• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Just rented this from redbox. Jesus at 1 dollar this was a terrible idea. How do I do team deathmatch or something? Is there better guns? Why are the assault rifles so shitty? Watched the initial trailers and was kinda excited....this did not deserve that.

there isn't team deathmatch. I don't know what you watched that implied there was.

That said, how is the game faring these days? I traded it in a while back.

mrfolego

Banned
Seven new steam achievements were added yesterday and this afternoon I got a 13.6MB update

v59u2d.png

ibu

I take it the 360 community on this is pretty much dead?

I wouldn't mind a game or two sometime next week otherwise.

ibu said:
I take it the 360 community on this is pretty much dead?

I wouldn't mind a game or two sometime next week otherwise.

I borrowed this game today and tried playing online for about an hour and every game I got into was either full of bots or empty. No human players to be found. :(

The fragmentation from the game options is horrendous. They should include an option of "find most populated server."

Alas... too little, too late.

shuri

Banned
This game is one of the biggest disaster this generation. The game had so much potentiel but it was wrecked by crappy management probably.

Ahh, it's a shame.

ibu

Vampire Baseball said:
I borrowed this game today and tried playing online for about an hour and every game I got into was either full of bots or empty. No human players to be found. :(

I got the game on launch and pretty much finished the game within a week, there are still a few more achievements for me to get. But the main missions are done. I am holding onto it until the DLC hits, god knows when that is though, Splash Damage have been pretty quiet on that front. The game still could be great, if only they sort out the lag and somehow find a way to push it again.

walbertsmith said:
The fragmentation from the game options is horrendous. They should include an option of "find most populated server."

Alas... too little, too late.

Yes, this would be great. I would have thought they would have considered such an implementation, alas I do not know what their intentions are now for the series. A cracking art style, lots of work has gone into it... They really could improve on it's base and give us a cracking experience. But will they is the question, they seem to focus more on the pc user base than console right now.

Deadbeat

Banned
No matter what they do it will never be as good as their previous endeavors. Wolf ET was the best game they made and it came out in 2003. They couldnt do anything more than take that game and rehash it crappily. Quake wars is better than this game. Splash Damage is a one trick pony.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, is it really that bad? I thought about Gameflying it at some point, but it sounds pretty atrocious based on what I am reading.

Makoto

Wow, Brink is nowhere to be found on the Steam top games list. The lowest on the list is...the Altitude Demo with 226 players. Which means 226 or less players are playing Brink PC as I type this.

broham

There are at least two populated servers on pc at any given time for me. Hopefully the coming DLC brings people back, or new people in.

vidal said:
Which means 226 or less players are playing Brink PC as I type this.

This game doesn't have anything on Quake Wars. A year after its release and there were more people playing it than that. Brink has been out for less than 3 months, that's bad.

I still haven't played Brink. It was on my radar. I love Wolf ET and QW. I have a PS3 but there was no way I was playing this on a console. My comp is ancient so I planned to upgrade but then the reviews came in and I just took a wait and see attitude. Not really regretting it now.
It seems like this game gets no love.

teepo

are the players that are left at least competent because it seemed as the days piled up after its release, the player base had become increasingly more and more incapable of working as a team. not to mention how unbalanced the game was, though i still think its single greatest fault is that the game was entirely dependent on cooperation amongst teammates as sad as that sounds.

also bethesda are fucking retarded when it comes to pricing. the game hasn't been on sale for the pc since its release. i atleast expected it to had been on sale during the summer on steam. can management be any more incompetent? for awhile the game had some steam despite the negative reviews but they blew it. no many are willing to spend full price on a questionable product. there is a very good game under that pile of crap.

Did the free DLC ever arrive for Brink? For some perverse reason I want to download it just because it was promised to me.

Also, so what happens to Splash Damage now? Are they down and out because of Brink?

XeroSauce

Genesis Knight said:
Did the free DLC ever arrive for Brink? For some perverse reason I want to download it just because it was promised to me.

Also, so what happens to Splash Damage now? Are they down and out because of Brink?
I think it's still coming.

It makes me sad that I haven't bothered to play this game since the developers (SD) sound like they really want to make the game work, almost similar to Valve's mindset where the game is their child and not just a product.

But the game just sucks. There's a lot of imbalance, the guns sounds suck when they were supposed to be amazing..maybe I was overhyped but I'm really disappointed.

Deadbeat said:
The game sold quite well. A lot of people got burned on all 3 platforms.
Is there any news on the sales? I really want this to be true. So love SD guys and every game that they've ever made. But the problem with population is really a problem need to be solved, no doubt.

Uriah

broham said:
There are at least two populated servers on pc at any given time for me. Hopefully the coming DLC brings people back, or new people in.

The DLC so is only going to be free for a short time, so when they start to charge for it the game will die again.

"Which means 226 or less players are playing Brink PC as I type this."

You just can't release an MP focused game with broken MP. It will die, immediately. Add to that the ATi problems, effectively pissing off 50% of the userbase....

Splash Damage did try to fix it ASAP, but it wasn't fast enough.

Grayman

Uriah said:
The DLC so is only going to be free for a short time, so when they start to charge for it the game will die again.
i thought it was free to keep for anyone who downloaded it during the period. it is stupid idea either way though.

Uriah

Grayman said:
i thought it was free to keep for anyone who downloaded it during the period. it is stupid idea either way though.

You're right. That's what I meant to say. Sorry if it came out wrong.

Ramirez

You can't release a game on Xbox Live without a party feature, a game so focused on team work, but no easy way to group up with your friends and get matched against another team. Baffling really...

I loved the game, but with the lag and lack of basic features found in games that are 10 years old, doesn't leave you much choice but to move on.

Deadbeat said:
The game sold quite well. A lot of people got burned on all 3 platforms.

This is one of the most depressing things about this generation. A game that markets itself as the multiplayer revolution and has the audacity to have a shoddy online but still sells well? Just ridiculous. Gears of War 2 was nigh unplayable at launch and it sold even better (over 5 million sales if i'm not mistaken). I'll have to go over to my friends house to see if they have even fixed the online in gears 2 yet

I was mildly interested as I love parkour mechanics in any games let alone shooters, but everything about the game seemed a little bit too good to be true. Sure enough, it turned out to be jank. I don't particularly like it when companies tank and customers get burned, but there really needs to be a bit more discretion used nowadays.

Shoogoo

It's weird how the 2 games I regret buying this gen are both from SD.

I do a minimum of research (like a lot of people here) before buying a game, and somehow I'm always hyped when SD releases a game.

Mechazawa

Teknopathetic said:
"Which means 226 or less players are playing Brink PC as I type this."

You just can't release an MP focused game with broken MP. It will die, immediately. Add to that the ATi problems, effectively pissing off 50% of the userbase....

Splash Damage did try to fix it ASAP, but it wasn't fast enough.

Or in the case of a lot of ATI users like myself, didn't fix it at all.

I don't understand what the problem with the SD games you find, guys. Both Brink and Quake Wars are such a greate titles. There not too much games in this generation which I enjoyed as much as Brink, honestly.
Maybe the real "problem" with Brink is that most of us cannot into strict teamplay? Or you mixng up Brink with CoD-esque FPS where the word TEAM means only TDM mode?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is such a trainwreck...

"AAA or bust" my ass.. well, the game wasn't AAA for sure.

The_Player said:
I don't understand what the problem with the SD games you find, guys. Both Brink and Quake Wars are such a greate titles. There not too much games in this generation which I enjoyed as much as Brink, honestly.
Maybe the real "problem" with Brink is that most of us cannot into strict teamplay? Or you mixng up Brink with CoD-esque FPS where the word TEAM means only TDM mode?

The problem with Brink was that it was completely impossible to find a multiplayer game populated entirely by people without bots (on the 360). Completely impossible; I never got that to happen even once. Playing with bots gets really old really fast.

The gameplay was great. The matchmaking on 360 was a steaming pile of garbage. I sold it back not long after reaching max level because comp-stomps weren't fun anymore.

The_Player said:

You're right, as someone who has only played Team Fortress 2 for 1500 hours, with my second most played class being Medic, what do I know about teamplay?

Shoogoo

The_Player said:

I'm not sure you're being serious, but I'll answer anyway.

I think we're past that point. Do you think there are only ~250 players on PC and a few (I don't know how many, can only get in servers full of bots so I guess not many) on 360 playing this game because it is not COD? What the fuck? There are so many things that broke and buried this game that your statement makes no sense.

Ramirez

The_Player said:

wat

divisionbyzorro said:
The problem with Brink was that it was completely impossible to find a multiplayer game populated entirely by people without bots (on the 360).
Almost the same thing on PC. The reason I dropped Brink.

jaundicejuice said:
Team Fortress 2
jaundicejuice said:
Divided by zero. I hope you wont say anything regarded clan wars and such. But that's not the case. I don't know what the problem you guys find with Brink and to be honest I don't want to , or my butt will be on fire.

Uriah

The_Player said:
Almost the same thing on PC. The reason I dropped Brink.

Divided by zero. I hope you wont say anything regarded clan wars and such. But that's not the case. I don't know what the problem you guys find with Brink and to be honest I don't want to , or my butt will be on fire.

I'll bite. The game was buggy at launch, had no mod support, few maps, and the operative class was not as useful as the other classes unless completing an objective. The game is definitely fun, but for a multilayer focused title these issues are inexcusable.

Oh, to be sure the game launched with an number of balance issues. Carb-9, Seagle, the fact that Operatives and Heavies were useless, Mediums were only slightly less than useless, etc. But we could forgive balance issues and wait for patches if the we could actually play the damn game!

I got really hyped for this game, and got really burned. I made myself grind out the last couple of levels just so that I could say I maxed out, and then almost immediately sold it back. Good riddance I say. Next time don't launch a broken game.

The strange thing is that I totally agree with the problem you mentioned above, guys. But can't say that it might be adequate cause to drop from the game for me. Maybe I'm just such a huge fan of SD.

Shoogoo

The_Player said:
The strange thing is that I totally agree with the problem you mentioned above, guys. But can't say that it might be adequate cause to drop from the game for me. Maybe I'm just such a huge fan of SD.

Most of us want to love the game. I REALLY tried, but after a while it felt like the game was constantly spitting at my face and said 'fuck you'.

Of all the times I tried to play with a friend on 360, we managed to get maybe twice in the same team. It's fucking pathetic and there are absolutely no excuses to release that kind of shit in 2011.

Shoogoo said:
Most of us want to love the game. I REALLY tried, but after a while it felt like the game was constantly spitting at my face and said 'fuck you'.

Of all the times I tried to play with a friend on 360, we managed to get maybe twice in the same team. It's fucking pathetic and there are absolutely no excuses to release that kind of shit in 2011.
As a member of superior master race I can't say that I fully understand you, but yeah, there not too many people left.

soultron

Banned
Shoogoo said:
I was so hyped. I spent the first two weeks trying to get games going. They worked fast on getting a decent fix out, but it essentially made the online worse on consoles because you couldn't get into a proper Freeplay game with more than 7 other human players.

The bots were useless. They ruined the game, IMO. If SD wasn't so keen on keeping the game "drop-in, drop-out" with teams populated by bots, it might not've had half of the problems it did from the start.

Also, forcing squads/fireteams upon people for regular team chat in certain modes was such a backwards decision for consoles. That might work on PC... but damn, it was terrible for console players. Most people didn't even know how to use the squad feature.

By the third week, IIRC, the community on 360 was absolutely dead.

It's a shame because I still love the universe and fiction of the game. On paper, it was an incredible game. When you had a fully populated server with people who actually knew how to play their class well, it was like a dream come true. This didn't happen enough, unfortunately. I lost hope and sold it within the month.

Metal-Geo

To be entirely honest, I enjoyed the living fuck out of this game in the first 2 weeks of release. Basically the point when everybody's still a total noob. The game was amazing then. In the weekend, I played for a few hours straight through the night. Because I was fucking hooked. The game was incredibly refreshing for me. It had a certain charm that I find hard to explain.

After those 2 weeks, things just went downhill fast. People found out the CARB-9 and that other SMG were incredibly powerful. At that point, the entire 'teamwork' structure of the game fell the fuck apart. This was the point when people basically woke up and realize the sentries were shitting horrible; heavies were incredibly useless; SMART was buggy and sturrery as all hell; all maps containing terrible chokepoints; and all weapons but the formely mentioned ones were a waste of time. But worst of all, people realized SD and/or Bethesda just didn't give a flying ass about the game anymore.

BRINK had so much potential, it literally makes me angry whenever I think about it. For once there was a game with a 'world' and 'story' that was so interesting that you couldn't help but ask for more backstory.

Weirdest of all, this game looked way more amazing in 2009. (Take a look at the Container City and Terminal videos) BRINK had a much better atmosphere. Way grittier and 'darker'. And the sound was definitely better as well. The game looked to be in a pretty sharp state, bar the bots. And it just makes me wonder if in the 2 years between those videos and the final release they just worked on 6 more maps. :/

Top Bottom