• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlize Theron Would ‘Love to’ Do a Prequel to ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’

Link.

“I’d love to,” Theron tells Variety. “There were three scripts. They were written as back stories to Max’s character and to Furiosa’s character. But at the end of the day, this thing lives and breathes with [director] George [Miller]. I think Warner Bros. knows that. We are all waiting for him to show us the way.”

Theron said that that the strong box office reception to “Mad Max” — which grossed $378.9 million worldwide and won six Oscars — helped guide the development of “Atomic Blonde.” In the summer tentpole, Theron plays an ass-kicking British spy that battles Russian baddies in 1989 Berlin.

“Mad Max” had several false stars, and in one version, Theron revealed she had less of a punk rock look. “Originally, [George] liked this idea that even though they were in the desert, something happened and people actually turned albino,” Theron says. “They became these white ghosts. I had this white hair, kind of like Abbey Lee [Kershaw’s] character. It was very much like that: blonde, bleached, very pale skin, no eyebrows. We played around with African war paint. It would have been a completely different film.”

But after the release of “Snow White and the Huntsman,” Theron wanted to shave her head. “I had just finished a big press tour,” Theron says. “I’d come home — I was just so done with hair and makeup. The idea of going into a desert for 140 days, and having to do hair and makeup every single day. I was so excited about diving into this character, I didn’t want anything to hold me back from that. It think it came from that — just pure exhaustion from hair and makeup. How do I eliminate everything I possibly can and get straight to the business at hand?”

As for another franchise, “The Fast and the Furious,” Theron sounds less certain about whether she’s returning for the next film, after playing a hacker in this spring’s “The Fate of the Furious.”

“I don’t know,” she says. “I have no idea if they’ll have me back. Look, I love everybody at Universal. We’re going to have conversations. We’ll see where it goes.”

Lock if old.

Ehhhh pls no. As much as I loved Furiosa, I really appreciated how the film left things implied and left to interpretation.

Actor would like high paying job. News at 11.

That being said, If Miller is down to do it, I'd be there at some point within the first week.

Lynd7

Furiosa is done, I don't think a prequel would be a good idea. Maybe a spinoff with her dealing with a new threat?

I kinda doubt we'll get another Mad Max, unless they aim to do it soon.

Terrible idea. Furiosa was so dope. But her story ends in Fury Road so I don't want a continuation with her. And a prequel would be lame.

Give us the mad max sequel tho plz. Miller has been radio silent on any new projects since he premiered that one. Da gawd has to return

There is no way they can make the Furiosa story as cool as we imagine in our heads.

Unless she is not the main character like Tom Hardy in Fury Road.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Hold up.

Prequels?

How about no. Mad Max 3 reused characters (or at least one major one) from The Road Warrior but in a totally different role. Why not do the same for Furiosa/Theron?

I dont want continuity in the Mad Max films.

Diabelli

Yeah, Max was such a non-character in Fury Road, I honestly wouldn't mind if future films focus on Furiosa.

Fury Road wouldn't have worked without Max. The Furiosa-Max dynamic is what made that film so good.

Shit, now I have to rewatch Fury Road.

Razorback

Always go forward with the story. I don't like going to the theater already knowing where the characters are going to be at the end.

gdt

I'm fine with more Furiosa if that's what Miller wants but not as a prequel please. Everything was filled in. I don't need to see it.

Alienfan

There was so little story in Fury Road I'm not sure why people are freaking out over a prequel, they could pretty much do anything with it

Dinda

As said in the Box Office Thread, i would love a Furiosa Movie. So i really hope it happens.

I agree that i would probably prefer a sequel though (but everything would be fine), with or without Max.

SpaceWolf

Banned
In all likelihood, we're never getting either a prequel or a sequel to Fury Road, so this discussion is probably almost entirely pointless.

CloudWolf

Yeah, Max was such a non-character in Fury Road, I honestly wouldn't mind if future films focus on Furiosa.

Isn't that kind of the entire premise of the Mad Max movies? Max always helps other characters do their thing. Aside from the first one, he's not the main character.

She plays a Brit in Atomic Blonde?!

giphy.gif

Hold up.

Prequels?

How about no. Mad Max 3 reused characters (or at least one major one) from The Road Warrior but in a totally different role. Why not do the same for Furiosa/Theron?

I dont want continuity in the Mad Max films.

And the very villain Immortan Joe was the villain from the original Mad Max film. Miller gives no fucks.

CloudWolf

And the very villain Immortan Joe was the villain from the original Mad Max film. Miller gives no fucks.

Yep, continuitywise the Mad Max films make no sense (nor should they). Max himself for instance has to be ancient. The dude was around since before the gas shortage that led to the apocalypse, but for societies like in Fury Road to form, the world has to have been that way for a loooooong time.

Kolibri

Please don't. The character was a plank of wood.

Even Nux had more character. In fact, I'd rather see a film about him and Slit doing stupid shit for Joe.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Terrible idea. Furiosa was so dope. But her story ends in Fury Road so I don't want a continuation with her. And a prequel would be lame.

Give us the mad max sequel tho plz. Miller has been radio silent on any new projects since he premiered that one. Da gawd has to return

He said during an interview circa last year's Oscars that he wants to do something smaller before diving into another months-long blockbuster. Given nothing has been announced on that front and assuming it's still the plan, I'll be surprised if we see another Mad Max film hit theatres before 2020 (Miller's production company owns the IP, so Village and WB are stuck waiting for him).

I hope there's another game in development. The original was a nice surprise.

Solo

A prequel so she doesn't have to work with Tom Hardy?

ding ding ding

Despite the "make up", I'm sure Theron would rather not work with Hardy again. Prequel is best of both worlds for her - get to work with Miller and not Hardy.

Solo

I didn't know there was a rift. I loved Fury Road.

I think it was a real hard shoot + it was hard to visualize what Miller was going for when you're out there in the desert shooting this lunacy + Hardy's star was taking off (they were shooting this while he was currently on 4000 screens as Bane) and he was kind of a dick about it and hard to work with

They've said they kissed and made up, but I dunno, if I'm Theron, am I really wanting to go back out into the desert for 6 months again with Hardy?

Apathy

Would love to see a prequel but also really up to having another mad max where Max is actually just a character in someone else's story. Pretty universally acknowledge that fury road is more of a furiosa story with max there. I like that concept of Max being almost like a constant but not the focus and almost seeing the other characters story through his lens.

Saganator

Sequel, prequel, Furiosa or not, I don't give a fuck. I just want another Mad Max film directed by George Miller. Make it so.

Solo

Thing with a prequel is they can shoot it Godfather 2 style, where Max and Furiosa's story lines never intersect. Or you could even do a sequel in that manner, where maybe Max and Furiosa's story lines don't intersect until the third act.

It makes sense in a few ways - given how successful Fury Road was, I'm sure WB is keen for more, and given the box office success of female-led action films like Wonder Woman and Star Wars (and Fury Road!), something tells me that another Mad Max with Furiosa in it would do gangbusters.

Top Bottom