• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Legends screens (PSP)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
burnout-legends-20050817070015412.jpg

burnout-legends-20050817070014912.jpg

burnout-legends-20050817070014459.jpg

burnout-legends-20050817070014068.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wario64 said:

You sure? E3 demo looked pretty smooth. I actually bitched about the frame rate dropping during crashes (which was just due to unoptimization it seems) for the very reason it broke the "smoothness"

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I actually bitched about the frame rate dropping during crashes (which was just due to unoptimization it seems) for the very reason it broke the "smoothness"
I thought that was the standard for Burnout titles? It happens in BO3 too (PS2 version at least) - but it's harldy noticeable with crashes always running in slow-motion anyhow.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
I thought that was the standard for Burnout titles? It happens in BO3 too (PS2 version at least) - but it's harldy noticeable with crashes always running in slow-motion anyhow.

The drop was very noticeable in that E3 demo. Even if it also was in slowmotion.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well either way new gameplay videos seem fine ;)
Anyway my question would be more how is the visibility in PSP version? I bitched a lot about this on PS2 already, at high speeds I could as well be driving blind at times, I'm just a bit worried what's the effect of PSP lower resolution coupled with screen ghosting on this?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It didnt bother me. Color palette was very "bright" so that the bleeding was nowhere to be seen (bare in mind I did play it for just a couple of minutes - those gerky crashes were pissing me off too much :)) and incoming traffic was easily spotted (also due to the flashlights). But I dont think the car playable in the demo was one of the fastest, so...

I think Marconelly played it more than me so he can tell you guys more.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FiRez said:
:lol at the people that can't still see the difference between 30 or 60 fps, such a gamers you are.

Oh please gimme a break. I can spot the difference just fine. You should really try E3 and see if your eyes work properly after day 1. Also, difference between 30 and 60 fps is not as apparent on a "tiny" LCD screen compared to a standard non progressive CRT TV. Size and lil ghosting make it all the more difficult in some circumstances (like when you cannot rotate the camera around but just go forward as in the case of Burnout).

So, it seemd 60fps to me. That's the bottom line.

FiRez

TTP said:
Oh please gimme a break. I can spot the difference just fine. You should really try E3 and see if your eyes work properly after day 1. Also, difference between 30 and 60 fps is not as apparent on a "tiny" LCD screen compared to a standard non progressive CRT TV. Size and lil ghosting make it all the more difficult in some circumstances (like when you cannot rotate the camera around but just go forward as in the case of Burnout).

So, it seemd 60fps to me. That's the bottom line.

I'm sure that is very evident, look at the Gun Star Heroes recent video for an example

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
FiRez said:
:lol at the people that can't still see the difference between 30 or 60 fps, such a gamers you are.
I suppose I could see the difference, if I cared enough to pay attention. But seeing as how I've seen it said that many of the games I've really enjoyed playing over the 20 yrs or so that I've been gaming were 30 fps (or less), I fail to see how this would make me less of a gamer...?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
kaching:
But seeing as how I've seen it said that many of the games I've really enjoyed playing over the 20 yrs or so that I've been gaming were 30 fps (or less)
2D games are generally run at 60-hz.

FiRez

kaching said:
I suppose I could see the difference, if I cared enough to pay attention. But seeing as how I've seen it said that many of the games I've really enjoyed playing over the 20 yrs or so that I've been gaming were 30 fps (or less), I fail to see how this would make me less of a gamer...?

Isn't something that you need to care, is so obvious that even if you don't know what is FPS you can see the difference.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lazy8s - 20 yrs of gaming encompasses lots of 3d games I've really enjoyed playing as well. :)

Firez - maybe its obvious to you the way that the colors red and green are obvious to those who aren't color-blind, hmmm?

ram

Drinky Crow said:
30, seriously? Fuck. I'll stick with Ridge Racers.

its really dissapointing, because the speed feeling isnt really there. also the missing sparks when starting the turbo make it awful.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FiRez said:
Isn't something that you need to care, is so obvious that even if you don't know what is FPS you can see the difference.

Look, let's put it this way. I can see the fps difference between Ridge Racers and Wipeout Pure (as well as I could see it in any game I played in my 25+ yrs of gaming). Burnout Legends looked closer to Ridge Racer fps-wise for the 2 minutes I dedicated to it. It should also be pointed out that a 30fps game looks to run smoother on the PSP LCD screen compared to a 30fps running on a normal TV. I dunno the technical reason behind this, but I'm pretty sure it's like that.

Endymion

FiRez said:

You don't have a clue. The difference between 30 fps and 60 is not ALWAYS so apparent for everyone as you make it out to be. Some are deceived by slow moving scenery, others from a sound smoothness. Even seasoned gamers that can easily tell the difference between 30 VS 60 fps can SOMETIMES be deceived (moreso if one is looking at a tiny screen, with chaos all around and is in a hurry).

Also you contradict yourself by first pulling his leg assuming he can't easily spot the difference (making a cheap assumption based on just ONE game, lol), then state it's an obvious and most natural thing for everyone, which obviously cannot be by your first sentence. Blatant gamers are such a noxious beast.

Burnout has run it's course, seriously, what else can they do to freshen up the gameplay experience? I can't think of anything. And now that EA have them, Criterion will be pumping Burnout games out til the cows come home - same shit different tracks, with more crash junctions - whoopie! :lol

Where's the Black videos?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seemed like 60FPS to me at E3, but as said above, it's harder to tell on PSP when you're not paying attention (and I didn't), especially because the game camera just moves forward, which makes it even more difficult. Seemed very smooth though, that's why I think it was 60FPS.

These look doctored.
Nothing doctored about these screens. Native PSP res, aliasing visible.

Look, let's put it this way. I can see the fps difference between Ridge Racers and Wipeout Pure (as well as I could see it in any game I played in my 25+ yrs of gaming). Burnout Legends looked closer to Ridge Racer fps-wise for the 2 minutes I dedicated to it. It should also be pointed out that a 30fps game looks to run smoother on the PSP LCD screen compared to a 30fps running on a normal TV. I dunno the technical reason behind this, but I'm pretty sure it's like that.
This echoes my sentiment exactly.

30FPS games appear to move smoother on a small screen because there's simply a shorter physical distance an object travels on the screen in the 1/30 second than it travels on big TV screens.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Keep in mind that game at E3 also looked worse than these new videos and screens. Perhaps they decided to lower the framerate and up the visuals.

I'm there with this game, whatever the framerate (not really, but if it's 30fps then so be it).

What I'm not liking is the whole having to play multiplayer to unlock all the cars. That's just stupid, especially if they the selection is random. What if you and a few friends buy it and end up with roughly the same selection of cars. At least with Pokemon (where they seem to have cribbed this idea from) they clearly mark each version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What are the chances for this game to be playable online? PSP Madden and Fifa are announced as online games now, with two more announcements looming.

What if you and a few friends buy it and end up with roughly the same selection of cars.
Then you just download saved games from gamefaqs.com and off you go.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yes, its easy enough to download save data for the PSP, but I agree that it's still an unnecessary hoop-jumping step. If the game supported actual online play, I wouldn't have a problem with it. So here's hoping.

Aye, I figured the whole USB thing. What I meant more was, whether files have to be converted into different files to be uploaded/downloaded, then converted back to work as standard save files, etc. Or whether it's just download to Memory Stick and you're good to go.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Die Squirrel Die said:
Or whether it's just download to Memory Stick and you're good to go.
Basically, that's the case. PSP game saves are stored in independent folders, so as long as the original person who uploads their game save uploads the entire folder, you can then download it intact and just stick it in the PSP\SAVEDATA folder path on your Memory Stick.

Top Bottom