• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 was the peak for Racing games

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Forza 4 for sim

* Sim-cade, but yeah it's GOAT tier. Forza Motorsport 4 and Gran Turismo 4.

I've played FM4 today on my old and dusty 360. I have it on my PC and it plays great on Xenia. I had to tweak some files and it took like 45 minutes to set up properly but it was worth it.

Shakka43

Liked BO3 and the PSP ones a lot but Paradise is by far my favorite. For linear arcade racers the Motorstorm series has my vote as the most fun.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Burnout 3 was such a wonderful game that I really adored. Easily the best arcade racer ever made. However, I still feel GT4 is the best overall racer. It's a shame that not a single GT game has come close to it.

SpiceRacz

I BEG TO DIFFER

Drift-1.gif

We need Burnout Revenge and Outrun Online re-releases.

I miss arcade racers, Forza Horizon is great but it's still too "realistic" for my liking.

Ogbert

Incredible game.

Not trying to be a hipster, but in terms of best racing game ever, I can’t really see past Mario Kart 8.

CamHostage

Anyone remember this game? I LOVED this when i was a kid. This was the peak for me.

Secret-best kart-type racing game, outside of MK. There's strategy to weapon deployment and survival which most other attack-oriented games don't have, plus the stunt system has its own risk/reward value in the boost system. EA only did this and NASCAR Rumble before it, they never did a third iteration (the only other racer they did was Freakstyle, the motocross entry into the EA Big lineup,) which is a shame IMO as the Rumble Racing formula had a lot of answers to the question of how to add balance to arcade-style racers and it just got lost to time.

Neither of these are car racing games, but I also love Kinetica and Downhill Domination. What a great time for racing games!

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT7_116273.jpg

74238--downhill-domination.png

Last edited:

Trilobit

My all-time favourite racing game. The Takedown mode was pure relaxation and focus. I wish there was a remaster in at least HD and 60fps. But preferably 4K and 120fps. That would be lit!

I loved listening to these songs:

Hibs

Track style was the best. Honestly hated Paradise's open world for multiplayer.

Also, Midnight Club series was only good for CTF. Midnight Club 2 on xbl was a fucking blast.

Forza Horizon franchise is literally everything I wanted in a racing game. Back when Burnout 3 was relevant I prefered to play Need for Speed: Most Wanted...

Definitely. It's the best arcade racing game of all time in my opinion. Absolutely flawless and it's criminal that it hasn't been remastered or had a proper sequel. I've tried to play Paradise a few times but that game is a piece of shit compared to Takedown.

jayj

Banned
I simply think this is the gamer perspective, like how someone who isn't a car enthusiast might feel. Burnout 3 was basically the peak of arcade gaming, back when that was a sub-genre that was being focused on with some great new AAA entries. For a long time now racing games went in far more of a sim or Need for Speed style of direction, like they've either been games made for serious racing/car fans, or some street racing style arcade racers like the NFS titles. As someone who has always been a car enthusiast I could never consider Burnout 3 to be peak racing genre, in fact I could even laugh at the notion if it wasn't for me realizing how true of a statement that can be for some people if they don't share my passion for cars.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
YES! I loved the focused tracks of B3 and hated the open world of Burnout Paradise. I loved Midnight Club 2, Wipeout XL, Burnout 3 and Blur!!

Ribi

Revenge was better, only recent game that scratched that same crashing itch is Wreckfest. Side swiping and t-boning people in that game is great

Absolutely loved it, but a hairs breadth away from perfection. All it really needed was the one modern feature every racer was lacking, "not treating civilian cars as brick walls." I love the way racers after NFS hot pursuit treat traffic. They slow you down but don't stop you dead.

Now if I'm recalling wrong, nevermind, but I remember burnout 3 hadn't figured that out yet, and it didn't get figured out until either Hot Pursuit or Burnout Paradise.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Absolutely loved it, but a hairs breadth away from perfection. All it really needed was the one modern feature every racer was lacking, "not treating civilian cars as brick walls." I love the way racers after NFS hot pursuit treat traffic. They slow you down but don't stop you dead.

Now if I'm recalling wrong, nevermind, but I remember burnout 3 hadn't figured that out yet, and it didn't get figured out until either Hot Pursuit or Burnout Paradise.

Trying to avoid traffic and when failing being “rewarded” with spectacular crashes is one of the main fun factors of the game.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Agreed. Loved that game. I haven't played many racegame server then, but a new game in the same vein I would buy immediately. Mind you, not with any open world stuff.

drotahorror

Secret-best kart-type racing game, outside of MK. There's strategy to weapon deployment and survival which most other attack-oriented games don't have, plus the stunt system has its own risk/reward value in the boost system. EA only did this and NASCAR Rumble before it, they never did a third iteration (the only other racer they did was Freakstyle, the motocross entry into the EA Big lineup,)

EA Big also put out "Shox"

It was pretty good.

Split/second had one of the most rad sound tracks I've heard. The elite race theme just puts your mind "into the zone":

It felt like you were entering a decisive showdown and you're going all-in. Its now or never and you're against all odds on finishing the race in first place. The escalation and shift in the track as you progress position-by-position is epic.

Last edited:
Yeah I just played burnout 3 for the first time a month ago. I had paradise since it came out as I had the psp game Burnout Legends before that. Legends had a feel to it I liked.

I go to used game stores and seen burnout revenge picked it up only to find out it was scratched and had to take it back and pick up burnout 2 and 3. BO2 was weak. It was just racing with a burnout meeter. No takedowns, no announcer, no text showing you did crazy shit. It did have crash mode, but was tame compared to later games. I guess it makes for a good time capsule and was fun at the time, but it's rough today.

Burnout 3 on the other hand had everything legends had. Its an amazing game. I do wish I had revenge though to try. Is that game on Xbox digital with backward compatiblity? As I'll pick it up there instead if it is. A higher Def burnout in the vein of 3 would rock.

Also one thing I noticed. Rock, alt rock, indie focuses soundtrack.... We don't get this anymore and it's a shame. Paradise also has a great soundtrack. If it came out today it would be shit as that music is no longer played and in favor by Gen z. Sorry I don't want to race to Nikki manaj, drake, or some lame Ed Sheeran... Ewwww...

Killer8

The death of arcade racing has to be one of the biggest tragedies in gaming. The loss of Burnout and Ridge Racer hurt the most.

RAIDEN1

This thread reminds me of the recent videos about Daytona USA 2 finally coming to consoles, and yet when it FINALLY does, it is tucked away in a game that isn't exactly a must-have title in of itself, that and the fact as Sega Lord X pointed out there are next to no options, in the emulated version neither does it give you the choice of choosing which version of Daytona 2 you would like to play just goes to show how Sega for some reason to this day don't feel confident in giving it a stand-alone release, and need to tuck it into another game just to get it out..

Trying to avoid traffic and when failing being “rewarded” with spectacular crashes is one of the main fun factors of the game.

Eh. It's not the object of the races. It's pretty silly when ramming an opponent crashes them and gives you a boost but ramming a non racing car acts like a brick wall. There are enough walls to run into already.

Top Bottom