• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleep.com's 25 Top Albums of 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

that's just it; I don't know. the last time I was even really paying attention to music was in the 90s. :lol

like i said, there was a lot of stuff mentioned in these threads so I thought hey I wouldn't mind learning something and give it a shot.

I mean, from my time reading here, a lot of the people on the board share my taste in games and other things, so hey I respect opinions around here enough (well, except for when it comes to movies sometimes :D) that surely someone would help me find something interesting. Just trying to see what's out there.

unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way, but I try to keep an open mind.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Vyer said:
that's just it; I don't know. the last time I was even really paying attention to music was in the 90s. :lol

like i said, there was a lot of stuff mentioned in these threads so I thought hey I wouldn't mind learning something and give it a shot.

I mean, from my time reading here, a lot of the people on the board share my taste in games and other things, so hey I respect opinions around here enough (well, except for when it comes to movies sometimes :D) that surely someone would help me find something interesting. Just trying to see what's out there.

unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way, but I try to keep an open mind.

Give the album I recommended a shot. You seem to lean more to the metal rock without the electro stuff, right? Coheed is as rock as they come.

Vyer

QVT said:
Well what do you actually like?

Honestly, that's what I'm trying to figure out. Radio has bored me for a while (outside of hip hop and even that's hit or miss) and the last time I listened to much anything else it was 90s alternative.

Oddly enough, it seems most radio is still playing that a lot. :lol

Hell, most of the time I'm listening to podcasts, comedy and talk shows it seems. :D

I'm still making my way through suggestions and other things, I'm sure something will catch my attention.

reilo, I'll check that out. thanks.

EDIT:
Zilch said:
Vyer: That's pretty unfair. Both 'indie' and 'electronic' cover a huge fucking expanse of musical styles and sounds.

Sorry man don't mean to insult anyone. That's just what 'labels' it seems these threads were using as I was reading.

Mamesj

Banned
I was gonna start a new thread, but this one seems just fine:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_best_music_of_2007

the onion avclub best of 2007.

25. Iron And Wine, The Shepherd's Dog
24. James Murphy & Pat Mahoney, FabricLive 36
23. Fall Out Boy, Infinity On High
22. Bat For Lashes, Fur And Gold
21. Grinderman, Grinderman
20. Rilo Kiley, Under The Blackligh
19. Against Me!, New Wave
18. Ted Leo, Living With The Living
17. Low, Drums And Guns
6. The White Stripes, Icky Thump
15. Les Savy Fav, Let's Stay Friends
14. PJ Harvey, White Chalk
13. Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
12. Jesu, Conqueror
11. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
10. Bloc Party, A Weekend In The City
9. Wilco, Sky Blue Sky
8. Tegan And Sara, The Con
7. Amy Winehouse, Back To Black
6. M.I.A., Kala
5. Band Of Horses, Cease To Begin
4. LCD Soundsystem, Sound Of Silver
3. Radiohead, In Rainbows
2. The National, Boxer
1. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

though I don't like the practice of ranking, man, Neon Bible is pretty fucking fantastic. and I really expected it to fail hard...like Television's Adventure proportions. "No Cars Go" is definitely one of my favorite songs of the year.

for those of you looking for recommendations, they've got track samples of each band in the article.

7Th

Mamesj said:
though I don't like the practice of ranking, man, Neon Bible is pretty fucking fantastic. and I really expected it to fail hard...like Television's Adventure proportions. "No Cars Go" is definitely one of my favorite songs of the year.

for those of you looking for recommendations, they've got track samples of each band in the article.

I prefered the original "No Cars Go" myself.

Mamesj

Banned
7Th said:
I prefered the original "No Cars Go" myself.

I'll have to check that out. I haven't actually listened to the original EP yet, but now that I know a version of that song is on there... :D

Mamesj said:
I was gonna start a new thread, but this one seems just fine:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_best_music_of_2007

the onion avclub best of 2007.

25. Iron And Wine, The Shepherd's Dog
24. James Murphy & Pat Mahoney, FabricLive 36
23. Fall Out Boy, Infinity On High
22. Bat For Lashes, Fur And Gold
21. Grinderman, Grinderman
20. Rilo Kiley, Under The Blackligh
19. Against Me!, New Wave
18. Ted Leo, Living With The Living
17. Low, Drums And Guns
6. The White Stripes, Icky Thump
15. Les Savy Fav, Let's Stay Friends
14. PJ Harvey, White Chalk
13. Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
12. Jesu, Conqueror
11. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
10. Bloc Party, A Weekend In The City
9. Wilco, Sky Blue Sky
8. Tegan And Sara, The Con
7. Amy Winehouse, Back To Black
6. M.I.A., Kala
5. Band Of Horses, Cease To Begin
4. LCD Soundsystem, Sound Of Silver
3. Radiohead, In Rainbows
2. The National, Boxer
1. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

hm i like this list a lot more. this music is a lot more accessible. amy winehouse sucks fuckin ass though. and bloc party's latest is terrible
Zilch said:
People should listen to the new British Sea Power album. It's the only rock music I listen to nowadays that makes me want to pump my fist.

edit: why don't we have music discussion threads here? all we've got are 'what are you listening to?' threads were people just post images and measure their dicks. talking about music is so much more interesting to me.
whoa, how is this? i didn't know this was out. i love their sound. recently on pitchfork i watched this promo video for their new album and there was this awesome instrumental track playing over it, just heavy heavy drums and distortion, nothing like what i was used to.

Fuzzery

Listening to the battles now, never heard them before.

I gotta say, this stuff is pretty accessible, honestly not very "far out" or "too weird' at all. I think their choice of timbre is excellent btw.

Fuzzery

Zilch said:
Vyer: That's pretty unfair. Both 'indie' and 'electronic' cover a huge fucking expanse of musical styles and sounds.
Classical music covers by far the most though, and it has such a pitiful fanbase on GAF :(

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
reilo said:
So, basically, just because something is different, it makes it better? What lame reasoning.

But hey, back in the 30s some idiot put a toilet in an art exhibit and people called it art. I also think that was idiotic, too.
Then you're just a philistine and have no place discussing this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cool, I'm not the only one who is just like "how could people listen to this rubbish?" when they put on an MIA album. Maybe it's an acquired taste or something.

Only albums I know on that list are Untrue and Asa Breed. Untrue is great, Asa Breed is alright, but after all this time I had no idea that Audion was an alias of Matthew Dear...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Another thing to keep in mind guys: This Bleep list only includes the artists/labels that distribute their music through bleep.com. I'm not sure if I'm being stupid and pointing out the obvious...

pxleyes

Banned
Wow... I just tried listening to that Battles shit...and I want to shove pencils in my ears. WTF is this shit? No seriously, people think this is good? I pity you all.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
pxleyes said:
Wow... I just tried listening to that Battles shit...and I want to shove pencils in my ears. WTF is this shit? No seriously, people think this is good? I pity you all.
Be glad you didn't listen to M.I.A.

Dilbert

RSTEIN said:
Another thing to keep in mind guys: This Bleep list only includes the artists/labels that distribute their music through bleep.com. I'm not sure if I'm being stupid and pointing out the obvious...
I was going to say...I think people totally missed that point. You wouldn't see The Field on this list since you can't buy the record on Bleep.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
-jinx- said:
I was going to say...I think people totally missed that point. You wouldn't see The Field on this list since you can't buy the record on Bleep.

Yes. And you won't see Tuss or Radiohead or any other stuff like that.

For those that don't know, Bleep.com is a truly amazing store. It's DRM free, no bullshit whatsoever. You buy an album, single, whatever, and you can download it as many times as you want from the store and put it on as many devices you want. The big electronic-focused labels (Planet Mu, Warp, Domino, XL, etc.) came together to make the site, joined by the smaller, electonic/indie/experimental/etc. labels.

There's no point to really even debating this list, or saying that the list is made of stuff that "makes my ears bleed" or whatever. Complaining about the list is like complaining that your favourite drama movie was left out of nominations for best comedy movie of the year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
pjberri said:
Then you're just a philistine and have no place discussing this.

Yes, I must be so feeble minded and simplistic since I don't consider a toilet bowl to be a piece of art. Ad-hominem are fun.

RSTEIN said:
Yes. And you won't see Tuss or Radiohead or any other stuff like that.

For those that don't know, Bleep.com is a truly amazing store. It's DRM free, no bullshit whatsoever. You buy an album, single, whatever, and you can download it as many times as you want from the store and put it on as many devices you want. The big electronic-focused labels (Planet Mu, Warp, Domino, XL, etc.) came together to make the site, joined by the smaller, electonic/indie/experimental/etc. labels.

There's no point to really even debating this list, or saying that the list is made of stuff that "makes my ears bleed" or whatever. Complaining about the list is like complaining that your favourite drama movie was left out of nominations for best comedy movie of the year.

Oh okay I had no idea... still regardless the list is pretty pointless.

At least the Onion mixed it up a bit. I like the Fall Out Boy album!

But New Wave was such a disappointment for a long-time Against Me! fan. :(

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
reilo said:
Yes, I must be so feeble minded and simplistic since I don't consider a toilet bowl to be a piece of art. Ad-hominem are fun.
That a urinal isn't a piece of art is exactly the point of Fountain. Are you trying to prove what I just said? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom