• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain why Concord is "soulless" while Astro Bot exudes "passion"?

Is the new Astro Bot a bastion of creativity?

• OP is wrong. Concord is soulless and Astro Bot is a breath of fresh air!

• I'm in the middle. I see OP's point to an extent.

• OP is right. Astro Bot was made in a lab by a marketing firm.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It is strange that people are acting like astrobot is some amazing IP and this new game looks spectacular.

IMO I think it looks as good as the other 2. Which were pretty solid 7.5/10 games.

My guess is PlayStation loyalists have so few 1st party games to look forward to at this point they are just grasping for single player experiences made by PS.
The PS5 pack in game punched so far above its weight that it’s totally unfair to say it’s just a “pretty solid 7.5/10 game”. It legitimately played extremely well, looked great, had great fan service for olds and for better or worse still has some of the best implementation of Dualsense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
paul happening GIF

MP games are repetitive, you experience most of what there is to experience in a single match (1 level), Astrobot has 80 unique levels.
You can also turn this around: after playing a single-player game you are forever done with it, while some are spending 1000’s of hours in multiplayer games.
Because multiplayer makes it unpredictable and the experience is always different.

Fabieter

Why does leadership need to be criticized for offering a more diverse range of software in addition to all the other software they are known for?

This is what is infuriating about all the outrage, the idea that Sony should not cater to over half their userbase that does enjoy Live Service games

Making half of the renveue (not profit) of gaas games doesn't mean its half of their userbase far from it. There is also people in the gaas mix which prefer sp by quite a margin but have one or to go to mp games. Those people won't leave their current games for a copycat like this.

Making half of the renveue (not profit) of gaas games doesn't mean its half of their userbase far from it. There is also people in the gaas mix which prefer sp by quite a margin but have one or to go to mp games. Those people won't leave their current games for a copycat like this.

Sony makes most of their profit off GaaS and MTX from third parties.

If you prefer SP - great, you're still getting it.

For people that like MP, including a "copy cat" like Concord, they are now getting something that caters to their tastes

I don't see the issue

Last edited:

Fabieter

You can also turn this around: after playing a single-player game you are forever done with it, while some are spending 1000’s of hours in multiplayer games.
Because multiplayer makes it unpredictable and the experience is always different.

That's mainly driven by the fact that humans like competition and always try to outshine other people. There could be games in the future where an ai is just as good and unpredictable in the future and people wouldn't like those as much. The gameplay loop itself is most of the time tight but always the same.

Damigos

1st reason : music
2nd reason : Concord is the same hero shooter we ve seen again and again and again, Astrobot is fresh and unique

Borowski_1

Astro is creative, charming, fun, joyful, and made to make people happy

While Concord is another generic hero shooter, just acting like a cash grab

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you think about it, it really is just Chevy Spark owners getting pissed about watching a GMC Sierra commercial during the football game. Go outside an enjoy your Chevy Spark people. It's OK.

Bizarre jealousy.

Radical_3d

The PS5 pack in game punched so far above its weight that it’s totally unfair to say it’s just a “pretty solid 7.5/10 game”. It legitimately played extremely well, looked great, had great fan service for olds and for better or worse still has some of the best implementation of Dualsense.
I wouldn’t say is unfair. I have a PC, an Xbox and a PS5 and I have little to look upon the future. And if we’re talking about first party I only have Astro. Sure is a solid 7.5 game but were not for my humongous backlog I’d be starving. I think the age of the gaming forum gamer is over. Zoomers and alfas are into Roblox and Fortnite forever and we simplify don’t pack enough purchasing power to move the industry in the direction that we want aside a handful of indies and some niches like Souls (which now we have in disgusting Chinese FTP too) and 4X games for PC.

Fabieter

Sony makes most of their profit off GaaS and MTX from third parties.

If you prefer SP - great, you're still getting it.

For people that like MP, including a "copy cat" like Concord, they are now getting something that caters to their tastes

I don't see the issue

How much profit do they make from gaas? And how likely is it that they can actually compete with all the 3p where people already invested hundreds of bucks into? Yes we are getting one sp games per year, amazing work herman.
We will see If enough people like concord a year from now ;).

How much profit do they make from gaas? And how likely is it that they can actually compete with all the 3p where people already invested hundreds of bucks into? Yes we are getting one sp games per year, amazing work herman.
We will see If enough people like concord a year from now ;).

They make a lot. It's worth trying to make MP games again. They used to during the PS3 era then wrongly abandoned it completely.

We are not getting 1 SP game per year. We are getting 1 AAA SP game per year, per their plans. That means a huge game. There are other smaller games they release throughout the year as well (think: Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, etc).

This is really no different from their previous strategy, but timing in the past has made it such that some years you may get 2 AAA games and others you may get 0.

You don't need to like Concord at all. The game isn't for you - great! You can ignore it completely.

Last edited:
That's mainly driven by the fact that humans like competition and always try to outshine other people. There could be games in the future where an ai is just as good and unpredictable in the future and people wouldn't like those as much. The gameplay loop itself is most of the time tight but always the same.
If it’s just competition driving that then how do you explain the success of Helldivers 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom