• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain why Concord is "soulless" while Astro Bot exudes "passion"?

Is the new Astro Bot a bastion of creativity?

• OP is wrong. Concord is soulless and Astro Bot is a breath of fresh air!

• I'm in the middle. I see OP's point to an extent.

• OP is right. Astro Bot was made in a lab by a marketing firm.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunnybun

I understand the Concord criticism. People are generally upset that their Chess pieces look lame...whatever.

I don't understand why Astro Bot not only gets a pass for being derivative and unambitious, but people will actually it creative, inspired, and it's devs are allegedly passionate.

That makes no sense. If one is derivative then the other is too.

Except... it isn't.

Your analysis falls at the first hurdle.

Whether or not it's MAXIMALLY creative is a different question from whether it's anything like as remotely generic as Concord, which it fucking incredibly obviously is NOT.

splattered

Dont like concord at all but it actually makes sense considering those two games have a release date before the Pro comes out.

I would like to think Sony is holding back some titles to show off on the Pro but that probably just isn't the case. The Pro is going to be a niche upgrade for some people just like the PS4 Pro and One X were. Sony knows the majority of their customers are going to be on ps4 and vanilla ps5 so no point in holding anything back. Cross Gen for 2-3 or more years baby. I think Sony just doesn't have much ready to show yet. We will probably see more big stuff in the fall. I hope.

All the world over I'm hearing the same thing. Concord is a soulless, market tested, Gaurdians of the Galaxy rip off while Astrobot is a breath of fresh air that exudes creativity and passion.

Um, what?

Astrobot is a market tested, made in a lab mascot used to sell merchandise (PlayStation branded product). "Let's make a cute robot, because kids like cute, and make him do the Minions sounds. Kids will like that!" It's the Cool Spot corpo trash from the mid 90's.... Its gameplay does nothing new, or interesting. It's a near copycat of the Crash Bandicoot formula with some Mario 3D Land influence. Those 3D platformers had dozens of clones released in the late 90s and 00s.

Cool_Spot_Rev_1_1993VirginUS_screenshot.gif

53758812254_e04a25d578_b.jpg

(This is an advertisement)

The new Astrobot looks identical (BUT MORE!) to the previous two games. It's more gimmick platforming using the unique functions of the PS5 controller...blow in the mic everyone!

Concord may deserve much of its criticism but at least it's a new IP that's trying some new things in a space where there's not very many peers. Why is Firewalk soulless and Team Asobi avant guard again? Make it make sense people?!

Concord "looks" like GotG due to its CGI trailer. That's not the actual game; it's just a three-minute movie.

If you want to know why it feels soulless, compare Concord to another Marvel product: Marvel Rivals. Both seem as if they were built on an "Unreal Hero Shooter Asset Pack #7."

Astro Bot has a vibe that's fun, cute, and respects Sony’s history better than in the past few years. It feels like a breath of fresh air. Astro’s Playroom was an excellent launch title that showcased what the Dualsense can do, so a full title in that vein is very enticing and intriguing.

If you had played Playroom for at least another 30 minutes, you would have seen that each world alternates between platforming and gimmicks. After "stomping the Goombas," you might become a frog, a monkey, or a ball, each offering a unique platforming experience.

This game also seems to double down on all the Easter eggs and cameos that made Playroom exciting to explore, and perhaps expands on that aspect of the game. I wonder if you could either control Bot Kratos or gain powers from Sony’s historic characters and have a level in their style, but Astro-fied?

Sure, it plays on Nostalgia (a powerful drug, ngl), but the potential seems somewhat endless, while Concord appears to need several patches for balancing in the first few months and a battle pass to unlock more pronouns and blue hair.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Except... it isn't.

Your analysis falls at the first hurdle.

Whether or not it's MAXIMALLY creative is a different question from whether it's anything like as remotely generic as Concord, which it fucking incredibly obviously is NOT.

"You see, this PlayStation product placement character jumping on goombas is creative. Now look at Concord, you have to shoot fire at opponents in a team setting. That's not creative."

Yeah...we're all totally convinced.

KaiserBecks

Astro Bot is original and fresh, a love letter to PlayStation. Concord is „we already have Guardians of the Galaxy at home“.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you want to know why it feels soulless, compare Concord to another Marvel product: Marvel Rivals. Both seem as if they were built on an "Unreal Hero Shooter Asset Pack #7."

Astro Bot has a vibe that's fun, cute, and respects Sony’s history better than in the past few years.
I think you're conflating personal preferences with concepts like creative risk taking.

Consider the opposite...

If you want to know why it feels soulless, compare Astro Bot to Astro Bot Playroom or Astro Bot Rescue Mussion. All 3 look and play identical, and are based on tired, cliche Crash Bandicoot game design.

Concord has a vibe that's funny, exciting, and respects Guardians of the Galaxy better than any game that came before.

TLDR: Neither title is a Hideo Kojima Production.

Hunnybun

"You see, this PlayStation product placement character jumping on goombas is creative. Now look at Concord, you have to shoot fire at opponents in a team setting. That's not creative."

"We"???

You're getting fucking rinsed over and over again in this thread. There's no "we" about it.

You're not convinced, but that's just cos you're fucking delusional.

There hasn't been an avalanche of platformers in recent years. There's been a ton of hero shooters with questionable in game stores.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Concord looks like every other hero shooter doing the rounds.

You can level the same criticism at Astro but it doesn't have an in-game store and it's not competing with the other 10 hero shooters.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think anyone who has played either Astro game, will know that they are amazingly polished, quirky, funny and play into the playstation history.

I'm not so quick to shit on concord as some people, but the Guardians of the Galaxy wannabe aspect I think did it a disservice, I don't care for that, it felt cheap. I think if they focused on the mechanics and strategy aspects, maybe leant into the technicalities it may have hit home more with the 'core'.

The most heartwarming thing for me as a dad whose son pretty much only plays Fortnite and Roblox, I've never seen him so excited about what I would class as a 'proper' game as Astro Bot, he platinum'd the PS5 launch title and after he saw the trailer vowed to do the same in the new game 😍

There is hope for the kids yet 🤞

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"We"???

You're getting fucking rinsed over and over again in this thread. There's no "we" about it.

You're not convinced, but that's just cos you're fucking delusional.

NeoGAF gets thing wrong way too often to have the rinsing ability. There has been no rinsing here. A desire to rinse? Sure. An attempt to rinse? Hardly.

You can level the same criticism at Astro but it doesn't have an in-game store and it's not competing with the other 10 hero shooters.
What are the other 10 hero shooters on PS5? Can you name them? Here's 20 other platformers on PS5...

simpatico

Intentions aside, I'll take a mascot platformer over another hero shooter 10 times out of 10. Mascot platformers at least provide me a game to play

Last edited:
NeoGAF gets thing wrong way too often to have the rinsing ability. There has been no rinsing here. A desire to rinse? Sure. An attempt to rinse? Hardly.

What are the other 10 hero shooters on PS5? Can you name them? Here's 20 other platformers on PS5...

Team Fortress, Valorant, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Paladins, Rainbow Six Siege, Dirty Bomb, Destiny 2, Block And Load, Marvel Rivals.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP, the robot in Concord has pronouns

Concord.png

If I went to a cabin in the Henry Mountains and opened a drawer with a Chess set in it, and that Chess set told me the rook had preferred pronouns, I'd scoff for 5 seconds and play a round of chess. As long as the in match voice lines aren't slacktivist trash, I'll be fine.

Fabieter

I would like to think Sony is holding back some titles to show off on the Pro but that probably just isn't the case. The Pro is going to be a niche upgrade for some people just like the PS4 Pro and One X were. Sony knows the majority of their customers are going to be on ps4 and vanilla ps5 so no point in holding anything back. Cross Gen for 2-3 or more years baby. I think Sony just doesn't have much ready to show yet. We will probably see more big stuff in the fall. I hope.

It totally gonna be even more expensive and most likely niche but I still think it makes sense to announce some of the first party games with it.

Fabieter

It doesnt matter if there are 100000 jump and runs on Playstation. They are meant to be finished and to move on while hero shooters ain't. Secondly tell me more than 10 AAA jump and runs on Playstation iam waiting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Team Fortress, Valorant, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Paladins, Rainbow Six Siege, Dirty Bomb, Destiny 2, Block And Load, Marvel Rivals.
Team Fortess isn't on PS5.
Dirty Bomb isn't on PS5.
Apex Legends is a Battle Royale, not a 5 v 5 hero shooter.
Destiny 2 isn't 5 v 5 hero shooter.
Marvel Rivals isn't out yet.
WTF is Block and Load?

I ask for 10 you produce 4. Now we know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the 3D platformer genre is far more saturated and creatively bankrupt than the team based hero shooter.

749d4a34-d3cc-4f22-97d6-22bed6cdabe4_text.gif

Dirty Bomb isn't on PS5.
WTF is Block and Load?

I ask for 10 you produce 4. Now we know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the 3D platformer genre is far more saturated and creatively bankrupt than the team based hero shooter.

Lmao

Its pointless even discussing this.

Concord is great. It's everyone that's wrong.

Keep on keeping on.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It doesnt matter if there are 100000 jump and runs on Playstation. They are meant to be finished and to move on while hero shooters ain't. Secondly tell me more than 10 AAA jump and runs on Playstation iam waiting.

american-indian-tear.gif

We do not value vapidity and shallow, throwaway design in our games. We value depth, and rich complexity that demands true focus and attention for months if not years in our games.

Waste not, want not.

Dirty Bomb isn't on PS5.
WTF is Block and Load?

Also, Concord is on PC so it's competing with the same player base on those platforms.

Is your case still rested?

YuLY

OP getting destroyed in the poll. Love to see it. GAAS defenders are part of the problem and why this industry is going to shit.

Fabieter

american-indian-tear.gif

We do not value vapidity and shallow, throwaway design in our games. We value depth, and rich complexity that demands true focus and attention for months if not years in our games.

Waste not, want not.

Iam not against gaas if its a) f2p because there is no value in a game day one that's more than likely to shut down a year from now and b) actually tries something new why would I stop playing my gaas games I already have to play an unoriginal uninspired game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Also, Concord is on PC so it's competing with the same player base on those platforms.

Is your case still rested?
Astro Bot isn't coming to PC so it will have to compete with non existence in the PC market. Morgan Freeman says good luck.

Nah, it's all of us that are clueless.
The anti GAAS crowd has been getting absolutely steamrolled the past few years. It's very easy for me to draw a circle around that crowd and take their opinions less seriously.

Astro Bot isn't coming to PC so it will have to compete with non existence in the PC market. Morgan Freeman says good luck.

The anti GAAS crowd has been getting absolutely steamrolled the past few years. It's very easy for me to draw a circle around that crowd and take their opinions less seriously.
Keep on fighting the good fight soldier.

Fabieter

Plants vs zombies, some of the cod games, paladins, quake champions.

Not to forget games like law breakers actually I could see this game follow that legacy.

Fabieter

It's not F2P. Pre-orders start on Thursday.

It's DOA 💀. If its somehow still a thing in a year with a healthy fanbase I might try it for super cheap but I don't trust sony with mp games at all. You can say about ubisoft all they want but they had alot of bad multiplayer launches over the years and they turned it around alot. Don't have the same faith for sony.

hemo memo

Team Asobi are actually trying.

Concord is just a copy and paste, hire as much psychologists, agenda driven game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
F2P on PC.

Why would they charge for it on Playstation and not PC? Pre-orders indicate some kind of cost for the game on Playstation. I hardly think Sony are going to let that slide for PC gamers. They're way too greedy for that.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
People don't like GaaS

Like the insanely popular Helldivers 2?

and think Concord is "woke" because the heroes have pronouns and some of them are black women.

Lol. Nobody thinks having a black woman as a playable character is "woke". The pronouns for a video game character are dumb, but that's not the main reason people dislike this game.

They also see it as another attempt at an Overwatch/Valorant ripoff, and they're not entirely wrong about that one. On the surface that's what it looks like. We'll see with the beta and when the game launches what it's actually like, but on the surface, it seems generic.

That's the main issue. It looks like the same game we've seen a hundred times before. Sony didn't show anything that made this game stand out from a crowded genre. It looked boring, lifeless and uninspired.

Fabieter

Why would they charge for it on Playstation and not PC? Pre-orders indicate some kind of cost for the game on Playstation. I hardly think Sony are going to let that slide for PC gamers. They're way too greedy for that.

Maybe its like 10 bucks so they have a reason to require ps+ and sell some useless in game currency for that 10 bucks. That's actually not that far fetched when I think about it. They don't need that for pc tho.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

You think PlayStation is going to require a PS+ subscription for Concord on PC?

My children...what have I been teaching you?

Fabieter

If they do this for ps+ than they deserve to fail with this game. Holly shit!

I was in the boat i don't care and its a mistake to make this game but if they do shit like that than they deserve whats coming to them. Hopefully the upcoming cuts also gonna be in the ps mangement because it's clearly needed.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

No. And considering how badly you're doing in this thread, maybe don't be so patronising, sweetheart.

The point is that if Concord is going up for pre-order, that means there's likely an upfront cost involved, which also means the upfront cost would be on PC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom