• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09•02-04•16 - Labored breathing @ weekend box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

SXCG5FE.jpg
x16v95T.jpg
kUW8ynI.jpg
QCZzXQR.jpg
o34L0hl.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
86% Don't Breathe
eptv7.gif
26% Suicide Squad
kavuF.gif
87% Pete's Dragon
8vteV.gif
96% Kubo and the Two Strings
0hJB1.gif
82% Sausage Party
CBq5r.gif
61% The Light Between Oceans
-
-
-
-
-
n/a No Manches Frida
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
43% Morgan

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Don’t Breathe’ Frightens Competition at Labor Day Box Office

But the holiday proved tough for two new entries into the market. Disney’s “The Light Between Oceans” was heading for a modest sixth-place finish with $6.1 million at 1,500 sites and Fox’s sci-fi thriller “Morgan” was nearly invisible with $2.4 million at 2,020, leaving it in 18th place.

Monday will also mark the final day for summer box office with the last year’s $4.48 billion, according to comScore. That would be about even with last summer’s total but 5.5% behind the 2013 record of $4.75 billion. The Labor Day frame is performing better than last year’s, when Sony’s second weekend of “The War Room” won with $13.3 million over the four days.

“Don’t Breathe” will hit nearly $55 million in its first 11 days and is already in profit for Sony, thanks its price tag of less than $10 million. The tale of a home-invasion burglary gone bad is the latest in a long line of strong performers in the horror category this summer, including two New Line entries — “The Conjuring 2” and “Lights Out” — Universals’ “The Purge: Election Year” and Sony’s “The Shallows.”

“Suicide Squad” declined by only 18% during the Friday-Sunday period and has become the eighth title to top the $300 million mark this year.

Disney’s fourth weekend of fantasy-adventure “Pete’s Dragon” was leading the rest of the pack with an estimated $8.9 million for the four days, edging Focus Features’ third frame of animated drama “Kubo and the Two Strings” with $8.7 million. Sony’s fourth weekend of “Sausage Party” is following in fifth with $6.7 million for a total of nearly $90 million.

Disney’s launch of period drama “Oceans” premiered Thursday in competition at the Venice Film Festival. Starring Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander and Rachel Weisz, the film is the final DreamWorks title being distributed by Disney through its Touchstone label with future DreamWorks movie going out through Universal.

“The Light Between Oceans,” which carries a $20 million production budget, is directed by Derek Cianfrance from his own script based on the M.L. Stedman novel.

“Morgan,” directed by Luke Scott, centers on an intelligent robot — played by Anya Taylor-Joy — who attacks one of her creators. The ensemble cast includes Kate Mara, Toby Jones, Rose Leslie, Boyd Holbrook, Michelle Yeoh, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Paul Giamatti.

“Morgan” is a low-risk proposition for Fox with a skimpy $6 million budget. Scott is the son of Ridley Scott and has been a second-unit director on two of his father’s recent movies — “The Martian” and “Exodus: Gods and Kings.”

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kmfdmpig

Why does the article say SS has crossed 300 when the chart shows it at 297.4? It'll cross tomorrow, but it hasn't crossed it yet.

Ridley327

Not surprised to see The Light Between Oceans falter. Even if you discount Disney shoving it out there to complete the Dreamworks deal, the reviews simply weren't strong enough to attract a bigger audience, and that's exactly the kind of film where they matter.

kmfdmpig

Glad to see Kubo dropped only a little this weekend. I know it will lose money, but hopefully the losses are as small as possible as it's such a good film.

3N16MA

Banned
Big fail for SS. Won't touch JW DOM total and won't get close to Avatars OS total. WB is going to take a 600-700M loss on that film.

Alrus

That hold for Don't Breathe is amazing.

Pretty good week end for Suicide Squad too.

Pete Dragon seems to be holding out okay-ish, considering the low budget it won't be a disaster like The BFG was.

Morgan is a complete bomb but that movie seemed dumb anyway.

Litan

I'm just happy it outgrossed Thor 2. Even with that Avengers rub Thor got outgrossed by a film starring Deadshot.

Bwahahaha
Bruh, the movie heavily advertised Joker and had Harley and Will Smith with a little batman thrown in.

This ain't no underdog story.

saddens me a little that a movie like that can make serious bank.
i still hope DC will improve their movies even though the garbage they put out post-Nolan were profitable. SS bombing could've shaken things up a bit but oh well...

DeathyBoy

Banned
saddens me a little that a movie like that can make serious bank.
i still hope DC will improve their movies even though the garbage they put out post-Nolan were profitable. SS bombing could've shaken things up a bit.

It saddens me that JW made over a billion, I got over it.

obin_gam

Don't Breathe was worse than BvS.
I do not get the hype. It was fucking laughable.

Yes (considering what happens in the movie it'd be surprising if it wasn't tbh).

What? What should be R in the movie according to you? I can't see anything over PG.
If you're saying the jizz-injector, that was just stupid.

Sean C

All parents who took their kids to see The Secret Life of Pets and/or The Jungle Book but not Pete's Dragon should hang their heads in shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom