• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy You Got Served on VHS for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Uhhh, new VHS releases have been that way for at least 10-15 years. Unless it is a huge blockbuster, recently released titles are generally $99.99. Back in the day, the Previously Viewed bin was a gold mine since you could get videos cheap many months before the price was finally lowered.

For a while, Blockbuster was trying to strongarm Hollywood into doing this for DVD releases. I don't know if they made any headway into it though.

Why is this video so expensive?
It was priced by the studio for the rental market. The price often drops to under $30 within 6 months of its video release date. When the studio lowers the price of the movie, we'll adjust its price in our store. But if you love it, and want it now, we want you to have it. Enjoy!

Ohh, so that's why the commercials always say "Own it today on DVD or rent it on video."

Talk about a lightbulb moment.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
for that price you could buy a Dvd player and the DVD :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But if you love it, and want it now, we want you to have it. Enjoy!
This should be changed to "But if you love it, and want it now, for pete's sake buy the DVD and a cheap DVD player! Why would you even think about buying a VHS for this much? Geez, man!"

-edit-
doh, too slow

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dice said:
This should be changed to "But if you love it, and want it now, for pete's sake buy the DVD and a cheap DVD player! Why would you even think about buying a VHS for this much? Geez, man!"

-edit-
doh, too slow

Yours is funnier though :D

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Heh, when I was a kid, my family owned a series of video rental stores. One Christmas, my dad paid $100 for a VHS of the movie Ghost because my mom had asked for it and it wasn't going to be available for purchase in time. My dad is insane around Christmas.

Brannon

Suikoguy said:
for that price you could buy a Dvd player and the DVD :)

Quoted for common sense. VHS was beyond dead when DVD hit the mainstream; this 'price for rental' crap is just violating the corpse. A corpse with too many moving tangly parts but still a corpse.

DJ Brannon said:
Quoted for common sense. VHS was beyond dead when DVD hit the mainstream; this 'price for rental' crap is just violating the corpse. A corpse with too many moving tangly parts but still a corpse.

sorry, but a corpse can't move. you are talking about a zombie here.

ChrisReid

border said:
Uhhh, new VHS releases have been that way for at least 10-15 years. Unless it is a huge blockbuster, recently released titles are generally $99.99. Back in the day, the Previously Viewed bin was a gold mine since you could get videos cheap many months before the price was finally lowered.

For a while, Blockbuster was trying to strongarm Hollywood into doing this for DVD releases. I don't know if they made any headway into it though.

Yeah, thank god DVDs didn't go the same route.

border said:

I don't get this... they're continuing the practice for the older format, but not for the newer and more popular one? What's the difference?

border

I don't exactly know why or how VHS became "priced for rental"......it was never done with laserdiscs (which were like 50 bucks anyway). I assume that it's because people weren't buying a lot of video tapes, and Hollywood figured out it was better to sell 10,000 copies of a movie at $100 a piece than it was to sell a larger number at 1/5 the cost. Video stores probably got a wholesale discount, though I imagine that this practice drove a ton of small stores out of business....just because they wouldn't have had enough capital and enough customers to keep up a catalog of new releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom