• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush's final FU to America

Status
Not open for further replies.
perfectchaos007 said:
Well considering we may never see another Republican in power thanks to his disasterful administration, I'd be doing the same thing.

Haha are you serious? Hopefully the next GOP president will be a legit conservative.

Phoenix

Synth_floyd said:
Haha are you serious? Hopefully the next GOP president will be a legit conservative.

Which president in the last 40 years would you consider a legit conservative?

industrian said:
At least that would explain the $10 trillion national debt.
:lol

Thing that sucks about this is that now Obama has to deal with this shit, so he'll get blamed for it.

Synth_floyd said:
The GOP is going to have to go under some major re-structuring or they can kiss 2012 goodbye, too (and maybe their entire party).

Not that that's a bad thing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Because corporations, are not patriotic.

When will people realize that?

JayDubya

Banned
Desperado said:
Libertarians, your take on this?

Reducing environment bullshit? Great. Cutting entitlement programs? Great. Giving HCP broader authority to reject providing service? Great.

The shit under "national security" is obviously bad; don't see why he'd want to be increasing governmental authority for the incoming administration; Obama on FISA was a point of many people around here holding their noses... too much of a summary, not enough detail to really raise a stink about, but it's a matter for concern, certainly.

speculawyer said:

Posted Dec 25, 2008 11:55 AM
???

The article is obviously posted now, however. That's the date on the magazine it runs in.

MC Safety

perfectchaos007 said:
Well considering we may never see another Republican in power thanks to his disasterful administration, I'd be doing the same thing.

Never.

Or in four or eight years. Either way.

Gallbaro

Banned
Everything I have a problem with, except the loaded guns in national parks one. That one is kind of actually needed if you are gonna allow human access.

Aaron Strife said:
:lol

Thing that sucks about this is that now Obama has to deal with this shit, so he'll get blamed for it.

The GOP is going to have to go under some major re-structuring or they can kiss 2012 goodbye, too (and maybe their entire party).

Not that that's a bad thing.

Even if somehow the GOP does go away, the American conservative movement will not disappear. Another party will form to take its place. It's like saying if GM goes bankrupt, the US auto manufacturing sector will disappear. Which is dumb because the workers, plants, demand, etc. is all still there, it will just be taken in under new management. Which I hope happens to the GOP. They need new management.

JayDubya said:
Reducing environment bullshit? Great.

Dude.

Even this doesn't mesh with your libertarian ideologies. These are regulations needed to stop corporations from fucking us over. If it weren't for regulations like these, we'd be breathing asbestos. What's good about allowing corporations to dump waste into our drinking water?

GuessWho said:
can anyone summarize?

"In early December, the administration finalized a rule that allows the industry to dump waste from mountaintop mining into neighboring streams and valleys"

"the administration has opened up nearly 2 million acres of mountainous lands in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming for the mining of oil shale — an energy-intensive process that also drains precious water resources."

"the administration has approved last-minute regulations that will allow animal waste from factory farms to seep, unmonitored, into America's waterways."

"the White House exempted more than 100 major polluters from monitoring their emissions of lead, a deadly neurotoxin."

"the Labor Department is finalizing a rule openly opposed by Obama that would hamper the government's ability to protect workers from exposure to toxic chemicals"

"But the wording of the new rule is so vague as to allow providers to deny any treatment that anyone in their practice finds objectionable — including contraception, family planning and artificial insemination."

"In a rule that went into effect on December 8th, the administration also limited vision and dental care for more than 50 million low-income Americans who rely on Medicaid."

"One rule under consideration would roll back Watergate-era prohibitions barring state and local law enforcement from spying on Americans and sharing that information with U.S. intelligence agencies."

FlightOfHeaven said:
Dude.

Even this doesn't mesh with your libertarian ideologies. These are regulations needed to stop corporations from fucking us over. If it weren't for regulations like these, we'd be breathing asbestos. What's good about allowing corporations to dump waste into our drinking water?

Seems like the gop wants America to turn into China.

GeneralIroh said:
Seems like the gop wants America to turn into China.

No, they'd like to turn us into a fucking crater. With a single Christian church in the middle and a solitary American flag waving serenely from atop its mighty spire.

Fuck. I'm going to log off before I get angrier.

GuessWho

LootenPlunder.JPG

I seriously expect Bush to take advantage of some loophole and retroactively continue to provide fucked up legislation after Obama takes office.

madara

Sadly this news is true though oddly post dated. It was on the front page of yahoo over a week ago. The only blue planet known in the universe and its remaining natural resources are sold for destruction. Regardless of the causes you add in global warming and continued baby booms especially before technology can offer mass aid and you have one bleak looking world for the next century.

Nizz

This is really incredible. I read that op with my mouth just wide open. As if it isn't hard enough being a blue collar worker these days, even more bs to deal with. Obama definitely has his hands full...

Rorschach

Told you guys to stop celebrating! Shit ain't over!

"b-b-b-ut what can he do in a few months?! Lame duck total!"

A lot more damage, that's what!

[edit] Anyone else read the title as "Bish's final FU to America"?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
regulations != laws

It's hard for me to take this article seriously when it can't even get that part right. Agree or not, the role of the executive is enacting regulations - so characterizing it as passing laws without congressional approval is just plainly wrong.

Fusebox said:
I thought he was just gonna put his feet up and keep Obama's chair warm. :(

Oh, he is. He's just the kind of guy that will keep it warm for the next guy by taking a big steaming pile dump on it before he leaves.

thekad

Banned
GashPrex said:
regulations != laws

It's hard for me to take this article seriously when it can't even get that part right. Agree or not, the role of the executive is enacting regulations - so characterizing it as passing laws without congressional approval is just plainly wrong.
It isn't wrong. Presidents have been enacting legislation by executive order for centuries.

Oh, and I think the deadline for Bush giving further executive orders has passed. Our long national nightmare is over!

AMUSIX

Crisis said:
I'd like to see this from another source to be frank. Nothing personal against Rolling Stone but I typically do not consult them for serious news.
Rachel Maddow has been reporting on this every night on her show on MSNBC. Sure, she's very left, but she has been identifying every order Bush has been pushing through in her segment "Lame Duck Watch".

The first time I saw the segment, I was floored with what he was trying to do. Then she did it the next night with what he did THAT day, and then again, and again, and every time I was stunned. I was going to post a thread on it, but this article covers most of the big stuff.

Bush is determined to fuck the country as hard as he possibly can.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
thekad said:
It isn't wrong. Presidents have been enacting legislation by executive order for centuries.

yes, yes it is - president's only enact legislation by signing a bill into law. he can't just make it up and pass it...sorry.

President's enact regulations as that is the entire point of an executive branch, to administer the laws. Generally, laws have enabling parts of bills that give power to executive branch to pass regulations that deal with small details of enacting these laws. Laws never have everything in them - and so the executive branch takes on that role.

what it looks like to me is happening is that the comment period is waived for these. also, it would be my guess that its actually the separate admin branches passing these - not bush (though it certainly maybe at his direction)

mj1108

El_TigroX said:
I don't think this is the final FU at all... it's when he pardons all his friends at the 11th hour that is going to be the final final FU.

He still has 5 more weeks. Plenty more time to fuck up even more.

Eteric Rice

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Where's a goddamn mother****ing pretzel when you need one?!!

Where's your modern day Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him?

Guy shoots Kennedy but when a shithead like Bush comes around they're no where to be seen.

What the fuck, America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom