• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer confirmed for X-MEN: APOCALYPSE; first plot/character details emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Since this is going to be the last of a trilogy, where it goes next is wide open. Totally new actors, completely different focus. Anybody's guess.

Yeah, there are a number of things Fox could do. If I had to guess, I think they'd use the whole "new timeline" thing happening between DoFP and Apocalypse and do a Star Trek-esque reboot. It's technically within the same universe as the previous films, but an alternate reality/dimension/whatever. This leaves them free to recast the main bunch, but (if they have to) occasionally bring in one of the old dogs for a quick cameo or whatever.

Hopefully they're watching how Sony utterly botched their Spider-Man franchise with a sloppy reboot and are looking for ways to actively avoid that. Fox have had to dig this franchise out of the gutter once already, and the X-Men are flying high once again. They probably don't want to squander the good will the X-films have regained thanks to DoFP (and to a lesser extent, The Wolverine).

pel1300

I hope we get one more film with the original cast before they get too old. I don't understand why they are going to the 80s for Apocalypse, it makes no sense for me. There is no tension because we know all of the X-men live until 2023.

I wish X-men Apocalypse were to take place in the future. damnit.

Have some sort of portal to an alternate dimension open up at the end of Apocalypse

Follow one of the X-Men into that dimension.

Door closes behind that X-Man, we now have a Star Trek-esque reboot option in play. You can recast everyone, reorganize the rosters, do whatever you want.

Which will probably be X-Force or whatever.

Busty

Banned
Interestingly some DOFP adverts running in the UK now have 'Hugh Jackman' above the title implying that it's a Jackman starring vehicle rather than a large Avengers esque (for want of a better example) ensemble.

It wasn't like this upon it's cinema release..., was it?

Lawrence will probably get the fuck right out of there, partly because she already looks plenty bored in the actual movies, but I'm sure between finishing 5 years of X-Men and Hunger Games she'll be relieved at clearing her plate of blockbusters for a while.

I agree about McAvoy, he does seem to enjoy the role and had said during the DOFP press junket that he has fun making the movies and doesn't feel obligated about signing up for multiple sequels.

Fassbender could probably go either way, but he seems to like it, especially when acting opposite McAvoy, and since it's the only major franchise he has he might stick with it just to keep paying for his artier McQueen, Malick, etc. films.

Yup, I'd agree with that. However I could also see Fox wanting to skip giving McAvoy and Fassbender a big Hugh Jackman sized deal to reprise their roles and instead moving 'sideways' with spin off characters like Deadpool and Gambit.

I hope we get one more film with the original cast before they get too old. I don't understand why they are going to the 80s for Apocalypse, it makes no sense for me. There is no tension because we know all of the X-men live until 2023.

I wish X-men Apocalypse were to take place in the future. damnit.

I just watched dofp again an hour ago. So blessed

But yeah the last lines of the film come from McAvoy pretty much say "you make enough ripples and you can change the tide"

Basically saying that the ending with hugh jackman at the school can easily be altered by any upcoming events

dankir

Just watched DoFP today pretty great film. Although I do hope that there's a battle scene where everybody is working together a la Avengers.

If they are taking on Apocalypse then it'll be great to see the X men working together all to fight him at once.

Also Colossus wtf homey, step your game up, you are such a jobber.

Hindle

Banned
Assuming Channing Tatum signs on as Gambit, then I think he will replace Wolverine as the leader of the Xmen. I think Apocalypse will be the last we see of Hugh Jackman for a while.

Wazzy

Banned
Assuming Channing Tatum signs on as Gambit, then I think he will replace Wolverine as the leader of the Xmen. I think Apocalypse will be the last we see of Hugh Jackman for a while.
I doubt he'll become a leader. Maybe they'll finally decide to write Cyclops properly and give him a bigger role. Marsden would be great with different writing and costume.

I just hope Channing does Gambit justice.

Shaanyboi

Banned

He's already signed on to do another Wolverine solo movie. And besides, no way is Gambit a leader.

next wolverine movie is definitely jackman's last for sure. xmen apocalypse for the singer/jackman farewell and then wolverine 2 for the last of him.

i think they'll lead future movies with new cyclops. channing tatum will be a great gambit but he's gonna be a side-role.

Blader

Have there been any rumors on where the last [wolverine] movie might go?

Old Man Logan has been tossed around a couple times, but not sure how serious they are about it.

Wouldn't be a very faithful adaptation anyway (which is probably for the better :lol), but I like the idea myself of an Unforgiven-esque farewell for Jackman's last Wolverine movie.

Tatum seems like a likable guy, but I do not have much faith in him trying to do a southern/cajun accent and being the leader of anything.

I think he'd make a better Cable than Gambit, honestly. Aside from his build not being right, I just think he's more of a grizzled tough guy character than a mysterious seductive Cajun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom