• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bokeh Game Studio (Slitterhead) (ex-Siren, ICO, Silent Hill devs) are teasing potential Junji Ito collaboration

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Sick!!

I want to be able to run away from my own balloon face that’s trying to hang me.

SFhsUOq.jpg

Last edited:
I've got several books from Junji Ito, then recently saw the animation on Netflix, I hate to say, but it all comes off more silly and goofy than horror.
But I do like.

Much like Berserk, the most important thing a potential collaboration project will need is the art. It will need to look 2 times better(artistically, not graphically) than current day Slitterhead, which sometimes borderlines on basic asset usage.

At minimum, they should be aiming to look as good as Bloodborne.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
The early gameplay footage suggests a mix of Bloodborne-style combat, Parasite Eve mutations and Stray-like cat controlling elements:

It looks rough but that's pre-alpha for you. I trust Keiichiro Toyama's direction, he has only ever made one bad game (Siren).

Doesn't look too promising

WHERE'S SIREN?????

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Random question:
Would you play a Gravity Rush without Kat?
A Gravity Rush without Kat would hurt me a lot.... She is the soul of the video game....

Regarding video games, I played Siren... Siren 2 never came to America, so I emulated it, but I could never get past the scenario where you control a blind man and a German shepherd guides you through his vision... I Gotta back to the video game....

I liked the first video game because of the facial animations, but I left it halfway... I have to go back to it, I bought it on PSN.

Last edited:

Keihart

The early gameplay footage suggests a mix of Bloodborne-style combat, Parasite Eve mutations and Stray-like cat controlling elements:

It looks rough but that's pre-alpha for you. I trust Keiichiro Toyama's direction, he has only ever made one bad game (Siren).

i had not seen this, looks like they are gonna try something similar to Siren 2 again, maybe not as non linear, but different characters that control different to progress the narrative from different povs

Slitter has all the vibes of this part on Siren 2

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I prefer flowy and showy combat to the more deliberate Souls style stuff but the monster designs are cool for what’s there in the preview and it’s totally the kind of thing I’d chill and watch some gameplay for.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Konami should have let Bokeh do a Silent Hill
Keiichiro Toyama is the only one from Team Silent and wasn't even with Team Silent when they made Silent Hill 2
People Keep thinking that it's just Bloober Team that's making Silent Hill 2 Remake when it's not.
Both Masahiro Ito & Akira Yamaoka are leads on the project with Motoi Okamoto( who was originally from Nintendo which ironically is where other Team Silent members are
Pretty sad the main guys behind Silent Hill 2 are now making stuff like Mario Tennis)
Blooper just makes up the team
Both Masahiro Ito & Akira Yamaoka are not with Konami anymore and they chose to come back for it so I have a little faith in it.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Keiichiro Toyama is the only one from Team Silent and wasn't even with Team Silent when they made Silent Hill 2
People Keep thinking that it's just Bloober Team that's making Silent Hill 2 Remake when it's not.
Both Masahiro Ito & Akira Yamaoka are leads on the project with Motoi Okamoto( who was originally from Nintendo which ironically is where other Team Silent members are
Pretty sad the main guys behind Silent Hill 2 are now making stuff like Mario Tennis)
Blooper just makes up the team
Both Masahiro Ito & Akira Yamaoka are not with Konami anymore and they chose to come back for it so I have a little faith in it.
Yamaoka's involvement honestly means jack at this point outside of getting some vocal tracks shoehorned into the game. Ito should minizime bloober's damage as far as visuals go but he's not the sort of guiding creative force needed to keep the character and story stuff from being damaged beyond repair.

Doom85

Komi-san announced as protagonist for Slitterhead

…..Komi-san? This Komi?

Komi Cant Communicate GIF by Swaps4

……

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Is there a Junji Ito character named Komi (I like some of his work, but I definitely don’t remember the characters’ names)? Or is this just an odd joke that I’m not getting?

(for the record, I love the Komi manga, honestly being introduced to it in 2020 and having so much comedy and heart and also showing encouragement to those with social anxiety which I also struggled with in middle school and to a lesser degree today, it definitely helped me get through such a depressing year)

Last edited:

Melchiah

The trailer sure seemed interesting.

Not to mention, the concept art.

jDTwIDn.jpg

ibMoWN5.jpg

ORNXzsG.jpg

XMUj6UN.jpg

3ifg9Cs.jpg

59pkCMM.jpg

Definitely the game I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully it'll be devoid of the tiresome run & hide elements that are far too common in horror games these days.

"The game doesn't fully enter the horror genre. It spans over multiple genres where horror is expressed. From there, I wanted to widen the player base who could access the game, including players who don't usually play horror games," Toyama said, as transcribed by PC Gamer.

"I wanted a game that could be enjoyed for its action, yet whose concept doesn't solely revolve around killing enemies. It conflicts the mind, making the players reluctant to enter certain fights. I want to achieve both action and drama with this game."

That said, it won't be entirely without it's surprises - even in the "slower parts".

"There is a terror aspect that I want to include even if the game lays more towards action," Okura added. "There are some slow and fast moments as well. I'd like to include some horror elements in the slower parts, balancing with the frenzy action moments."

“The game will have you battling mysterious creatures that can mimic humans,” said Toyama, as these were shown off in their grotesque form in the original trailer. “But how can you smoke them out to make them reveal themselves? This will form a major pillar of the adventure and the story. The creatures are named Yakushi, a kind of monster that have their roots in classical theatre.”

EDIT: Fixed the image links.

Last edited:

ElCasual

My wish is that somehow Keiichiro returns to SIE (NOT GONNA HAPPEN) even better with this studio (NOT GONNA HAPPEN) In fact the most probable thing is that MS Buy this studio for the hunger of the Japan market.

Top Bottom