• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Mobile Breaks Record with 100 Million Downloads in Its First Week.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Call of Duty Mobile has had the best launch of any mobile game ever after generating more than 100 million downloads worldwide in its first week, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates.

Developed by Tencent’s Timi Studio in partnership with publisher Activision, the title’s first week performance puts it ahead of other big mobile game launches like Mario Kart Tour, which raced to 90 million downloads in its first seven days. Other mobile heavyweights such as Fortnite and PUBG Mobile picked up 22.5 million (App Store only) and nearly 28 million downloads, respectively, in their first week.

The majority of Call of Duty Mobile’s downloads came from iOS, where it generated 56.9 million downloads, or 55.7 percent of the total, while Android users accounted for 45.3 million unique installs, or 44.3 percent. Activision’s shooter was most popular in the United States, where it was downloaded nearly 17.3 million times, or 16.9 percent of the total count. India followed with 13.7 million downloads, or 13.4 percent, with Brazil in third with 7.1 million downloads, or 7 percent.

During its first week, Call of Duty Mobile brought in $17.7 million in player spending, putting its average gross revenue per download at around $0.17.

The Apple App Store accounted for $9.1 million in revenue, or 53 percent, while Android users spent $8.3 million, or 47 percent. The U.S. was by far the title’s biggest revenue generator, with players in the country spending $7.6 million, or 43.1 percent of its overall gross. Japan was the second highest grossing country with $2.4 million, or 13.7 percent, while Brazil came in third with $848,000, or 4.8 percent.

Call of Duty Mobile also outshone rivals Fortnite and PUBG Mobile for first-week gross revenue. During its first seven days in beta, Epic Games’ battle royale hit generated around $2.3 million from the App Store. PUBG Mobile did not start monetizing until two months after launch, at which point it generated just under $600,000 in the first week of adding spending options.

call-of-duty-mobile-chart.jpg

Pallas

That’s quite the accomplishment but not surprising. It’s the first real CoD mobile game, unlike their previous games on mobile.

I am surprised to see PubG getting more downloads than Fortnite in mobile tho!

Edit: in the first week, still surprised.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Why are publishers chasing mobile again?
you could have a machine on the market for 7 years hit 3 mil players in a weekend.
They are stupid, for chasing this trend.

nani17

are in a big trouble
It's really fun to play however there seems to be a very good amount of pc players joining in and destroying everyone by using android emulators on pc

Now Tencent has made an app on Windows for pc players to play other pc players in hopes it will stop them joining against mobile players but its not really working in my opinion.

Another thing is some people have paid for apps that allow the use of a controller on your phone or tablet again resulting in a very hard game. Cod mobile used to have a controller option but removed it later on. It is only new but these same issues were there for pubg mobile

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am only 30yo and I am not interested in mobile games... I never was interested in mobile games since always i try them they are SHIT compared to real games.
100 million is really surprising and makes me feel like breed of old dying type of gamer.
That said - I've not played this but I bet I wouldn't like it

Fbh

I admit I downloaded it out of curiosity.

Before the game would even launch it demanded I give it permission to record audio (they say for voice chat) or it wouldn't even start. I'm probably just being paranoid but a Chinese game that demands that I give it permission to record audio for what should be an optional feature is an insta-uninstall

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would need to upgrade my phone to play it heh but its great to see it do so well.

Lol @ some dinosaurs still not playing mobile games when Japan already accepted them in the early 00s.

It's a surprisingly true to life representation of Call of Duty. However the control scheme will always cripple mobile shooters.

They had controller support in the beta. Bring that back and it'd be a legit CoD game.

Amazed at the numbers though. Branding doing the business. Wonder whether this will help or hinder Modern Warfare's release too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Why are publishers chasing mobile again?
you could have a machine on the market for 7 years hit 3 mil players in a weekend.
They are stupid, for chasing this trend.
They wanna make money, and the mobile market is massive. There are a lot more customers on mobile than anything else videogame related.

The only way I could see companies moving out of mobile, was if a mobile industry crash happened. But since these games have no relation to retail, it's almost impossible. We're gonna have to find a way to swallow this trend. We can't get rid of it. Just not gonna happen.

MiguelItUp

Anything that brings down Fortnite makes me happy. That being said, while I can appreciate COD mobile for how well it works, it's still an FPS on mobile...

It's worth giving it a shot if you're a fan of COD or competitive FPSs, or even just FPSs in general. But personally, while I can give it credit where its due I just didn't find it fun and uninstalled it after 10/15 minutes.

manfestival

I played the game. It is pretty solid... especially for mobile. Though I find scopes to be a funny concept when you have autoaim/autofire

Tygeezy

You are lying to yourself if you think touch controls are more accurate.
Who said anything about touch controls being more accurate? The touch controls are faster.. You use it to move the camera. The gyro is what is more accurate and that's what you use to aim.

Thumb swipe gives you a 180 degree turn. On a console you move the stick all the way to the left or right and wait for it to spin. Touchpad is objectively quicker. It's a lot like the steam controller, which again blows traditional game pads out the water for fps games.

ethomaz

Banned
CoD + Mobile = success.

Shocked lol

The game is pretty fun like you expect from CoD.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Just wondering if this beats tencent and activisions’ own expectations? This will definitely give blizzard some confidence for their diablo mobile title.

Ryu Kaiba

Tried it. Hate it. not that i liked call of duty in the first place but damn this new generation acting like on screen controllers are acceptable.

This game is a lot funner than I thought it would be and it does one thing right that even the console games won't do, NO SKILL BASED MATCHMAKING. When you get better at the game you actually get better scores, you don't just get paired against tougher enemies so there's no feeling of accomplishment. Its been sucking the fun out of the console games and its so refreshing to go back to connection matchmaking only.

Top Bottom