• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

depths20XX

Is it possible to do well in this game just playing solo?

Last time I played it I joined a game and a bunch of other people just ran the stage real quick and that was it.

Was pretty boring to be honest, so I'd rather level up by myself.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
depths20XX said:
Is it possible to do well in this game just playing solo?

Last time I played it I joined a game and a bunch of other people just ran the stage real quick and that was it.

Was pretty boring to be honest, so I'd rather level up by myself.

of course you can just beat the game then look at where the top end items drop and farm em

drizzle

Axel Hertz
DRock said:
When does the sale start?
Tuesday.

I'll prolly buy all the DLC and never play any of it, just like I did with the game. If I really wanted infinite grinding with random assholes from the internet, i'd play more PSO... :D

I've never managed to join a GAF game because everybody is so higher level than I am, most of the time.

depths20XX said:
or that.

Wizpig

Well guys, the cheap (?) DLC is here, and i will buy it all.

Is GAFlevania HD still active? you know, the meta-tag, so that we can play together sometimes.
Unfortunately i still have no new characters (because they are not in the deal :p)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Cheap DLC? What are the current prices and what is it at now?

Uggh, I couldn't help myself. I bought everything but the new characters. I put over 20hrs in this game, so even if I spent $40 overall in this game, I think I got my money's worth.

Daigoro

i think the only achievement i have left is the 10k kills one. grind grind grind! havent played in a few months now.

i should probably pick up a few of these levels while they are on sale here for the hell of it. just need to figure out which are worth it. the only ones i bought previously were 7 and the CV1 level (10?).

gotta polish this game off one of these months...

desa

Hmm, I think I shall buy this. Off all the DLC characters, are there any that play differently from the main cast?

edit: and by differently, I mean not little differences between the belmonts and so on

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
desa said:
Hmm, I think I shall buy this. Off all the DLC characters, are there any that play differently from the main cast?

edit: and by differently, I mean not little differences between the belmonts and so on

The Getsuu Fuumaden guys is probably the most original of the ones I've played. His double jump acting as an attack is pretty unique, and his subweapons are pretty nice as well.

There should be a healthy amount of Youtube vids for the characters out by now, I'd wager. I haven't purchased Richter myself, for example, but watching another player chaining together special moves and dominating the puppet master with him, made the character look rather impressive, and worth owning.

Chances are pretty good if you guys get into it, you'll cave and end up buying the characters since you'll get annoyed at seeing all these axemen ghost killing enemies.

desa

gaaaaaaah micro transactions up the ass

I bought the game and all the maps. I'll probably end up buying all the characters too. I'm such a whore. :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All the levels bought. For some reason, I though the characters and Music Packs were going to be on sale as well.. bummer. I'll surely get them next time.

I wonder if I can, now, get into the game?

Wizpig

nocturnedelight said:
Chances are pretty good if you guys get into it, you'll cave and end up buying the characters since you'll get annoyed at seeing all these axemen ghost killing enemies.
This.

But i will not buy them until they hit deal of the week.

Konami sucks.
Honestly, jesus christ, they can't do a patch where we get the characters data for free? after a 1200 game and all that DLC? eff you, Konami.

It's so annoying, you see birds and other animals and you think "oh, that's Maria!... too bad all i see is an armor!"

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wizpig said:
It's so annoying, you see birds and other animals and you think "oh, that's Maria!... too bad all i see is an armor!"
Oh shit, you can't even SEE the characters other people are using?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Let me see them characters, it'll make me want to buy them.

Oh shit, Konami. I really feel bad for Iga.

Wizpig

drizzle said:
I really feel bad for Iga.
Don't tell me, and they still have to announce Castlevania 3DS.
I wonder if it'll ever come out.

What a shitty sh.
By the way, the new levels are cool, but i spent almost 800 MSP for these 5 additional levels, and it's not totally worth it.
Without the 50% off thing it would be almost 1600 MSP for these levels, without the characters, and let's face it: the game is a glorified ROM-hack, even if it is absolutely awesome and very well worth it at 600 MSP.

But this is probably the biggest scam in videogame history.

0 HP

i can't believe that sale was just may 3 and not the whole week, i was going to get this with bangai-o today :|

do people still play this online? i don't mind paying 1200 plus whatever for dlc if i can play it regularly with people. the demo is fun.

Nekobo

What are the must have DLC stages and characters in this game? I already bought Origins. I have 400 points remaining, so I can get two stages or one DLC character.

desa

Nekobo said:
What are the must have DLC stages and characters in this game? I already bought Origins. I have 400 points remaining, so I can get two stages or one DLC character.

The cheapassgamer in me says stages. You also get skills, souls, items, etc for all the starting characters.

Seeing those axe throwing knights does get annoying though. I will probably cave. Fuckin konami

jgkspsx

Sigh. It begins. I bought Fuma. (I got Simon day 1, but that was irresistable.)

I refuse to buy characters for $3 per pop, though. Axeknights be damned.

You guys just playing random matches? Or is there GAF action I'm missing out on.

Nekobo said:
You'd be much better off getting two stages, IMO. The default characters are superior for my tastes, and the characters are not on sale.

jgkspsx

I'm sure somebody's already posted similar thoughts, but:

Dear Random Castlevania HD players:

- Do not kill the bone pillars that offer the only way to get to good chests before somebody gets to the good chests.
- Do not run straight to the boss and start killin' before the good chests get collected.
- See those areas that people can't get to in single-player? How about getting those chests once in a while?
- When somebody is calling for help, maybe... help them? Step on a plate for the greater good? C'mon.
- KILL THE PUPPET BEFORE HE PUTS IT INTO THE IRON MAIDEN I MEAN CHRIST
- Hey, you know that there are some extra levels for sale cheap on XBLA right now? We don't have to keep playing the first two levels over and over again? Please?

Love,

me

EDIT: Towards the goal of not playing with above random XBLA people, I'm friending the whole lot of you. My gamertag is in my profile if you don't know it.

Gaspode_T

Adding a bunch of people to my friends list is the best thing I've done for my multiplayer gaming experience, I don't know many gamers "IRL" so basically I added a bunch of people from Penny Arcade's Pinball FX players list, some random Japanese hardcore gamers I follow from Twitter (one of them seems to be both worldwide Castlevania: HoD and Trials HD champ :p ), few people from work...kind of like real life it seems that online multiplayer requires a little bit of your own initiative to hook up with strangers in a non-random way. Now I have a maxed out friends list and some of them are really cool folks, makes leaderboards waaaaay more interesting.

I just started playing this game so thanks for those tips, I didn't even think that you could jump on the stacks of dragon heads. I am playing Fuma, 8-bit overpowered sprite FTW. Still haven't beaten Stage 2 solo, it's difficult but seems possible now that I know how to block the iron maidens with boxes.

Wizpig

jgkspsx said:
I'm sure somebody's already posted similar thoughts, but:

Dear Random Castlevania HD players:

- Do not kill the bone pillars that offer the only way to get to good chests before somebody gets to the good chests.
- Do not run straight to the boss and start killin' before the good chests get collected.
- See those areas that people can't get to in single-player? How about getting those chests once in a while?
- When somebody is calling for help, maybe... help them? Step on a plate for the greater good? C'mon.
- KILL THE PUPPET BEFORE HE PUTS IT INTO THE IRON MAIDEN I MEAN CHRIST
- Hey, you know that there are some extra levels for sale cheap on XBLA right now? We don't have to keep playing the first two levels over and over again? Please?

Love,

me

EDIT: Towards the goal of not playing with above random XBLA people, I'm friending the whole lot of you. My gamertag is in my profile if you don't know it.
I've got all the stages, we can do some runs tonight.

Tonight in Europe, i mean, so in about 4-5 hours. if i see you online i'll inv.

And yeah the armors get annoying but i'm not going to buy any of the characters if they are not on DotW.

Btw i'm really a complete noob on the new levels, there are apparently some tricks that i don't know so, when online, try to deal with me.
For example in the SotN castle you can apparently get in a higher area if you have someone that hovers with Shanoa (you bounce up her head or something) but i don't know the way to do it - and i'm usually Shanoa.

As for the old stages i got the game on day-one so i know them alright, but let me quote this...

:D

Also, unfortunately, i still don't have the boots to run quicker... :| and of course you can't trade in this game...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nobody uses the Gaflevania HD gamertag to find games anymore? Nobody who is friend's with that gamertag is ever online.

This game amazes me at how similar to PSO it is. The branching paths, the grinding infinitely for items, the Normal/Hard difficulties, the pre-made chat bubbles...

I don't know why I'm not much more into it, as I fucking love the hell out of PSO. Too bad my knowledge of the game is pretty limited: Somebody rushed me through all 9 (how many came with the game) chapters online, because I was too fucking tired of dying from bosses/enemies, since all my stats were shit. I got some cool items and I finally beat level 2 on normal alone yesterday, after like 6 tries the past 2 days

I can't find an online game worth a damn - Everybody just bum rushes through the stage and starts quitting midway through it, because people are not rushing it properly. All games are on hard (which means I get killed in 4 hits) and nobody will fucking revive you no matter what you do. Nobody will talk to you either - it's a horrible experience with randoms, just like PSO.

The fucking timer also pisses me off greatly. I can't ever explore the stage, I have to look at it and figure shit out by looking at the "map", and not by playing it. I also hate time constraints and I think they're an ancient gaming limitation.

I have Forest, Mines and Ruins stages imprinted in my memory forever (from Phantasy Star Online. Never managed to memorize the caves one), and I'm sad that this game is the same kind of game: You have to memorize the stages to truly enjoy it, which means that unless the other people are willing to play the game at a slow pace, any new players will forever be screwed.

I can see how somebody can spend 40 hours in this game - just like I spent 500+ on the PSO franchise.

tl;dr - This shit is just like PSO yo, it's awesome. I need to find some good people to play this online. Why nobody uses the GAFlevania HD gamertag to find games anymore?

For those wondering which characters they should or shouldn't get, based on my personal experience of what characters players are usually using, and what characters are most supported with more equipement through the DLC stages, the last one you should buy is Yoko. The must buys are Simon and Fuma.

list:
Simon - Fuma [first]
Richter - Julius
Maria
Yoko [last]

If you also care alot about play style of the character, I would put Maria one notch up.

depths20XX

Picked up 3 of the stages on the sale.

Can't really play through them since my Soma is too underpowered I guess.

I wish the game wasn't so multiplayer focused, can't even find any games.

Wizpig

Why is Yoko so shitty?

Drizzle, i don't use GAFlevania HD because i don't have other friends spot (100/100)
jgkspsx added me so you can check his friend list when you want.

Foffy

Banned
Wizpig said:
Why is Yoko so shitty?

She's a Belnades. :p

But in the case of 'vania HD, she's pretty much Charlotte with less melee range and has only three spells in the whole game. Granted, one of them could be spammed by a full team to cause the game to lock up, and while that spell does a pretty meaty amount of damage is properly used, that's all she really has.

Yoko is the only other character outside of Charlotte that can't jump kick off anything.
All the Belmonts+Fuma share equipment and get a lot more through DLC. All the characters already in the game get quite a bit more (especially Soma). All the more it seems like Maria and Yoko were forgotten about (besides an item that let them cast Heal)
Simon+Fuma are small and are able to manuver better (not sure if this applies to Maria).
Yoko has terrible attack range

Nekobo

I'll be playing tonight started around 9 - 10 PM PST if anyone wants a friendly noob to play with. I'm a low level Soma user. I only have the Origins stage, but I'm willing to buy other ones if highly recommended.

My gamertag is the same as my username in case you didn't see my previous post.

jgkspsx

Played with a GAFfer a bit. I've had a few good teams, but mostly they just rush the boss. I don't really get the point of that. If you're so high level that you can just single-handedly cream the boss, why are you even playing Chapter 4?

On the other hand, I've had most of the game unlocked for me by insanely powerful people beating bosses on their own, so...

The stages are pretty universally awesome. They're set up to encourage teamwork in some interesting ways, which makes it even more frustrating that everybody just goes for the boss. (The most annoying team-requiring design is the scales at the left of Chapter 2. Bleh.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
jgkspsx said:
Played with a GAFfer a bit. I've had a few good teams, but mostly they just rush the boss. I don't really get the point of that. If you're so high level that you can just single-handedly cream the boss, why are you even playing Chapter 4?
Farming items? The best items drop off the bosses. It's like people would just blast through areas in PSO and leave all the low levels behind, with all the spawned monsters, because all they care about are the 1 or 2 rooms where there's fixed drops.

It's the worst online experience possible - yet, it's a highly addictive game.

jgkspsx

drizzle said:
Farming items? The best items drop off the bosses. It's like people would just blast through areas in PSO and leave all the low levels behind, with all the spawned monsters, because all they care about are the 1 or 2 rooms where there's fixed drops.

It's the worst online experience possible - yet, it's a highly addictive game.
At least in my experience, the early bosses don't have very interesting items. It's the DLC that has far better items. Oh well, maybe they're cheap, or not aware of the sale...

desa

jgkspsx said:

On the other hand, I've had most of the game unlocked for me by insanely powerful people beating bosses on their own, so...

The stages are pretty universally awesome. They're set up to encourage teamwork in some interesting ways, which makes it even more frustrating that everybody just goes for the boss. (The most annoying team-requiring design is the scales at the left of Chapter 2. Bleh.)

Played with you today for little bit. Agree with you about powerful dudes jumping in normal games and creaming through the stage (you alucard slash spammers!). This game is really fun when everyone is around the same power level so the enemies are challenging and encourage teamwork.

The poster who said this is like a 2D PSO is spot on. I don't want mofos with hacked spread needles journeying with me through Ragol. Maybe they should add a very hard and ultimate mode.

Always up for a game with anyone. Gamertag - Paco Lisps

soldat7

Wizpig said:
This.

But i will not buy them until they hit deal of the week.

Konami sucks.
Honestly, jesus christ, they can't do a patch where we get the characters data for free? after a 1200 game and all that DLC? eff you, Konami.

That's a shame. I have better things to do with my time and money, despite enjoying the demo well enough.

0 HP

jgkspsx said:
I never wait for long in quick match. Is that what you're doing?
Yea that and custom I never see anyone

If anybody ever wants to play my tag is blanco21. I'll always be down to play if I'm online. I'll go through the thread and try to get some other peoples tags so hopefully we can keep this game alive if anyone still cares haha

Larsen B

I picked this up at launch but have only given it serious time since the DLC went on sale and I'm getting a ton of enjoyment out of it, even if suffers from the high-end players solo-ing bosses or running the same levels again and again.

Having completed it on Hard with a group of better players, what should I be doing next? I'm using Soma so getting a Valmanway seems to be the ultimate goal but I have no idea how to go about that.

If there are any European GAF-fers who want to get the co-op achievements, my GT is Larsen B. The Boned achievement seems like it will take some organising.

Nekobo

I picked up all the DLC levels, so if you guys are tired of playing the default six (I'm reaching that point, I'll probably be online at night through the week.

BTW, is it difficult to level up with Charlotte? I'm thinking about using her once I'm tired of Soma.

Larsen B

Shoogoo said:
I'm looking for one or two EU Gaffers to start the game from scratch.

GT is Shoogoo :)

I'm starting a new build of Richter so I'd be happy to help you go through the game, Shoogoo.

All of the Somas/Alucards spamming Valmanway got boring after a while online and a video of Richter running chapter 7 looked really fun so I've decided to go with the whip.

Shoogoo

Larsen B said:
I'm starting a new build of Richter so I'd be happy to help you go through the game, Shoogoo.

All of the Somas/Alucards spamming Valmanway got boring after a while online and a video of Richter running chapter 7 looked really fun so I've decided to go with the whip.

Cool! I'm a little busy this week (except on thursday) but after that I should have more time. We can schedule games via PM. Also, I usually have a mic on but if you prefer going mute I don't care.

I don't really know what to play though. I read that starting with Jonathan is a bit tricky, and Shanoa seems a little weak. Any recommendations? I'm ok to buy a character btw, and I don't intend to play as Soma nor Alucard for what it's worth.

edit : Any other EU player around willing to join us?

Top Bottom