion I've found, there's major disagreements on whether certain jrpgs are amazing or not worth playing.
Octopath II. (Skip I)
DQ XI

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
MAX PAYMENT MAX PAYMENT if you want an ARPG instead check out Secret of Evermore for something retro or the Ys games for something more modern. I've barely played the Ys games but Oath in Felghana is amazing.

Secret of Evermore gets extra points for having the OST composed by Jeremy Soule. Man TESVI is gonna suck so much without him. :lollipop_crying:

Incredulous Bill Murray GIF by reactionseditor

I is also a cool game, kinda easy but still enjoyable imo. Was the sequel such an improvement that it makes the first one obsolete?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Chrono Trigger is the best starting point but kind of hard to find. I'd honestly suggest Sea of Stars. Cheap and available on everything. Great pacing. Only 30 hours instead of 100. Its not Japanese but its clearly a tribute to Chrono Trigger.

MAX PAYMENT MAX PAYMENT if you want an ARPG instead check out Secret of Evermore for something retro or the Ys games for something more modern. I've barely played the Ys games but Oath in Felghana is amazing.

Secret of Evermore gets extra points for having the OST composed by Jeremy Soule. Man TESVI is gonna suck so much without him. :lollipop_crying:

Incredulous Bill Murray GIF by reactionseditor

I is also a cool game, kinda easy but still enjoyable imo. Was the sequel such an improvement that it makes the first one obsolete?
💯 yes. I too played and enjoyed 1 warts & all back in 2018. But II is just like a perfect sequel, and literally you miss out on nothing if you skip I.

Last edited:

TheStam

I'm not a huge fan of turn-based Jrpgs, but Octopath Traveller 2 is one of the best I've played. It's gorgeous, perfect on Steam Deck, Soundtrack is top tier and also has good characters and stories. I generally don't like unavoidable random battles, but could stomach them here. Still haven't finished it after 65 hours but guess I'm pretty close to the end. They could maybe have trimmed some fat, but it's a good time all in all.

ReyBrujo

The main advantage of Chrono Trigger is literally zero grinding. Everything is perfectly balanced so that if you have the right equipment and defeat the enemies you find along your path you will be able to finish the game (although some of the bosses are tighter than others). Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy usually require some grinding in order to have any chances. I would suggest Live a Live, which is a modern take on the Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger concept, it is also a zero grinding game, it's basically like 6-8 different RPGs of about 3-5 hours each that you need to beat to reach the climax.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

If you want the best, the "modern" Personas (3, 4, and 5) are basically the highest rated JRPG series this side of the millennium. According to a recent GAF poll, voting on which is best is almost completely even, with a slight edge to 4. You can play them in any order.

In my opinion, the second best JRPG series since the millennium are the Xenoblade Chronicles games. All 3 are on Switch, with 1 being a 9/10, 2 being an 8/10, and 3 being a 10/10. It's important to play these games in order, though, even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Every game basically has a DLC/Epilogue as well. 1 and 3's DLCs are essential, 2's is just okay and can be safely skipped.

The downside to both of these series is that each game is basically over 100 hours long if you stop to do most of the side quests.

If you want a shorter JRPG, play some of the retro classics (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI) or play Sea of Stars.

If you're interested in strategy RPG's, Switch has you covered there as well, with titles like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Triangle Strategy, and Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

If you still don't know where to start, and want to try a demo before you buy, Octopath 2, Triangle Strategy, and Sea of Stars all have demos you can play to see what you like.

I'm not a huge fan of turn-based Jrpgs, but Octopath Traveller 2 is one of the best I've played. It's gorgeous, perfect on Steam Deck, Soundtrack is top tier and also has good characters and stories. I generally don't like unavoidable random battles, but could stomach them here. Still haven't finished it after 65 hours but guess I'm pretty close to the end. They could maybe have trimmed some fat, but it's a good time all in all.
Yeah it’s 60 fps on Steam Deck. Definitely my preferred way to play

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shame on everyone here saying to skip part one. The game had some fascinating characters (and great voice acting, just like the second game). Personally, I thought the music in the first game was much better than the second - although II still had some great tracks.

Time to post this video again:

Krathoon

If you go through a keyshop, you can get the game for $36. Not bad.

I have not finished the first one on the switch.

Last edited:

Fbh

I need to try Octopath 2 one of these days.
I borrowed the original from a friend (on Switch) and just didn't click with it. Didn't finish it, but from what I played the story and writing were extremely forgettable (and I hated the lack of interaction between the story and characters), the world is generic and stuff like random encounters are a shitty archaic mechanic that should have stayed in the past.
The combat itself was fun though, and the music was great. I've heard the second one has a better plot and structure, though from my understanding random encounters are still there and it's still not a FFVI type story that's truly interconnected. So I'll wait until it's under $20 at some point in the future.

IMO the best JRPG this gen is Triangle Strategy. Fun gameplay and an engaging story with interesting characters and some of the best decision making of any RPG I've played.
I also liked Chained Echoes (not made in Japan) more than most Square stuff. Better level design, more interesting story and a retro feel that still embraces modern design ideas instead of being stuck in the past for the sake of nostalgia.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Chrono Trigger is the best starting point but kind of hard to find. I'd honestly suggest Sea of Stars. Cheap and available on everything. Great pacing. Only 30 hours instead of 100. Its not Japanese but its clearly a tribute to Chrono Trigger.
Chrono Triggers is like $10 on Steam or Mobile. Steam version is not bad.

StereoVsn

I need to try Octopath 2 one of these days.
I borrowed the original from a friend (on Switch) and just didn't click with it. Didn't finish it, but from what I played the story and writing were extremely forgettable (and I hated the lack of interaction between the story and characters), the world is generic and stuff like random encounters are shitty archaic mechanic that should have stayed in the past.
The combat itself was fun though, and the music was great. I've heard the second one has a better plot and structure, though from my understanding random encounters are still there and it's still not a FFVI type story that's truly interconnected. So I'll wait until it's under $20 at some point in the future.

IMO the best JRPG this gen is Triangle Strategy. Fun gameplay and an engaging story with interesting characters and some of the best decision making of any RPG I've played.
I also liked Chained Echoes (not made in Japan) more than most Square stuff. Better level design, more interesting story and a retro feel that still embraces modern design ideas instead of being stuck in the past for the sake of nostalgia.
Chained Echos is amazing and I recommend it to anyone who likes older JRPGs.

RavageX

After playing and finishing the first game except for the secret boss or whatever, I have to strongly disagree. Lame story for the most part, and I don't like the graphics. Side quests were ok, but many were nothing special.

Graphic-wise its personal preference but I expect to see MODERN graphics. Retro style is fine if I am playing a retro game. Same crazy stuff where they are charging full price for the "remastered" FF games that still look like NES.

To each his own, but yeah.

I own the second game as well, but I am probably just going to sell it. Lots of back and forth from it being better than the first or not, but ultimately I wasn't impressed by the series overall, and felt that I wasted my time playing it as much as I did.

EDMIX

I personally LOVED both games!

Agreed. I don't know if I can say "best RPG series" this gen, but....they are 2 very solid RPG titles.

Same with Bravely Default. Although I like BD much more, they are both great series imho.

Krathoon

Chrono Triggers is like $10 on Steam or Mobile. Steam version is not bad.
Yes the Steam version is good. It is just missing the Robo FMV for some reason.

...and I wish someone would make a mod to put the damn thing in already.

I bet it is pretty easy. I bet they left the trigger for the FMV in there.

EDMIX

But they did finally announce a port of part 2 for Xbox in 2024.

ok but...

Originally published as a Nintendo first party game.

Xbox paid for a port and a Gamepass deal, whereas I don't see Sony interested in paying for something like that.

I don't think any of that matters btw.

1. Octopath 1 came to PC, that had nothing to do with Nintendo, how it was "originally published" is not as relevant as many thing.

2. The IP is owned by Square, the publishing rights are owned by Square

3. Octopath 1 coming to PS seems to have more to do with if Square wants to or not then if Sony is interested in paying. After all, this is Square's game, they are the ones that make money from its sales to actually care about such a port....

So if we see that ported in the future or thru some collection, I think might have more to do with Square's plans then Sony's tbh.

These are new to me and holy shit are they a blast.
Did you actually finish the game? Because, yeah, the first few hours were fantastic and a joy to play. Halfway through the game and it felt extremely repetitive and the characters stories are disjointed.

Pimpbaa

I loved the first game, but the second game was just more of the same (and the secret jobs weren’t as good and not as fun to get). But still better than most jRPGs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My ranking would be one original and two remasters:

1. Unicorn Overlord
2. Tactics Ogre Rebirth
3. Star Ocean The Second Story R

I had the first Octopath Traveler and it felt like I’d rather play the games that inspired it.

Unicorn Overlord is S tier.

Woopah

ok but...

I don't think any of that matters btw.

1. Octopath 1 came to PC, that had nothing to do with Nintendo, how it was "originally published" is not as relevant as many thing.

2. The IP is owned by Square, the publishing rights are owned by Square

3. Octopath 1 coming to PS seems to have more to do with if Square wants to or not then if Sony is interested in paying. After all, this is Square's game, they are the ones that make money from its sales to actually care about such a port....

So if we see that ported in the future or thru some collection, I think might have more to do with Square's plans then Sony's tbh.
I think that as part of the deals that Nintendo did for OT, BD2 and Triangle Strategy, the games were allowed to come to PC before other consoles. Similar to other Square Exix deals, where console exclusivity is seperate from full exclusivity.

I do think Square could have brought Octopath to PS in 2021 if they wanted to, but that the reason they didn't isn't because they thought an Xbox port would be profitable and a PS port would not be.

I reckon Xbox did a deal to get the port made.

So I do believe that publishing deals can male a difference. Nintendo is partly the reason why OT and BD2 are on PC but not PlayStation, just like how Sony is partly the reason why the Nioh games are on PC but not Xbox.

Top Bottom