• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't buy digital games via gift cards. This spells sadness for many kids this Christmas.

I got a series x from my mom for Christmas (she got it free for signing up for fios 1gb line and since she is 69 and doesn't game well the xbox x and multiple gift cards came my way this Xmas.

Awesome, I went to redeem the best buy gift card for a digital Xbox gift card to buy some backwards compatible games (yeah I am using a series x for games like lost odyssey and batman origins that I can't play on my ps5 or switch)...

Well it took the order no tax. 5 min later I get a text and email saying it canceled the order as it can't verify me. I said bs as I verified using 2 factor. I did it again same thing.

Here I do a Google search and apparently starting this year you can't buy digital cards or physical gift cards using a store gift card. And its not just best buy, Amazon target all are like this now.. Wtf...

So when they remove disk drives and you have only gift cards you are screwed. No way to up your psn /xb/eshop wallet. Except with cash/cc. Which would be fine but I have a gift to redeem. I imagine a lot of kids are going to be upset as this is the way to get digital games and dlc etc..

Has anyone dealt with this bs recently? Why do you think it's the case? Greed? They aren't getting people in the store? Makes no sense to piss so many off.

Last edited:

acm2000

Sorry bud but this is standard practice at retail, sell them on for cash or on various websites that are available to do so.

Well, guess that means buying physical games with those gift cards hehehehehehe.
Which I am not opposed to, but they don't sell 360 games anymore there, the new games are mostly shit, or I own them on ps5/pc/switch already.

I got a disc drive... If those rumors are true and they are ditching physical then this policy is even stranger as it means best buy sells what for games a console and a controller?

Eh just seems really retarded. They check identity on purchase online, what fraud?

Methos#1975

Which I am not opposed to, but they don't sell 360 games anymore there, the new games are mostly shit, or I own them on ps5/pc/switch already.

I got a disc drive... If those rumors are true and they are ditching physical then this policy is even stranger as it means best buy sells what for games a console and a controller?

Eh just seems really retarded. They check identity on purchase online, what fraud?
Gift cards aren't money in a practical sense, they are looked at as a promisory commodity exchange. When buying a gift card you are basically promising to use it in exchange for goods of equal value. You cannot swap a gift card for another gift card due to this, a gift card isn't considered a good.

Last edited:
Do you mean Series S?
No series x. It was through Verizon for fiber plan. 1 free series x, 1gb fios, 200 Amazon gift card, 50 best buy card and 50 Xbox card after new years. Crazy deal. The best buy deal was originally for series s but that got returned as the Verizon deal was better.

If I already didn't have fios I would of done it myself.
Just picked up a treasure trove of 360 games at my local antique store. Sacred 2, batman ark origins, splinter cell, Pandora Tom, lost odyssey, skate 2, dead space 1/2, bad company, ssx, Witcher 2,max payne 2 and 3, assassins creed, fable 2, gears1. Yeah old games, but some I never played as i never owned an xbox and my ps3 is broke (no bc on ps5 was some bs).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No series x. It was through Verizon for fiber plan. 1 free series x, 1gb fios, 200 Amazon gift card, 50 best buy card and 50 Xbox card after new years. Crazy deal. The best buy deal was originally for series s but that got returned as the Verizon deal was better.

If I already didn't have fios I would of done it myself.
Just picked up a treasure trove of 360 games at my local antique store. Sacred 2, batman ark origins, splinter cell, Pandora Tom, lost odyssey, skate 2, dead space 1/2, bad company, ssx, Witcher 2,max payne 2 and 3, assassins creed, fable 2, gears1. Yeah old games, but some I never played as i never owned an xbox and my ps3 is broke (no bc on ps5 was some bs).

Service advertised for $90 per month (only tier with so much “free” stuff added on in the signup deal), I wonder in practice what the real bill is at the end of the month (there are surely other little charges here and there). Still, that is quite costly…

graywolf323

Hasn't this always been the case? I looked it up and according to google, the policy exists to prevent fraud.
You can't use a store gift card to buy other gift cards. This policy existed when I worked in grocery retail in the 2000s. It's to prevent fraud.
it might have been the case for grocery stores and some others (like Target) going that far back (I also worked grocery retail back in the 2000s) but it was only within the past couple of months that this changed for places like GameStop, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

I bought a PSN card using my Amazon gift card balance as recently as early October but by November this no longer worked, IIRC GameStop announced they were doing the same as of the beginning of December 2023

it might have been the case for grocery stores and some others (like Target) going that far back (I also worked grocery retail back in the 2000s) but it was only within the past couple of months that this changed for places like GameStop, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

I bought a PSN card using my Amazon gift card balance as recently as early October but by November this no longer worked, IIRC GameStop announced they were doing the same as of the beginning of December 2023
Yeah, its new. I know I have bought psn cards, before using holiday gift cards. You get a gift, you expect it to work like cash. Usually visa gift cards, but these were just best buy branded as it was part of a deal. I'll just go buy a controller or something with it as any game is cheaper elsewhere.

graywolf323

Yeah, its new. I know I have bought psn cards, before using holiday gift cards. You get a gift, you expect it to work like cash. Usually visa gift cards, but these were just best buy branded as it was part of a deal. I'll just go buy a controller or something with it as any game is cheaper elsewhere.
it kinda sucks because there’s not a lot I’d get from Best Buy otherwise, I actually ended up not buying an Apple gift card on Christmas there ($100 Apple gift card came with a $15 Best Buy gift card free as a promo) because normally I’d just use it towards PSN/eShop/etc. credit but now? I’ll just wait for Amazon/Target/Walmart to do a similar promo since there’s other things I will buy from those stores

Fbh

Yeah this is common.
At least you still got your credit.
I didn't know this and bought a PSN card with an amazon gift card once and they basically nuked my account. Got banned, they banned my credit card (so any other account I set up with that card got insta banned) and customer support was basically "we are sorry, but also fuck you".

I get it's against their terms but I didn't know (and they could easily set up a system to prevent this). They could have just seen I was a regular customer based on my purchase history and cancelled the order but instead they banned me and basically took the $60 credit I had on my account. Haven't bought anything on Amazon since then, and since it's now basically just Aliexpress 2.0 I don't feel the need to go back.

LRKD

Yeah lots of places this was the 'norm', but even just this year I was able to redeem Bing rewards points for a amazon gift card, then redeem that for a GameStop gift card, and then redeem that for a steam gift card. But then suddenly maybe around September was when I noticed that stopped working. Absolute bs tbh.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Criminals steal cards and keys off cards so they decided to stomp that out by doing this.

I don't know about Best Buy, maybe that's their policy. But I buy digital ps store cards all the time on Amazon using Amazon gift cards. It's one of the ways I buy digital games with cash.

DaGwaphics

I've never had a problem ordering digital products using a gift card balance at Amazon. Maybe they've changed something though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A lot of stores don’t allow it, but some still did. Unfortunately Amazon and GameStop recently started doing the same, which sucks because I used to use them to gain Steam credit with my Microsoft Rewards.

Walmart used to allow it in the past, but I’m not certain that’s still the case. Have you tried them?

I’m also wondering if I could buy a Visa gift card with a retail gift card, and go that route.

DaGwaphics

You could maybe try a bitcoin ATM as well, most of those exchange gift cards for cash, I'm sure you'd lose a percentage though.

Nobody uses cash anymore.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Krathoon

Another thing that is annoying is that your credit card company will sometimes block you if you try to buy games on PSN or Nintendo eShop.

I had to get gift cards to buy stuff because they pulled that. I should have gave them a call.

Labadal

You could buy digital Nintendo eshop cards with digial Amazon gift cards as late as September 2023.

I sell old games on cheapassgamer, and I almost always asked for amazon gift card payment.

Had to switch to good old PayPal.

I just got a France psn gift card on G2A and worked like a charm...

What is happening with you guys that had issues ? I dont get it...

SenkiDala

Hasn't this always been the case? I looked it up and according to google, the policy exists to prevent fraud.
Yeah I dunno if it's worldwide but in France since at least 10 years, as long as I remember you cannot buy Xbox/PSN/Nintendo, etc, cards with gift cards.

Top Bottom