• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door will be trans, fake Nintendo developer confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Edit: The post was debunked as fake, but everything points out to this information being true

fdd5d8ca46d7ea4e45397ae560e807742de2d7d744570297ddbabf69d6d23f33

From an Environmental Engineer at Nintendo of America

Post text:

My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her. In the US release, this was changed to her just being generally bullied. We remade the game for Switch, and a few months ago we were having a meeting about localization and I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board because of the current political climate in this country over trans identities and bodies. She will be presented correctly in the US release of the game next month and I could not be more proud of queer fortitude and getting to fight for representation in the face of bullshit politics, even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.

Source

Last edited:
Welp, if they were trans in the original Japanese version (I wouldn't know; haven't played it yet), and this is just a way of bringing the US release to same speed, I guess that's fine.

I don't see how it's prophetic or anything and unfortunately, with today's political environment, this type of stuff gets boosted for virtue-signaling (and dogpiling) way more than it deserves. Personally I'd like to hear more about QOL and any gameplay or game balance changes, or new content being added.

But, again, appears the character was trans in the original Japanese version, and there was a specific reason for them being bullied. People can't complain about censorship of Asian games and then get mad at this IMHO because it's just the US version being more accurate to the original.

Imagine doing this but just being normal about it? why is it always accompanied by this type of people (dev from the source):

438101467_18424564645014125_8752775447749012461_n.jpg

"We made 12B last year" - talk about entitlement. You didn't make anything, it was Nintendo's output of good games and not your forced political thought (if anything, there might be analysis done on how this negatively affects the company in the long run)

sigmaZ

Trans has been a thing in Japan for as long as I've been here.There's no identity politics made of it. There's been plenty of trans and gender-bending celebrities that are pretty well respected. I don't think this is any kind of political move on the side of Nintendo of Japan.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Imagine doing this but just being normal about it? why is it always accompanied by this type of people (dev from the source):

"We made 12B last year" - talk about entitlement. You didn't make anything, it was Nintendo's output of good games and not your forced political thought (if anything, there might be analysis done on how this negatively affects the company in the long run)
Pretty sure he's not authorized to speak on behalf of his company in this way. People get fired doing stuff like this all the time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

They are mentally ill cunts. Shitty people who try to make immutable characteristics their defining personality.

No one gives a shit if you are gay, straight, trans, black, white, asian, ace or curious. Just shut the fuck up about it, talk about your hobbies, and keep your private life private. Cunts like this are why there is growing pushback against LGBT communities.

If it's a more accurate translation take compared to the original, I'd say that's cool.

But the bigger concern with this game is that it runs at half the framerate of the original. Now that's not cool at all.

What? HOW, Nintendo, H O W? 🤣

Trans has been a thing in Japan for as long as I've been here.There's no identity politics made of it. There's been plenty of trans and gender-bending celebrities that are pretty well respected. I don't think this is any kind of political move on the side of Nintendo of Japan.

Anime & manga, too.

TBF, that other person could've just been normal about it too and just went on with their day instead of thinking anyone was interested in them stating they wouldn't be buying the game for (heavily implied) political reasons on his part :/

nial

Gold Member
Welp, if they were trans in the original Japanese version (I wouldn't know; haven't played it yet), and this is just a way of bringing the US release to same speed, I guess that's fine.
She was supposed to for what I know, even if I've seen some discussions over the years about her being actually a femboy, and not a trans woman.
It really makes you think when a Japan-only first-party Sony game had this joke in 2001.
ONETRfu.jpeg

Deft Beck

Beyond the whole Vivian thing, this is just obnoxious and rude of him. Speaking as a gay man myself.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
😔

EDIT: Actually if this leads to an English version of Captain Rainbow I'm completely onboard with it. Do Birdo next, cowards.
Never happening, trans portrayal wasn't in a positive light in that game.
Plus, it was a mega flop that no one remembers, lol.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Vivian was always trans, and there was no way that modern NoA was going to change that. I was more "worried" that Nintendo Japan would just make her a girl in all regions and be done with it.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Unless you are a board member or an investor you are retarded if you defend a bllion dollar corporation... (even if it's the one you work for!)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm glad that this guy was passionate enough to have the representation outcome he wanted to be included in the game.

Anyway - what an asshole.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Seems totally fair play and a non issue. If the character was designed to be from the jump, BY JAPAN, then it’s all gravy.

The current climate in the USA about this is a shit time to run it, especially from Nintendo which many thought was a final bastion to avoid these kinds of topics in games.

Sethbacca

Hey at least you guys still have the Japanese devs right !!!???

(Honestly tho, there are sexually ambiguous characters in a massive percent of games and anime etc, feels pretty normal for the Japanese market honestly).

Last edited:

captainpat

I have no problem with the game being true to the original japanese version but this guy has to be exaggerating. Also why would environmental engineer be spearheading thing like that? Would that be on the localization staff?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are we going to be reading about how Nintendo unfairly fired this dev after they went on social media and crapped all over the rug?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Xellos

He could have just said "this is a more accurate translation than the 2004 version."

bender

What time is it?
Sounds like a win for more accurate localization. Dude seems like he has no chill though which could shorten his Nintendo tenure.

Reactions: Isa

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Did you see this post yourself? I find it hard to believe that someone would actually post something so pompous that is affiliated with Nintendo. Yamauchi and Iwata would be rolling in their graves.

MagnesD3

Its fine because Japan did it way back before the cancer of the american political landscape but Americans will do thier best to be obnoxious with it, thats really the only thing that makes me roll my eyes. Either way I sure hope this game leads to a Paper Mario 3.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Pretty sure he's not authorized to speak on behalf of his company in this way. People get fired doing stuff like this all the time.
For sure. Nintendo doesn't like this at all. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get in big trouble for this. You can't say "we", and then end the message with "Fuck off" with tons of politics in the middle, speaking on behalf of a very conservative, family oriented company like Nintendo. Not good.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Its fine because Japan did it way back before the cancer of the american political landscape but Americans will do thier best to be obnoxious with it, thats really the only thing that makes me roll my eyes. Either way I sure hope this game leads to a Paper Mario 3.
Can't take any of them seriously anymore.

Holammer

Vivian was a female in the US/EU versions of the game, it's one of a couple of the original Gamecube versions localization sins. A product of its time, now assholes like this guy runs victory laps and sours it for everyone and makes it a product of current year issue instead.
Did he ask Nintendo to fix Peeka & Lahla's censored bunny ears? Of course not, they're even in the Japanese version now.

hzlKQUG.jpeg

kiphalfton

"We"

The fucking hubris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom