• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Sausages sure are looking good...

brap

Banned
Can't believe people eat this shit lmao. Looks like flesh.

nS9JJ6R.jpg

i understand people care about animals like cows and sheep and chickens, there is some horrible stuff that happens to them no doubt

and so this is the path to experiencing the taste of those animals without the suffering

but yeah it's still a got damn science experiment mashed into looking like the things we want to eat

im still on the boat that the relationship to livestock and people needs to shift to become more balanced and frankly, more beautiful

vegetarians IMO have the best mindset, vegans just went full retard

cultures abroad that have existed for a very long time have perfect balance IMO, if you go to europe and the mediterrainean and asia etc. food there is very balanced

michael pollan speaks about this in a real sensible way

I can respect people not wanting to eat meat, but what I find utterly bizarre is the Cargo Cult nature of making vegetarian or vegan based products that essentially emulate meat based products in look and feel. :messenger_dizzy:
As a vegetarian of 20 years this is something I also find baffling.

I just don't like the idea of eating another creatures flesh, ever since I decided as a teenager to watch videos of exactly what happens to animals in abattoirs, I just can't seperate out what I'm eating with what that animal went through.

As such, I do not want to eat a fake sausage or burger that also reminds me of that off putting fact, and I fail to see how pretending something is meat without tasting as good would help anyone stop eating it.

I also try my best to sauce local eggs, cheese milk and honey from places I know treat thier livestock well and aren't just mass producing low quality stuff full of antibiotics and hormones.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I just don't like the idea of eating another creatures flesh, ever since I decided as a teenager to watch videos of exactly what happens to animals in abattoirs, I just can't separate out what I'm eating with what that animal went through.

As such, I do not want to eat a fake sausage or burger that also reminds me of that off putting fact, and I fail to see how pretending something is meat without tasting as good would help anyone stop eating it.

I also try my best to sauce local eggs, cheese milk and honey from places I know treat thier livestock well and aren't just mass producing low quality stuff full of antibiotics and hormones.

Glad I'm not alone on this. I have an indian friend whose vegetarian and she similarly finds the whole meat emulation thing utterly bizarre as well.

Old man been in the cold pool too long.

Always happy to try an alternative sustainable solution but yet to find that meat killer, pardon the pun.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Send it to my wife... her respond: "If you send me dick pictures, make your its your own :p"

xD

Do i have to pull the foreskin back before i put it on the grill?

That would drive me from being vegetarian to eating real sausages xD

Last edited:

notseqi

Glad I'm not alone on this. I have an indian friend whose vegetarian and she similarly finds the whole meat emulation thing utterly bizarre as well.
Indians are playing that whole vegetarian on EZ mode to be honest... Not many cuisines who can give you that wholesome umami feel without using meat or at least animal fats.

I just had a Beyond Sausage wrap from Dunkin. It was ok I guess, but I was able to tell it apart from the real thing (I ordered a real sausage wrap as well) because of the scent. It just smelled artificial, like a perfume vs the actual smell of cooked sausage.

I'll stick to the real thing.

Keihart

There is some inherent suffering involved with surviving, like , even eating plants it's somehow cruel when seen from their perspective.
That being said, fucking pigs, chickens and cows are treated worst than crops now, unless they are in a more moderate size farm. Nobody is going to starve if meat was more expensive in general, we would just eat differently...probably.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I get a good laugh when people call these sausages. And that german bratwurst. Those ain't sausages.

This is a real sausage, smoked.
slavonska-kobasica1.jpg

If you dont know a good german sausage.... than you dont know whats good or you tried the wrong ones.

A currywurst is one of the greatest things ever :D

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I can respect people not wanting to eat meat, but what I find utterly bizarre is the Cargo Cult nature of making vegetarian or vegan based products that essentially emulate meat based products in look and feel. :messenger_dizzy:

It's an observation I've made to my vegan friends but they always just get mad. You never seen the opposite though, like fake cauliflower made out of pork or something. Weird.

Kadayi

Banned
It's an observation I've made to my vegan friends but they always just get mad. You never seen the opposite though, like fake cauliflower made out of pork or something. Weird.

Yeah. I've encountered that kind of push back before. Some of them get real fucking touchy about it. It's not like I'm saying 'just eat a sausage' it's more I find the whole emulation thing utterly confounding. With that said I'm a little bit

200.gif

By nature, so I can wind people up inadvertently . I guess for many it's just easy, versus having to think about a making a recipe. Still whenever I see 'Vegan Meat Balls' I do think to myself 'I hope those Vegans were free range grass fed and humanely killed' . 🤔

Tesseract

Banned
imma keep eating real meat, preferably whatever i can kill

this isn't always reasonable or tenable for obvious reasons, dis why we got markets

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't get it either.

If someone is vegetarian that's fine. Don't eat meat.

If that's the case, why bother making fake looking hamburgers, sausages, patties look like as close to the real thing as possible? Just make a patty that's green and orange from crushed up carrots and cabbage.

Yet vegetarians want to eat burgers that look real, but don't actually want to eat meat.

I don't like eating celery. Hmmm.... let me go to the store and try to find something that looks like celery. Green, tall, crunchy, and even tastes like it. But I don't want it to actually be celery.

Fucking weird.

ExpandKong

Banned
The thing that pisses me off the most about vegetarian meat alternatives is they all have names like "Benevolent Bacon" or "Smart Bacon" like fuck did none of these marketing jackasses think of "Fakin'" or "Fake'n"

Get your shit together morons.

The thing that pisses me off the most about vegetarian meat alternatives is they all have names like "Benevolent Bacon" or "Smart Bacon" like fuck did none of these marketing jackasses think of "Fakin'" or "Fake'n"

Get your shit together morons.

Buying "Fakon" does not generate the same sanctimonious fart-sniffing dopamine rush as buying "Benevolent Bacon" in their target audience. They are not buying it because it tastes good, but because it makes them feel superior.

I just don't like the idea of eating another creatures flesh, ever since I decided as a teenager to watch videos of exactly what happens to animals in abattoirs, I just can't seperate out what I'm eating with what that animal went through.

Im right with you there, I've been a vegetarian for the same reason for 25 + years now. I don't miss meat so not sure what the point of trying to emulate it is. I'll eat things like veggie burgers but they arent really substitutes and dont taste like meat, i just think some of them taste good. I rarely tell people im a vegetarian though because i get so much shit for it....people seem to get hyper defensive even if i just mention it...and have to let me know how much they love meat and how they could never do without it or i get the "if god didnt want us to eat animals" twats who think they are saying something original.

Oddly those same people try and push me to preach or debate but I dont preach or care to discuss it with people because i know realistically people as a whole will not stop until you can create full dinners out of molecules like in star trek.

Top Bottom