• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Woo-Fu

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
Is the second playthrough worth it?

Definitely, IMHO, if you want the game to be at least a little challenging. As soon as you hit the Vault on your 2nd playthrough most of the mobs in the game get upleveled so that the range is your level -1 to your level +4. Battles get more interesting, loot gets better, etc. If I were just starting I'd play through everything once, then do just the main questline in playthrough 2 to trigger the leveling, then go back and do the sidequests/dlc.

I spent most of today killing Crawmerax with a level 69 Siren trying to get pearlescent weapons. I got the sniper rifle(Bessie!) and the repeater.

Nelo Ice

Banned
just beat the game with my cousin and got to lvl 36 with my siren so im guessing i should go through the dlcs on playthrough 1 then start playthrough 2?

Nelo Ice said:
just beat the game with my cousin and got to lvl 36 with my siren so im guessing i should go through the dlcs on playthrough 1 then start playthrough 2?

Yeah, do them in this order-

Zombie Island
General Knox
Claptrap

Doesn't really matter about the arena one, since you don't level, but you can unlock a couple of things and also get the safe to store equipment in.

I played the SHIT out of this when it first came out and got a bit tired of it. I just popped it in again and the old magic is still there, almost a year off did me some good. There's nothing like going to Old Haven and popping dudes with my Pestilent Defiler.

Teknoman

I hope Borderlands 2 stays far away from Gamespy, especially for PC. Actually i'd like to see it be the second PS3 Steamworks game. Would be awesome.

Nelo Ice

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, do them in this order-

Zombie Island
General Knox
Claptrap

Doesn't really matter about the arena one, since you don't level, but you can unlock a couple of things and also get the safe to store equipment in.

just finished zombie island and i missed zombie tk bahas quest =/ ridiculous that all the zombie heads i collected were reset so guess im not doing that quest until playthrough 2

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally got Zombie Island yesterday and beat it in like two hours. Granted, I didn't do some of the sidequests because I was becoming overleveled very quickly(lots of enemies), but this was way shorter than I thought it was gonna be. I also didn't come away with any cool weapons, not that this is always a given or anything.

The atmosphere was pretty cool and I enjoyed the new enemies, even if most of them were sort of reskinned versions of normal enemies.

I hope Secret Armory isn't quite so short, cuz I'm not sure I'm happy about spending the money on Zombie Island. At least I've got a raised level cap, so thats nice regardless.

bj00rn_

Banned
My g... A billion Claptrap parts isn't enough for "Patricia Tannis", what hell?? (Claptrap's New Robot Revolution) I paid 800 points for this DLC! Come the hell on!

Zombie Island and General Knoxx were great, but this shit I just can't take..

I think I'm finally done with Borderlands. It's been great until this though.

Seanspeed said:
Finally got Zombie Island yesterday and beat it in like two hours. Granted, I didn't do some of the sidequests because I was becoming overleveled very quickly(lots of enemies), but this was way shorter than I thought it was gonna be. I also didn't come away with any cool weapons, not that this is always a given or anything.

The atmosphere was pretty cool and I enjoyed the new enemies, even if most of them were sort of reskinned versions of normal enemies.

I hope Secret Armory isn't quite so short, cuz I'm not sure I'm happy about spending the money on Zombie Island. At least I've got a raised level cap, so thats nice regardless.

Secret Armory is the only one you really need IMO.

Just rocks.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Uh... so can I not bring my SP character into MP?

It looks like it's forcing me to play a lvl 1. Wtf... there's no way I'm starting over.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Evolved1 said:

It looks like it's forcing me to play a lvl 1. Wtf... there's no way I'm starting over.

Press the change character button before going in. It defaults to the lvl 1 Soldier.

Evolved1 said:

No, when you get invited to a game there should be a "Choose Character" tab or something.

Evolved1

GuardianE said:
Press the change character button before going in. It defaults to the lvl 1 Soldier.

I did that... but my characters didn't come up. It was just the four generic classes.

I'll mess around with it. At least now I know I can bring in a character.

Rimfya

Banned
When do you get good guns?

I mean, all you hear about this game is how many guns there are. I've used the same shotgun and SMG for the last 10 hours because I've found nothing better. The rocket launchers are horrible (slow reload, accuracy and rocket travel time) and the combat rifles are just okay.

Every loot drop I ever find has significantly worse guns than what I'm carrying. Always. Every shop too.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I found the same too..there's a ton of loot in the game but it's utterly worthless. I figured the bosses dropped the good stuff, and the first two did, but the last few didn't even drop a weapon. I did however run across two orange gun drops from random enemies near the end but I guess that was just luck. Apparently you have to run through the game again or do the dlc for the really good weapons.

Chris R

Is "You. Will. Die." Only level 61? Aka no point in even trying it on playthrough 1? Just beat general knoxx tonight (pretty good, but with some major flaws) and saw the quest was marked 61 to my level 43 dude.

Also kinda wish I could just skip the story stuff and grind 2nd playthrough mobs that are my level instead of 10 levels below me :(

rhfb said:
Is "You. Will. Die." Only level 61? Aka no point in even trying it on playthrough 1? Just beat general knoxx tonight (pretty good, but with some major flaws) and saw the quest was marked 61 to my level 43 dude.

Also kinda wish I could just skip the story stuff and grind 2nd playthrough mobs that are my level instead of 10 levels below me :(

You have literally 0% chance to beat this quest at that level.

And just power through the story parts. You'll make up for the leveling at the end.

Or, just hop in someone's game with level-scaled mobs and go to work, but your guns probably won't do enough damage.

Chris R

Boombloxer said:
You have literally 0% chance to beat this quest at that level.

And just power through the story parts. You'll make up for the leveling at the end.

Or, just hop in someone's game with level-scaled mobs and go to work, but your guns probably won't do enough damage.
No internet so I can't just hop into someone's game :(

So the quest is only for the 2nd playthrough? If so then why even offer it during the first playthrough :<

And ya I'm using a new gun (FIRST NEW GUN IN LIKE 15 LEVELS!) that I found in the armory that basically kills the 2nd playthrough mobs in a single hit now, rushing through the story and not looting anything below blue. I just want to get to some harder enemies later on in the game :D

Evolved1

rhfb said:
No internet so I can't just hop into someone's game :(

So the quest is only for the 2nd playthrough? If so then why even offer it during the first playthrough :<

And ya I'm using a new gun (FIRST NEW GUN IN LIKE 15 LEVELS!) that I found in the armory that basically kills the 2nd playthrough mobs in a single hit now, rushing through the story and not looting anything below blue. I just want to get to some harder enemies later on in the game :D

I've noticed the color thing isn't always a great indicator of the effectiveness of weapons. I've actually found quite a few rare weapons (orange) but sold them because they weren't better than my current (lower color). I've found a coupe reg-white weapons that were sick... really have to look at the stats.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rimfya said:
When do you get good guns?

I mean, all you hear about this game is how many guns there are. I've used the same shotgun and SMG for the last 10 hours because I've found nothing better. The rocket launchers are horrible (slow reload, accuracy and rocket travel time) and the combat rifles are just okay.

Every loot drop I ever find has significantly worse guns than what I'm carrying. Always. Every shop too.

That's because it's random.

You'll start to get much better guns by the time you get to New Haven. Orange guns (darker shades of orange are rarer; exception being pealescent weapons if you've got DLC) are the rarest, but a lot of them are novelty guns. Often you'll find your most effective weapons being Purple.

Early on, it's hard to get good gear. Things generally open up at New Haven (both gear-wise, and game-wise).

Evolved1 said:
I've noticed the color thing isn't always a great indicator of the effectiveness of weapons. I've actually found quite a few rare weapons (orange) but sold them because they weren't better than my current (lower color). I've found a coupe reg-white weapons that were sick... really have to look at the stats.

Generally speaking, white weapons always suck by contrast. If they're better than your rarer weapons, it just means that they're at a higher level... and you're too high a level for your current guns (you've effectively outgrown them).

The most important indicator is the level of the gun, then the rarity (color of the name), then the composite parts (the game actually real time generates scope, grip, barrel, etc, etc, randomized with stats), then the material build (three different material types of varying qualities for each manufacturer... you'll notice that Dahl has gray, green, and brown SMGs with different prefix descriptors).

Rimfya

Banned
Got to the part where you rescue Tannis, Crimson Lance dudes drop guns like they're going out of business.

Turns out this game also does the oh-so-frustrating thing of leading you to believe you're only one mission away from the end ... for the last 2 hours of the game. Stayed up all night trying to finish it, got so frustrated with how it was being drawn out and went to bed. Can't stand that in games.

Evolved1

Will someone explain the flashing multiplier when you're looking at the gun's damage stats... I mean... I thought I understood but then I read the wiki and now I'm completely confused.

I can figure out DPS, I just don't know what the multiplier is... why it's there.

Evolved1 said:
Will someone explain the flashing multiplier when you're looking at the gun's damage stats... I mean... I thought I understood but then I read the wiki and now I'm completely confused.

I can figure out DPS, I just don't know what the multiplier is... why it's there.
I think its damage multiplied by that number? I thought it was that way. :/

Evolved1

SixStringPsycho said:
I think its damage multiplied by that number? I thought it was that way. :/

That's what it works out to for approx. DPS (which I guess is all you really need to know) but the wiki says some bullshit about the # of projectiles or something... really confusing.

benjipwns

Banned
The damage is how much each projectile/bullet does. The multiplier tells you how many projectiles/bullets are fired with each trigger pull.

So if you have a shotgun that says 56/x7 for example, each pellet does 56 damage but you fire seven of them at once. So if you hit with all the pellets you do 392 damage to the enemy. (Assuming no other modifiers/skills/etc. of course.)

The shotguns don't fire bullets, they explode shells which propel out pellets. Which is why you basically only ever see that modifier on shotguns or special guns (mostly revolvers)/launchers that fire two or three bullets/rockets with one pull.

Evolved1

benjipwns said:
The damage is how much each projectile/bullet does. The multiplier tells you how many projectiles/bullets are fired with each trigger pull.

So if you have a shotgun that says 56/x7 for example, each pellet does 56 damage but you fire seven of them at once. So if you hit with all the pellets you do 392 damage to the enemy. (Assuming no other modifiers/skills/etc. of course.)

Oh... thanks dude.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Rimfya said:
Got to the part where you rescue Tannis, Crimson Lance dudes drop guns like they're going out of business.

Turns out this game also does the oh-so-frustrating thing of leading you to believe you're only one mission away from the end ... for the last 2 hours of the game. Stayed up all night trying to finish it, got so frustrated with how it was being drawn out and went to bed. Can't stand that in games.

Haha you can totally just run down all those corridors and skip everything at the end. Well..solo I dunno. Beat the game last night as well and my partner and I just ran down, revived eachother, ran down till we got to the transition. There's really nothing but random mobs.

Last boss was..unoriginal..but with infinite respawns it really doesn't matter. Decent game but not quite sure I get why it gets all the love it does.

Sciz

Evolved1 said:

The x# that flashes back and forth with the damage value is the number of bullets fired per shot. edit: bah, beaten hard.

Rimfya

Banned
Finished! Here's Borderlands narrative, from start to finish, in its entirety.

There's a thing called The Vault. You find The Vault.

I have to imagine that's the depths the story was explored at the Gearbox studios. I can imagine that being written on a whiteboard and nothing written under it.

Had a level 49 after 2 runs when i sold the game last time, bought the GOTY version yesterday and i forgot how good it is, currently level 13 Berserker (previous class was a hunter) im enjoying the berserk rage more than i predicted. Trying to stay clear of the solider class because it feels like the most obviously choice of class.

Found a nice burning sniper x3 fire so thats suiting me pretty well.

benjipwns

Banned
Rimfya said:
Finished! Here's Borderlands narrative, from start to finish, in its entirety.

There's a thing called The Vault. You find The Vault.

I have to imagine that's the depths the story was explored at the Gearbox studios. I can imagine that being written on a whiteboard and nothing written under it.
There was a lot of Pandora backstory that got shelved because it basically interfered with the loot during testing. And if you go back and read the Game Informer preview or others from way back it's clear they scaled the entire scope of the world back at least twice.

There's the Tannis arc, and the Haven arc. A bit of the Kobb's. Tannis' is the one that all of the arcs should have looked like, and even it wasn't perfect because of the audio quirks, and cutting out the backstory under-served the history of Pandora which adds a lot of character to the world.

I felt the game actually under-executes the story it offers. There are plenty of story hooks that the gameplay never lives up to. But then I also think Metroid Prime is one of the great console storytellers.

Rimfya

Banned
benjipwns said:
There was a lot of Pandora backstory that got shelved because it basically interfered with the loot during testing. And if you go back and read the Game Informer preview or others from way back it's clear they scaled the entire scope of the world back at least twice.

There's the Tannis arc, and the Haven arc. A bit of the Kobb's. Tannis' is the one that all of the arcs should have looked like, and even it wasn't perfect because of the audio quirks, and cutting out the backstory under-served the history of Pandora which adds a lot of character to the world.

I felt the game actually under-executes the story it offers. There are plenty of story hooks that the gameplay never lives up to. But then I also think Metroid Prime is one of the great console storytellers.
Yeah almost everything seems inferred, not literal. I've always liked the Gears universe, even though the games gave you so very little to go on. I feel like I could like the Borderland universe but you're given almost nothing to go on.

Doesn't surprise me that they sacrificed almost everything for the loot and art style. Strikes me as 1990s game story telling quality though.

Lastly, I hate ambiguity masked as mystery. The girl at the end is all like 'you will not go unrewarded'. I think I'm supposed to wonder 'WHAT DOES THAT MEAN WOW?' but instead I think 'Are you kidding me?'.

chemicals

Seanspeed said:

I bought Zombie Island two nights ago, and I've been playing the hell out of it (I just got new guns and I was off work yesterday so I played pretty much all day and night and I'm only a few quests into this thing. Very much enjoying headpopping zombies by the dozen with my elephant gun. I can't stop! It's already worth the 10 bucks in my opinion.

Seanspeed

Banned
Still not happy about Zombie Island, but General Knoxx is awesome. Its extremely big, extremely difficult and has lots of new enemies so far. Only complaint is there's no fast travel within the DLC(that I've come across yet at least). Getting to some of the places requires a LOT of effort against tough enemies and doing it over and over kinda sucks.

Seanspeed said:
Still not happy about Zombie Island, but General Knoxx is awesome. Its extremely big, extremely difficult and has lots of new enemies so far. Only complaint is there's no fast travel within the DLC(that I've come across yet at least). Getting to some of the places requires a LOT of effort against tough enemies and doing it over and over kinda sucks.
Just hop in a vehicle and drive past them, no need to stop and fight usually.

Amon37

The fact there is no fast travel or catch a ride in claptrap or zombie dlc is ridiculous. The environments are way bigger than say rust Commons and they have at least 2 fast travel points and catch a rides

Evolved1

Dude this game is really starting to click for me lately... I played it for a while (20 some levels, messing around with the different characters) but took a huge break (months) because it was boring.

But since picking it back up... something about it is really working for me and I'm totally engrossed while playing. I get messages to come join friends for BC2, and while I accept, I do so begrudgingly. Don't want to put this down. I'm finding dark/light orange weapons like they're falling off trees!

Chris R

Is Claptrap DLC worth it? Steam sale is Borderlands again, so I'm wondering if I should drop the $2.50 for the only other DLC that interests me (Zed and Moxy don't sound interesting at all).

Raide

rhfb said:
Is Claptrap DLC worth it? Steam sale is Borderlands again, so I'm wondering if I should drop the $2.50 for the only other DLC that interests me (Zed and Moxy don't sound interesting at all).

More levels, more stuff and shooting claptraps in the face? Yup, well worth it!

Zed is a fun change of pace from the normal stuff.

Make sure you get everything apart from Moxxi.

Raide

rhfb said:
Well I caved and bought it. If I get 2 hours out of it I guess it will be worth it. Just hope the download isn't too large :(

After the Patch, you need the Claptrap DLC to actually get the full level cap. There is a good chunk of content in there for you to enjoy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Captain Tuttle said:
Just hop in a vehicle and drive past them, no need to stop and fight usually.
You cant drive past it all, though. There's a part where you have to go through about 5-10 minutes of on-foot fighting just to get to the next area.

And you cant escape all the enemies on the road, either. They follow you and can deal good damage. I'm level 54 right now, but still have to be very wary of dying.

Its actually getting kind of annoying. Takes me about 15-20 minutes just to get to where the mission locations are and the enemies are tough. I'm sticking with it, but I'm trying to level a bit to make the constant repetitive trips easier.

Seanspeed said:
You cant drive past it all, though. There's a part where you have to go through about 5-10 minutes of on-foot fighting just to get to the next area.

And you cant escape all the enemies on the road, either. They follow you and can deal good damage. I'm level 54 right now, but still have to be very wary of dying.

Its actually getting kind of annoying. Takes me about 15-20 minutes just to get to where the mission locations are and the enemies are tough. I'm sticking with it, but I'm trying to level a bit to make the constant repetitive trips easier.

Yah, General Knoxx is otherwise the best by far, don't know what they were thinking with this. I wish somebody could make a mod that would just add a travel point on each 'side' of the DLC. It would be so much less obnoxious.

Top Bottom