• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley starts a game dev studio: Wildflower Interactive. They're hiring.

Bartski

Gold Member
It seems so simple and obvious, but that’s really what it’s all about. Let’s enjoy our work and appreciate the people we get to work with. And let’s try to advance our industry in the process. Starting something new means we get to change the way things are done - with the games we make, the culture we grow, and processes we use for both.

We’re making ‘small-ish,’ creatively-charged, uniquely-stylized games that explore the possibilities of our medium. And we’re building a small, open-hearted team of creators that want to improve their skills and still lead a good life outside of work. People that want to hone their craft, have a say in the process, feel respected for their contributions, and be a part of the evolution of this awesome medium.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I'll not be keeping an eye on this one.

I'll be keeping an eye on you two

Suspicious Side Eye GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm convinced it was Bruce that made last of us part one the amazing story it was after Druckmans happy sequel.

Really looking forward to what they come up with and will also be keeping an eye on them lol

And that statement, is very telling of where he came from.
And Amy is probably what made Uncharted more light hearted and fun. Like an Indy Jones or a Romancing the Stone.

This is the most homogenized passive-aggressive job description to court the blue-hair waffle crowd I've seen this year.

I don't want my boss the be my "friend", forced to play mandatory ping pong during my break, or share my life outside of work. Lets see if a good game ever gets produced with this type of job culture.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Uncharted is awesome but Lost Legacy was also great and that wasn’t Amy.
Wasn’t Druckmann either though, he seems incredibly dark, read somewhere that he wanted to kill off Elena but Bruce stopped him.
While great, it still had a more serious tone than the campy fun 80s action flicks. But yeah, if true, thank fuck.

Last edited:
Bruce Straley has a good rep from his days with Naughty Dog, but...

We’re making ‘small-ish,’ creatively-charged, uniquely-stylized games that explore the possibilities of our medium. And we’re building a small, open-hearted team of creators that want to improve their skills and still lead a good life outside of work. People that want to hone their craft, have a say in the process, feel respected for their contributions, and be a part of the evolution of this awesome medium.

Can someone please translate all this garbage into plain English for me, please?

Uncharted is awesome but Lost Legacy was also great and that wasn’t Amy.
Wasn’t Druckmann either though, he seems incredibly dark, read somewhere that he wanted to kill off Elena but Bruce stopped him.
Druckmann seems like he's very disturbed tbh. He then projects his own problems onto the evil, nebulous "gamers", and acts like we are all the problem. He's an insane person.

Fbh

Nice, looking forward to what he does.
Since they say they'll be making "small-ish" games I hope it means we get something from them in less than 7-8 years.

Druckmann seems like he's very disturbed tbh. He then projects his own problems onto the evil, nebulous "gamers", and acts like we are all the problem. He's an insane person.

Not sure if disturbed.
He just comes across as one of these "auteur" kinda dudes who wants to tell serious stories and feels too good to work on silly lighthearted adventures like Uncharted. It's why most of his games have darker tone, bad pacing and put story above everything else.

Seems super obvious from the rest of what they wrote what the issues are.
  • Zero work/life balance
  • Games are too big and expensive
  • No one has a say in what's made except Druckman
Well now that he's the President that's certainly the case. Let's just hope that more projects like Lost Legacy get green-lit by him. That game was more enjoyable to me than Uncharted 4 and I don't think he had much involvement in it. To me it felt closer to Uncharted 2 than Uncharted 4. Regardless, I'm really excited to see what Bruce and Wildflower come up with.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Actually it was mostly Neil who created the story and characters of the first game whereas Bruce was in charge of gameplay.

"There's a lot of overlap in what we do" being the key here. We know Bruce stopped Neil from killing Elena, so I like to think something about the collaboration between the two made last of us 1 special and Bruce's lack of input in the second is potentially what made the game not land as well with me personally.

Fredrik

I wouldn’t go that far, from my perspective the whole AAA segment of the hobby is dark these days, but Druckmann is clearly on the darker side or the spectrum. Hard to say why.

Woggleman

Bruce was the one who was in charge of the gameplay in TLOU1 and most people agree that TLOU2 is a step up in that department. Both games are his baby.

Anyways yeah he is dark but there is nothing wrong with that. TLOU is set in a dark universe so his brands works for the series.

theHFIC

Lost me with that dumb "we're doing a thing" that morons like to say when they are trying to sound fun.

Despite the stupid baby speak, I'll be cool with Sony acquiring them in a few years.

HTK

Banned
I haven’t played TLOU2 yet but I’ve played TLOU1 and all of the Uncharted games.

I try not to get too much into weeds but making Triple A games is hard and making them successful is even harder. Sure Uncharted games have had ups and downs Uncharted 2 being my favorite, but they were still pretty good games overall when you look at the landscape.

The teams in that space are huge and I commend both of them for making some of these games. Will keep an eye on both of their upcoming projects.

HYDE

Banned
Nice, looking forward to what he does.
Since they say they'll be making "small-ish" games I hope it means we get something from them in less than 7-8 years.

Not sure if disturbed.
He just comes across as one of these "auteur" kinda dudes who wants to tell serious stories and feels too good to work on silly lighthearted adventures like Uncharted. It's why most of his games have darker tone, bad pacing and put story above everything else.
This is a perfect description for this hombre.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well Uncharted 4 was from Druckman. I liked it a lot. You should get over tlou 2...it is one game...

Uncharted 4 was boring as shit, it's the only Uncharted I've played only once...the rest are some of my favourites. Uncharted 1 is better than 4 and you can feel how much they were getting their feet with that game.

Now, lost legacy, that's the best playstation 4 Uncharted and better than 4 by a mile!

A2una1

Uncharted 4 was boring as shit, it's the only Uncharted I've played only once...the rest are some of my favourites. Uncharted 1 is better than 4 and you can feel how much they were getting their feet with that game.

Now, lost legacy, that's the best playstation 4 Uncharted and better than 4 by a mile!
Uncharted 1 is better than Uncharted 4? Ok man...speak for yourself ;)

Top Bottom