• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 09•02-04•16 - Labored breathing @ weekend box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
All parents who took their kids to see The Secret Life of Pets and/or The Jungle Book but not Pete's Dragon should hang their heads in shame.
Nephew thought Pete's Dragon looked scary so we took him to see Kubo instead. I'll probably have to see Pete's Dragon by myself.

MartyStu

I am pissed that SS is doing so well because it is a not-great movie.

I am super happy that SS is doing great because it means that WB will take that as having been all due to the tone in the ad campaign and actually make a movie with that sense of humor and style.

Currently trying to reconcile these two thoughts.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I am pissed that SS is doing so well because it is a not-great movie.

I am super happy that SS is doing great because it means that WB will take that as having been all due to the tone in the ad campaign and actually make a movie with that sense of humor and style.

Currently trying to reconcile these two thoughts.

I'd love to see the Squad fight Black Adam. That'd be hilarious.

Penguin

And everyone continues to ignore TMNT 2 when it comes to comic book properties....

I will always continue this fight!

kswiston

You can tell that we are in the slow box office season when this thread struggles to pass the first page.

Suicide Squad will likely hit $700M in the next week or so.

Star Trek Beyond's debut in China is decent but not amazing.

Well I haven't been here to drive discussion with topics like:

Suicide Squad BO
The Simon Pegg Cinematic Universe
How shitty Canada is

guek

Banned
Yeah I think an Ant-Man or Thor 2 sized take is a pretty reasonable prediction for Strange.

Thor 2 numbers ($644M) are probably near the ceiling. I doubt the budget is more than $170M but it's unlikely to be as low as Ant-Man's $130M. $600M WW would be my guess at a modest target gross.

Sulik2

You all are crazy if you think Doctor Strange is only gonna do Ant man or thor 2 numbers. We have had awful movies this year and the terrible box office numbers to back up people not seeing those movies. Which leads me to believe we have pent up demand for good family action films. Doctor Strange and Rogue One will get big boosts IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised at DS out grossing BvS if it gets good word of mouth. And Rogue One is gonna be a domestic juggernaut.

I see Doctor Strange pulling Thor 2 numbers at minimum, unless the reviews are shit. However, it might pull a Deadpool and show something different enough from the super hero norm and take off to be absolutely huge.

It is a wild card, but I don't see it getting as low as Ant-Man was.

Penguin

I see Doctor Strange pulling Thor 2 numbers at minimum, unless the reviews are shit. However, it might pull a Deadpool and show something different enough from the super hero norm and take off to be absolutely huge.

It is a wild card, but I don't see it getting as low as Ant-Man was.

I think Fantastic Beasts 2 weeks later may hinder some of its legs though. We'll see.

Mrbob

You all are crazy if you think Doctor Strange is only gonna do Ant man or thor 2 numbers. We have had awful movies this year and the terrible box office numbers to back up people not seeing those movies. Which leads me to believe we have pent up demand for good family action films. Doctor Strange and Rogue One will get big boosts IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised at DS out grossing BvS if it gets good word of mouth. And Rogue One is gonna be a domestic juggernaut.
Dr Strange seems to be going outside the MCU comfort zone, curious to see how audiences react. But if Marvel can make Iron Man a movie tentpole they should be able to do the same with Dr Strange. Isn't he going to be the new top main character outside of Spiderman. I expect to see Dr Strange in everything after the solo movie releases.

3N16MA

Banned
You can tell that we are in the slow box office season when this thread struggles to pass the first page.

Suicide Squad will likely hit $700M in the next week or so.

Star Trek Beyond's debut in China is decent but not amazing.

I wait for all the filler discussion during the middle of the week.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dr. Strange has Cumberbatch, I think it will do more then fine. Thor 2 numbers are set at least IMO. If the movie turns out good, I think it will do Guardians Numbers.

tomtom94

Ant-Man had a fair amount of negative publicity, partly but not entirely stemming from the Edgar Wright business and the dodgy first trailer (and bad word of mouth continuing from Age of Ultron, if you believe the internet) and it still did good numbers.

Doctor Strange by comparison has much more going for it, including a bankable-ish lead in Cumberbatch, a great supporting cast, and a trailer that's been much better received. It's going to make bank.

Alrus

Since when has Benedict Cumberbatch become this super bankable actor?

Thor 2 number would be great for Dr Strange I think. I don't expect it to go much higher.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Since when has Benedict Cumberbatch become this super bankable actor?

Thor 2 number would be great for Dr Strange I think. I don't expect it to go much higher.

When was the last time marvel casted a bankable actor for a lead role?

Alrus

He helped Star Trek.

Heh not really? Star Trek Into Darkness grossed less domestically than the original and the overseas gross was ultimately disappointing considering the growth of multiple overseas markets between the two movies.

Schlorgan

Heh not really? Star Trek Into Darkness grossed less domestically than the original and the overseas gross was ultimately disappointing considering the growth of multiple overseas markets between the two movies.
I bet Beyond would have done better if he was in it. XD

My sister went and saw it with her friends and her friends said they liked Into Darkness better solely because of Cumberbatch and I can't imagine that they're the only ones that felt that way.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't see that much buzz for Dr. Strange, at least not to the point where you would say Thor 2 numbers are a disappointment.

Penguin

Dunno but people are acting like having Cumberbatch will make Dr Strange more successful than most superhero debut film, I don't see it.

Reminds me of that time when everyone was going on about how Cumberbitches were gonna come out in groves to make one of his movies a hit and it came out like a wet fart.

I'll wait until we get closer to see Strange's marketing for an idea of how well it may do.

kswiston

It looks like a lot of 3-day estimates have been revised down. 4-day Studio Estimates are also out

3-Day Weekend Studio Estimates

lJA2yCx.png

4-Day Weekend Studio Estimates

fTGksab.png

I saw Suicide Squad last night, finally, with my gf who is a Harley Quinn devotee. We agreed it was bad. I just don't know what they were trying to accomplish.

Mechanic sequel seems like DOA, does this mean Statham is done (for reals this time, he's been doing a lot of under the radar stuff) as a draw?

S1kkZ

I saw Suicide Squad last night, finally, with my gf who is a Harley Quinn devotee. We agreed it was bad. I just don't know what they were trying to accomplish.

Mechanic sequel seems like DOA, does this mean Statham is done (for reals this time, he's been doing a lot of under the radar stuff) as a draw?

he will probably end up in direct-to-video hell, with a few roles in bigger films.
since the dungeon siege film, he refuses to do any films that are "not real", which really limits the roles he could play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom