• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CESA] Japan 2022 - Digital vs Physical split | PS5: 35% digital / 65% physical - PS4: 50% digital / 50% physical - Switch: 23% digital / 77% physical

image.png

Last edited:

ShakenG

I always go digital for games i keep installed for a long time, and games that i dont want to get rid of. buy disc for games ill eventually trade in and only want to experience once.

Famipan

No shit sherlock.
Japan are screwed by expensive digital pricing one one hand, and have access to one of the world's best brick-and-mortar infrastructures for new and pre-owned physical games: Electric Departments stores (which I'm wondering how long they will survive), Book Off-chains, GEO, etc. And online they have Amazon, Yahoo Auctions, Mercari etc.

I'm wondering how popular Facebook Marketplace is over there.
I know Japanese people don't prefer meeting up people in public (which is what people mostly do in my country with Marketplace) and instead prefer sending money through sellers at Yahoo Acutions which works very well. You can even pay in cash for your online purchases at convenience stores and send cash to sellers through ATM's.

Last edited:

MrA

Be like the Japanese.
Buy physical media.
Nothing wrong with digital as long as physical exists, options are the desired result

Oh man thats going to upset some uk physical charts don't matter types

Surprising that Japanese PS5 owners buy more physical than PS4 owners.
Ps4 digital selection is huge, so if some one decides they want a say bloodborne, choice buy a used copy or digital , one choice is counted the other isn't

These aren't the full distribution but it’s encouraging to see any markets that show a strong preference towards physical games. Digital only is a future without ownership and no matter how much I like what a company is doing now, I can’t be certain it won’t change in the future. In order to woo me to buy digital games, you need to make it an excellent value proposition. Either cheap as hell, or cheaper with the ability to play on multiple systems simultaneously.

acm2000

Hope you don't use a high end gpu or console as they're massive wastes of energy when a phone or low power laptop can game instead
series x tops out at 190w under heavy load, uses basically nothing in standby and my annual electricity usage for a 3 bed with 3 adults is only 3000kwh.

we recycle all cardbord, hard plastics, metal and glass, we compost all garden waste, i can live with myself :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
Most but not all. Xbox plan to cut off physical gamers as of next year.

And this data shows that that isn't a good idea for Japan. It appears Sony have their finger on the pulse with the optional drive.
The writing is on the wall. Digital will get even more popular as the generation keeps going. The pro console for the PS5 is rumored to have a detachable disc drive...

The writing is on the wall. Digital will get even more popular as the generation keeps going. The pro console for the PS5 is rumored to have a detachable disc drive...
I don't dispute that. But there is a significant amount of physical media gamers still and one company looks to be catering to that as an option while the other appears not to be with their new models.

IMO Sony's approach is wiser.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So no room for consoles, infinite room for disc boxes.

Make it make sense.
.... discs are way smaller than consoles? I mean look at the fucking PS5 and compare it to a PS5 disc box, seems pretty obvious to me LOL

Personally i think Japan works better with physical because it's so easy to just walk into a store like 5 minutes away from your home and get a game and come back. In the US where the closest gamestop/walmart is a drive away the convenience factor of digital really shines. And no Amazon isn't a replacement. if i'm gonna order the game online i may as well get it digital and download since it will be shorter than waiting the 1-2 days for it to arrive at your place

I think Digital also works better in Japan because it's a country where no matter where you live you always have access to high speed internet especially in centres like Tokyo. And then you take into account that arcades are still alive there.... I think Japan just lends itself better to videogames as a whole :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom