• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner: 30 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody explain to me how they came to the theory
that Deckard is a replicant?
Because I dont feel its implied in the film at all, unless I missed it. I only watched the Final cut once, and will most likely rewatch it again in a few weeks.

Can somebody explain to me how they came to the theory
that Deckard is a replicant?
Because I dont feel its implied in the film at all, unless I missed it. I only watched the Final cut once, and will most likely rewatch it again in a few weeks.

Many hints:

Rachel asks if he ever took the Voigt Kampf test himself (to detect replicants).

His eyes glow at one point, just like the other replicants.

Deckard collects photos, just like a replicant he's chasing (Leon) and also part of the memory implants the newer Replicants have (with fake photos included).

Deckard dreams of a unicorn and at the end of the movie, Gaff leaves an unicorm origami outside his apartment.

There's also two alternative endings in the script that were never shot. One has Deckard leaving with Rachel in his car and the inboard computer warns of Gaff in hot pursuit. The movie is supposed to end with Deckard saying "God save us all". Another version has Deckard taking Rachel to a snow-covered mountain, like in one of her photos (not shown in the movie), where Deckard "retires" her, reasoning that if he didn't do it, someone else would. A disturbing act considering he loves her, but consistent if he's supposed to be a replicant hunting other replicants.

I still haven't watched it. Is there going to be a remake soon? Maybe I'll wait for that.

Any director that helms a Blade Runner remake is out of his mind. It won't end well.

Besides Ridley Scott is doing another film set in the Blade Runner universe.

Suairyu

Banned
And since then he's talked about being interested in completely different projects. Never listen to film directors as to what they want to direct next. They change their mind a lot. Given the scale of making a movie, I don't blame them.

And since then he's talked about being interested in completely different projects. Never listen to film directors as to what they want to direct next. They change their mind a lot. Given the scale of making a movie, I don't blame them.

The last issue of Empire has an interview with Ridley Scott where he still sounded interested in doing it, he said something about deciding on if it should be a prequel or sequel.

Daft_Cat

The last issue of Empire has an interview with Ridley Scott where he still sounded interested in doing it, he said something about deciding on if it should be a prequel or sequel.

I grow more and more confident of the project the more and more I see of Prometheus. At the same time, Ridley Scott's not a writer. Getting him is a good start, but it's not enough. As beautiful as the new Blade Runner film will be, if they can't nail down a story that's on par with the source material, and especially the original script, then it won't end well.

Whoever they bring on to write it better be familiar with Nietzsche, mythology, religious symbolism, and existential philosophy. In other words, it probably shouldn't be Damon Lindelof (or should it? *cough* LOST *cough*).

Jawmuncher

Really need to watch the film again.
I had only watched the theatrical cut on netflix awhile back.

Though even having not watched the final cut, I absolutely loved it.

Fjordson

Yeah, the 5 disc Blu-ray is such a fantastic package. I love that it comes with Dangerous Days.

Also, Ridley sounds pretty determined to do the new Blade Runner soon in some of his recent Prometheus interviews that I've seen. I had no idea the project had so much momentum.

There was one interview on YouTube that I saw where he was asked if he was already thinking about the film in his head at least visually.

He straight up described an entire scene in detail shot on a wide open farmland with a futuristic combine harvester and a spinner and everything. It was wild to hear :lol

Tame

The Ridley Scott-approved Director's Cut (1992, 116 minutes); prompted by the unauthorized 1990–1991 workprint theatrical release and made available on VHS and laserdisc in 1993, and on DVD in 1997. Significant changes from the theatrical version include: removal of Deckard's voice-over, insertion of a unicorn sequence and removal of the epilogue scene showing Rachel and Deckard in an airship over green, mountainous landscapes. Ridley did provide extensive notes and consultation to Warner Bros. through film preservationist Michael Arick who was put in charge of creating the Director's Cut.

loved Blade Runner until i watched this version....i hated it

Because of this version i'm weiry of ever buying Blade Runner again.

If it doesnt have the detective noir Decker voiceover then i'm not intrested

Dommo

The Ridley Scott-approved Director's Cut (1992, 116 minutes); prompted by the unauthorized 1990–1991 workprint theatrical release and made available on VHS and laserdisc in 1993, and on DVD in 1997. Significant changes from the theatrical version include: removal of Deckard's voice-over, insertion of a unicorn sequence and removal of the epilogue scene showing Rachel and Deckard in an airship over green, mountainous landscapes. Ridley did provide extensive notes and consultation to Warner Bros. through film preservationist Michael Arick who was put in charge of creating the Director's Cut.

loved Blade Runner until i watched this version....i hated it

Because of this version i'm weiry of ever buying Blade Runner again.

If it doesnt have the detective noir Decker voiceover then i'm not intrested

The 5 disc version comes with all the different versions of the film including the theatrical release you're after. That's the beauty of the collector's set and all that sets it apart from the Star Wars blu rays. No one minds if you make changes to your film just as long as you release the original version with it. That's all that matters. Even if the new version is universally preferred.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
After 30 years it's still my favorite movie of all time. ^.^

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered the 30th anniversary collectors edition. Doesn't come with the nice suitcase the 25th anniversary collection had but I don't think they were ever sold in the UK. Anyway I can't wait to get my hands on it and the nice spinner :D

If you've never purchased BR before on Blu-ray, as seems to be your case, the new set is the one to go for.

If you have the 5-disc Blu-ray from 2007, you should probably skip the new set. The photo galleries that were originally cut have been restored to the extra features, BUT Dangerous Days is still in standard def, not to mention there are a few other omissions here and there.

Basically, I consider the 5-disc set to be the Alien Quadrilogy (2003): It's great, it's got LOTS of awesome special features, and Charles de Lauzikira and his team should be proud of their work...but it could be even more awesome, like the Alien Anthology (2010).

Endo Punk

If you've never purchased BR before on Blu-ray, as seems to be your case, the new set is the one to go for.

If you have the 5-disc Blu-ray from 2007, you should probably skip the new set. The photo galleries that were originally cut have been restored to the extra features, BUT Dangerous Days is still in standard def, not to mention there are a few other omissions here and there.

Basically, I consider the 5-disc set to be the Alien Quadrilogy (2003): It's great, it's got LOTS of awesome special features, and Charles de Lauzikira and his team should be proud of their work...but it could be even more awesome, like the Alien Anthology (2010).

I only had the Final Cut blu ray disc, which I sold last month. This would be a first for me for the whole 5 different versions of the film, the bonus content also sounds amazing. Not selling this until the ultra 2019 collection.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I only had the Final Cut blu ray disc, which I sold last month. This would be a first for me for the whole 5 different versions of the film, the bonus content also sounds amazing. Not selling this until the ultra 2019 collection.

Yeah, then the new set is perfect for you. Enjoy it!

And I'm not knocking the 2007 set's features at all. There's hours of fantastic stuff, especially Dangerous Days and the deleted scenes. Just, if you're gonna call a set 30th anniversary, then it should reflect something new to justify that title to differentiate it from previous releases...and this release ain't it.

Fjordson

That five disc set from a few years ago could be my favourite Blu-Ray that I own. All the different cuts, Dangerous Days, solid packaging. Awesome.

Endo Punk

Yeah, then the new set is perfect for you. Enjoy it!

And I'm not knocking the 2007 set's features at all. There's hours of fantastic stuff, especially Dangerous Days and the deleted scenes. Just, if you're gonna call a set 30th anniversary, then it should reflect something new to justify that title to differentiate it from previous releases...and this release ain't it.

Yeah there is definitely not anything here for those who have purchase the past collection(s). I think at this point everything about the film has been released, there is just no more new content.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm happy with just my UK version of Final Cut. Comes with Dangerous Days.

All the other cuts, while interesting for historical purposes (and I say this as a very keen student of BR's lore and construction), are not worth viewing anymore.

Fjordson

I sometimes get a kick out of the earlier versions. Especially the early one with the voice over (workprint I think?) but yeah, all inferior to the final cut.

Endo Punk

Blade runner is a special case. I hardly buy movies now it's all digital for me. I agree the Final Cut is the best but with BR interesting history I want to be able to go back and see different ways it was introduced to the movie going public, yet to even hear the voice over version which I am really looking forward to.

Looks so good.

51Gt5PaWBOL.jpg

918Wr78ryUL._AA1500_.jpg

Soon my pretty 0_0

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I once watched the theatrical, international, and director's cut in a single sitting.

Fuck, I should do that with all five cuts and then watch Dangerous Days.

Should take me about 13 hours...yeah, I can get that done in a day.

Endo Punk

televator

*Looks over at Collector's Edition Briefcase containing all versions of the film on BD*
images

*looks back at this thread*
m1C1E.gif

Like I've said before, my all time favorite movie.

Endo Punk

Gotta get my hands on that briefcase someday. Now that I have all the content I suppose I can get it off eBay.

Definitely my favourite film too that's why all the extra content mean so much to me. I find it so intriguing how the film is such an oxymoron; it's undeniably 80's and feels aged yet it's not and still has relevant themes today like overpopulation and everything being monitored. Can't imagine when AI becomes more advanced than the human brain allowing for replicants to exist in society, how would they they view the film. lol.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So does this have the full workprint?

If the full work print has never been released before this could be the ideal time.
The workprint was included in the 5-disc 2007 set, and is included in the 30th anniversary set as well.

What's the difference between this and the bluray /dvd suitcase?
The five discs were compressed into three discs, and a photo gallery was added. That's it for on-disc changes. For physical changes, there's a couple editions now, one of which comes with a book and spinner toy.

televator

Gotta get my hands on that briefcase someday. Now that I have all the content I suppose I can get it off eBay.

Definitely my favourite film too that's why all the extra content mean so much to me. I find it so intriguing how the film is such an oxymoron; it's undeniably 80's and feels aged yet it's not and still has relevant themes today like overpopulation and everything being monitored. Can't imagine when AI becomes more advanced than the human brain allowing for replicants to exist in society, how would they they view the film. lol.

The thought implodes my mind. Haha.

The workprint was included in the 5-disc 2007 set, and is included in the 30th anniversary set as well.

The five discs were compressed into three discs, and a photo gallery was added. That's it for on-disc changes. For physical changes, there's a couple editions now, one of which comes with a book and spinner toy.

I wonder if the data capacity of the BDs they used changed in order to consolidate them or did they just compress the films even further?

I gotta admit Dat Box art, alternative color spinner, and art book is tempting...

lupinko

I wonder if the data capacity of the BDs they used changed in order to consolidate them or did they just compress the films even further?

The original 2007 release did not take advantage of BD's capacity, the BD's were identical to the HD-DVD releases.

televator

The original 2007 release did not take advantage of BD's capacity, the BD's were identical to the HD-DVD releases.

Yeah, I looked it up on blu-ray.com. The 07 releases were on 25 GB single layer disks. With that in mind it should be no problem having 2 films on the, now more common, dual layer disk without any further tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom