• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mirror S6 is happening at Netflix!

diffusionx

Gold Member
The original British series was great with most of the episodes being original and memorable.

Since Netflix took over I liked maybe 3 episodes - USS Callister, San Junipero and Nosedive predicting the mass introduction of the social score. And the last season was pure trash. I'll watch the new season but my expectations are quite low.
The first episode of Black Mirror I watched was Bandersnatch and I was blown away by it. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I thought it was brilliant. So then I started watching the show, you can clearly see a, ahem, nosedive in quality when they switched over to Netflix, although a few of the early ones in that season were really good. I don't even think I bothered with the 5th season and won't with this one.

DrFigs

I saw the first episode. They could have cut 30 minutes easily. I hope all the episodes aren't this drawn out.

Also not a very original idea either. See this sketch from the Please Don't Destroy guys

Last edited:

vpance

I saw the first episode. They could have cut 30 minutes easily. I hope all the episodes aren't this drawn out.

Also not a very original idea either. See this sketch from the Please Don't Destroy guys

Really does feel like the episodes overstay their welcome, at least from the first 3 I watched. Like they forced 30 min stories to fill 1+ hour.

xrnzaaas

Episodes 1 and 2 were trash. 3 was promising and I liked the Hollywood cast, but the ending just didn't make any sense... like they wanted to make a shocking one on purpose.
If this was only the wife maaaaaybe just maybe I'd buy it, but not that he's a complete psycho and that he'd kill the kid.

Last edited:
I liked the first episode, but I'm 2 minutes into the second episode and I had to pause to google WHERE ARE THIS WOMAN'S EYEBROWS?

...and apparently "bleached eyebrows" are a thing. It's so distracting and awful looking.

I liked the first episode, but I'm 2 minutes into the second episode and I had to pause to google WHERE ARE THIS WOMAN'S EYEBROWS?

...and apparently "bleached eyebrows" are a thing. It's so distracting and awful looking.
Agreed. All I could think was "fuck, this bitch is ugly." Got that Whoopie Goldberg look happening 🤮🤮🤮

Last edited:

Fbh

Watched the Aaron Paul episode and though it was absolute dogshit aside from some solid performances-
Don't know if I'll bother with the rest of the season.

Hugare

Have watched episodes 1 and 2

1 was bad, but 2 was absolute dog shit

Nothing 'Black Mirror-y" about it. Just a below average murder story with despicable characters.

They've waited years to deliver this shit? Jesus

Low hyped for the next ones.

Catphish

I've watched the first 2 episodes of S6.

Why don't people like E1? I thought it was fucking brilliant. I think it's my second favorite episode of all of them, behind only White Christmas.

2 was a bit rough, but far from bad.

But I wanna know why more people aren't singing E1's praises.

I've watched the first 2 episodes of S6.

Why don't people like E1? I thought it was fucking brilliant. I think it's my second favorite episode of all of them, behind only White Christmas.

2 was a bit rough, but far from bad.

But I wanna know why more people aren't singing E1's praises.
I liked the first episode, at least it kind of felt like black mirror.

GloveSlap

The season was ok. It was more Outer Limits than Black Mirror, but i don't mind it if they are otherwise out of ideas.

Episode 1- Decent concept, but got really stupid towards the end
Episode 2- Pretty good. Needed more eye brows
Episode 3- Really enjoyed it, but didn't quite stick the landing
Episode 4- Ok, nothing special
Episode 5- Blue-haired wankery. Not terrible though.

Jesse Pinkman episode was at least watchable. The idea was cool, the execution was poor, but at least I made it to the end.

Couldn't get through any of the other diversity wankfests.

vpance

Another swing and a miss.

Technological twilight zone is near endless a basis for stories, but C tier horror plus a joke episode is all they could drum up? Sad.

Last edited:

Shrap

Charlie Brooker has officially lost all inspiration. This isn't even black mirror any more, it's just another crappy anthology series. A complete mess tonally, the writing is awful and the messages are way too on the nose.

And Mazey Day is the absolute worst Black Mirror episode by a long shot. What an abomination.

Interfectum

Charlie Brooker has officially lost all inspiration. This isn't even black mirror any more, it's just another crappy anthology series. A complete mess tonally, the writing is awful and the messages are way too on the nose.

And Mazey Day is the absolute worst Black Mirror episode by a long shot. What an abomination.
That's the biggest thing I've noticed this season... it's like they made Season 6 for drooling idiots. Especially the one episode where the lawyers kept saying "bu bu you signed the agreement!" Fucking horrid writing.

I liked it more than Season 5 but definitely didn't reach the heights of the previous ones. Aaron Paul episode I found myself being most engrossed in as I really liked the premise a lot.

Wasn't sure what I was getting into after the horrible last season, and then finishing the first episode. I just watched Beyond the Sea though, and damn.

That is all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That video tape episode was kinda creepy. The episode with the two dudes in space just left me with a bad feeling. This show can make you feel crummy sometimes.

bitbydeath

I've never seen Black Mirror, but every so often hear about certain episodes and memes. Isn't it just really depressing?
I wouldn’t say depressing, although their is rarely ever a happy ending. But that’s due to the content being about a warning on future tech. They’re still a lot of fun to watch.

Contrary to what others say, I think the best seasons were after Netflix bought it because the tech needed proper money behind it to show off its impacts properly.

IMO Seasons 3 & 4 > 1 & 2 > 5 & 6

I wouldn’t say depressing, although their is rarely ever a happy ending. But that’s due to the content being about a warning on future tech. They’re still a lot of fun to watch.

Contrary to what others say, I think the best seasons were after Netflix bought it because the tech needed proper money behind it to show off its impacts properly.

IMO Seasons 3 & 4 > 1 & 2 > 5 & 6
Totally agree. 3-4 were great. 1-2 were interesting but obviously on a smaller budget. 5-6 were mostly shit.

With how fucked up the world has became I can't blame Brooker for finding it difficult to come up with new ideas and stories. I'd be up for Black Mirror going on a long break and I mean 5-10 years before we get Season 7.

The best thing about Black Mirror is that is shows exciting new technology but isn't afraid of also showing the dark sides of it. It's a warning to what the future could look like. It's the same for the Cyberpunk genre.... a lot of people love it but it's not something you ever want to come true. There are rarely any happy endings and I love when a Black Mirror leaves me feeling miserable and depressed. The last 2 seasons feel like some stupid ass boring generic horror anthology show.

Hydroxy

You're insane, that was easily the worst episode of the whole series.

Episode 1: 6
Episode 2: 5
Episode 3: 8
Episode 4: 4
Episode 5: 7

Technology had almost zero to do with this entire season and that's super disappointing.
Bang on. I feel basically the same except I would give episode 3 a 9. I felt it was fantastic. Overall this season was very disappointing with only one episode that was worth the Black Mirror name.

We made the mistake of watching "Shut Up and Dance" before watching Season 6... Some of the older episodes put this season to shame.

My thoughts:
EP1: Enjoyed it.
EP2: Enjoyed it, but didn't feel like a Black Mirror episode?
EP3: Meh. Ending was disappointing, was about 30 minutes too long.
EP4: I didn't mind it. Again, not like a typical Black Mirror to me, but I actually loved the "aha" moment I had as soon as I saw the goats.
EP5: Not Black Mirror, 30 minutes too long, some okay stuff buried in there.

I finally finished the third episode. It was obvious what was going to happen about 10 minutes into the episode, there was no reason why it needed to be so fucking long and drawn out. I should have just fast forwarded and saved my time.

Edit: Episode 4 was awful. Wtf?

Edit2: Episode 5 had its moments with dark comedy, but overall it's not really Black Mirror... but to be fair, it did introduce itself as "Red Mirror".

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned Black Mirror finished with Season 4.

Black Museum really felt like the a proper ending to the show... but they had to keep going :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Finished it last night.
I didn’t hate it but I was a bit disappointed no episodes were technology based, at least not in the way the older seasons were.
I would say it’s barely better than season 5.

Dr.Morris79

Watched the space one, really enjoyed it. Stuck another one on, some indian girl having undertones of 'racisms' over her food. Switched to another one, white kid and black girl at a front door with the white kids mum? Asking where shes from..

Turned it off

Just wanted a good show without more racial tension bullshit in it. Loved the first seasons though.

Scotty W

With how fucked up the world has became I can't blame Brooker for finding it difficult to come up with new ideas and stories. I'd be up for Black Mirror going on a long break and I mean 5-10 years before we get Season 7.
Brooker is compromised by his woke wife.

Dr.Morris79

YCoCg

Watched the space one, really enjoyed it. Stuck another one on, some indian girl having undertones of 'racisms' over her food. Switched to another one, white kid and black girl at a front door with the white kids mum? Asking where shes from..

Turned it off

Just wanted a good show without more racial tension bullshit in it. Loved the first seasons though.
The first one is set during the election period of 1979 in a British town when the National Front were still around, it's not "woke" to depict how some people were then.

Second one that's literally the only time it's mentioned in the whole episode which then goes down a crime documentary path about a killer.

AJUMP23

My thoughts:
EP1: liked this one....thought it paid off
EP2: I knew what they would discover, and I saw the ending coming, this one was just depressing,
EP3: Astronauts......hated the way it ended even though I knew it was coming. Nice to see those actors working together.
EP4: don't remember much....not impressed with it
EP5: skipped parts of it, but I liked the ending. Too long of an episode.

Top Bottom