• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Affinity announces deepening their relationship with 343 and have been entrusted to further evolve Halo Infinite in new and exciting ways.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah i rather Certain Affinity get Halo full time wile 343 move onto a new IP

I don't think CA is big or proven enough to be handed the full reigns on the Halo IP.

Maybe it can be a couple of year transition. But definitely not within Infinite's content window.

I was surprised myself that Microsoft hadn't announced a buyout when they started their acquisition run four years ago. Now, it's possible they just told them no and want to remain independent. After all, the studio was started by ex-Bungie devs in 2006, which was a year before Bungie announced it was splitting from Microsoft. So there may have been some lingering feelings there. One of those, "Yeah, we'll work with you but you won't own us". But, there may be something bigger preventing it. In 2017, Leyou invested $10 million into Certain Affinity in exchange for 20% ownership of the company. Then in 2020, Tencent bought Leyou. Therefor, Tencent effectively owns 20% of Certain Affinity. I'm not sure on all the nuances and leverages, but that may be an issue for Microsoft to buy them, assuming they want to sell.
Not sure how it works exactly myself.
The 20% Tencent ownership won't matter as its a minority share but for MSs security you would think they would have some plan to keep them on the Halo project. Maybe MS has a first right of refusal with them? I would think that the same thing goes for Asobo. They have got a 10 year development deal for flight sim, so you would think that MS would have some protections against them getting bought out by say Sony. It would fuck them over big time if that happened.

I don't think CA is big or proven enough to be handed the full reigns on the Halo IP.

Maybe it can be a couple of year transition. But definitely not within Infinite's content window.
That true for now but if MS bought CA than hired more people and anyone that still want to work on Halo from 343 can move over to CA like how people from Bungie that still wanted to work on Halo move over to 343 when Bungie left

S0ULZB0URNE

Here you go again shitting up another Xbox thread with ignorance, proving to everybody once again you have zero knowledge on anything Xbox related so your fanboy trolling ends up falling flat on it's face.

Who? Certain Affinity have been working on Halo for 15 years now, are made up of ex-Bungie devs, and have been a support studio to Halo since Halo 2 and 3. The CEO is the guy who actually created the Halo 2 MP rank system.

They're not "fixing" the game, they're working on a BR mode that's to be the successor of Warzone. They're also creating a MonHun like game for Microsoft and have been a support studio for their other games, as well. CA is extremely talented for their staff size, hence all the posts here praising them..

I hope I educated you, so try again next time 😉
So its not 5 teams working on Infinite? 🙄

I never played Infinite,didn't buy season 1 and didn't vote it 2021 gaf GOTY. 🙄

Yeah I said who about CF and?

Keep up the FOS posting though.

I played it bought the season 1 pass bundle and participated in the Samurai armour event with Fiesta being my favorite gametype due to the random loadouts each time you spawn.
mzeoHxq.gif

Infamy v1

So its not 5 teams working on Infinite? 🙄

I never played Infinite,didn't buy season 1 and didn't vote it 2021 gaf GOTY. 🙄

Yeah I said who about CF and?

You seem very uneducated on Halo and CA. I fact checked you. Own that L proudly.

I love how you say you didn't play Halo, then turn around and say you did and get caught by a bunch of people, lol. Can't even keep up with your own lies 😂

They should be doing better with infinite, it has the foundation to be something amazing but it’s wasted by these clowns releasing an unfinished game with little content and over ambitious promises

Yes, general consensus is campaign was great, but criticisms about multiplayer are absolutely valid.

Just yesterday, MCC got a new PvE update while Infinite players have had nothing new the last few months, only two new maps to look forward to in the near future, and overdue features sometime after that.

Given how many delays and how long it's taken them to fix things that were broken, an update like that isn't going to happen anytime soon for Infinite and players are absolutely right to be asking how MCC is getting that while it's crumbs for Infinite. Different teams or not, the writings on the wall that management on Infinite MP needs to be better.

But with the almost comical disrespect for 343 in this thread, you would think it wasn't 343 that's absolutely kicking all kinds of ass with content updates for MCC. Can't people see that 343 is basically divided as a team in both gearing up to properly support Infinite while also still delivering on promises made for MCC by continuing to deliver strong support for it? 343 can't simultaneously be winning all kinds of praise for their work on Halo MCC then in the next breath being called some horrible studio that should be either shut down, or just taken off Halo entirely, when they have proven with an incredible Halo Infinite Campaign, an incredible multiplayer component that essentially crushed its competitors at the time of launch and continues to be an incredible game (just a game that can benefit from some more content and updates, okay sure I'm fine with that), and continues to showcase with Halo MCC exactly where Halo Infinite can, and will, get to? They've proven themselves above and beyond.

There's no shame in them needing some extra time to get up to speed for Halo Infinite. A game, might I add, that was not only a massive critical success, but a commercial one also, and still has years of content to come. 343 is still keeping their promises on Halo MCC. That alone should be evidence enough that Halo Infinite is definitely in good hands.

The massive nature of this update alone to MCC should be evidence 343 knows what they're doing. They only need time to do it.

Just to put things into perspective for people. Everybody keeps praising the updates done to MCC. I'd like to draw some people's attention to something very important about 343. They have only just transitioned the majority of their team talent and resources to Halo Infinite content creation.

They practically announced it last year, but apparently nobody saw it when they announced that Season 8 for Halo MCC would be their last and that they would be transitioning to working on Halo Infinite because supporting two multiplayer games simultaneously would prove too much of a challenge.

The final season does not mean no more updates or support, 343 said. “We have more MCC work to do and support will continue,” Tyler Davis, 343’s community manager, wrote on Wednesday. However, “as a studio it’s not ideal to run and continue shipping seasonal updates for two different multiplayer titles concurrently,” alluding to Halo Infinite, whose multiplayer will be free-to-play.

Their first season dropped late 2019, it lasted about 6 months, then all seasons afterwards all the way up to season 8 late last year came in 2-3 months. If any of this sounds familiar (starting slow and then speeding it up) it should because it's exactly what they said they would be doing with Halo Infinite, except the seasonal content is coming sooner than it ever did when Halo MCC originally launched in 2014.

These updates will continue to be free and will include the unreleased features and content from this year,” Davis said, “as well as a continued effort to improve stability and tackle legacy fixes where possible.”

Seasonal content and updates were added to Halo: The Master Chief Collection’s multiplayer beginning in December 2019. The first season lasted about six months, subsequent seasons have run two to three months. Season 7: Elite began June 23, with Season 8: Mythic, expected after the fall begins.

The latest flood stuff they dropped just now was content and features leftover that was unreleased from the prior year.

If 343 simply keeping the promise they made with Halo MCC prevented their full team resources from being dedicated right away to Halo Infinite content, that's something people who want to see their games supported should appreciate. The same creative flow they got into with MCC is the exact same flow they'll develop into with Halo Infinite. This is why I'm not worried, and why nobody else should be about the team's "capability" or "competence." They were merely behind schedule.

Even co-op. I wonder if people complaining about things like that even appreciate that 343 didn't just deliver the same old Halo we've been playing for years. They released the most ambitious Halo Campaign in over a decade.

It had forward operating bases, assassination missions and dossiers, weapon variants, vehicle variants, a skill tree or armor upgrade system, the grappleshot, an actual legit open world explorable Halo ring, vehicle requisitions at forward operating bases, weapon requisitions at forward operating bases. And this ambition on the campaign side even extended to the multiplayer side with regards to a massive addition such as the academy, weapon drills, and a practice mode with bots. If it hasn't sunk in that what makes Halo co-op MORE exciting this time around than it's ever been before for people who want to play co-op, is all of the ambitious changes to the Halo campaign formula, then people need to open their eyes a bit.

I could see half this energy if 343 delivered the same old Halo with nothing remotely new, ambitious or forward thinking, and then STILL failed to get in things like co-op and was behind the ball on content for Halo MP. But that's not the case. We can see where all the extra effort went. And considering I think they've more or less perfectly designed Halo for the future, they've earned the benefit of the doubt from me. Where exactly do people think the formula or motivation for whatever potential new mode Certain Affinity will be designing for Halo Infinite is coming from? Maybe it had something to do with the new engine 343 designed and the open world features they implemented into the game? And perhaps whatever things 343 works out in its co-op mode are things that will directly be benefitting the potential Certain Affinity battle royale or whatever it turns out to be?

Come on, people gotta give 343 some credit. They 've pretty much built the blueprint for Halo that people are now trying to rob them of their credit for doing simply because they use partner and support studios.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean I'm glad you had fun with the campaign, just too bad there was no co-op. Or Forge. Or that many maps. Or guns. Or a lot of things that were staples at Day 1 for other Halo games :S

Not sure what Forge or maps have to do with Campaign.

The MP mode lacks content, but there’s a roadmap to provide that. How does that dovetail with claims of ‘incompetence’?

Y’all whining about 343i would have a point If the actual gameplay was actually bad…but it’s not. It’s solid.

Good for CA, but damn 343 really seem out of their depth a lot of the time. I can’t recall a time where people weren’t underwhelmed by them or where they weren’t having difficulties.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And? It doesn't matter for how many years they have worked on Halo in some capacity, the fact is that 343 seem to be out of their depth and behind on everything.
They are a support studio for the Halo franchise.
They are announcing that they are still a support studio for the Halo franchise, and are gonna be working on new Halo Infinte stuff (probably maps).
No AAA game is made solo, it just so happens that the Halo franchise effectively has a codeveloper in Certain Affinity saying 343 needs "another" studio is disingenuous because basically every Halo game since Halo 3 has had Certain Affinity helping....Certain Affinity was already working on Halo Infinite.....this is a none story that shitposters are using to shit post about.

Goalus

I think it’s more the optics of firing a woman when they are a minority in the tech/gaming industry and she’s probably in one of the most prominent positions in the industry. Regardless of it being 100% deserved based on performance, the optics wouldn’t be good for MS. They’d be hit by all the cuck gaming sites like IGN, and the Twitterati/Ree purple hair mob screeching in to their plates of chicken tendies.
"Promoting" her would be a possible solution.

Leyasu

Banned
They are a support studio for the Halo franchise.
They are announcing that they are still a support studio for the Halo franchise, and are gonna be working on new Halo Infinte stuff (probably maps).
No AAA game is made solo, it just so happens that the Halo franchise effectively has a codeveloper in Certain Affinity saying 343 needs "another" studio is disingenuous because basically every Halo game since Halo 3 has had Certain Affinity helping....Certain Affinity was already working on Halo Infinite.....this is a none story that shitposters are using to shit post about.
Some people may well be shitposting. But some are genuinely shocked at what 343 have only been able to achieve after 6 years. Even then what they released is incomplete

Ozriel

M$FT
All negative doom sayers 🤣 must be fun having an attitude like that 🤡 life must be great for you guys !

Good going certain affinity! I Hope Halo infinity becomes even better !

343i made the unforgivable crime of actually making a very good Halo campaign after these lot had written them off, picking off 19 GOTY 2021 awards in the process.

So there’s a concerted effort to use the content repeated challenges of the F2P MP mode to smear the entire package and label the developer ‘incompetent’.

And now, support a studio that’s been providing support for Halo since the Bungie days is now being held up as another evidence that 343 is struggling. Makes no sense.

And? It doesn't matter for how many years they have worked on Halo in some capacity, the fact is that 343 seem to be out of their depth and behind on everything.

There’s absolutely nothing about Halo Infinite’s release that points to 343i being ‘out of their depth’.

The game came in hot and they’re behind on content. But it’s a live service game and content will come.

343 has created an engine so complicated they have no idea what there doing with it, what a mess, MS need to do a serious clearout once this game is completed or make the game on a new engine by people who know what there doing

Top Bottom