• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Devs Say Atmosphere Is ‘Soul-Crushing’ Amid Layoffs, Cuts, and Fear of Total Sony Takeover - IGN

"DEI clubs were hit hard"

donald-glover-good.gif
bhxXCdk.gif

Hero_Select

"Employees in one department recalled a post-layoffs Q&A session where a department head was asked if leadership taking salary cuts to prevent layoffs had been considered, only to respond that Bungie was “not that type of company.”"

I'm surprised by everyone here seemingly taking Sonys side.. but then again this isn't Bungies first rodeo.. regardless this is a shitty way of treating your employees.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fucking hell, some of you here must live life real hard in the dumps and have the worst fucking jobs ever. I hope you never have the opportunity to manage people or take on a role in leadership because some of the takes are terrible.

These benefits and perks make up a lot of what makes it worth working for a company. At the end of the day, it's about making money, enjoying what you do and being happy in the job. If Bungie start taking away all that stuff, it's going to have a negative impact and morale is going to drop. It's not rocket science and this industry is in a state where working for AAA companies is awful.

Have a bit of compassion people, even if Destiny 2 is shit and Bungie aren't the same company now.
Well there are two things here, one is that Destiny 2 massively underperformed in 2023, and the things they are talking about here are luxury perks that come from a stable, high-performing company which Bungie arguably is not at the moment. So on some level the employees have to expect this, but I know many millenials and zoomers simply do not understand expect the corporation to be their new mommy, after college and their actual mommy.

Second, every company right now is dealing with inflation which is still a problem no matter what the government and media say. Every company is looking hard at expenses to manage them right now. So you have a bad year and a bad economic environment, and on top of that, possibly a forever-changed environment where Destiny is not the draw it was in 2021 or 2017.

"Employees in one department recalled a post-layoffs Q&A session where a department head was asked if leadership taking salary cuts to prevent layoffs had been considered, only to respond that Bungie was “not that type of company.”"

I'm surprised by everyone here seemingly taking Sonys side.. but then again this isn't Bungies first rodeo.. regardless this is a whitty way of treating your employees.
I'm going to sound like a management shill here, but nobody does salary cuts except in very rare instances. First, I don't know how Bungie pays their leadership but it is quite likely that more of their compensation is performance-based so that's baked in. Second, Countless studies have shown they're just a terrible idea and you're better off just getting rid of the person. It just leads to disgruntled employees who usually end up leaving the firm and they can wreak havoc in the meantime. When salary cuts are done it's usually at the very very top, like a CEO level, and it's performative. In the grand scheme of things it's not that much money and doesn't change the overall structural issues that led to the performance gap.

Like the widely cited on game forums example of Iwata's pay cut around Wii U, yea it looked great and got him good PR (which is why I am talking about it a decade later), but it didn't actualy turn around the company or signal some new start, what turned around the company was fixing their issues and releasing a product people wanted.

Last edited:

mitch1971

If you are going to release bare minimum dlc and start chopping up the features into seperate chargable chunks of content, delete paid for content, leave parts of the content untouched for years, then what do they expect? The writing on the wall was obvious years ago which is why I gave up on it. The bullshit the game has become is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Bungie isn't what it used to be and hasn't been for awhile.
It just seems like the passion isn't there anymore and it's only about money. Plus Destiny is pretty shit.

If PlayStation does take control then I won't feel bad. Bungie has flip flopped from company to company over and over. They decide they want independence and then just jump in bed with people again. Repeat process. First Microsoft (which was understandable and same with why they would want independence from said company) but then they did it again with Activision, and I'm sure it would happen with Sony as well.

LordCBH

The upper management at this studio has been horrible for a while. We’ve had several examples of them outright ignoring developers who’ve suggested and begged for actual fixes to the games problems.

JaksGhost

I'm surprised by everyone here seemingly taking Sonys side.. but then again this isn't Bungies first rodeo.. regardless this is a shitty way of treating your employees.
The cuts were done by Bungie's leadership without influence from Sony. Again where is Sony at fault for Bungie's leadership being terrible? They wanted independence and Sony has been hands off but look where that has got them again.

Hopefully, Sony will prevent them from releasing their future games on Xbox, just like what Spencer did with Bethesda.
This is the first thing I assume will happen after the takeover, but I doubt they'll do that for Marathon as it will need all the help it can get as a major GaaS game.

Alebrije

Sorry for the people working at Bungie but the bubble has imploded, they company is now on a financial trouble and when this happens changes occurs, specially on benefits that are not an industry standart.

This is the result of years of mistakes, and pretty workers knew this Will happen , it was just a question of time...so of You were working on Bungie and knew the only product was crap why no look for a new job before the snowball crash.

Also think we are just at the tip of the iceberg , Big changes Will come.

Bond007

Destiny 2 has been milked to long. Alot of non player friendly practices- no respect for player time or effort.
We should already be balls deep in Destiny 3 or getting ready to be.

Embearded

They should start cutting the high management salaries and bonuses before firing people. Period.

What i said about MS - Activision also applies here.
In this industry a publisher should not have different rules for their studios unless they earned that through multiple successful releases (ND).
We know about the frustration Kojimas "blank check" created back in 2016 for Sony. Multiple studios complained as they were under Sony studios umbrella for years and they didn't get such high budgets or even passion projects greenlight.
Sony must step in and take control, but i fear their GaaS inexperience could be damaging.

NickFire

People allegedly feel their souls are crushed because the company is "reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly".

This explains a lot to people who went to college before they were turned into adult day care and indoctrination centers.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They should be forced to make exclusive PS5 games. Stop watering down your product by developing for multiple platforms, you can barely even function. Focus on games for 1 platform.

If Im Sony I mandate that shit tomorrow.

People allegedly feel their souls are crushed because the company is "reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly".

This explains a lot to people who went to college before they were turned into adult day care and indoctrination centers.
Or ya know... it' s the hiring freeze, elimination of holiday bonuses, reduced travel budgets, removal of annual employee compensation adjustments to meet market rates, and a reduction in employee performance bonuses. But sure. Knitting is what they are worried about.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They are just pissed because half the payments Sony are contractually obligated to make are contingent for the staff from sticking around for a fixed term post-acquisition. So they can't bail without taking a massive hit personally.

ProtoByte

No doubt IGN's sources are the divas from the last "exposé" they did on Bungie.

Maybe if they spent less time knitting and regurgitating DEI slop in a corporate circlejerk sesh and more time making a half decent product they wouldn't be in this position.

It cannot be overstated - Bungie was 1200-1400 full-time employees strong before these ~100 layoffs. Most of if not the plurality of those people being from departments like legal, HR and community management. People who don't have much to do with making the game.

Hopefully management across the board in the industry recognizes that they've allowed too many mentally ill and emotionally underdeveloped whiners into their companies.

CuNi

This industry really needs a crash about right now.
Make most studios crash and burn, so there is more room for good devs to fill the stage again.
Obviously not all, but most big studios run on old IPs and name alone without having produced anything meaningful since forever.

NickFire

Or ya know... it' s the hiring freeze, elimination of holiday bonuses, reduced travel budgets, removal of annual employee compensation adjustments to meet market rates, and a reduction in employee performance bonuses. But sure. Knitting is what they are worried about.
Oh, I get that's not the only reason their souls are crushed.

But I also stand by what I wrote.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No doubt IGN's sources are the divas from the last "exposé" they did on Bungie.

Maybe if they spent less time knitting and regurgitating DEI slop in a corporate circlejerk sesh and more time making a half decent product they wouldn't be in this position.

It cannot be overstated - Bungie was 1200-1400 full-time employees strong before these ~100 layoffs. Most of if not the plurality of those people being from departments like legal, HR and community management. People who don't have much to do with making the game.

Hopefully management across the board in the industry recognizes that they've allowed too many mentally ill and emotionally underdeveloped whiners into their companies.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Bungie is done for. It will never be the same or like it was. Maybe 5-10 years from now. They come back and be glory again. Or they be a shell of them self’s.

Dutchy

If you are going to release bare minimum dlc and start chopping up the features into seperate chargable chunks of content, delete paid for content, leave parts of the content untouched for years, then what do they expect? The writing on the wall was obvious years ago which is why I gave up on it. The bullshit the game has become is embarrassing.
First and only poster in this thread who actually seems to know and has even played the game.

I agree with you. I'm longing most to replay old (and deleted) strikes, gambit maps, exotic missions and destination-tied activities such as Escalation Protocol and The Menagerie. Sunsetting was their biggest mistake and it all started getting worse from there. In exchange we got the most formulaic game ever. Every season you know exactly what you're getting, and when. No more twists or surprises.

calistan

A complete Sony takeover does not equal job security. Sony is certainly not shy about doing layoffs or shutting down studios.
That’s right, Sony getting rid of the board and taking full control would be like the company being placed into administration. There probably wouldn’t be much left of it afterwards.

Sanepar

Sony made a big mistake buying Bungie. No sinergy, Bungie need to be sold to MS to recover part of the loss. It doesn't make sense to have a crap like that.

tmlDan

That’s right, Sony getting rid of the board and taking full control would be like the company being placed into administration. There probably wouldn’t be much left of it afterwards.
This may be shocking to you but the CEO, who does not make games, is not the reason Bungie is successful. From the looks of it its the reason their monetary practices are ruining them and making them look bad.

Getting rid of them may be a good thing.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Sounds like Bungie leadership is poisoning the well with their own staff while being abrasive to Sony. And are now seemingly trying to put this all on Sony and with the "press". What a bunch of entitled assholes.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Multiple current employees confirmed to IGN that the company has implemented numerous other cost-cutting measures recently, including a studio-wide hiring freeze, reduced travel budgets, elimination of holiday bonuses, keeping its annual Bungie Day virtual, delaying its weeklong company “Pentathalon” event to next December, and reducing numerous morale events such as cooking and knitting classes from monthly to quarterly. Bungie is also pausing or fully ending benefits like annual employee compensation adjustments to meet market rates, its new hire lunch program, employee donation matching, its peer recognition program, and gift cards for employees birthdays. And yearly studio performance bonuses this year will only be the contractually obligated 80% minimum, after being above 100% for good performance several previous years running.
Fuck.. I can clear picture a 20 year old, gender neutral, with his not so long hair tied in a samurai style, beard and glasses, with a colorfull scarf around his neck on a hot day, pants that end well above his shoes, drinking latte with soy milk, named Star or Ocean giving this interview and complaining about having to work without his/her knitting classes

Biggest small violin moment ever.. so here you go Ocean Star.. this is for you

wOWTdbF.gif

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

This may be shocking to you but the CEO, who does not make games, is not the reason Bungie is successful. From the looks of it its the reason their monetary practices are ruining them and making them look bad.

Getting rid of them may be a good thing.
They are selling a single dance emote for 10$ in Destiny and single weapon/ghost skins for 8$. One set of armor ornaments costs 20$.

No surprise their revenue is down and the management is to blame for that, they got really greedy.

Bungie management has been a trainwreck pretty much forever TBH. It's a miracle the Halo games turned out as good as they did.

That said, it seems things are really unraveling now. I'll be a bit surprised if Bungie still exists in a few years.

Oh and also, DEI cult members being booted is nothing but good news.

Last edited:
Fucking hell, some of you here must live life real hard in the dumps and have the worst fucking jobs ever. I hope you never have the opportunity to manage people or take on a role in leadership because some of the takes are terrible.

These benefits and perks make up a lot of what makes it worth working for a company. At the end of the day, it's about making money, enjoying what you do and being happy in the job. If Bungie start taking away all that stuff, it's going to have a negative impact and morale is going to drop. It's not rocket science and this industry is in a state where working for AAA companies is awful.

Have a bit of compassion people, even if Destiny 2 is shit and Bungie aren't the same company now.

Virtue signaling horseshit!!!

Bungie workers aren't there to enjoy free lunches. They're there to work and deliver quality gaming experiences. Sony paid a cool $3.5bln for the company to do that. They've been failing on that.

Company benefits are nice-to-have perks you can enjoy in good times when there's money coming in. Bungie's finances have been really bad... like studio-jeopardizing-bad. So it stands to reason that they have to cut costs.

It's prudent business administration to cut unnecessary costs when business is slow. Those things can and are often reinstated when business picks up again. But until then, the onus on the workforce is to knuckle down and deliver. Maybe had Bungie leadership focused on doing just that instead of engaging in self-indulgent corporate DE&I fanfare, then they wouldn't have been in this mess in the first place.

Top Bottom