• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blu-Ray has been detrimental to the Video game Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

molasar

Banned
Probably standard will be the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player but still compatible with Blu-ray discs.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Certain Blu Ray companies even offer a Limited Lifetime Warranty on their discs. Meaning, if the disc itself fails, they'll compensate you.

I can't think of any other medium to date that has that. Seriously, I'd love for someone to shed some more light on this. Has there ever been a consumer format that came with at lifetime warranty? CDs? No way. Cassettes? No way.

Blu Ray is a very reliable format. I can't believe this is the first generation where any real risk of disc scratching or premature decay is on the end user. Why ditch a format that works?

Last edited:

onQ123

Probably standard will be the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player but still compatible with Blu-ray discs.

I'm going to go out on a limb & say that Sony skipped 4K UHD Blu-ray for a reason & if anything they will have a 8K format with 300GB or more because UHD Blu-ray is still 50/66/100GB.

molasar

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb & say that Sony skipped 4K UHD Blu-ray for a reason & if anything they will have a 8K format with 300GB or more because UHD Blu-ray is still 50/66/100GB.
Good for us. My only real incentive of jumping to 4K at the moment is a couple of favourite films from 80s released in this format.

Last edited:
Banned again. I'm welling up here.
Having caught up with this thread, it's such a strange hill for the OP to die on, that's for sure... I really don't see how Blu-Ray has been detrimental. If anything, video games, particularly when it comes to physical media, have benefited from the greater capacity of the BR discs. And the fact that they are scratch resistant compared to previous optical formats is a plus, too.

Having caught up with this thread, it's such a strange hill for the OP to die on, that's for sure... I really don't see how Blu-Ray has been detrimental. If anything, video games, particularly when it comes to physical media, have benefited from the greater capacity of the BR discs. And the fact that they are scratch resistant compared to previous optical formats is a plus, too.
He's started a few odd threads where he states his opinion as fact, then attempts to tell any dissenting voices that they are completely wrong and that's that. Very strange.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You have to thank Sony. Microsoft supported the open format HD-DVD.

#4ThePlayers
HD-DVD wasn't an open format. Not even close. It was run by the same forum and governing body that created DVD where Toshiba held the most patents.

This is as false as the BS Freedom Gate was posting.

Last edited:

Actually it started with the Chinese thread were OP said Xbox sold 70 million units. Op took translations from a chinese article and removed letters to make his quotes read like it was talking about Xbox when it really was PS4 mentioned in the source article. Then knew no one would bother checking the source, which was a news aggregate, and claimed the company was an outlet that had data on Chinese manufacturing. Then, when the mod changed the title, and removed his thread priviledges, He edited the mod comment out and turned it into an attack on the "whole" community and it's still there now:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/chin...sold-over-70-million-consoles-report.1468211/

I think this thread had nothing to do with PS3 vs. 360. Because the 360 didn't have a single game on HD DVD. I think he was only trying to keep his last thread alive, but went too far in his recent posts.

Actually it started with the Chinese thread were OP said Xbox sold 70 million units. Op took translations from a chinese article and removed letters to make his quotes read like it was talking about Xbox when it really was PS4 mentioned in the source article. Then knew no one would bother checking the source, which was a news aggregate, and claimed the company was an outlet that had data on Chinese manufacturing. Then, when the mod changed the title, and removed his thread priviledges, He edited the mod comment out and turned it into an attack on the "whole" community and it's still there now:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/chin...sold-over-70-million-consoles-report.1468211/

I think this thread had nothing to do with PS3 vs. 360. Because the 360 didn't have a single game on HD DVD. I think he was only trying to keep his last thread alive, but went too far in his recent posts.
Ah, I even put in a comment in that thread explaining how machine translators are really bad for Asian languages.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Who is this guy? No way this is real right? Are we all being punked?
Dude is playing the Insult Game in not so clever ways. Criticism and insult are two different things. And apparently OP thought calling people cowards is a strong selling point for his thread.

Notice your cowardice here. You insult me but don't address a single thing in my last post and move topics.

Will you man up and respond? You're the one that wanted me to detail to you how DRM works, or do you concede?
You might want to buy into the idea why you near-consistently get banned for the same thing over and over. Protip, it isn't because other people are cowards.

Happy new year Freedom.

OP is the perfect example of someone being programmed by the childish system wars , How could you be mad at Blu-ray? lol you really bit all the Xbox 360 vs PS3 trolling that happened back in the day & held on to it.

Look around it's 12 years later & Blu-ray has been the disc format of choice for 2 whole generations & might make it to 3. How can you be upset with something like that?
I do not agree often with your views but this is just spot-on. I see it simply as that there were two successor to DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray simply won due in part that PS3 had a blu-ray drive on default whilst X360 needed a seperate HD DVD drive for that. Well, that, and the fact Time Warner took a side and it was not HD-DVD, but i am just talking purely on the games here.

It really isn't more complicated than that, atleast when we talk consoles. Nobody is going to purchase a pricey add-on when your competitor has a similar solution already built-in the console. It didn't work for SEGA in the 90's (Not completely comparable but hey) or SNK, so why Microsoft thought that people would be shelling another 200 bucks for a format primarily supported by one vendor (Toshiba) i have no idea.

Banned again. I'm welling up here.
It isn't hard when you try to be condescending AF and claim you actually read things when your entire OP is based on a premise to talk shit about a format that is actually the leading format in the world right now for playing discs.

My guess? I think OP bought that HD DVD drive add-on for the X360 back in 2006/2007.
But if that still grinds your gears 11 years later..
ShruggingShoulders.png

Maybe OP just wanted a
PissedOffPCGuy.png
in general. I think that's a sad state of affairs though if that's the kind of fun you need online.

Nah, it's about trying to extend this thread. A 360 vs. Ps3 fan war doesn't make much sense as the 360 addon only played movies and the 360 was finalized before the format war started. PS3 mandated BR from the start and was delayed due to it and adding a GPU in response to the 360. There really wasn't a war as whoever won Microsoft technically still ended up the winner.

This is OP trying to salvage his last thread.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
delayed due to it and adding a GPU in response to the 360. There really wasn't a war as whoever won Microsoft technically still ended up the winner.

The GPU in PS3 is not a response to the 360 though, Sony was working on a GPU with Toshiba and fell back to nVIDIA when they had to give up on the former making it in time for launch and not breaking the bank (heat and yield issues quite likely).

Microsoft technically still ended up the winner.
Hehe, neck and neck... debatable ;). Not sure this is on topic though heh.

onQ123

Nah, it's about trying to extend this thread. A 360 vs. Ps3 fan war doesn't make much sense as the 360 addon only played movies and the 360 was finalized before the format war started. PS3 mandated BR from the start and was delayed due to it and adding a GPU in response to the 360. There really wasn't a war as whoever won Microsoft technically still ended up the winner.

How did they end up the winner if the 2 consoles that released a year after them ended up selling more & one of the consoles was sold at a higher price?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

MS actually was the big loser. Their overall goal from the beginning was to extend the format war to ultimately make digital downloads (before streaming) a thing and be the leader in that market. They had little (HDi) vested interest in HD-DVD succeeding. At the time (2007) the 360 itself was the number one platform provider for movie downloads and MS wanted to have full control of that industry. Of course under the leadership of Steve Ballmer they could never capitalize. When the X1 was initially revealed MS was actually correct in recognizing that digital downloads where the way things were going, but they blundered it so badly with their messaging and tried to force that direction far too soon.

In hindsight I think the bigest mistake MS made was keeping streaming services like Netflix behind the Xbox Live paywall for far too long. But it's possible that MS was never going to have true control of that industry as Smart TVs eventually took over.

Fun fact: SmartTVs were something I initially hated when they first came out as I wanted every dollar I spent on a TV to go towards to the best and absolute picture quality and I felt that all the apps and stuff were costs taking away from that. Now, I love my SmartTV!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom