• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"

2011 - See that mountain? You can go there.

2023 - See that mountain? Why would you want to even go there?

This industry has beat some people into blind obedience.
This has always been my favourite aspect of Bethesda games. That's totally missing in Starfield or what..?

iHaunter

So far from what I've seen. Starfield looks like a mediocre copy/pasted game. Essentially an un-upgraded Skyrim but in same. But with even less unique content.

The thing about 1000 planets/ moons to explore is you can pick and choose what you want to explore. Me Im restricting myself to garden and ice planets. If I land somewhere Dune-ish Im gone by the hour. If I find a garden planet, Im 100% the survey and building an outpost.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Always the extreme retardation to defend poor design choices of the favorite toys.

These other games do do it, and they do it better without all the need for FUD theatrics.
Travelling quickly in space would be unrealistic and immersion breaking

But literally fast travelling everywhere, which is your character disappearing on the spot and reappearing hundreds of millions of miles away instantaneously, is super duper realistic.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Cyberpunkd

This has always been my favourite aspect of Bethesda games. That's totally missing in Starfield or what..?
The objects in the background are outside the seed that is generated for you when you land and is approx. 4 kilometers radius. So you see that mountain but before you go there you hit an invisible wall asking you to turn around or warp to your ship.
If you try to be smart and land a bit closer the mountain will disappear since the seed has changed and they are not connected to one another.

So yes, the exploration in this game is worse than Skyrim.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have no played the game yet but this seems like a deja vu. Mass Effect got the same flak but I loved the empty planets.

Hope I’ll like it in Starfield too. I don’t mind If I have nothing to do. I just like to see and visit different planets, so my hope is just that they are no too samey.

StueyDuck

This current fight between devs and fans is tough... like most of space should absolutely be empty.

But

I understand the want for more highly curated content then no man sky planets.

There is a middle ground but it's gonna be super difficult to find

DJ12

The very notion that once any Tom dick and Harry can fly in space the human virus wouldn't have spread everywhere is laughable.

There'd be towels down at all the beaches in the entire universe.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
What's also funny is that the game is so incredibly segmented, the argument it can't run at 60fps because it's so big just falls flat. It's not open world at all...
Exactly. And what happened with Redfall also not being able to run at 60fps, it’s not a good look. I see no reason with the amount of loading screens that this cannot run at 60fps on Series X, apart from the fact that the engine is being held together by god knows what code in the backend. They need to dump creation engine at the earliest opportunity now as it is clearly not going to scale well going forward.

Portugeezer

It's a fine balance which has to be made. Most planets SHOULD be empty or with very little resources, so that discoveries feel special when they do happen.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Imagine gamers being flown into actual outer space and finding out that it's nothing but stellar gasses and barren rocks, and that there are no actual planetary outposts with pirates to shoot at on them. The complaining would be endless.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
So far from what I've seen. Starfield looks like a mediocre copy/pasted game. Essentially an un-upgraded Skyrim but in same. But with even less unique content.

Haha hilarious.

The game has more than the double of Skyrim's unique content. You obviously havent seen jack fucking shit.

Turns out starfield wasn't that second coming Jesus after all, more like Judas
What’s the point of mentioning 1000 planets?

200.gif
In reality 10% of planets having life in them is far more unrealistic than our current situation in reality where we’ve only confirmed earth has life. Chances are the other 900 planets are for resources. The people talking shit are ridiculous.

Cyberpunkd

In reality 10% of planets having life in them is far more unrealistic than our current situation in reality where we’ve only confirmed earth has life. Chances are the other 900 planets are for resources. The people talking shit are ridiculous.
C’mon, don’t be contrarian for no reason. You know very well it was not mentioned as “1000 planets, including 900 mines for resources only”. The goal was always to hype the game and make it seem all of these are unique, carefully crafted experiences.

Laptop1991

I think the empty planets or procedural ones will get boring at some point and i dont think it will turn out to be a good decision in the long run, I'm still going to get the game, but I'm not getting a TES or Fallout ambience from what I've seen so far, maybe they wanted that,

Also i think they should of had an alien race or races to fight in the game as its an actual space game, in Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4 there are actual Aliens and their blaster's in them, but not in their actual space game, a bit strange lol

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Why would I do research for a game I have never heard about? All I did was watch the video you embedded and commented on it.
In NeoGAFFian terms it means you have consented to analysis of your post and subsequent meta-post you make.

Also, Starfield.

Cyberpunkd

That's why it's not called Fallout 5.

I think lot of people are jumping the gun here.

Each game is designed to play differently, there are different gameplay hooks, different intention from developers on how to best enjoy a game.

From what I have seen, Bethesda did what they did to avoid pacing issues. They want you to stay within their handcrafted areas. Space is too big while Fallout games are set in a small section of a city.
Wow, I didn’t think such a spin is possible. So loading screens everywhere are just “different intention from developers”?

Cinematic 30FPS strikes again.

Lunarorbit

The objects in the background are outside the seed that is generated for you when you land and is approx. 4 kilometers radius. So you see that mountain but before you go there you hit an invisible wall asking you to turn around or warp to your ship.
If you try to be smart and land a bit closer the mountain will disappear since the seed has changed and they are not connected to one another.

So yes, the exploration in this game is worse than Skyrim.
Dude.... Fallout 4 disappointed me more than any other game besides ME:A.

After watching dragon age inquisition get compared to the witcher. After seeing cyberpunks initial failures.

The complaints I see are your standard Bethesda bullshit. The difference is my tolerance for Todd's lies is at an all time low. I'll play it in a few days when it launches but your criticisms Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd are the final nail in the preview cycle coffin that show me not to expect much

Wow, I didn’t think such a spin is possible. So loading screens everywhere are just “different intention from developers”?

Cinematic 30FPS strikes again.

How will you design the game?

Am not playing early access, so had to YouTube a video to get exact details.

Seems reasonable compromise has been made by Bethesda.

Did you really expect Fallout 4 quality world on every inch of habitable planets?

Gudji

The problem is that, like Halo, the game isn't on Playstation.

That's where all of this "concern" is coming from.

Meanwhile those who are actually playing the game are having a blast.
HI is an incredibly mediocre game it has nothing to do with being on playstation or xbox.

Good, give me handcrafted shiz for the good stuff and procedural shit for the filler and ease the dev strain.

I'd much rather dev and designers focus on the best content they want to put forward over the mundane.

Realism is just a convenient excuse for making a barren game with copy paste content all over the place. It's a videogame! You has the chance to put your own creative spin on space! Making it real is boring as shit. What's the point in it? Imagine how much better this game could have been?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
That sounds like blind loyalty. It's OK that the game isn't living up to the standards people thought it would be. But dismissing those criticisms because"its a Bethesda game" is just burying your head in the sand.
Every Bethesda fan complained about creation engine.
This is the result of that engine.
The company doesn't want to get rid of that engine, hence we are stuck with all these limitations.
What more complaints do you want?

Sybrix

PlayStation fanboys will never cease to amaze me. We already knew that only 10% of the planets will be populated.

Mate, it really isnt and you know it.

Aside from the issues with the game that at this point are well documented, essestinally your fast travelling from town to town, outpost to outpost.... the space travel element is only via cut scene, you blast off custscene from a planet, your in space to then fast travel again to your destination and your there.

The joy of Skyrim and Fallout is the travel between destinations and discovering everything in between, Starfield seems to have condensed that into town/city/outpost specific areas which is frankly insane to me.

It makes no sense.

tr1p1ex

this one is just below their 'we can't take risks without giving the player lots of bugs' defense.

Not that it isn't obviously impractical to populate 1000 planets with lengthy must have content.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like is not seeing enough bugs compilation.
We need to see more Bethesda trademarks.
Well it's not like we can do horses planted halfway into the ground now can we😂. Someone might do them but I suspect they'll end up on tik tok or something like that

feynoob

Banned
Well it's not like we can do horses planted halfway into the ground now can we😂. Someone might do them but I suspect they'll end up on tik tok or something like that
They do have massages animation for your robot.
Watched a clip of it and the camera was shaking hard.

Top Bottom