• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg report on Xbox in Japan.

cja

Desperate. Even Capcom are turning down the money hats now. :)

Microsoft Aims to Reverse Xbox's Japan Failure With Local Games

June 29 (Bloomberg) -- Two years after Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates handed out the first Xbox game console at a Tokyo video store, the machine's Japanese sales trail those of Sony Corp.'s rival PlayStation 2 console by 48 to one.

That's partly because Japanese Xbox owners have about 160 games to choose from, compared with more than 6,000 for the PlayStation 2. Microsoft, the world's biggest software maker, plans to gain on Sony by releasing new games tailored for Japanese users with the next version of the Xbox, said Norman Cheuk, head of Microsoft's game development division in Tokyo.

``It's too late to be No. 1 on this version of the console,'' said Cheuk, 35, who moved to Tokyo from Microsoft's Redmond, Washington, headquarters in September and oversees a team of 100 game developers. ``A lot of what we're doing today is to position ourselves. We're looking at the future generations where we'd like to be successful.'' Microsoft hasn't said when it will release an updated Xbox console.

Japanese consumers bought about 60,000 Xboxes last fiscal year, compared with 2.9 million Sony PlayStation 2 consoles, according to Tokyo-based market researcher Enterbrain Inc. The Xbox ranked third by sales behind PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Co.'s GameCube, according to Tokyo-based market researcher Enterbrain Inc. The companies don't report console sales by country.

Xbox sales in Japan -- the world's second-biggest market for video-game consoles and software after the U.S. -- slid by two-thirds in the year ended March 31, according to Enterbrain. Sales dropped even after Microsoft cut the console's price by a third to 16,800 yen ($153) in November.

`Strong Support Base'

To grab market share from Sony and Nintendo in Japan's $3.8 billion market for game consoles and software, Microsoft must convince Japan's biggest game publishers to make more titles for the Xbox, said P.J. McNealy, an analyst at American Technology Research in San Francisco. Microsoft's own Japan-based game developers plan to release just three new games over the next year, according to the company.

``To be successful in the Japanese market you need a strong support base of Japanese developers,'' McNealy said. ``For Sony and Nintendo, their base in Japan gives them a huge edge over Microsoft.''

Konami Corp., Japan's biggest independent game maker, released flight-simulator game ``Air Force Delta 2'' exclusively for the Xbox when the console debuted. The follow-up version of the game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 2, said Hitomi Nozawa, a spokeswoman for the game maker.

Capcom, Square Enix

Capcom Co., Japan's third-biggest game maker, has turned down offers from Microsoft in recent months to help pay distribution and development costs in return for more exclusive games for the Xbox, said Kazuhiko Abe, head of Capcom's corporate strategy division, without giving details. He said his company, which currently makes one game exclusively for the Xbox, isn't interested in developing more.

``There are no plans,'' Abe said in an interview. ``It's just not profitable enough.'' Of the 25 games Capcom plans to release this year, only one will be compatible with the Xbox.

Asako Miyata, a Tokyo-based spokeswoman for Microsoft, declined to comment on the company's discussions with Japanese game makers.

``We can't provide details as to our specific efforts with those publishers, including financial support,'' Miyata said.

Square Enix Co., Japan's No. 2 game maker, publishes none that can be played on the current Xbox. It's considering making titles for the next Xbox, said Michiro Sasaki, general manager for corporate planning. Tokyo-based Square Enix's ``Final Fantasy'' series for the PlayStation 2 console -- in which players assume roles and team up with other characters to achieve objectives -- has sold 60 million copies worldwide.

`Dead or Alive'

Microsoft has allied with smaller Japanese partners. Tecmo Ltd., a Tokyo-based game developer whose 52.6 billion yen in sales last fiscal year were a quarter of Capcom's, makes the two bestselling titles for the Xbox in Japan, according to Enterbrain. They include ``Dead or Alive,'' a fighting game centered on a martial-arts tournament.

The Xbox trails in Japan because players have a smaller choice of locally designed games, said Peter Moore, Microsoft's vice president of retail sales and entertainment -- especially popular role-playing titles like ``Final Fantasy.''

``You could probably argue that if we had a Japanese-centric role-playing game at the beginning of the console life cycle we would probably be in a better position today,'' Moore, 49, said in an interview last month at the E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

Better Outside Japan

There are fewer than 160 Xbox-compatible games sold in Japan, compared with 6,165 that can be played on the PlayStation 2 and 191 for the GameCube, according to the companies.

The Xbox has performed better outside Japan. Microsoft said last month it was on track to sell between 13.5 million and 16 million of the consoles worldwide by the end of its business year on June 30. That's roughly on par with the 14.5 million GameCube consoles Nintendo had sold as of March 31. Sony had sold 70 million PlayStation 2 machines as of March 31.

Cheuk said he's replaced some of his team's 100 game designers and engineers with new Japanese talent, without giving details.

In the U.S., Cheuk oversaw the development of ``Project Gotham Racing,'' the No. 3 best-selling Xbox game worldwide, which lets players virtually race cars such as Ferrari SpA's Enzo through the streets of major cities.

Monk Warrior

Cheuk's Tokyo studio released ``Magatama'' -- an action game featuring a sword-wielding monk warrior who fights to rid an ancient Japanese capital of supernatural forces -- in November. Spokeswoman Miyata wouldn't disclose the game's sales. The studio will release ``Sudeki,'' a role-playing game, by the end of 2004 and two more titles by mid-2005, the company said this month.

Microsoft's Japan-based game developers have faced setbacks. The company said in a statement earlier this month that it canceled its ``True Fantasy Live Online'' role-playing game -- which would have accommodated thousands of players at once over the Internet -- after almost three years in development because it wasn't happy with progress on the game.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000101&sid=a6lnGKueKIro&refer=japan

tenchir

6,000+ titles? Are they including PS1 titles too? If that's true, then not having BC is going to hurt MS even more when they debut XBOX2.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
``There are no plans,'' Abe said in an interview. ``It's just not profitable enough.'' Of the 25 games Capcom plans to release this year, only one will be compatible with the Xbox.
ouch.

belgurdo

Banned
"Xbox is failing and we don't know why! Oh well, let's focus on our plans to release 43948329 titles for the PS2 and 2 ports of the lowest selling titles to the Xbox and Cube (with special preorder bonus for the Cube version) "

Great news as always. ^_^

knowyourrole.jpg

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I like Bloomberg's emotionless descriptions of video games.
Tokyo-based Square Enix's ``Final Fantasy'' series for the PlayStation 2 console -- in which players assume roles and team up with other characters to achieve objectives

Tenguman

Microsoft, the world's biggest software maker, plans to gain on Sony by releasing new games tailored for Japanese users with the next version of the Xbox, said Norman Cheuk, head of Microsoft's game development division in Tokyo.

Translation: The next xbox will only have 160games available in Japan too!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Cheuk's Tokyo studio released ``Magatama'' -- an action game featuring a sword-wielding monk warrior who fights to rid an ancient Japanese capital of supernatural forces -- in November. Spokeswoman Miyata wouldn't disclose the game's sales. The studio will release ``Sudeki,'' a role-playing game, by the end of 2004 and two more titles by mid-2005, the company said this month.

Um, isn't Sudeki being made in the UK?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Sega had sold 6.5 million DCs by February 1, 2001 and had 2 million more in the warehouse. That took 2 or so years of effort and wasn't bad, but by that time Sony had already shipped about 5 million or so PS2s worldwide.

And besides, Sega had just gone off a year where they lost half a billion dollars.

Alcibiades

they (edit: Square) were also considering N64 development...

I hope Sega learns a lesson about the development and marketing "moneyhats" from Microsoft that may not be that much of a safe bet...

Sega and Capcom are two of the Cube's most popular 3rd parties, and Sega has had way more success (non-Visual Concepts/sports) on Cube than on either PS2 or XBox, even with Microsoft marketing assualts on TV for games like Jet Set Radio Future and Panzar Dragoon Orta...

Alcibiades

BuddyChrist83 said:
and I'm sure, at one time, they considered Xbox development.

and Dreamcast

BTW, you're thread title was quite sensationalistic on this point, my kind of thread title...

NWO

Another reason why no BC is stupid for MS. They should just not even release the Xbox 2 in Japan and that's a possibility since they are trying to save money this time around.

ypo

"Wow, the Japanese market has nosedived. Even Dreamcast sales weren't much lower than that"

Hahah.

Defensor said:

Capcom should try giving XBox owners more than re-hashed garbage!

<cough> Genma Onimsha, Dino Crisis 3 <cough>

How about a 2D fighter with some sprites that aren't 15 years old, Capcom should really be quiet on te matter, it's not like they reallyl have thrown in full support behind the console anyway........

Alcibiades

Apharmd Battler said:
Capcom should try giving XBox owners more than re-hashed garbage!

<cough> Genma Onimsha, Dino Crisis 3 <cough>

How about a 2D fighter with some sprites that aren't 15 years old, Capcom should really be quiet on te matter, it's not like they reallyl have thrown in full support behind the console anyway........

maybe they are just learning from Sega's mistake...

why learn a hard (and probably expensive) lessons on your own when you can learn from other's failures...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Well Dino Crisis 3 was a new game in the series and an exclusive. And Xbox did get some original titles like Group S Challenge and Steel Battalion.

BuddyC

SolidSnakex said:
They actually did. They mentioned they liked Xbox Live but that wasn't enough to make them want to develop for it.

I know. My point was they'll consider, to some degree, any console that comes out. That's the nature of being a software developer.

Defensor said:
ouch.

Capcom Co., Japan's third-biggest game maker, has turned down offers from Microsoft in recent months to help pay distribution and development costs in return for more exclusive games for the Xbox, said Kazuhiko Abe, head of Capcom's corporate strategy division, without giving details. He said his company, which currently makes one game exclusively for the Xbox, isn't interested in developing more.

Double ouch.

P90

Bottom line: why have backwards compatiblity with a failed console? Hence, Xboxnext is not planned to have it.

Without strong SquareEnix, Konami, namco and Capcom support, a console is doomed to a small marketshare. GTA this gen is a fluke.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Square/Enix will never make games for an X-BOX system. They're just saying they're "considering it" 'cos they want to keep Sony in check. They're basically just letting Sony know that there are other suiter's out there willing to pay. On top of that Sony is a shareholder in the company so there's no way it's happening.

Microsoft can't even buy support anymore, they would have to take over Sega or some other company in order to garner Japanese support.

HOPEFULLY, the support that CAPCOM, Sega & Konami gave to the X-BOX can be shifted to the next Nintendo console instead. I would've loved it if Genma Onimusha, Silent Scope Complete, Toejam & Earl, Sega GT, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, JSR, DDR, Dino Crisis, etc. were all on a Nintendo console, they would help the system and probably would've sold better than on X-BOX not only in Japan, but probably America too. Hell even Tecmo, Sammy & SNK's X-BOX support for a Nintendo console would've done wonders IMO, but no...MS had to come in with their money and dupe them into supporting them instead...even when most of the games didn't fit the demographic.

DrGAKMAN said:
Square/Enix will never make games for an X-BOX system. They're just saying they're "considering it" 'cos they want to keep Sony in check. They're basically just letting Sony know that there are other suiter's out there willing to pay. On top of that Sony is a shareholder in the company so there's no way it's happening.

Microsoft can't even buy support anymore, they would have to take over Sega or some other company in order to garner Japanese support.

HOPEFULLY, the support that CAPCOM, Sega & Konami gave to the X-BOX can be shifted to the next Nintendo console instead. I would've loved it if Genma Onimusha, Silent Scope Complete, Toejam & Earl, Sega GT, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, JSR, DDR, Dino Crisis, etc. were all on a Nintendo console, they would help the system and probably would've sold better than on X-BOX not only in Japan, but probably America too. Hell even Tecmo, Sammy & SNK's X-BOX support for a Nintendo console would've done wonders IMO, but no...MS had to come in with their money and dupe them into supporting them instead...even when most of the games didn't fit the demographic.

In before BuddyC
sad.gif

jarrod

Banned
Seems creating a false market for Japanese product has come to bite Microsoft in the ass. Next time around developers won't believe them and likely won't bother with Xenon. I really only see Tecmo, Sega Sammy and maybe Namco delivering any noteworthy content in the future...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
Seems creating a false market for Japanese product has come to bite Microsoft in the ass. Next time around developers won't believe them and likely won't bother with Xenon. I really only see Tecmo, Sega Sammy and maybe Namco delivering any noteworthy content in the future...
If the Japanese market keeps declining and other Western markets continue to thrive, they'll have incentive to pursue Xbox 2 (assuming that system has the same level of success here as its predecessor).

...of course, if the current Xbox is any indication, they'd have to concentrate on FPS' and racers, with the occasional T&A game, and I'm not sure how much they'd like that. ;)

P90

jarrod said:

If i was a bettin' man , I would bet that no exclusive namco content will be coming Xenon's way.

jarrod said:

And I don't even see Tecmo coming to bat next gen since xenon won't be the most powereful graphically.

Interesting stuff.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
I'm curious as to what is that one game Capcom has for Xbox this year. Is it announced?
Two actually, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike and Capcom Fighting Jam. There's rumors that Biohazard Outbreak and Monster Hunter might come also.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
*sigh*

This is the same stuff I was talking about years ago when I predicted the failure of xbox in japan, and defect of any japaneese developers, and how, once you fail once in japan, your pretty much doomed forever.

Suikoguy said:
*sigh*

This is the same stuff I was talking about years ago when I predicted the failure of xbox in japan, and defect of any japaneese developers, and how, once you fail once in japan, your pretty much doomed forever.

So how did Sega end up doing fairly respectably with the Saturn and DC in Japan despite the failure of the Mega-Drive there? ...hmmm...then again, they're a Japanese company.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
So how did Sega end up doing fairly respectably with the Saturn and DC in Japan despite the failure of the Mega-Drive there? ...hmmm...then again, they're a Japanese company.
MegaDrive fared decently in comparison to Dreamcast in Japan I'd say. It had far more marketshare, a higher end userbase (3.5M to DC's 2.5M) as well as decent 3rd party support (Namco, Konami, Koei, Falcom, Sims, Taito, GameArts & Capcom in particular) not to mention the flurry of great tiny JP developers who started out on it (Treasure, Ancient, Camelot, Climax, Nextech, etc). Saturn was really Sega's only resounding Japanese success though (MegaDrive & Kids Gear were decent performers considering, Dreamcast & the Mark series struggled at best, Pico & 32X were more experiments than anything).

jedimike

Suikoguy said:
*sigh*

Doomed how? I know efrain likes to break out the Sega charts in a pinch, but there are plenty of developers who have had more success on Xbox than GC. Some developers even have more success on Xbox than PS2.

Go check out video-fenky... there's an article in there that states that an evergrowing population of Japanese citizens believe that playing video games causes learning disabilities.

edit...

according to the 2004 CESA Research Report on the General Public (released last month), 12 percent of Japanese agree with the statement "Video games retard the brain development of young children", up from 3.5% two years ago.

Gaming in Japan is heading towards a huge slump.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
Doomed how? I know efrain likes to break out the Sega charts in a pinch, but there are plenty of developers who have had more success on Xbox than GC. Some developers even have more success on Xbox than PS2.
In Japan? Are you sure?

jedimike said:
Gaming in Japan is heading towards a huge slump.
Correction, they're already in a huge slump. Still they're the number two national market and likely account for more than a third of worldwide game development... shrugging off Japan is a fatal mistake for any game console. If Microsoft does that, they'll never move out of third place.

jarrod said:
MegaDrive fared decently in comparison to Dreamcast in Japan I'd say. It had far more marketshare, a higher end userbase (3.5M to DC's 2.5M) as well as decent 3rd party support (Namco, Konami, Koei, Falcom, Sims, Taito, GameArts & Capcom in particular) not to mention the flurry of great tiny JP developers who started out on it (Treasure, Ancient, Camelot, Climax, Nextech, etc). Saturn was really Sega's only resounding Japanese success though (MegaDrive & Kids Gear were decent performers considering, Dreamcast & the Mark series struggled at best, Pico & 32X were more experiments than anything).

Yeah, you're right. Still, this was at the time when there were gazillions of small developer outfits...when games could still be made without getting into the $500,000+ range and require teams of 30+ staffers.

jarrod

Banned
Tecmo (or at least Team Ninja) on Xenon is a given imo, Itagaki has aleady made hints that DOA4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 will turn up there. I think Sega Sammy will give it a try again (though much less enthusiastic than their initial XBox push). Ben Herman's already hinted than SNK will be on board too (though they'll also be delivering on PS3 and Revolution). Namco, Capcom & maybe parts of Konami (KCEH & KCES mainly) will throw Xenon a few ports also and maybe there'll be some lower profile stuff from smaller publishers like From Software or Genki. Pretty much I expect the people supporting XBox now to support Xenon in the future, and that's probably it for Japan.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Japanease gaming market has stagnated since there is no more room for growth,while US/EU markets are growing rapidly,especialy the european one,with time other markets around world will open up ultimately leaving Japan with ever shrinking marketshare of the world market,luckily most of the people in Japanease industry understand it,on the negative side rising development costs will likely recude amount of titles targeting Japanease gamers only since they will have to enter the world market in order to recoup the costs

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Society said:
HeadHunter, VirtuaCop3, ESPN, Otogi 2, Puyo Pop Fever, Spikeout Battle Street.

For starters, Otogi 2 is not made by Sega

Top Bottom