• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Pumpkins

Darkshier said:
I always laugh when I think about the "day 1" patch for the game that supposedly mitigated those issues. I shudder to think what Brink looked like before that patch.

Not much different from what it looked like after.

derFeef

AlmostMilk said:
Exactly. This was the only thing that could have redeemed this game but it was just the same old crap again.
So the new tools/unlocks are not worth it? they look and sound fun.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
AlmostMilk said:
Exactly. This was the only thing that could have redeemed this game but it was just the same old crap again.

Can you say, exactly, what was wrong with it? The new tools are badly implemented? Unbalancing? The new maps' flow is bad? The new weapons are unbalancing?

Please, elaborate.

Zimbardo

just tried the dlc for a short time on pc ...seems that the dlc maps are locked @ 30fps ...while the old maps are 60fps?

weird shit. these guys never seem to get things right the first time around. man.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Picked this up on PS3 with Amazon credit when it was DOTD for $19.99. There are a few really good ideas in here - I'd love to be able to switch classes at a particular area in Killzone 3. I think this game could have used a conventional single player game though. Even playing "online" campaign it is still mostly bots, and the AI rarely does what it should be doing in terms of the most critical objectives. I'll see what the DLC adds for PS3 when it is available.

Ourobolus

Banned
Downloading now. A little apprehensive, but we'll see what happens...tomorrow.

EDIT: Booted it up for the hell of it. I see the new skills, but where are the new maps? I don't see them listed.

Alright, finished the two maps on the two sides, got to level 21 and purchased the new medic ability...its field is ridiculously small. What a waste of a point, but at least I got the achievement associated with it.

I'll get to level 24 and purchase every new ability just to get the achievements then I'll sell everything and then pick some cool abilities instead.

Sanic

Got a chance to play Founder's Tower. Seems like a nice map, but man... some of these gameplay issues are bugging me way more than they did when the game came out.

Firebrand

Hah. Added the DLC and downloaded the game again, but I can't join any servers with the new maps. I assume they're the ones showing up as blank under "Map" in the server browser.

Played a little Resort instead. I had kinda forgotten how floaty this game feels. And the lock-on when trying to buff someone is so incredibly disorienting. Had some fun with the game at launch, but I don't think I want to play this again.

Sanic

The DLC maps should have their name appear in the server browser. I just sorted by map name and found plenty of servers running the dlc.

360 version is much improved.

+ Lag is gone, I can finally appreciate the game and play tactically
+ Matches are mostly humans
+ New Bayonet attachment is massively powerful, very fun
+ Bullet Shield attachment is questionably useful but pretty neat
+ Weapon tweaks feel good, pistols are fun again and the light rifles are powerful.
+ New maps are a welcome change

This game should have gotten pushed back to August 3rd release date and everything would have been fine. I assume Bethesda was responsible for pushing it to shelves completely broken, so "Fuck you". Sucks to be Splash Damage, although I guess they failed to deliver the product in working condition on time so it's their fault to some extent.

BOTTOM LINE: Pick it up one one of the many sales going on and you won't be disappointed.

Zimbardo

the game is still pretty bad.

still has an unpolished feel to it. doubt i'll ever buy something from splash damage again. terrible work here after all the hype.

Reikon

I'm getting the blank map names for the DLC too. Whenever I try to join a server it just immediately cancels. I don't really want to redownload the game to see if it'll fix it. :\

Breaking news! Console kiddies cannot into teamplay! And now to something completely different. Clop you, my love to this game is much stronger than your hate!

250px-MLP_tolerate_and_love-(n1298853924898)-(n1301128566283)-(n1305752004146).png

Pumpkins

The_Player said:
Breaking news! Console kiddies cannot into teamplay! And now to something completely different. Clop you, my love to this game is much stronger than your hate!

Did you play the console version? It's really messy.

Genesis Knight said:
360 version is much improved.

+ Lag is gone, I can finally appreciate the game and play tactically
+ Matches are mostly humans
+ New Bayonet attachment is massively powerful, very fun
+ Bullet Shield attachment is questionably useful but pretty neat
+ Weapon tweaks feel good, pistols are fun again and the light rifles are powerful.
+ New maps are a welcome change

This game should have gotten pushed back to August 3rd release date and everything would have been fine. I assume Bethesda was responsible for pushing it to shelves completely broken, so "Fuck you". Sucks to be Splash Damage, although I guess they failed to deliver the product in working condition on time so it's their fault to some extent.

BOTTOM LINE: Pick it up one one of the many sales going on and you won't be disappointed.

Wasn't this game delayed 12-18 months? What else do you expect Bethesda to do?

Pumpkins said:
Did you play the console version? It's really messy.
Nah, I played the superior one and no technical problems found whatsoever. There also enough of men to play with. Yet the game has some balance (and other) issues, they're not a close to be a problem to me.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Da1nonly J said:
Wasn't this game delayed 12-18 months? What else do you expect Bethesda to do?

Better release date timing and a more polished product would have helped the game. Of course with Call of Duty map packs coming out seemingly every six weeks there probably isn't a good time to release a shooter these days.

Can you unlock/purchase every ability on one character or does a level cap kick in that stops giving out points?

Grayman

I just best option I had for a server and it started having horrible packet loss. Too bad. I was having some fun with my Ritchie.

Bru

I must admit that I still play Brink on both 360/Steam and love it. Maybe it's an EU thing but I never have a problem finding a match with 16 human players (especially since the horrible lag on the console versions has been fixed).

Brink should never have been released in the state it was, that fact alone (coupled with ID Tech 4 on console) doomed it to the bargain bins. However, the game as it is now is a highly playable team shooter IMO with some great mechanics that allow it to stand out from the crowd.

Teknoman

Bru said:
I must admit that I still play Brink on both 360/Steam and love it. Maybe it's an EU thing but I never have a problem playing a match with 16 human opponents (especially since the horrible lag on the console versions has been fixed).

Brink should never have been released in the state it was, that fact alone (coupled with ID Tech 4 on console) doomed it to the bargain bins. However, the game as it is now is a highly playable team shooter IMO with some great mechanics that allow it to stand out from the crowd.

Which is why it needs some kinda free weekend to get people to check it out.

Bru

Teknoman said:
Which is why it needs some kinda free weekend to get people to check it out.

Definitely.

A free weekend on Steam is just what Brink needs and an updated demo on consoles if it's even posible. We can only hope Splash Damage and Bethesda realise this too!

noah111

Still Alive
Ok I am looking to buy this on PC but I would like to know, is it worth it just offline? Can I even play it offline or access anything without internet? I would play local LAN games but that's about it.

Is there login bullshit like Crysis 2 or what? Thanks in advanced.

DarkKyo

To be honest it's actually a pretty fun game(just tried it for the first time)..

I still don't know what I'm doing but the shooting and navigating are pretty cool. My only complaints are that it's a bit clunky- I wish it was faster paced... and the lag could be tightened up a bit but I've heard that from a lot of people.

Dakota47

It feels like RTCW with 2011 skins and interface. Which could have been a good thing if it weren't so sluggish and clunky. Not my cuppa.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For some reason, my Fraps meter is borked when I'm playing this. It says it's holding at 60 but it's clearly running at 25-30fps. It doesn't look good enough to get away with running so poorly.

I'm sure that's been mentioned a billion times already, but I think I'll pass on the sale.

The new medic skill is utterly utterly useless =/ The radius is far to small and that's if you actually get it deployed without dying, as it takes far to long to deploy.

Natty1

Snuggler said:
For some reason, my Fraps meter is borked when I'm playing this. It says it's holding at 60 but it's clearly running at 25-30fps. It doesn't look good enough to get away with running so poorly.

I'm sure that's been mentioned a billion times already, but I think I'll pass on the sale.

I noticed the same thing. It's detailed here. Basically if you join an online server you should see the correct uncapped framerate.

Bumhead

Banned
Just given this a go taking advantage of the free weekend.

First impressions are pretty much "meh". Everything feels rather bland to me. I don't think the weapons are punchy enough. There's something pretty sluggish about the movement despite the SMART system. There's some really weird dips in frame rates and general performance at really weird times. The maps are pretty soulless and the couple of maps I tried were really, really bad for choke points. Graphics are generally pretty flat.

The SMART system is nice though and I liked the character creation and menu's. They were fine. Pity I didn't reckon much to the game behind it all.

Can't say I had an awful lot of fun with the game unfortunately, but will give it another shot over the next 2 days of freeness. Can't see me favouring this at £15 over Team Fortress 2 or any of the other shooters I play, though.

Top Bottom