• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can "Look! I Can See Myself" [Ray Tracing] Really Carry An Entire Generation? / Who will Fake it to Make it & Who will Make it And "Change" It?

To the first question, No. We're months into Next Gen and I'm already over Ray tracing and don't think this one tech can carry the generation.

The second part is an interesting one. Studios are still getting their hand on ray tracing, some are well ahead. We'll probably see alot of "Faux Tracing" (Im coining this for when dev decide to throw unnecessary ray tracing in ever games, like the bloom lighting and glossy skin renders back in 2006)

But who do you think has the potential in mastering it for a different way or purpose or avoid it all together and bring us something organically new?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Look! I Can See Myself" [Ray Tracing]

a877ae9f2c4d66f5bdc3f46fd6dce2f8bd8aae40_full.jpg

Kuranghi

Imagine a multiplayer game where everyone runs around carrying small handheld mirrors in front of their face so they can see behind them IN REAL TIME. I'm getting chills.

killatopak

Gold Member
Rockstar maybe

Turn 10, Playground, ND, SSM and GG maybe.

Still I doubt it would be groundbreaking. They would still have to implement it though and I feel like things would start to bloom once the mid gen refreshes are out and we have a more mature RT tools for AMD hardware. Hopefully they catch up to Nvidia soon in that department.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

To the first question, No. We're months into Next Gen and I'm already over Ray tracing and don't think this one tech can carry the generation.

The second part is an interesting one. Studios are still getting their hand on ray tracing, some are well ahead. We'll probably see alot of "Faux Tracing" (Im coining this for when dev decide to throw unnecessary ray tracing in ever games, like the bloom lighting and glossy skin renders back in 2006)

But who do you think has the potential in mastering it for a different way or purpose or avoid it all together and bring us something organically new?

To actually contribute to the thread as well:

RT isn't just reflections, it can give you much much more realistic global illumination and shadows that would be amazing for dark, shadowy horror games. It'll just generally make you think the game has better lighting and improve image quality.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Any game where ilumination plays bigger roles can be helped by ray tracing, as well as games with highly dynamic scenarios.

I think RT on minecraft is a perfect example, it changes how you play the game. If you're digging a tunnel or constructing a building, having RT or not will make a huge difference on how you must build the illumination system of those places.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Imagine a multiplayer game where everyone runs around carrying small handheld mirrors in front of their face so they can see behind them IN REAL TIME. I'm getting chills.
Imagine using mirrors in any shooter, or even puddles of water to see an enemy.

To actually contribute to the thread as well:

RT isn't just reflections, it can give you much much more realistic global illumination and shadows that would be amazing for dark, shadowy horror games. It'll just generally make you think the game has better lighting and improve image quality.
Any game where ilumination plays bigger roles can be helped by ray tracing, as well as games with highly dynamic scenarios.

I think RT on minecraft is a perfect example, it changes how you play the game. If you're digging a tunnel or constructing a building, having RT or not will make a huge difference on how you must build the illumination system
So light.. be that illumination is another factor to RT than just reflection, that's good to know, thanks

Kuranghi

So light.. be that illumination is another factor to RT than just reflection, that's good to know, thanks

I know its long but this is a good video for explaining all the different parts that make up RT (In Control, which seems to be one of the best implementations so far), he slowly adds the effects in one at a time and explains what changes in the scene, it really shows how the image quality is built up using the different techniques/effects.

Later on it compares the best rendering techniques we used before RT and then compares RT to that. Hopefully that helps you out mate.

Last edited:

As long as games play well and look good, I don’t really care for all these things or pay attention to them — don’t care whether it’s true 4K or not or whether it’s real ray tracing or not, etc.

Just give me good games. This constant worry or nit picking of specs is just a total waste of time and takes away from what games should be about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom