• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-vs-Victor-Ortiz.jpg

The card:

TV lineup for the split-site HBO PPV card on Saturday night (9 ET) from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and Staples Center in Los Angeles:

• Welterweights: Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs), 12 rounds, for Ortiz's WBC title

• Junior middleweights: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs) vs. Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2, 12 KOs), 12 rounds, for Alvarez's title (from Los Angeles)

• Junior welterweights: Erik Morales (51-7, 35 KOs) vs. Pablo Cesar Cano (22-0-1, 17 KOs), 12 rounds, for a vacant title

• Junior welterweights: Jessie Vargas (16-0, 9 KOs) vs. Josesito Lopez (29-3, 17 KOs), 10 rounds

Hype: It's undefeated Pretty Boy Floyd Money Mayweather, one of the last two major draws in the sport of boxing, and he hasn't fought in 16 months, along with this only being his third fight since beating Ricky Hatton almost four years ago. Mayweather is now 34 years old, 10 years the elder of 24 year old Ortiz.

Ortiz has the hot hand, upsetting previously undefeated Andre Berto to win the WBC Welterweight title. Ortiz is not an old man who was far past his prime in Mosely, nor a fighter fighting above his comfortable weight limit in Marquez. Despite being a heavy 5 to 1 underdog, Ortiz packs power from a southpaw stance with 22 of his 29 wins coming by KO. He's not Pacquaio, but no one is, but he's the next best opponent.

Prediction: Everyone expects business as usual for Mayweather, and the drums to keep beating for the Pacquaio-Mayweather showdown. But this isn't a way past his prime Shane Mosely or Oscar De La Hoya, a fighter fighting above his comfortable weight class in Juan Manuel Marquez, or a paper champion in Ricky Hatton. Ortiz is a legit fighter in the WW division with the WBC belt and packs power, is 10 years younger, and most importantly hasn't been sitting on his ass for the past 16 months. He also has the unheard of accomplishment of knocking down every fighter he's faced.

This is reminiscent to a similar situation in 2003. Roy Jones Jr was considered an unbeatable fighter and heavily favored to defeat Antonio Tarver for a second time. Tarver put an end to Roy Jones Jr and his unbeatable legacy with a second round knockout.

I'm making the bold, bold prediction that little known, heavy dog Victor Ortiz does the same thing and shocks the world with a 9th round KO of Money Mayweather and does the much needed job of turning the sport of boxing on it's head.

My gut tells me that Ortiz is too aggressive and PBF makes him look foolish like he so often does with his superior quickness and defense. Honestly though, for some reason an upset wouldn't surprise me. At some point these long layoffs have to take their toll on Floyd as he gets older and older, don't they?

I can assume one thing for the fight, turtle defense by Floyd , a lot, zzzzzzzzzzzz, then at the end he'll go crazy when Ortiz is tired.

gonna be a good fight though. I'll be watching

a 9th round ko of floyd? really? it's one thing to predict he'll lose, but to say that a man (a man who has only been "knocked" down once in his career) will get knocked out, is really going out on a limb.

The M.O.B said:
Money by UD

Its the most likely outcome.

Agreed. I can see Ortiz getting stopped though if he tries to jump forward and throw that left hook too many times. Floyd will see that coming a mile off and slam a check hook into his jaw.

Soi-Fong said:
Hey look... It's Mayweather, the pussy boxer who's too afraid to face Pacquiao. lol

Hey looks, it's Pacquiao, the guy who is afraid to take blood tests, and who's representatives sent Mayweather's people shady ass emails during the negotiations requesting that "if" Pac tested positive for PEDs they'd agree to keep it quiet.

Purexed

Banned
Money May by 9th round knockout. Ortiz is Hatton 2.0 and he has already had his chin exposed in his last two fights.

I'm still trippin that this bitch is gonna cost me $70. Fucking ridiculous, but at least the undercard is decent.

Mastadon

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Hey looks, it's Pacquiao, the guy who is afraid to take blood tests, and who's representatives sent Mayweather's people shady ass emails during the negotiations requesting that "if" Pac tested positive for PEDs they'd agree to keep it quiet.

Is there any proof of this at all? Interesting that these e-mails have never been published huh?

Ninja Scooter said:

before this thread devolves into a bunch of irrelevant shit about why Pacquiao and Mayweather won't fight, i'll say this: I wish Pacquiao would take the random tests, he used to be my favorite boxer until I read and saw his reactions to the demand; which were damn near an admission of guilt. It's really frustrating to see Pacquiao not even get question because of the bias people have against Mayweather, and I wish the public could disregard Mayweather for a second and really apply pressure on Pacquiao to take the tests.

computers putin' said:
before this thread devolves into a bunch of irrelevant shit about why Pacquiao and Mayweather won't fight, i'll say this: I wish Pacquiao would take the random tests, he used to be my favorite boxer until I read and saw his reactions to the demand; which were damn near an admission of guilt. It's really frustrating to see Pacquiao not even get question because of the bias people have against Mayweather, and I wish the public could disregard Mayweather for a second and really apply pressure on Pacquiao to take the tests.

I honestly just want to see the fight happen, but I think people are either naive or in denial if they really think it's just one side's fault that the fight ain't happening. It's ego and greed that is preventing us from getting a fight.

Ninja Scooter said:
I honestly just want to see the fight happen, but I think people are either naive or in denial if they really think it's just one side's fault that the fight ain't happening. It's ego and greed that is preventing us from getting a fight.
This. This two fools don't understand how much the sport of boxing needs a match like this.

Ninja Scooter said:

There have been so many spin jobs coming from both sides that I don't know who to blame really lol. I guess I'm a bit different from most other boxing fans though, as I like both Pacquiao and Mayweather though ( I respect greatness and both seem like good people, Mayweather's heel act aside ) and I don't really feel the need to shift the blame on one side or another.

Why they won't fight is one thing, but at this point I feel the drug test's are the bigger issue. It hurts to think that a boxer I used to respect so much could be a cheater, and after Shane getting caught, I'd thought the public would be a bit more sensitive to the issue. I just wan't to have my doubts put to rest is all.

HYPEHYPEHYPE

posting in legendary boxing thread.

The whole fucking card is going to be sick, don't be the dipshits that pay $70 and miss the 3 awesome matchups in the undercard. This is gonna be a barnburner of a card even if the main event disappoints.

Also, bold prediction time: ORTIZ WILL WIN

Shearie

polyh3dron said:
The whole fucking card is going to be sick, don't be the dipshits that pay $70 and miss the 3 awesome matchups in the undercard.

I'm gonna be paying 10 bucks to watch all 4 fights at a local bar.

Amagon

I'm hoping I't still awake and coherent when this fight happens tonight. (Lack of sleep all week) But I expect Mayweather to win.
Fuck money!
At least the undercards getting alotta hyped so yay! for that.

Blackface

Banned
Floyd has already gotten his ass completely destroyed by Castillo. Although the fight was obviously fixed, and Floyd got the win

stats2.jpg

stats.jpg

I am hoping Ortiz does the same. He probably won't though.

Buckethead said:
That poster is balls.

Hopefully the fight will not.
Fight posters have been absolute crap for a while now. Pbf by late stoppage or ud. Ortiz hasn't got a chance and if he still has that quit in him, Floyd will find it.

harSon

Banned
Soi-Fong said:
Hey look... It's Mayweather, the pussy boxer who's too afraid to face Pacquiao. lol

Pacquiao demands that Mayweather take a ridiculous penalty per pound that he comes in overweight. Mayweather obliges.

Pacquiao wants thinner gloves, something that benefits Pacquiao. Mayweather obliges.

Pacquiao asks for a smaller ring, something that would limit Mayweather's mobility, something that hinders Mayweather and benefits Pacquiao. Mayweather obliges.

Mayweather asks for drug testing. Pacquiao first claims to be afraid of needles. Then he says that needles so close to a fight drains him, until being called out on his BS by some 24/7 footage showing him taking a blood test closer to a fight than Mayweather wanted.

Pacquiao camp counters with a 30 day cut off for blood testing before the fight. Mayweather camp offers 24 days, Pacquiao refuses. Mayweather is angry that Pacquiao refuses to concede anything so he lowers his blood testing cut off date and states that if Pacquiao wants to fight him, all he has to do is accept those terms. Pacquiao camp asks for the 24 day cut off, and then accuse Mayweather of dodging when he refuses to agree to old terms that he already said he would not agree to.

That's basically how the negotiations went. How people can say it was Mayweather that was the fight dodger, I'll never understand (actually, I do. People are unwilling to leave their hate at the door.)

smurfx

get some go again
70 fucking dollars? are they out of their fucking minds? is this the most expensive boxing card ever?

DKehoe

As someone who isn't into boxing but wants to try to be (I'm a big MMA fan) I will give this fight a shot.

jchap

Lamont Peterson, after getting rocked early, schooled Ortiz just 2 fights ago. Mayweather is going to dismantle him. Ortiz has no chance whatsoever.

As for Alvarez, my only criticism is that he was gifted that belt and since has fought a string of nobodies. They are being very protective of him which is fine, but don't give him a fraudulent world title belt if you want him to only fight tomato cans.

Baby Milo

polyh3dron said:
Also, bold prediction time: ORTIZ WILL WIN
you make a bold prediction for every card for every combat sport

overcast said:
Can't we just accept they are both pretty fucking ridiculous in their demands? Drop it, and talk about this fight.
hell yeah some blood and urine being taking is definately above and beyond

....when your cheating

Baby Milo

jchap said:
Lamont Peterson, after getting rocked early, schooled Ortiz just 2 fights ago. Mayweather is going to dismantle him. Ortiz has no chance whatsoever.
yeah after watching the nate campbell and lamont peterson fights i just have a hard time seeing ortiz being able to apply pressure and trouble floyd. no jab,head movement,leaky defense.it's gonna be a long night unless he lands something big or floyd has lost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom