• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
lucius said:
I am more than halfway through, I want to play at least one more time after this play through, is it more fun starting a new game playing as a new different character or just use New Game Plus?

New Game+

That is when you start to find the really good weapons.

I'll be picking this up on the 19th off PSN it's going to be on sale for $14.99 to Plus subscribers, full game + all DLC. $19.99 for non-plus. I have a level 36 character ready to start up a second play through... if anybody would like to join me send me a message on PSN, I'd like some help getting the co-op trophies. My PSN ID is StunandStab

Seeing as heaps of people picked up Borderlands during the Steam Summer Sale, and maybe a few of those would rather use the 360 controller, I thought some might be interested in this info to change all the icons (press * to pick up weapon) to the 360 icons.

"You will need to go into My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config
and open WillowGame.ini in a text editor, search for FakePlatform
the line will say FakePlatform=-1

change the -1 to 1

-1 = disabled/auto
0 = PC
1 = xbox 360
2 = playstation 3

this will update the HUD/User interface to use the xbox 360 controller button icons
You'll also notice in the main menu "Online Game" and "LAN Game" will change to "Xbox LIVE" and "System Link"

The loading tips and training tooltips will still show keyboard bindings"

I'm having a problem running this game from steam.

I played it earlier when it finished downloading and everything was fine.

Now, I have it stuck at downloading. It's at 100%, and alternates between downloading and suspended. No traffic is being used, so it's not downloading anything!

When I try to launch the game, it gives me the "The game is currently unavailable" note.

Tried to defrag and verify. Everything is fine. Anyone have/had similar problems?

Beat the original game a couple of days ago.

SURPRISE BOSS FIGHT!

W.T.F.

Anyway, I am currently shooting my way through DLC1.

Couple of questions:

How active is the online community?
How much of it is hacked?

pancakesandsex said:
Ok gaf, I'm stumped. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a gamepad working with this game.

I use a logitech rumblepad 2, and while it's recognized by the game, the left stick Y axis inputs are flipped, so up is backwards and down is forwards. I have no idea how to fix this. I have tried messing with the .ini files a bunch but can't track down the line that controls this function or the change I need to make to get it to work properly. Halp.
Same issue here. Logitech pad, left stick axis flipped. I'm comfortable enough with M/KB but it's a shame that everything else on the gamepad is flawlessly recognized except the left stick. Same thing happened to me with Batman: AA. Getting a PC Xbox gamepad is out of the question right now, and I have never been able to make my wireless 360 pads work on my PC.

Played for about 1 hour and a half yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised at how well optimized the game is. Runs great at 1280x720 on my modest GT220 with practically everything on and textures on high. If I make enough compromises I can even eek out decent performance at my native res (1600x900), but I'm good to go with 720.

Starts kind of slow, I've seen only fetch quests or "kill this" ones, but the entire first hour was stolen by Claptrap, so I'm not complaining. I just loved its weird dialogue/monologues.

*I think...I can see the code...*

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just a heads-up for PS3 Borderlands players. If you don't have the DLC yet, the full DLC bundle is going on sale next week on PSN for $19.99/$14.99 for Plus members.

Seraphis Cain said:
Just a heads-up for PS3 Borderlands players. If you don't have the DLC yet, the full DLC bundle is going on sale next week on PSN for $19.99/$14.99 for Plus members.
I'm only missing mad moxxie and I might get it if it's on the cheap.

Played a lot more than I would have anticipated, backlog be damned. Probably 4 hours in, Lv 11 and ready to leave the Arid Badlands. I chose a sniper, BTW. Even though I suck at sniping.

I fucking hate spitting skags. :|

Jaffaboy

SteelAttack said:
Played a lot more than I would have anticipated, backlog be damned. Probably 4 hours in, Lv 11 and ready to leave the Arid Badlands. I chose a sniper, BTW. Even though I suck at sniping.

I fucking hate spitting skags. :|

Use revolvers dude, I started using them about level 25 and never used the sniper again. They're faster, have insane damage, and are pretty easy to get headshots with at most ranges. Sniping at long range in this game just didn't sit well with me.

Jaffaboy said:
Use revolvers dude, I started using them about level 25 and never used the sniper again. They're faster, have insane damage, and are pretty easy to get headshots with at most ranges. Sniping at long range in this game just didn't sit well with me.
:eek: Oh my. And I ditched revolvers for a shotty/sniper combo. That's it, going wild west as of today.

Mikey Jr.

Which class is the most "fun" to use.

Starting this game soon, and as usual, I'm leaning towards soldier because they seem the most normal, I guess.

They are most proficient in assault rifles and shotguns though, which I think would probably be my most primary weapons, no?

benjipwns

Banned
SteelAttack said:
:eek: Oh my. And I ditched revolvers for a shotty/sniper combo. That's it, going wild west as of today.
Don't care about overloading your character with one weapon. Keep the best you can get at your primary, and then provide diversity. Shotgun is great for a sniper because it helps you in close combat. But there is no issue with using the rest, pistols can be good for a sniper due to the accuracy boost.
Mikey Jr. said:

Starting this game soon, and as usual, I'm leaning towards soldier because they seem the most normal, I guess.

They are most proficient in assault rifles and shotguns though, which I think would probably be my most primary weapons, no?
Depends on how you define "fun."

All classes are fun if you are willing to run with them. If you want to plow through easy and basically unstoppable on your first run, there's the Siren.

Any class can and should use any weapon.

Thrakier

Thinking about buying the game as DD because of the PSN offer (15$ with all Add-ons). Is the coop community still going? Coop with randoms worth it?

Bought this game today with my ps+ welcome back and loving it but wtf with all of the respawning enemies? The skags are unbelievably annoying already.

TheExecutive said:
Bought this game today with my ps+ welcome back and loving it but wtf with all of the respawning enemies? The skags are unbelievably annoying already.

If the enemies didn't respawn, it would be a really boring game given all the back tracking involved.

If I find a gun in a container will the gun respawn if I dont take it? There is an awesome level 25 gun I found but I am at level 12 and dont really want to lug it around until 25.

TheExecutive said:
If I find a gun in a container will the gun respawn if I dont take it? There is an awesome level 25 gun I found but I am at level 12 and dont really want to lug it around until 25.
Nope, although, if you have the Mad Moxii DLC, you can buy a safe to store stuff in there.

Yuripaw

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
So 15 bucks for the game and dlc...should I dip?
If you never played it before, I'd say yes. I've already played the hell out of this game on xbox 360, but I don't own an xbox 360 anymore at the moment, so I've decided to double dip on this deal. Most of the DLC for this game is awesome, and the game itself is great. $15 is a bargain for so much game to play. It'll keep you occupied for a long time.

If you want a friend to add and play some co-op with some time, feel free to add me. My psn tag is Ockman. I might not be able to play much in the next couple weeks because I'm moving soon, but I love me some Borderlands, and plan to replay through it multiple times again with this bundle purchase. Anyone else in this thread is free to add me as well if they picked this game up recently and are down for some co-op.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ostinatto said:
Bought this game yesterday, what is wrong with the MP, no team deathmatch? this game have no competitive MP? :(

You can melee attack people to start a duel with them in co-op.

Otherwise, no, no structured deathmatch mode. And thank goodness for that. This isn't a traditional FPS. There's plenty of other games out there where you can prove your superiority to other people. Borderlands is about working together.

zatara

Mikey Jr. said:

Really depends on what you like to do. Personally Mordecai is my favorite cause the dude specializes in long range gun play. Nothing more boneriffic than popping off heads from long range.

Lilith is good if you just wanna do massive amounts of elemental damage over time. Get a few good elemental SMG's and just go balls deep and phasewalk when health gets low. There is something gratifying when using Lilith and mowing down a bunch of enemies and just seeing a bunch of numbers all over the screen from the dots.

Roland, dude is boring as hell. Sure he has a shield that can protect you and offer support in health and ammo. Dude is just boring. He's good if you do a lot of co-op online cause of his support options, just not really fun solo.

Brick, he can do a crap ton of damage with melee. If you aren't a big fan of melee skip this dude. He really has nothing special as far as gun specialization since rocket launchers aren't that great to use as an all purpose weapon.

Yuripaw

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Just beat the game today. Is there any point to playing a 2nd play through besides leveling up your character?
This game isn't really about beating the story...it's about getting better guns and leveling up. As well as playing co-op with friends, and the experiencing the DLC is pretty fun too.

Edgeward

The drops in the 2nd playthrough are way better, and you're character is way more fun when you have 50 skill points to play with. And since you can respec whenever and as many times it's fun to experiment.

zatara

zerokoolpsx said:
Just beat the game today. Is there any point to playing a 2nd play through besides leveling up your character?

Beating it on the first play through will probably get you in the high 30's level wise. You have so much more to level, and so much more loot to get. Then you add in the expansions and you are in heaven.

OTIX

Got this on the Steam sale and I've been playing it nonstop for about a week, so much fun. Just finished playthrough 2 solo, including Crawmerax, so I'm probably done for now. I play the Siren, I might try a different class at some point but they just don't look very appealing. Her "get out of jail free card" means that you can play really aggressively, jump into any battle and headshot guys point blank, and always be fine. It's a little op but for soloing I highly recommend her.

There needs go be more games in this genre.

Edgeward

They are not even comparable as BL is much more Diablo like in structure, and includes nothing of conversation trees or dialogue choices.

DigitalDevil said:
If I like shooter rpg's like alpha protocol and deus ex but have no, I mean zero, interest in multiplayer should I play this game?

I just finished playing Alpha Protocol and started on this game and I am loving it. As Edgeward mentioned they are nothing alike gameplay wise but the item management and upgradeable aspects of the characters are just as fun in this game as they were in AP.

mrkapawutzis said:
I just finished playing Alpha Protocol and started on this game and I am loving it. As Edgeward mentioned they are nothing alike gameplay wise but the item management and upgradeable aspects of the characters are just as fun in this game as they were in AP.
Coooooool, thanks. I'll grab it for fifteen bucks. Go go playstation plus.

So I downloaded this off the PSN store, installed everything except the claptrap revolution dlc. For some reason it'll give me an error half way through the install, any idea why?

Top Bottom