• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09•02-04•16 - Labored breathing @ weekend box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
It means he watched Civil War and kept thinking the third act would've been better if everyone was shirtless, covered in grease fist fighting to the death.

What's your deal, bruh

no fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural stuff.

Ah. That's...odd.

I wonder if that precludes him from being Bullseye. Cuz he should totally be Bullseye. I wonder if he got my letters...

It means he watched Civil War and kept thinking the third act would've been better if everyone was shirtless, covered in grease fist fighting to the death.

So a guy movie then. Also, as like a parody of American politics or whatever, I would totally watch that. Been a while since The Campaign. I need that political satire itch scratched, particularly because some guy is going everybody material, let me tell ya.

DeathyBoy

Banned
What's your deal, bruh

Ah. That's...odd.

I wonder if that precludes him from being Bullseye. Cuz he should totally be Bullseye. I wonder if he got my letters...

The fact that Statham stars in some films with some hilarious hoyay fight scenes?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Mechanic sequel seems like DOA, does this mean Statham is done (for reals this time, he's been doing a lot of under the radar stuff) as a draw?

The first one did $30M domestically, so they never truly were box-office hits though these kind of films play well on-demand and physical media - it's a profitable venture for Lionsgate so until the Statham gravy trains stop, they'll continue greenlighting these $40M budgeted action films.

Tom_Cody

Is there a consensus opinion on whether Suicide Squad will beat Guardians of the Galaxy in the US final numbers?

Suicide Squad had a bigger opening, but Guardians overtook SS's daily numbers after a week or so into their respective runs. Guardians has been gaining on SS every day, but I can't tell whether the streams will actually cross.

I watched SS today and what a horrible movie. I am flabbergasted that I read some posts here where people are okay with the direction and want the future DC movies to follow that formula.
The jokes were all flat, worst Joker ever, story made no sense, villain that made it seem like Marvel's villains were all top notch, too much focus on Will Smith (for real, what was the deal with this)? Fire guy (forgot his name) was lame. Killer Croc was cool, but not enough time with him. Scooby Doo Shaggy looking guy who played Robocop having an important part in the story was just a shake my head moment. On the plus side, I liked Harley Quinn (not sure if she's true to the Comic Book character or not), but I could do with less (a lot less) sexualization of her.

I seriously think SS is significantly worse than BvS and the 2nd worst comic book movie I have watched in recent memory, only beating last year's Fan4stic which was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. DC is making me look back fondly on Man of Steel and I thought MoS sucked (Thor 2 and TIH level of suckiness).

I don't see that much buzz for Dr. Strange, at least not to the point where you would say Thor 2 numbers are a disappointment.

I agree. I hear no buzz and the movie looks trippy as hell, so much so that I am not sure yet if I'll go watch it in the theaters. Looks too weird to me. I will wait for WOM.

kswiston

Is there a consensus opinion on whether Suicide Squad will beat Guardians of the Galaxy in the US final numbers?

Suicide Squad had a bigger opening, but Guardians overtook SS's daily numbers after a week or so into their respective runs. Guardians has been gaining on SS every day, but I can't tell whether the streams will actually cross.

Suicide Squad is probably looking at around $5M for next weekend, and $320-325M total. Maybe slightly less if drops pick up now that Suicide Squad will start shedding venues.

The first (new) TMNT made $24M more after Labor Day in 2014, coming off a $15.6M 4-day weekened.

In both US and worldwide, it'll be in spitting distance, but it's unlikely to pass.

kswiston

Somewhere between $5-15M below Batman v Superman domestically is pretty crazy given what people thought going into this year.

Schlorgan

China is already Star Trek Beyond's biggest foreign take with $30,820,011 after the opening weekend.

Using the 55/35/25 rule, the domestic take for the studio has been $85,276,577 (out of the $155,048,322 total), the foreign take has been $34,887,996 (out of the $99,679,989) and the China take has been $7,705,002 (out of the $30,820,011) so the actual amount of money going to the studio from worldwide is $127,869,575 (out of the $285,548,322).

Going by the reported production budget of $185 million, the studio has lost $57,304,425 just based on the production budget. If the Bloomberg numbers are correct and the movie represents a ~$80 million loss for Paramount, does that mean they really only spent $23 million on marketing for the movie? That would explain why so many people didn't even know it was out, but did they really have that little faith in it?

I'm not great with math, so this could be off, but that's concerning if they were just kind of throwing it out to die, as they say.

Ross61

I'm wondering how Warner Bros "has fallen so low" when the company has a long history of releasing shit movies. Like the shit to good ratio is insane.

kswiston

China is already Star Trek Beyond's biggest foreign take with $30,820,011 after the opening weekend.

Using the 55/35/25 rule, the domestic take for the studio has been $85,276,577 (out of the $155,048,322 total), the foreign take has been $34,887,996 (out of the $99,679,989) and the China take has been $7,705,002 (out of the $30,820,011) so the actual amount of money going to the studio from worldwide is $127,869,575 (out of the $285,548,322).

Going by the reported production budget of $185 million, the studio has lost $57,304,425 just based on the production budget. If the Bloomberg numbers are correct and the movie represents a ~$80 million loss for Paramount, does that mean they really only spent $23 million on marketing for the movie? That would explain why so many people didn't even know it was out, but did they really have that little faith in it?

I'm not great with math, so this could be off, but that's concerning if they were just kind of throwing it out to die, as they say.

Overseas average outside of China is higher than 35%. It might be closer to that with China skewing things. Most places I have seen go with a low 40s cut for the international market. Of course, things vary a bit depending on where the money is made, since different markets have different cut. I like the 40% ballpark that Deadline and others use.

As for the Bloomberg estimate, that might be after home video and streaming. I never read the article in detail.

320M finish for SS gives it decent legs.

Really think it would have topped BvS with better reviews.

Now to wait for WB to make a good DC film, since they haven't in a long time. Hell, I would accept even average to above average like TDKR. Just imagine how much money they would make if they could even get that good again.

Busty

Banned
I'm going all in on Sully next weekend and saying that it grosses $30m (or more!) over the three days.

I have a feeling that a portion of the American Sniper audience are going to turn out for this and make it a minor September hit.

tomtom94

Paramount's marketing strategy for Star Trek was just confusing. I think there was a huge internal panic after the negative reception to the first trailer where they all collectively agreed they were going to take an L on the movie.

milanbaros

Member?
320M finish for SS gives it decent legs.

Really think it would have topped BvS with better reviews.

Aren't they the worst legs of a big budget August movie ever? Or did I read that wrong?

Edit: Just had a look. For the top 35 August openers (#35 is Don't Breathe), only 2 films will have worse legs (Freddy vs Jason and Alien vs Predator). Where does the 'good legs' narrative come from?

Busty

Banned
I'm wondering how Warner Bros "has fallen so low" when the company has a long history of releasing shit movies. Like the shit to good ratio is insane.

Total and utter nonsense. Since 2010 Warners have had 7 films nominated in the Best Picture category at the Oscars winning in 2012 for Argo.

I believe they tie Miramax for the number of Oscars won in the Best Picture category overall.

CassSept

Aren't they the worst legs of a big budget August movie ever? Or did I read that wrong?

Edit: Just had a look. For the top 35 August openers (#35 is Don't Breathe), only 2 films will have worse legs (Freddy vs Jason and Alien vs Predator). Where does the 'good legs' narrative come from?

SS was huge for an august opener, beyond GotG (which had REALLY good legs) the next biggest august opener is Bourne Ultimatum, 133m v 69m opening.

It has decent enough legs for a comic book movie. Much better legs than BvS. Better multiplier than either X-Men Apocalypse or Civil War. Only Deadpool has it beaten in that department this year thus far.

kswiston

SS was huge for an august opener, beyond GotG (which had REALLY good legs) the next biggest august opener is Bourne Ultimatum, 133m v 69m opening.

It has decent enough legs for a comic book movie. Much better legs than BvS. Better multiplier than either X-Men Apocalypse or Civil War. Only Deadpool has it beaten in that department this year thus far.

Suicide Squad's legs aren't all that great if you remove all of the comic film sequels, and just compare it to other first installments. It did have the largest opening for a new series though, and that $20M Thursday doesn't help the OW multiplier.

kswiston

I'm going all in on Sully next weekend and saying that it grosses $30m (or more!) over the three days.

I have a feeling that a portion of the American Sniper audience are going to turn out for this and make it a minor September hit.

Boxoffice.com has Sully at $30M as well. Deadline is going with a lower $24-25M, but it seems like Sully will have a good for September opening.

When the Bough Breaks is the more interesting performance to watch for me though. Sony is severely lowballing with a $10-12M prediction. Other industry projections go into the low 20s. Boxoffice.com is saying $17M. Considering the performance of similar films by Sony Screen Gems (Obsessed - $29M, No Good Deed - $24M, The Perfect Guy - $26M), I think they could all be lowballing,

Everyone agrees that The Wild Life is going to flop Norm of the North style. I don't even know why Lionsgate is bothering with theatrical releases for those films.

Meh WB gave me nice guys this summer. Will take it over the dull output I get from Disney every year. Kudos to them for nailing what the general audiences want, but their live action output has been mostly bland for years.

kswiston

Meh WB gave me nice guys this summer. Will take it over the dull output I get from Disney every year. Kudos to them for nailing what the general audiences want, but their live action output has been mostly bland for years.

Next summer is looking bleak if you want a film with a decent sized budget outside of cinematic universes, sequels and remakes. Dunkirk and Valerian are pretty much it.

Next summer is looking bleak if you want a film with a decent sized budget outside of cinematic universes, sequels and remakes. Dunkirk and Valerian are pretty much it.

Valerian will prolly be trash but I'm interested. Theyre giving besson so much money.

And Dunkirk is practically a lock for best movie of the summer.

3N16MA

Banned

Decent legs compared to the two previous DCEU films and not bad considering the drop after OD.

Not stellar legs overall.

Penguin

Ben-Hurt continues to be the summer's biggest bomb

'Ben-Hur' Faces Epic $120M Loss as Summer's Biggest Box-Office Bust

Steven Spielberg's 'The BFG' and fellow Disney release 'Alice Through the Looking Glass" are other giant-sized summer tentpoles racking up major losses.
Ben-Hur? More like Ben-Horrendous.

The ancient tale directed by Timur Bekmambetov is officially the biggest bust of summer 2016 and is on track to lose an epic $120 million or more, according to sources close to the film and multiple box-office analysts consulted by The Hollywood Reporter. The Paramount/MGM release has grossed just $53.9 million to date at the global box office since its mid-August debut, including a dismal $25 million domestically. While it has several major foreign market

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-09-08 06:55:20_ehayden&utm_term=tie_internal

kswiston

Deadline and Variety both have Sully at $12M today and over $30M for the weekend.

When the Bough Breaks was put at $6-7M, which would probably mean a $17-20M weekend.

The Wild Life is heading towards a big old flop at an estimated $900k on Friday

EDIT: Also, 3 of the 4 wide releases this weekend (When the Bough Breaks, The Disappointments Room, and The Wild Life) currently have a combined Rotten Tomatoes score of 15%.

BumRush

Deadline and Variety both have Sully at $12M today and over $30M for the weekend.

When the Bough Breaks was put at $6-7M, which would probably mean a $17-20M weekend.

The Wild Life is heading towards a big old flop at an estimated $900k on Friday

EDIT: Also, 3 of the 4 wide releases this weekend (When the Bough Breaks, The Disappointments Room, and The Wild Life) currently have a combined Rotten Tomatoes score of 15%.

COMBINED???

lol...

3OSa6E6.png

milanbaros

Member?
Decent legs compared to the two previous DCEU films and not bad considering the drop after OD.

Not stellar legs overall.

Decent compared to Man of Steel? Won't it end up having worse legs than MoS?

The point is, August films tend to have great legs so you can't really compare it to films opening at other times of the year. When you compare it to other films released during August the legs are awful.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The in theater trailer for When the Bough Breaks made me laugh so hard. Its like every stereotype for women turned up to 11.

Isn't When the Bough Breaks the same film as Obsession, The Perfect Guy, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, etc?

I wonder what zany hijinks she'll use to seduce the husband and make the wife think she's crazy.

Saw Don't Breathe on Monday, it was pretty damn good. Unlike even most grounded horror films, it does its best not to cheat the audience. I appreciate that from a screenplay. And most of the jump scares are blissfully silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom