• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way (after VRR/updates) to play Elden Ring on PS5 ?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Quick question... whats the best way to play Elden Ring on Ps5 ?
Ps4 version or perfomance with VRR ????
(I want 60 fps )

Sorry if this topic was already discussed in the past but we had some updates and I would like some opinions..

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not a Sony Pony, but based on the tech stuff we've seen, the game has a fair number of drops below 48 FPS (48hz is the threshold for PS5's VRR). Try it an hour or so, if you still feel like you're seeing observable performance issues, you can always fall back on the PS4 Pro version for a locked performance trading for visuals.

Fbh

If you want proper 60fps then the Ps4 version on Ps5.

If you want higher res, better foliage and slightly better shadows but nowhere near locked 60fps then native Ps5 version.

I played through it after VRR had been added to Ps5 and the drops are still frequent and notorious, specially in the open areas. Partially because it can drop below the 48fps range at which VRR kicks in, and partially because even when it doesn't VRR isn't magic that will make a sustained 10-12 FPS drop below 60 unnoticeable.

tommib

Play the quality native 4K if you don’t mind inconsistent frame rates. That world looks much better detailed in fidelity mode. And when the PRO versions come, we’ll be able to play it at 60 fps. Unlocked frame rates for me any day of the week compared to locked 30.

Play the quality native 4K if you don’t mind inconsistent frame rates. That world looks much better detailed in fidelity mode. And when the PRO versions come, we’ll be able to play it at 60 fps. Unlocked frame rates for me any day of the week compared to locked 30.
I kind of wish it was unlocked up to 120fps for the ultímate future proofing

You need to try if you can bear the fps drops (when under 48fps using VRR). But there is not a big graphical difference between Pro version and PS5 version anyways as Pro is using the excellent CBR implementation already used in Sekiro. There are even less popin on Pro actually.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is this game ever going to go on sale?

It's still consistently ranking in the top 5 best selling games every month. They have no incentive to drop the price when there's still tons of people willing to buy it at full price.

PS4 on PS5 is still the best way to play Elden Ring on console. The pop-in is still pretty bad on PS5 and Series X. Series also has those longer loading times.

PS4 on PS5 > PS5=Series X > Series S > PS4 > Xbox One

Zathalus

PS4 on PS5 is still the best way to play Elden Ring on console. The pop-in is still pretty bad on PS5 and Series X. Series also has those longer loading times.

PS4 on PS5 > PS5=Series X > Series S > PS4 > Xbox One
Series loading times were patched in 1.05. Should be equal to PS5 now.

BreakOut

I play on performance with VRR, and only an extremely rare situation, do I even notice any frame dips. Performance mode with VRR and you will be fine, it’ll be pretty rare to see anything below 48.

FUBARx89

PS4 version if you want a rock solid 60fps.

I haven't tried it with forced VRR, I would imagine it improves it a little bit? But I'd still run it without vrr on ps5 as the drops weren't constant in my opinion.

MikeM

I’m not remotely touching this game until the pro consoles or I build my PC.

I'm curious, if you set your PS5 to display 1440p, will that force the dynamic resolution in Elden Ring to the lower range and give a more consistent framerate?

PS5 version in performance mode on a VRR tv/monitor is really quite good. The frames stay above 55fps for most of the game keeping you safely in range of the PS5's VRR. The people complaining about the sub 48fps drops are either really overstating things or trying to play in quality mode. In my experience, most of the sub 48fps drops are specific places in the world (the hallway outside of the Subterranean Shunning Grounds site of grace comes to mind).

MaKTaiL

I really don't understand why you would gimp the graphically fidelity of the game so heavily for the sake of 10 frames saved every so often

Just install the PS5 version and play on frame rate mode
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Top Bottom