• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

daveonezero

Banned
He’s not wrong about the environmental impact, but crypto is here to stay, so something practical needs to be done to lessen its impact. I vote cyber warfare against Bitcoin miners. That should be easy and not cause any issues 👍
Yes he is wrong about the environmental impact.

and cyber attack on the miners wouldn’t stop Bitcoin. It would just decentralize the market further.

The network of nodes would still be running and after difficulty adjustments and every individual who has some out of date ASIC will fire them up.

Raven117

Guys let's pretend I have about 50k I'm willing to go all in on with crypto. And I want two cryptos and are not so volatile.

My first choice is ETH. Maybe invest 25k in it. Then how about litecoin? I see it is at $382 and spiking up every day and has been going up consistently the past few months.

Asking for my retired friends (childhood friend's mom and dad) who have a decent amount of money but historically been terrible at financial decision making and investing. They once lost 100 grand, a 100% net loss on day trading 20 years ago.
They need a money manager, not crypto.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I think there’s a run and people trying to get out. Seems like the wrong movers this point. But it’s not surprising people would panic. I’m going to wait to buy, but I will be buying soon.

Jesus. Link lost 50% of its value in 24 hours.
I bought into the Doge hype and just watched it plunge to just under 25 cents on Robinhood this morning. My average buy total is 9 cents so nothing bad. Just holding as it's rubber banding back up. ETC took a major beating as well and going up.

Hnjohngalt

Im gonna HODL 5 years. If it does bot come back then back to stocks. I dropped another 1k in alts that are 75% below the ATH. So im confident with staking ill be allright.

Outlier

Oh my lord. I am now just checking my holding (been about a week) and I said I was holding before, but I DEFINITELY NOT selling my ETH now.

Don't let the rich scare you into ruining your positions!

GHG

Not gonna lie. I am absolutely impressed by how accurate that is and that video is like nearly a month old now and what happened today mirrors Phase E.

I'm in Bitcoin at 51k and ETH at 3.2k and holding till they either make me money or go to zero but its scary how much they mirror Wyckoff.

If nothing else I've learnt about that pattern and will now be overlaying it across every stock chart I see.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Beanie man weighs in. Don’t get scurred and sell.

Pump n Dump and Bash n Stash tactics have been around since the beginning. The key difference between stock and crypto are:

- Crypto has an image of individuals holding the power, so there shouldn't be things like hedge funds controlling a stock
- Crypto shouldnt be affected as much as stock when it comes to tax laws, inflation and weekly news that drives stock markets. Crypto does its own thing
- However, Crypto is unestablished, so you can get shit like China today cracking on it leading to cryptos dropping 25%. You dont get panic selling so bad in the markets, every stock and index drops 25% in half a day.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ETH hit around $2k this morning... thats when I went in
Yeah that is a good price.

I missed the flash sale, but I feel this is a dead cat bounce. Not long from now we will be at $1800 again before it really bounces. I think I will buy in more then.

I parked some ETH in Polygon yesterday so I profited a bit. I will buy the ETH again later.

GamingKaiju

Oooof that price drop 😬 Good time to go long on BTC/Eth/Ada though

(I'm not a advisor, only risk what you can afford to lose)

ETH hit around $2k this morning... thats when I went in

Was going to post this. $2k is a good price point to buy Eth, we might not see it again ⬆⬆⬆⬆ we're going up ⬆⬆⬆⬆

WTF, this guy.

Being holding Eth for a few years now already I can wait a while longer.

Business

The John McAfee of this cycle.
John was nuts, at times disgusting and probably a murderer, but at least he was funny.

After all what has happened in the last weeks, Elon coming in to save the day, speaking like a WSB teenager YOLOing BTC to fit in again… it’s just pathetic.

Irobot82

John was nuts, at times disgusting and probably a murderer, but at least he was funny.

After all what has happened in the last weeks, Elon coming in to save the day, speaking like a WSB teenager YOLOing BTC to fit in again… it’s just pathetic.
John's is in prison in Spain(i think) right now. Been there for months slowly dying. Shits crazy.

Ascend

I'm going to tell you a story, without actually saying much. Only with links. Enjoy, and no, you don't need to read the whole Reuters articles, but I suggest you go through the last link carefully.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I really hope you didn't invest.
I really hope he just did BTC and then waits a few more months.
So now we're comparing Bitcoin to Bolivar? I'm not really sure that's a good thing..

it isn’t a good thing to rate it against the US dollar either.

the dollar value means nothing. It is decreasing in purchasing power. Printing money makes it worth less. Government subsidies are inefficient.

BTC sats will reach cent parity and y’all will will think the dollar is doing well or something.

0*fycahAqCXE9Ori1s.jpg

mcjmetroid

I'm going to tell you a story, without actually saying much. Only with links. Enjoy, and no, you don't need to read the whole Reuters articles, but I suggest you go through the last link carefully.

Bitcoin does seem to be in a free fall. I suppose it's worth keeping an eye on it today.

I recently invested in Ada and miota but I suppose I should get in on bitcoin as well.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As someone who joined crypto like a month ago.

Is this something I should be really worried about regarding the news?

I mean, couldn't all these news potentially mean the death of crypto?

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

The death of crypto? No - it's just another turn in the market cycle.

This level of volatility is to be expected in crypto and in terms of the cycle we're kind of approaching the apex so another significant crash is likely within the next year assuming that this isn't already it. Contrary to a lot of the hype the market has been quite over-inflated for a while and growing at an unhealthy pace so a correction was highly likely and that is probably what we're seeing here. Will it pick up again? it's hard to tell, the recent highs could just be a intermediate peak which is followed by a correction (now) and then a sharp rise again to new highs OR this could be the fall and the rise we see in the short term could just be what's known as a dead cat bounce.

All of the markers for this dip were there. Bitcoin pulled back and was struggling, then Etherium picked up and pulled big numbers, then money started shifting into Alt coins. That's a pretty well established pattern for the lead up to a dip. Not conclusive, but it is something I tend to look out for.

It's up to you if you want to keep going in. My opinion is that the market is reaching it's high so gains are reducing and risk is substantially increasing. That is only my opinion though so do try to take in other sources. Beware of people shilling crypto hard and being overly bullish - a lot of them are heavily invested, both financially and emotionally in the market so they either can't see clearly or have a vested interest in trying to prop up the market.

If you're new to crypto then undertsand it's a high risk investment that's honestly closer to gambling. History shows if you hold for the long term you should come out ahead however the market is very uncertain, is not underpinned by any real assets, and could get tanked by regulation, new tech or simple loss of interest / confidence. Keep that in mind, fight the FOMO, and only invest what you're willing and able to lose.

The_Mike

The death of crypto? No - it's just another turn in the market cycle.

This level of volatility is to be expected in crypto and in terms of the cycle we're kind of approaching the apex so another significant crash is likely within the next year assuming that this isn't already it. Contrary to a lot of the hype the market has been quite over-inflated for a while and growing at an unhealthy pace so a correction was highly likely and that is probably what we're seeing here. Will it pick up again? it's hard to tell, the recent highs could just be a intermediate peak which is followed by a correction (now) and then a sharp rise again to new highs OR this could be the fall and the rise we see in the short term could just be what's known as a dead cat bounce.

All of the markers for this dip were there. Bitcoin pulled back and was struggling, then Etherium picked up and pulled big numbers, then money started shifting into Alt coins. That's a pretty well established pattern for the lead up to a dip. Not conclusive, but it is something I tend to look out for.

It's up to you if you want to keep going in. My opinion is that the market is reaching it's high so gains are reducing and risk is substantially increasing. That is only my opinion though so do try to take in other sources. Beware of people shilling crypto hard and being overly bullish - a lot of them are heavily invested, both financially and emotionally in the market so they either can't see clearly or have a vested interest in trying to prop up the market.

If you're new to crypto then undertsand it's a high risk investment that's honestly closer to gambling. History shows if you hold for the long term you should come out ahead however the market is very uncertain, is not underpinned by any real assets, and could get tanked by regulation, new tech or simple loss of interest / confidence. Keep that in mind, fight the FOMO, and only invest what you're willing and able to lose.
Thanks for tips,
I started fomo on Doge cus everyone talked about it, and actually earned pocket money on it.
Invested in Matic and eth. Matic exploded and eth did a little but went really downhill.

I still have a plus of 80 euro so I'm happy. I know its not thousands but I also just started.

I only invest what I can afford to lose, and I'm trying to avoid fomo and succeeded so far hehe.

It's my first dip though and on the news with musk trolling the market and China and India so I got nervous if I were too late.

Using binance as my wallet, I know the not your keys not your money thing. Thinking about buying a hardware wallet down the line.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Thanks for tips,
I started fomo on Doge cus everyone talked about it, and actually earned pocket money on it.
Invested in Matic and eth. Matic exploded and eth did a little but went really downhill.

I still have a plus of 80 euro so I'm happy. I know its not thousands but I also just started.

I only invest what I can afford to lose, and I'm trying to avoid fomo and succeeded so far hehe.

It's my first dip though and on the news with musk trolling the market and China and India so I got nervous if I were too late.

Using binance as my wallet, I know the not your keys not your money thing. Thinking about buying a hardware wallet down the line.

FOMO is probably the biggest issue. It's so easy to get caught up in the movements and think that you HAVE to buy now or else you'll miss the opportunity forever. When the market is up you think it will just keep going up so if you don't buy you'll miss out on the rise. When the market is down you think you're missing out on the fabled dip and won't get another chance to get a "bargain".

Modified DCA usually works best for most people. Both in terms of buying and selling. You have a set amount that you're willing to lose each month and drop 1/2 to 2/3 regularily each month and save the remaining 1/2 to 1/3 for any possible dips. Yes, you'll reduce your possible gains but you'll also limit your exposure to the volatility.

MATIC was the last thing I bought just this last weekend. I held to the DCA a little too strictly and bought ignoring the signs of a dip so I took a bit of a hit on that but we'll see how it does.

Two other Alts I bought into at the same time took a similar hit and I'll admit I bought off a tiny bit of FOMO and because I hadn't been buying in much over the past two months because of the bloat on the market. On the flip side when I recognized the dip I also sold half of my Eth in order to clear my risk on that coin. Made enough profic to clear the cost with just shy of a 50% sell so now what I have left is essentially free. Not a bad tactic to take profit upto the cost of your initial investment when your coins go up enough so that you're left with a stake in the game without any actual risk.

And I wouldn't worry about using Binance as your wallet. Unless you're into a few thousand in value it's not the worst thing to do. Yes, there's a risk but holding there allows you to react to the volatility fast and without as much expense (fees for moving to and from). A hardware wallet is up to you but don't throw too much money at the extras like hardware wallets until you've had some time to ride the market and build up a bag that justifies it.

Business

The best advice I can give you is: The least you act, the better you'll be in the long run. I'm not saying just hodl, but almost. There's things to be done, sometimes taking some profit doesn't hurt, maybe you can move something to earn some yield if your bag is decent and fees don't eat it all, but yeah, never fomo, never panic sell, don't check your portfolio 50 times a day.

The_Mike

Thanks for all the tips :)

But I keep reading it's stupid to have your cryptos on an exchange because of the Mt gox incident. I would just be sad to see my crypto go if binance closed down suddenly.

Thanks for all the tips :)

But I keep reading it's stupid to have your cryptos on an exchange because of the Mt gox incident. I would just be sad to see my crypto go if binance closed down suddenly.
There are pros and cons to leaving your crypto on an exchange. The obvious downside risk is the exchange getting hacked or some other black swan event but in my opinion these events will become less and less likely to occur over time as long as you stick with the established exchanges that are (somewhat) regulated.

The upside exchanges have over cold-storage is that you can stake your crypto and earn interest with rates that are pretty generous. Not that sub 1% garbage that the banks give you for your fiat. This something to consider if you plan on hodling. If you want to reduce your risk you could just stake a percentage of your stack and spread that over multiple exchanges.

The_Mike

There are pros and cons to leaving your crypto on an exchange. The obvious downside risk is the exchange getting hacked or some other black swan event but in my opinion these events will become less and less likely to occur over time as long as you stick with the established exchanges that are (somewhat) regulated.

The upside exchanges have over cold-storage is that you can stake your crypto and earn interest with rates that are pretty generous. Not that sub 1% garbage that the banks give you for your fiat. This something to consider if you plan on hodling. If you want to reduce your risk you could just stake a percentage of your stack and spread that over multiple exchanges.
So binance dot com "should" be relatively safe? And we "shouldn't" see another Mt gox incident?

Staking... Isn't there any risk at all to lose what you're staking?

Irobot82

Exodus Wallet offer many staking features. Compound and a rewards Dapp. I stake Cosmos, Cardano and Tezos.

So binance dot com "should" be relatively safe? And we "shouldn't" see another Mt gox incident?

Staking... Isn't there any risk at all to lose what you're staking?
Yes, of course there's staking risk. It's up to you to decide if the risk is worth the reward.

I don't use Binance but I think they're probably a safe bet. Up to you to do the research.

And no, I don't think we're going to see another Mt. Gox event. However, I do think we'll continue to see events like what happened at that Turkish crypto exchange where the owner disappeared with everyone's crypto. Again, it's your crypto so the responsibility is on you to do the research.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
So what is it now? Did china actually do something or was Reuters misreporting?

As far as I can tell China was just reiterating something that has been in place for years.

Regardless I see it as a positive as it provided a much needed reminder of the volatility and fragility of the market. The market was getting far too over-confident and there was far too much feeling that the market was somehow immune to these kinds of drops thanks to "institutional investors". People were forgetting the risks and there was far too much hype and over-confidence that was leading ever more people into a financially irresponsible position. The drops initiated by that news and Tesla announcing they would no longer accept Bitcoin demonstrated how easily the market can get spooked and how easily money can be lost in this game.

Ellery

As far as I can tell China was just reiterating something that has been in place for years.

Regardless I see it as a positive as it provided a much needed reminder of the volatility and fragility of the market. The market was getting far too over-confident and there was far too much feeling that the market was somehow immune to these kinds of drops thanks to "institutional investors". People were forgetting the risks and there was far too much hype and over-confidence that was leading ever more people into a financially irresponsible position. The drops initiated by that news and Tesla announcing they would no longer accept Bitcoin demonstrated how easily the market can get spooked and how easily money can be lost in this game.

So nothing actually happened for chinese people and crypto right now in China, right?

TheUsual

Gold Member
After Doge rocketing back up again, I sold it all. Tired of watching this one respond on a whim to tweets (based on Robinhoods small news snippet this morning). Made a generous return and glad to be forgetting about it.

Sure it'll go up some more down the road but I'm done with it.

Hnjohngalt

I was lucky to get some ada at $1.38 yesterday too. I doubt Bitcoin is gonna drop below 30k anytime soon. Lets wait and see

Last edited:
Top Bottom