• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can AI help game/book movie and tv adaptations be more faithful?

hlm666

Saw this video where they used AI to create images of the characters from the witcher by using the descriptions from the books and they are quite interesting. I know there are other factors going on as to why some of the recent adaptations are not even close to the source material they are abusing but I hold a small sliver of hope that maybe some things in the future will use AI to generate mockups of what they want the characters to look like for the casting choices.

k_trout

what I want from ai is the ability to replace any character in any movie with Dave chapelle and not just visuals, dialogue and body language as well

hlm666

what I want from ai is the ability to replace any character in any movie with Dave chapelle and not just visuals, dialogue and body language as well
lol what movie caused this desire? if none in particular what movie/scene would you do first?

Maybe, but in some sense art requires interpretation and not just accuracy.

LotR is the perfect example as the movies took liberties and made changes, but the spirit of the books were still present in the films.

What more is there to say? Kubrick's movies are great because of the interpretation, not because they are faithful to their source material.

I get where you both are coming from, and this is more a me problem but most things I see where they can't even get the characters appearances right snowball into character personality and scene/world issues aswell. There are probably lots of examples someone could use to disprove this hence it's a me problem because i've been watching all the shit ones.

Last edited:

k_trout

lol what movie caused this desire? if none in particular what movie/scene would you do first?
for me every movie would benefit from this lol, I might start with Goodfellas replace Ray with Dave, then LOTR, Dave as Aragorn, but as Silky Johnson
mGIXcct.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be about writing…Why isn’t this about the writing?

We keep pointing at actors and casting choices for the fault of writers. I don’t get it. The writers are literally the first domino that topples everything else over.

hlm666

then LOTR, Dave as Aragorn, but as Silky Johnson
lol ok you got me onboard, now make it happen ;)

I thought this was going to be about writing…Why isn’t this about the writing?

We keep pointing at actors and casting choices for the fault of writers. I don’t get it. The writers are literally the first domino that topples everything else over.
Fair point, would be fascinating to get AI to write a screenplay for something and see how it compares to a bad adaptation.

GymWolf

Not much, even if the ia show to you a perfect book representation, you still have to chose between a limited number of actors and you still have to strike a balance between acting skill and how similar they are to the ia picture.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Maybe, but in some sense art requires interpretation and not just accuracy.

LotR is the perfect example as the movies took liberties and made changes, but the spirit of the books were still present in the films.
But were the liberties and changes made entirely creative choices, or creative compromises forced by the economic realities of the medium / industry?

Maybe not yet, but AI may allow a new level of creativity and faithfulness when 3 seconds of film doesn't require 3000 human hours and 3 million dollars. 🤔

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Left: Offical art of Elric of Melniboné
Right: Character generated based on novel description of Elric using online image generator

EsNBYhW.png

What do you think? Do you think maybe it takes more human "interpretive" intervention than you think to create art based on literary characters?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Left: Offical art of Elric of Melniboné
Right: Character generated based on novel description of Elric using online image generator

EsNBYhW.png

What do you think? Do you think maybe it takes more human "interpretive" intervention than you think to create art based on literary characters?
The computer knows what you want.

Toons

What more is there to say? Kubrick's movies are great because of the interpretation, not because they are faithful to their source material.
I just don't understand why people want other artists to just revreate art instead of interpreting that art and revitalizing it.

Sure, it won't always be great but the alternative is literally just pointless and anti art to me. It's no surprise AI fans have flocked to this

Top Bottom