• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Leak Reveals Weapon Microtransactions.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A Call of Duty leaker known as TheGamingRevolution claims that Call of Duty Modern Warfare is going to be getting a Supply Drop system that is going to replace the fair system and salvage mechanic. Unfortunately, the potential leak also reveals that the supply drops are not just for cosmetic items like titles and emblems but will also include new weapons. While none of this is official and could still be false, TheGamingRevolution does have good track record, having first leaked the existence of the 2v2 Gun Fight mode.

The developer response to this is below. This led to “thegamingrevolution” posting a series of emotional tweets calling out Joel and saying his sources were solid:

Sounds like some genuine concerns about the loot boxes containing weapons mixed in with some “influencers and creators” screeching for clicks.

Last edited:
At this point I am more inclined to believe "rumours" as opposed to what the devs themselves say, because the rumours aren't really rumours. Anyone who has played the past 5 years of COD will be able to tell you how this all ends up. Activision will put in gameplay affecting weapons in loot boxes in increasingly scummy ways they can muster. And they will have the devs lie to your face before launch that loot boxes will contain only cosmetic items, only for that to change within just a few months of the game's release.

recursive

A new weapon is no different then paying for a character in a fighting game.

As long as they continue to keep the game balanced I'm fine

That really isn't the same thing unless you are suggesting that the new characters were in random loot boxes. Not aware of any fighters that did that.

kingwingin

That really isn't the same thing unless you are suggesting that the new characters were in random loot boxes. Not aware of any fighters that did that.

I thought the issue was about being pay to win. the delivery method of a new weapon or character makes no difference. Atleast with supply drops companies allow you to earn in game currency to purchase them while a fighting game character is cash only

Not much of said news for me personally. But I can understand all the bothering around microtransactions. It must be restricted for children. But game itself is awesome. Probably the best online shooter ever made. Great ballistics and gralhics.

I thought the issue was about being pay to win. the delivery method of a new weapon or character makes no difference. Atleast with supply drops companies allow you to earn in game currency to purchase them while a fighting game character is cash only
The Daemon in BO4 is overpowered and P2W, though.

TUROK

Annoying move, but eh, I'm mostly in it for the campaign. MP's just a fun distraction. Also, I've always done pretty okay in these games without needing fancy DLC guns.

Fuck that thing that shoots darts in Black Ops 4 though.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Dying to play this again. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Digital version unlocks at 6 PM PST on the 24th.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, the whole microtransaction hooplah is the only thing holding me back from preordering. It's sad that I don't feel like I should pull the trigger until I know for sure. Ugh...

I long for a day where we can (hopefully) nix microtransactions and just earn things by playing the game we paid full price for. Will it ever happen? I don't know, but man, I wish gaming could just go back to the only purchases being the full version and the eventual expansion pack. :(

And this, children, is why mtx and lootboxes are here to stay; this game has been churning out P2W, hidden in lootboxes for YEARS and yet, it still sells millions, all the while, people screech and reeee about mtx.

I, for one, hope gamepass tanks and resets the gaming industry, because the people are brainwashed and need physically disconnecting from this bullshit future.

Honestly, the whole microtransaction hooplah is the only thing holding me back from preordering. It's sad that I don't feel like I should pull the trigger until I know for sure. Ugh...

I long for a day where we can (hopefully) nix microtransactions and just earn things by playing the game we paid full price for. Will it ever happen? I don't know, but man, I wish gaming could just go back to the only purchases being the full version and the eventual expansion pack. :(
How about longing for a day when mtx and lootbox bullshit no longer exists?

J-Roderton

What I can say right now is that we are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system

See guys, they're definitely not working on any kind of that stuff currently. Ugh.

I've never been on the fence so much as I have for this game.

Thabass

See guys, they're definitely not working on any kind of that stuff currently. Ugh.

I've never been on the fence so much as I have for this game.

That's because they stopped working on when that shit came out. It'll will come. Guaranteed. And then this amazing game (it really is good) will be dead.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just don't buy this, wait a few months for the other shoe to drop, and if they make meaningful change, reward them with a purchase.

It really is this simple.

These companies can't keep doing this without millions of sheep chomping at the bit, and trying to justify this stuff to themselves. If everybody walks, this ends overnight. The power really does lie with you.

There's also plenty of publisher and developers that don't do this, that would love your business.

MiguelItUp

Just don't buy this, wait a few months for the other shoe to drop, and if they make meaningful change, reward them with a purchase.

It really is this simple.

I feel like it'd be a lot easier if this WASN'T a COD game as their life span moves incredibly fast. Waiting a few months could equate to hundreds if not thousands of people already prestiged, lol.

Codes 208

For me its the fact Id be paying in full for only 80% of the playable content.

MiguelItUp

For me its the fact Id be paying in full for only 80% of the playable content.
Ah yeah, I can understand that. Personally I wouldn't even touch the mode, so I wasn't too affected by it. But it's still a stupid and horrible "exclusive" for sure.

Codes 208

Ah yeah, I can understand that. Personally I wouldn't even touch the mode, so I wasn't too affected by it. But it's still a stupid and horrible "exclusive" for sure.
For me the level of importance of modes in CoD typically goes:
Multiplayer > zombies/survival > campaign

i dont care for cod campaigns and havent since blops 2, so one can imagine the salt when i learned they were putting a mode I actually wanted to play as an exclusive. For a full year.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

For me the level of importance of modes in CoD typically goes:
Multiplayer > zombies/survival > campaign

i dont care for cod campaigns and havent since blops 2, so one can imagine the salt when i learned they were putting a mode I actually wanted to play as an exclusive. For a full year.
That flow is basically me as well, so I totally understand. Yeah, campaign while looking like it will be a cool experience, it just looks like default action movie, heh.

I just can't believe anyone thought an exclusive for a full year was a good idea. It's absurd.

Bolivar687

Banned
I was never going to base my purchase on mtx, it's always been about whether they get multiplayer back on track. And it looks like they did.

Caffeine

they always pull the rug from under the purchasers thanks for the money, 2 months later it starts rolling out in waves. god damn catch 22 with activision.

Top Bottom