• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleep.com's 25 Top Albums of 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
fistfulofmetal said:
Haha. Yeah. Thank you for articulating exactly what I was thinking and tried to get across in my post earlier. I kind of liked the song Atlas, it had a nice sound to it but I got to two tracks after and had to turn it off.

I really don't get the appeal of whatever that was.

I was listening to the song Empty Bottle, and it really sounded like a fucking alarm clock going off - and I don't mean the radio, I mean the buzzer. It annoyed me to no end.

deadbeef

Solaros said:
And how would going to the local music store to buy the album be controlling the market? Everything anyone purchases controls the market whether or not that person is aware of it. Isn't the individual controlling the "free" market what it is all about anyway? The stairs are to the right to get off of your horse.

Get off my lawn!! *shakes fist*

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The more you listen to Battles, the more you like them.

Burgandy.jpeg

It's science.

Kevtones

fistfulofmetal said:
Haha. Yeah. Thank you for articulating exactly what I was thinking and tried to get across in my post earlier. I kind of liked the song Atlas, it had a nice sound to it but I got to two tracks after and had to turn it off.

I really don't get the appeal of whatever that was.

Part of their appeal is just the raw skill on display. The chops of every member involved are RIDICULOUS (particularly the drummer). Also, the music sounds like the rock music of 2027, while sounding like nothing else out on the scene. Oh, and its good and fun. I put in my top 10 (certainly not #1), but its a fucking cool record to say the very least.

Tim-E

Kevtones said:
Part of their appeal is just the raw skill on display. The chops of every member involved are RIDICULOUS (particularly the drummer). Also, the music sounds like the rock music of 2027, while sounding like nothing else out on the scene. Oh, and its good and fun. I put in my top 10 (certainly not #1), but its a fucking cool record to say the very least.

Bingo.

Flynn

Battles really are a great band live. If you really want to hear some difficult stuff, pick up any other Tyondai Braxton record. Saw him doing a solo set at Pitchfork one year (very, noisy and experimental) then with Battles at Pitchfork the next -- tight as fuck.

reilo

Kevtones said:

So, basically, just because something is different, it makes it better? What lame reasoning.

But hey, back in the 30s some idiot put a toilet in an art exhibit and people called it art. I also think that was idiotic, too.

Solaros

reilo said:
So, basically, just because something is different, it makes it better? What lame reasoning.

But hey, back in the 30s some idiot put a toilet in an art exhibit and people called it art. I also think that was idiotic, too.

It is because the music is good and different. You can shit out shit and it is all the same whether it is different or not. When you shit out gold bricks in different forms, you are onto something golden.

Kevtones

reilo said:

Reading comprehension is not your strength, apparently. Let me try some math:

Battles = Unique sound
Unique sound = Interesting
Interesting = A good thing
Battles = Good music
Good music = Interesting
Therefore,
Unique sound = Good music (in this case)

Its not good because its different, its good because its good. It also happens to be wholly unique math rock.

Well I have never heard of any of these (maybe one or two) so I youtubed Battles- Atlas and it was pretty damn good. Let me try a few more of their songs, and if they are lucky I will purchase their CD. (im not saying ripping is the alternative so chill)

Edit: Tonto sucked my balls. 1for2 not bad

reilo

Kevtones said:
Reading comprehension is not your strength, apparently. Let me try some math:

Battles = Unique sound
Unique sound = Interesting
Interesting = A good thing
Battles = Good music
Good music = Interesting
Therefore,
Unique sound = Good music (in this case)

Its not good because its different, its good because its good. It also happens to be wholly unique math rock.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't consider what those guys are playing to sound anything remotely like music.

It's rare that when I listen to a band or artist and actually have the noise they produce annoy me.

I hear nothing appealing that comes from their music. Like I said earlier, it lacks cohesiveness, it's nonsensical, and none of the sounds they produce make me want to continue listen to them.

Kevtones

reilo said:
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't consider what those guys are playing to sound anything remotely like music.

It's rare that when I listen to a band or artist and actually have the noise they produce annoy me.

I hear nothing appealing that comes from their music. Like I said earlier, it lacks cohesiveness, it's nonsensical, and none of the sounds they produce make me want to continue listen to them.

What do you normally listen to? I'll admit that Battles isn't very approachable, but the album they constructed is very cohesive and the rhythms alone drive that. Different strokes, different folks I suppose. At least we both know who matters in bball, RIP CITY.

reilo

Kevtones said:
What do you normally listen to? I'll admit that Battles isn't very approachable, but the album they constructed is very cohesive and the rhythms alone drive that. Different strokes, different folks I suppose. At least we both know who matters in bball, RIP CITY.

I listen to anyone from Led Zeppelin to Jay-Z to Coheed and Cambria to Wu-Tang to Radiohead to Green Day to Weezer to Lupe Fiasco to Royce Da 5'9 to The Roots to Guns 'N Roses to Muse to Depeche Mode. It's not like I am a stranger to electro-rock music, but I just find Battles unlistenable.

nba_schonely_180x200.jpg

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ugh,

I did NOT like Dizze Rascal's album this year. Usually he has that fire, but it wasn't workin' for me.

Solaros

reilo said:
I listen to anyone from Led Zeppelin to Jay-Z to Coheed and Cambria to Wu-Tang to Radiohead to Green Day to Weezer to Lupe Fiasco to Royce Da 5'9 to The Roots to Guns 'N Roses to Muse to Depeche Mode. It's not like I am a stranger to electro-rock music, but I just find Battles unlistenable.

Anything remotely related to math rock definitely takes music appreciation to listen to. Check out Hella (which I like better than Battles) they are the math rock band to me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Solaros said:
Anything remotely related to math rock definitely takes music appreciation to listen to. Check out Hella (which I like better than Battles) they are the math rock band to me.

Well, Hella used to be to me too until they added that shitty singer.

Mifune

Mehmber
Solaros said:
I agree, their earlier albums were so good. Anything Zach Hill touches makes me warm inside. Crime in Choir and Team Sleep. Team Sleep's song T o m b of Liegia I can NOT stop listening to.

Link to the T o m b of Liegia Video

The great thing about Zach Hill is he has something new coming out what seems like every week. You ever hear the collaboration he did with Nels Cline? That is crazy awesome noise wankery of the best kind.

Flynn

reilo said:

nba_schonely_180x200.jpg

Battles is an acquired taste to be sure. I think Radiohead is the closest thing to them on your list. I like to find the influences of my favorite bands and trace them back. I think you'll find that following Radiohead back you find some of the same, more experimental band inspired their work.

My life in music has brought me back around to bands multiple times. The first time I encounter them I couldn't bear them, but when I come to them four or five years down the road, suddenly something clicks there. Or they're still shit. I love the journey either way.

Solaros

Mifune said:
The great thing about Zach Hill is he has something new coming out what seems like every week. You ever hear the collaboration he did with Nels Cline? That is crazy awesome noise wankery of the best kind.

No I haven't. I will have to check it out when I get home after I listen to the GAF album!

Mamesj

Banned
I haven't seen Friend Opportunity by Deerhoof on any lists yet. Despite all the hype around it at the beginning of the year (almost got shut out at the freaking Metro in Chicago...after waltzing in to a hole in the wall show just a few months earlier), it seems like the album was forgotten by critics.

Dice Man said:
Just hang out in the monthly music threads. Much richer resource than a single end-of-year list.

where are these? we need an experimental/underground music thread.

Mifune

Mehmber
I enjoy Deerhoof quite a bit, but I find that every album of theirs post Apple O hasn't had much in the way of staying power.

I'm kinda surprised that New Magnetic Wonder hasn't popped up on more lists. Everyone loved that when it came out.

Solaros

Mifune said:
I enjoy Deerhoof quite a bit, but I find that every album of theirs post Apple O hasn't had much in the way of staying power.

I'm kinda surprised that New Magnetic Wonder hasn't popped up on more lists. Everyone loved that when it came out.

You sir just need to recommend me a bunch of bands in the vein of Hella or anything remotely like it.

what the hell is bleep.com? is it a good music site? someone should post pitchforks top 50 in a thread, it'll make for more angry discussion

Mamesj

Banned
muttyeah416 said:
what the hell is bleep.com? is it a good music site? someone should post pitchforks top 50 in a thread, it'll make for more angry discussion

itunes for indie groups. (not indie rock, just independent music.)

You sir just need to recommend me a bunch of bands in the vein of Hella or anything remotely like it.

I'm not him, but Lightning Bolt might be up your alley. Get the album Wonderful Rainbow...you'll be hooked after the song "Assassins." I guarantee it /george zimmer

Mifune said:

buuuut their albums before Apple O had even less staying power :lol

I can see what you mean though. I do listen to their stuff in spurts, even though they're probably my favorite band, especially live! but when I get into a mood for one of their albums, I usually listen to it like every day for a couple weeks straight--then nothing for months.

Mifune

Mehmber
Solaros said:

I'm not well versed in the world of noise/math/spaz rock. For more Zach Hill, I recommend The Advantage, although this being GAF and all I'm sure you already know them.

Have you tried Lightning Bolt? People seem to mention them in the same breath as Hella.

7Th

8 out of my 10 major favorites are in there, even if far from the order I would place them in. Blonde Redhead's 23 should be higher, in a fair world at least.

Solaros

Mifune said:
I'm not well versed in the world of noise/math/spaz rock. For more Zach Hill, I recommend The Advantage, although this being GAF and all I'm sure you already know them.

Have you tried Lightning Bolt? People seem to mention them in the same breath as Hella.

Ahh yes, thank you for reminding me of lightning bolt. I do like their music, and not I have not heard of "The Advantage." I will have to check them out, but pretty much anything Zach Hill blesses his sticks on I am a fan of.

Mifune

Mehmber
Solaros said:
Ahh yes, thank you for reminding me of lightning bolt. I do like their music, and not I have not heard of "The Advantage." I will have to check them out, but pretty much anything Zach Hill blesses his sticks on I am a fan of.

They play nothing but old 8-bit Nintendo tunes. You'll love it.

Solaros

Mifune said:
They play nothing but old 8-bit Nintendo tunes. You'll love it.

Thanks for getting me hard at work. Now I have to wait :( Delayed gratification is what makes people rich though...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
reilo said:
sorry, but i couldn't sit by and let some tool badmouth duchamp. viva la fountain!!

Marcel%20Duchamp.jpg

and i must be really out of the loop. is that list esoteric or is it just me?

reilo

mattiewheels said:
sorry, but i couldn't sit by and let some tool badmouth duchamp. viva la fountain!!

and i must be really out of the loop. is that list esoteric or is it just me?

I can piss in the snow and some idiot would call that art, too. To me, it still would be piss in some snow.

Mind you all, I go to an art school. Suck on that.

Armitage

reilo said:

man whats the deal with impressionism. doesnt look real at all!

edit: wait you go to an art school and don't know duchamp?

Solaros

reilo said:
I can piss in the snow and some idiot would call that art, too. To me, it still would be piss in some snow.

That artist thing explains alot. Some of the most dismal fucking people I have ever met (my sister went to the Art Institute of Chicago and I can barely talk to her anymore without feeling depressed).

reilo

Solaros said:
That artist thing explains alot. Some of the most dismal fucking people I have ever met (my sister went to the Art Institute of Chicago and I can barely talk to her anymore without feeling depressed).

:lol

Art Institute of Portland

Solaros

reilo said:
:lol

Art Institute of Portland

Really though, what do they do to you at art school that gives you such a dismal disposition? It is like she just got out of the Marine Corp and realized that she is just a linkin' log in the cabin doomed to only support the weight of the ones above her, and yet that still doesn't give her the desire to rise to the top.

7Th

Kevtones said:

Not to mention the technical complexity of their multilayered songs. I never expected to see this much bitching on Battles, they’re far from being that controversial considering their tunes display a very clear rhythmic composition at the very least.

Mamesj

Banned
reilo said:

well, that would explain your need to repeatedly voice your opinion on the matter. :lol

honestly, I don't debate with people when they say some of the stuff I listen to just sounds like bad noise (and some of it is.) until I can somehow transfer my direct experience of it to them, there's no point. pretty much the only response to an accusation of the music being talentless and pointless is: "it's a free country"

Solaros said:
Really though, what do they do to you at art school that gives you such a dismal disposition? It is like she just got out of the Marine Corp and realized that she is just a linkin' log in the cabin doomed to only support the weight of the ones above her, and yet that still doesn't give her the desire to rise to the top.

for the people who I know in art school who are serious about what they're doing, it's the day to day battle with people who tell them they're wasting their time with art, coupled with the competitive nature of art students (imagine you're an artist and reilo is going around telling everyone how much your stuff sucks behind your back, in order to sway in-class critiques of your work.)

Flynn

Solaros said:

You can lead 'em to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

reilo

Solaros said:
Really though, what do they do to you at art school that gives you such a dismial disposition? It is like she just got out of the core and realized that she is just a linkin' log in the cabin doomed to only support the weight of the ones above her.

After you hear jackasses who haven't showered for days wearing plaid shirts and Dickie pants with unkempt hair on why old Czechoslovakian film is revolutionary because the director chose to ignore simple things such as, you know, having a coherent point to the film and instead just juxtaposes bullshit imagery of women giving birth and trains arriving at the fucking train station, you just say to yourself, what's the point to all of this?

Not to mention having to write an in-class exam about how a Picasso painting is similar to a poem by that blabbering lesbian Gertrud Stein.

After a while you just want to say, shut the fuck up and design something that looks/sounds good and has a point to it. And most important of all, have fun with it. They confuse being different with being unique and good. Make something enjoyable with some substance to it and stop trying to annoy me by referencing some old avant garde painter on why your piece of work is good.

Yellow and pink is not a revolutionary color scheme asshole!

But oh, I am all about out doing others. I don't know what the deal with your sister is, but I loathe having to follow some 'rules' given to me by someone who knows nothing about design.

for the people who I know in art school who are serious about what they're doing, it's the day to day battle with people who tell them they're wasting their time with art, coupled with the competitive nature of art students (imagine you're an artist and reilo is going around telling everyone how much your stuff sucks behind your back, in order to sway in-class critiques of your work.)

Yeah, I don't do that. If they ask for my honest opinion, I'll give it to them. I'm not one to put down others in order to raise myself. I let my work speak for itself.

i listened to some battles and i gotta say it was really stupid it made me fell tired and bored, but anyway about the list i have never heard of any of those bands except bjork.
The art of partying should be no1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom