• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz |OT| 9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackface

Banned
harSon said:
Let's discount 99.9% of his career and focus on a single fight. Maybe you missed the part where I said that Ortiz gave no indications with his performance that he'd buck the trend. He was hitting Money's shoulder blades, arms or swinging at air, and getting popped by Money on a consistent basis, like everyone else (except 1 fight?!?!?!) he's fought.

It wasn't just one fight. This has happened in a number of fights for Floyd. Especially early in his career. I understand you are new to boxing, but what happened with Castillo isn't an exclusive case.

That said. Floyd is a great boxer. Not top 10 all time, by any stretch, but the best in a long long time. Just like Manny.

This is why we need to see Floyd vs Manny. Whoever thought Ortiz stood a change was fooling themselves, or fell for the 24/7 hype.

There is only one person that can beat Floyd and thats Manny. The rest is pointless because boxing does not have the talent pool it did 20 years ago.

Ninja Scooter said:
Ortiz fucked up because he expected the fighters to do what all fighters do nowadays after a round or fight is restarted, touch gloves, whisper sweet nothings to each other, then take a step back and get into their fighting stance. Floyd took some initiative. Like I said, he was a poor sport, but Ortiz had already thrown that out the window with his headbutt so I can't get too mad for that, but he didn't do anything illegal.

Yes he did. Should have been a DQ.

harSon

Banned
Blackface said:
It wasn't just one fight. This has happened in a number of fights for Floyd. Especially early in his career. I understand you are new to boxing, but what happened with Castillo isn't an exclusive case.

That said. Floyd is a great boxer. Not top 10 all time, by any stretch, but the best in a long long time. Just like Manny.

This is why we need to see Floyd vs Manny. Whoever thought Ortiz stood a change was fooling themselves, or fell for the 24/7 hype.

There is only one person that can beat Floyd and thats Manny. The rest is pointless because boxing does not have the talent pool it did 20 years ago.

You shouldn't make assumptions, it just makes you look like a retard. I was raised on boxing. Sweet Pea and Riddick Bowe were some of my favorite fighters growing up in the 90s.

TheNatural

My Member!
Amazing how many fans Floyd has, he seems like such a great guy:

Undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. was hit Thursday with three more felony charges in a domestic violence case that already had him facing a theft charge.

Clark County District Attorney David Roger significantly raised the ante in the case alleging that Mayweather hit and threatened the life of his ex-girlfriend, Josie Harris, and threatened to beat two of their children during a pre-dawn argument at the woman's home a week ago.

The new criminal complaint filed Thursday added two felony coercion and one felony robbery charge along with one misdemeanor domestic battery and three misdemeanor harassment charges.

Convictions on all eight charges would increase the possible penalty Mayweather could face if convicted of all charges to 34 years.

Police initially labeled the scuffle with Harris a domestic battery case after she told police Mayweather was angry about her relationship with another man when he confronted her at the Las Vegas home where Harris and the children live.

Mayweather wanted to evict her from the house, which he owns, Harris said.

The new charges name the couple's 10-year-old and 9-year-old sons as victims of coercion, for alleged threats to beat them if they called 911 or left the apartment during the scuffle.

Under Nevada law, coercion is when a person compels or forces someone to do something they have a legal right to do.

The harassment charges allege that Mayweather threatened Harris and the two children, and the battery charge alleges Mayweather grabbed Harris by her hair, hit her and twisted her arm.

Boggles my mind how many people are just like "huahuahua take that haters Floyd is awesome!" I respect his boxing ability, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to see this asshole win, and then defend him when we won't fight Pacquaio and continues to make bullshit excuses about it. Then again I guess there were a lot of Tyson fans back in the day too.

harSon

Banned
It's a sport, my opinions on athletes are purely based on their abilities within said sport and secondly their personas. It's similar to how I can still enjoy films directed by or starring people who are scum bags or douche bags in real life.

And as I said earlier in the thread, with examples (fact check them yourself), Manny was the biggest obstructor in the Mayweather/Manny fight.

smurfx said:
floyd can win a million fights and he will always be a boring ass fighter.

That just makes you a shit boxing fan. Similar to people who can't appreciate groundwork/grappling in MMA, and want nothing but striking. If you can't enjoy Mayweather's technical skills as a boxer, defender and counter puncher, then there's something wrong with you, not Mayweather.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
He wasn't DO'd when his cornermen ran into the ring against Judah (which should have been an automatic DQ). He wasn't getting DQ'd for that. Protect yourself at all times.....

Doesn't mean he can break the rules. He broke the rules, and the rules state that he should have been DQ'd when Ortiz didn't get up after the 10 count.

Yo Gotti

Banned
TheNatural said:

Boggles my mind how many people are just like "huahuahua take that haters Floyd is awesome!" I respect his boxing ability, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to see this asshole win, and then defend him when we won't fight Pacquaio and continues to make bullshit excuses about it. Then again I guess there were a lot of Tyson fans back in the day too.

Don't believe everything you read.

Especially when it's in regards to a personal situation that has nothing to do with you. You have your right to an opinion about the situation, but ultimately you know nothing.

Baby Milo

TheNatural said:

haha u mad

this shit has nothing to do with what happened int he ring tonight lol

SlipperySlope said:
Doesn't mean he can break the rules. He broke the rules, and the rules state that he should have been DQ'd when Ortiz didn't get up after the 10 count.

Ortiz stood in front of him without his guard up. The fight was on at this point, Cortez had restarted it.

Do people think I meant that Floyd was literally going to leave Ortiz in a coma? Jesus fucking christ. I meant that he was going to win the fight easily, and that it would be a significantly worst beating anything that could have happened tonight. I guess it was a bad figure of speech considering the sport, but god damn.

TheNatural said:
Based on what? He was hitting him all fight and not having any effect until the two free shots. And two clean shots to an unprotected guy and the guy was up 5 minutes later smiling about it. Maybe he could do that if he pulls a Margarito and some plaster of paris, Mayweather is not a KO artist though.

Floyd is actually a pretty slow starter. He doesn't lose early rounds, but he usually uses them to feel out his opponent, loosen them up a bit, than later he starts landing right leads. Tonight, we saw that he was landing lead rights, actually a bit earlier than usual. Yes Ortiz was pressuring, that's how he fights, but unless he was willing to change tactics later, or, he had some extraordinary amount of endurance that we've yet to see from him, it is safe to assume that he was already on the downward slope to a lopsided loss. Assuming that Floyd isn't over the hill, there really wasn't much in the way of victory for him tonight. For me, this fight looked like it was going to play out similar to most of Mayweather's fights of these last few years. De La Hoya being an anomaly, although this fight was at 154 and imo Floyd looked pretty uncomfortable at that weight.

Sure, you can say "Ortiz was going to land that ONE PUNCH for the KO", but if that's the argument than you could say that about damn near anyone and there isn't any point in discussing boxers as tacticians. Anyone can be caught but I don't think Floyd was going to get KO'ed by a hay maker, I don't think he was going to switch his tactics and let his guard down to satisfy the crowd, and I for damn sure don't think Ortiz is capable of keeping up with him for more than 6 or 7 rounds.

Ortiz getting up later and smiling doesn't mean anything at all, nothing. Most fighters eventually walk it off. Only in unique circumstances are men down for more than a minute or so. Are you saying that there is an argument for Ortiz because Floyds shots didn't leave him on the mat for 10 minutes? There are so many factors to a KO, his guard was down but that doesn't mean that he was going to automatically get RJJ'ed.

He's an extremely intelligent fighter, and those types of fighters tend to be more efficient in rematches than they are in the first fights. Floyds only rematched Castillo from what I know, and as was pointed out above, Floyd looked significantly better. (Although, he is said to have had a broken hand in the first fight so it's difficult to glean much from it.)

Let's not forget, a rematch probably wouldn't be 16 months after tonight. Floyd was out for over a year, he steps in and starts landing his best punch?

Ultimately, I just feel that a rematch would not be in Ortiz best interest (At least from a health perspective). Mayne he's a smarter fighter than we thought, or maybe his corner work saw a real weakness that they plan to exploit. But based on the evidence that we have, I feel that Floyd may disrupt the space-time continuum if they rematch!

Esch

Banned
smurfx said:
floyd can win a million fights and he will always be a boring ass fighter.
He was way more fun to watch at 130-135, but whatevs. Still good now, just in a different way.

Larry Merchant won the event.

Baby Milo

SlipperySlope said:
Vic threw a headbutt that could have gotten him dq'd and led to this incident. Why arent you crying about that?

Blackace said:
Really? That's your post? Really?
He swung at a dude that was hugging him in an apologetic matter, and took the result as a Win. What else is there to say? He's a fucking bitch.

"Bitch, how dare you apologize to me!" BAM
Yep, sounds fair.

EDIT: LOL @ the Merchant photoshop. Hilarious.

TheNatural said:
6157964388_d5b611f537.jpg

But Saturday would be the 16h. Oh and boxing, lol.

smurfx

get some go again
harSon said:
That just makes you a shit boxing fan. Similar to people who can't appreciate groundwork/grappling in MMA, and want nothing but striking. If you can't enjoy Mayweather's technical skills as a boxer, defender and counter puncher, then there's something wrong with you, not Mayweather.
no i can very much appreciate groundwork/grappling in mma. its when they don't actively try and finish fights is when i have a problem. you aren't some awesome boxing fan just because you support boring ass fighters. i don't claim to be the biggest boxing fan either. i like certain type of boxers and that is who i support.

TheNatural said:

Why are you bringing outside stuff into a sport? You're a hater plain & simple!!!

Accept your boy lost and go on with your life, its getting pitiful man.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Revolutionary said:
He swung at a dude that was hugging him in an apologetic matter, and took the result as a Win. What else is there to say? He's a fucking bitch.

Touched gloves and fought... The fight was going.. He even gave him chances to put his hands up and dude didn't

TheNatural

My Member!
harSon said:
It's a sport, my opinions on athletes are purely based on their abilities within said sport and secondly their personas. It's similar to how I can still enjoy films directed by or starring people who are scum bags or douche bags in real life.

And as I said earlier in the thread, with examples (fact check them yourself), Manny was the biggest obstructor in the Mayweather/Manny fight.

Who's the one asking for drug tests? Give me a break, Mayweather wants to cut hairs over days and change them up constantly, it's to get out of this fight. They tried to get this stuff done last year, Pacman was going to do his style of drug testing, Mayweather never responded.

It's just the CONSTANT shit that goes on with this guy, its always something, always someone elses fault, always this or that. Pacquaio is really cycling roids because he may not want blood to be taken a few days before a fight, really? Any times suggested by Pacquaio all throughout this thing where blood could have been taken were perfectly fine and reasonable. He's even sued Mayweather over this crap, and surprise surprise, he hasn't been bothered to show up for deposition in the civil suit yet. Shocker. You would think with the big mouth about Manny being on roids, he would back it in up in court, but once again, he backs out.

Too bad, some of you people couldn't care less about the sport of boxing itself - and long as Mayweather gets his headlines by any means necessary. Pretty fucking sad it's come to shit like tonight, with the headlines once again being taken over by this guy's antics. I'm just shocked anyone dares defend the things he constantly does, its not good for boxing, and you're cheering for it and him to keep doing this shit and defending it?

Good reason why Dana White is laughing his ass off on Twitter tonight, he knows UFC has boxing by the balls and this is yet another laughable sideshow antic of Mayweather to keep the great sport of boxing in the crapper. I've burned enough of my time tonight miffed at how people keep encouraging and defending his shit, I'm done, back to MMA discussion for me. It's just getting plain disgusting seeing what the sport of boxing has become nowadays, it's pretty damn sad.

Blackace said:
Touched gloves and fought... The fight was going.. He even gave him chances to put his hands up and dude didn't

Its even more funny that Ortiz would have never been put in that situation if he didn't throw that illegal headbutt.

He deserved everything that happened but the Floyd haters won't let it go.

Yo Gotti

Banned
smurfx said:
no i very much can appreciate groundwork/grappling in mma. its when they don't actively try and finish fights is when i have a problem. you aren't some awesome boxing fan just because you support boring ass fighters. i don't claim to be the biggest boxing fan either. i like a certain type of boxers and that is who i support.

Then you don't respect skill, if you just want to see boxers punching each other in the face and blood flying, then you're the same as someone who goes to the circus to see a performer get bitten by a tiger or fall of the tightrope. You're not respecting the skill these people have worked decades to achieve, you just want the thrills.

He may not have the most violent or energetic boxing style but Mayweather is an amazing boxer. It's unbelievable at times some of the shit he pulls out and his awareness of his opponent's speed and reach is pretty much unparalleled. Replay this fight and watch closely how many times he cleanly dodges Ortiz' blows by just a hair, gloves literally inches away from his face and he doesn't blink or stutter at all in his motions. It's rare to see that kind of control in a fighter period even in MMA.

That IMO is why Mayweather is such a spectacle to watch fight. If you're watching and waiting for blood and violent knockouts, you're watching the wrong fight.

Wow, what I fucking disgrace. I blame all of them. Ortiz for multiple headbutts (yes, there was more than one if you were actually watching), for going to apologise twice, especially the second time when he already apologised and should have his gloves up, PBF for throwing shots when Ortiz went to apologise, Joe Cortez for destroying another fight by looking away from the fucking ring. Then Ortiz for being all smiles. He got paid and really didn't care at all that he lost in that manner. From the moment he threw the last headbutt he looked like he was done trying. An finally PBF for trying to trying to avoid the subject and then crying like a little bitch at the end.

What an absolute disgrace.

Blackace said:
I'm sorry, but were we watching different video feeds or something? When did he give him a chance to put his hands up? Ortiz went in for the hug and .5 seconds later, he was getting punched in the face. Ortiz clearly went in for an apologetic hug, outside of a fighting stance, and Floyd went in for his "this is the biggest chance I'll get" knockout routine at the same exact moment.

There may (read: will) be some conjecture as to the reason he did so, but as far as I'm concerned, the reason he went all out is because Ortiz was giving him the biggest fight of his recent career. Dude barely even looked at him in his 24/7 faceoff HBO special - he was terrified.

But look, I really, really don't care about boxing (I'm more of a UFC guy, but even then it's not that serious), but from what I saw tonight and previous Mayweather fights: Floyd Mayweather is Bitch Supreme.

harSon

Banned
TheNatural said:
Who's the one asking for drug tests? Give me a break, Mayweather wants to cut hairs over days and change them up constantly, it's to get out of this fight. They tried to get this stuff done last year, Pacman was going to do his style of drug testing, Mayweather never responded.

It's just the CONSTANT shit that goes on with this guy, its always something, always someone elses fault, always this or that. Pacquaio is really cycling roids because he may not want blood to be taken a few days before a fight, really? Any times suggested by Pacquaio all throughout this thing where blood could have been taken were perfectly fine and reasonable. He's even sued Mayweather over this crap, and surprise surprise, he hasn't been bothered to show up for deposition in the civil suit yet. Shocker. You would think with the big mouth about Manny being on roids, he would back it in up in court, but once again, he backs out.

Too bad, some of you people couldn't care less about the sport of boxing itself - and long as Mayweather gets his headlines by any means necessary. Pretty fucking sad it's come to shit like tonight, with the headlines once again being taken over by this guy's antics. I'm just shocked anyone dares defend the things he constantly does, its not good for boxing, and you're cheering for it and him to keep doing this shit and defending it?

Good reason why Dana White is laughing his ass off on Twitter tonight, he knows UFC has boxing by the balls and this is yet another laughable sideshow antic of Mayweather to keep the great sport of boxing in the crapper. I've burned enough of my time tonight miffed at how people keep encouraging and defending his shit, I'm done, back to MMA discussion for me. It's just getting plain disgusting seeing what the sport of boxing has become nowadays, it's pretty damn sad.

From earlier in the thread:
harSon said:
Pacquiao demands that Mayweather take a ridiculous penalty per pound that he comes in overweight. Mayweather obliges.

Pacquiao wants thinner gloves, something that benefits Pacquiao. Mayweather obliges.

Pacquiao asks for a smaller ring, something that would limit Mayweather's mobility, something that hinders Mayweather and benefits Pacquiao. Mayweather obliges.

Mayweather asks for drug testing. Pacquiao first claims to be afraid of needles. Then he says that needles so close to a fight drains him, until being called out on his BS by some 24/7 footage showing him taking a blood test closer to a fight than Mayweather wanted.

Pacquiao camp counters with a 30 day cut off for blood testing before the fight. Mayweather camp offers 24 days, Pacquiao refuses. Mayweather is angry that Pacquiao refuses to concede anything so he lowers his blood testing cut off date and states that if Pacquiao wants to fight him, all he has to do is accept those terms. Pacquiao camp asks for the 24 day cut off, and then accuse Mayweather of dodging when he refuses to agree to old terms that he already said he would not agree to.

That's basically how the negotiations went. How people can say it was Mayweather that was the fight dodger, I'll never understand (actually, I do. People are unwilling to leave their hate at the door.)

Mayweather made one demand to Pacquiao's several, and was even willing to compromise on it, but Manny punked out and tried to frame Mayweather as the obstructor. At the very least, both fighters were responsible for the fight not happening.

JLG-

Jamesfrom818 said:
Who restarts a fight without looking at the fight?
Seriously. WTF was Joke Cortez doing. You stand between both fighters then you tell the time keeper to start then you get the fuck out the way and let them fight. Cortez was in his own little world.

smurfx

get some go again
Yo Gotti said:
Then you don't respect skill, if you just want to see boxers punching each other in the face and blood flying, then you're the same as someone who goes to the circus to see a performer get bitten by a tiger or fall of the tightrope. You're not respecting the skill these people have worked decades to achieve, you just want the thrills.

He may not have the most violent or energetic boxing style but Mayweather is an amazing boxer. It's unbelievable at times some of the shit he pulls out and his awareness of his opponent's speed and reach is pretty much unparalleled. Replay this fight and watch closely how many times he cleanly dodges Ortiz' blows by just a hair, gloves literally inches away from his face and he doesn't blink or stutter at all in his motions. It's rare to see that kind of control in a fighter period even in MMA.

That IMO is why Mayweather is such a spectacle to watch fight.
marquez is one of my favorite fighters and he is a counter puncher in the same way floyd is but they are very different. marquez tries to finish fights when he has the chance. go ahead and keep supporting floyd and fighters similar to him and be sure to proclaim how much bigger of a boxing fan you are like many of floyd fans do. i'll be here not caring.

Blackace

That Singer Guy... said:
Its even more funny that Ortiz would have never been put in that situation if he didn't throw that illegal headbutt.

He deserved everything that happened but the Floyd haters won't let it go.

Not just a headbutt but a blatant headbutt that was intended to harm him...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I didn't watch this fight but...who the hell goes in for a hug and kiss in the middle of a boxing match then doesn't protect themselves just in case your opponent is having none of it?

harSon

Banned
Revolutionary said:
I'm sorry, but were we watching different video feeds or something? When did he give him a chance to put his hands up? Ortiz went in for the hug and .5 seconds later, he was getting punched in the face. Ortiz clearly went in for an apologetic hug, outside of a fighting stance, and Floyd went in for his "this is the biggest chance I'll get" knockout routine at the same exact moment.

There may (read: will) be some conjecture as to the reason he did so, but as far as I'm concerned, the reason he went all out is because Ortiz was giving him the biggest fight of his recent career. Dude barely even looked at him in his 24/7 faceoff HBO special - he was terrified.

But look, I really, really don't care about boxing (I'm more of a UFC guy, but even then it's not that serious), but from what I saw tonight and previous Mayweather fights: Floyd Mayweather is Bitch Supreme.

You're an idiot.

Ortiz tapped gloves, and when Mayweather was obviously ready to box, Ortiz went in for a hug and then pulled away. If Ortiz's gloves weren't up at that point then that's on him. It's his job to be on alert at all times, not Mayweather's to wait for Ortiz to carry out his love the world tour.

And you obviously were watching a different fight if you can honestly say that Ortiz was giving him the biggest fight of his recent career. Even Mosley posed more of a threat to Mayweather, at least he staggered him. Ortiz didn't do shit.

Blackace

Revolutionary said:

Protect yourself at all times... A hug after trying to headbutt your way to victory? And Floyd is to blame? lol also Floyd was in his boxing stance ready to go.. Dude walks up and he hits him once and pauses then finished him off...

Zep

Banned
Kintaro said:
I didn't watch this fight but...who the hell goes in for a hug and kiss in the middle of a boxing match then doesn't protect themselves just in case your opponent is having none of it?

Sorry bro, like someone said earlier, "There is a code of combat!!" And PBF's cheapass broke it for putting his hands up and swinging when the ref continued the fight. Don't debate it, I'm correct.

/hater
sarcasm

harSon

Banned
smurfx said:
marquez is one of my favorite fighters and he is a counter puncher in the same way floyd is but they are very different. marquez tries to finish fights when he has the chance. go ahead and keep supporting floyd and fighters similar to him and be sure to proclaim how much bigger of a boxing fan you are like many of floyd fans do. i'll be here not caring.

Well, Mayweather doesn't care about his KO percentage. He wants the guaranteed win and it's honestly the smarter way to play. If you want to see an example of why you shouldn't go out of your way to finish off a fighter after staggering him, ask Berto how he felt after doing the same to Ortiz in their last fight.

You're making it sound like he clenches and jabs his way to a points victory.

Just got back from watching it.

Ortiz's head butt was bad but it was acknowledged by him and he was stripped of a point for it.

What Mayweather did was busch league and I like Floyd, but he lost points in my book tonight for that shit and the antics with Merchant that followed.

Mayweather was winning the fight, there was no need for him to go out like that.

harSon said:
You're an idiot.

Ortiz tapped gloves, and when Mayweather was obviously ready to box, Ortiz went in for a hug and then pulled away. If Ortiz's gloves weren't up at that point then that's on him. It's his job to be on alert at all times, not Mayweather's to wait for Ortiz to carry out his love the world tour.

And you obviously were watching a different fight if you can honestly say that Ortiz was giving him the biggest fight of his recent career. Even Mosley posed more of a threat to Mayweather, at least he staggered him. Ortiz didn't do shit.

Its clear he knows almost nothing about the sport of boxing. Stop quoting him so he'll quietly go back to the UFC thread and annoy them.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
EschatonDX said:
Compubox is the worst thing ever. It has a lot of flaws, and doesnt account for generalship or for effectiveness of punches.

Floyd had that in the bag tonight as well.

harSon said:
You're an idiot.

When the fuck did he touch gloves? It's a hug, not the usual "alright, game on" touching of gloves. You'd have to be the most delusional, full-of-himself retard to think of that as touching gloves.

I'll admit this form of apologizing probably doesn't adhere to the rules of boxing (god forbid you apologize in the beginning of a round), but christ, it was a fucking apology. To take advantage of any apology in any other manner or sport is inviting yourself to be called a fucking asshole. Oh wait, except in boxing because he's famous lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom