• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 was the peak for Racing games

Fast & focused. The fucking Sense of speed. Impact Time. Satisfying wreck carnage. Tight design & no open world dilution.

I often dream of a Remaster or another Burnout in this vein. ForzaH, NFS & most other "modern" racers can't even come close to scratching this itch.

A shining gem of a game. Back when racing had fucking spirit & soul..

3a0xjtz.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Fast & focused. The fucking Sense of speed. Impact Time. Satisfying wreck carnage. Tight design & no open world dilution.

I often dream of a Remaster or another Burnout in this vein. ForzaH, NFS & most other "modern" racers can't even come close to scratching this itch.

3a0xjtz.jpg

Approval Agree GIF

Last edited:

midnightAI

3a0xjtz.jpg
Well, it was the best of the Burnout games, I agree, the switch to open world killed it for me.

King Dazzar

I never felt the Burnout games quite got to the same sublime level of handling as the Ridge Racer games in their prime. But yeah, what ever happened to Burnout. I liked the early ones. But never got on with Paradise, that everyone else raved about.

CuNi

Finally a thread I can agree with.
I wish we'd get more Burnout games that are more like the older ones instead of Paradise etc.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The combination of racing at breakneck speed and vicious takedowns was immensely satisfying. It was my favorite game on the original Xbox. It's crazy that we haven't seen any classic Burnout games since 2007.

And no matter how good Burnout Paradise was, it was a betrayal of everything Burnout stood for.

RAIDEN1

That's why for all the benefits of having a state of the art PS5/Xbox etc, their catalogues have a big VOID of not having anything like the Burnouts or Ridge Racers of modern times...

Rudius

For me it's the second best of all time, losing only to Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, PS2 version.

Rudius

That's why for all the benefits of having a state of the art PS5/Xbox etc, their catalogues have a big VOID of not having anything like the Burnouts or Ridge Racers of modern times...
PS2 was the peak of gaming. Too bad it didn't happen now that we have VR.

El Muerto

It was a fun game to play with friends too. We were always passing the controller to see who could get a better score.

willothedog

There is no definitive winner in arcade racers as each has something different to offer. Project Gotham series,
split/second, blur, burnouts and Forza Horizons are still games I play regularly.

pepodmc_

talking about burnout, i like burnout dominator the most.

The burnout chain mechanic was very fun.

About the best arcade racing games, split second, daytona usa 2, nfs underground 2, outrun 2, midnight club 3 dub edition remix, burnout dominator.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I loved this and then the next one was even better. Paradise was such a fucking let down. I don't know why they don't remaster these. I'd love to play the crash levels with my oldest.

manfestival

Still to this day Burnout 3 is my favorite racing game of all time. Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 was also up there but I know it isnt to the level of quality of some other games that even were around for that time.

Really let down by Paradise. I remember Revenge being pretty good but not as good as 3.

Neon Xenon

Don't know if I could reliably call Burnout 3 the peak of racing games, but it is definitely very high among the best of them.
You rarely, if ever, see that level of polish now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom