• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next 'Mad Max' movie will be prequel about Furiosa, Charlize Theron will not reprise role

Weiji

Banned
I liked the prior movie so much I’m willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

That said I don’t understand how they’re going to make a cool movie without Theron as the lead.

There wasn’t anything interesting about Furiosa‘a character... Theron just made it work.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Fuck this shit, where’s my goddamn Dredd sequel?
In a comic book.

With the case of Fury Road knowing less is more the comic prequel was kinda shit. I'd rather him focus on something else but w/e.

Also I never watched a Mad Max prior to Fury Road and don't intend to fix that. Cuz I know that'll make some people mad. 😏

Falcs

Banned
Fury Road was a shit movie. I don't understand the hype.

Bunch of dirty ass thugs get into hotted up cars/trucks and drive miles and miles through the desert trying to kill each other, then go all the way back. The end.
Such a waste of time movie.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im there for anything George Miller does. this movie was badass so i'm there for the next one.

sad Theron won't be in the next one tho. she's one of my all time film crushes and she crushed that movie.
Also I never watched a Mad Max prior to Fury Road and don't intend to fix that. Cuz I know that'll make some people mad. 😏
somehow you convinced yourself that being lazy and remaining ignorant of movies was owning people? way to go haha

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I have to agree Fury Road is overrated, I was hyped when I first watched it because of the long wait for a new Mad Max flick and because of the movie being a visual masterpiece. The rewatch wasn't so good, I was bothered by Max barely saying anything and the movie not having a solid plot.

Kreen101

Best action scene of the last decade. No way you're topping that, Miller.

You're so right. That scene was ballet with motorbikes and grenades. It gave me EMOTIONS, man, when I saw it in the theater. It thrilled me because I could not believe they managed to film it. It blew my mind that it could be done. I never get this reaction with CGI scenes, because with CGI you can do anything so where's the awe?

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Prequel? Zzzzzz.

Fury Road is my favorite action film, but come on. This is too easy, too safe.

Fury Road story was basic as fuck and yet it still was an amazing movie. Who cares if it's an easy prequel story. Give me awesome action and I am in like Flynn.

Fury Road story was basic as fuck and yet it still was an amazing movie. Who cares if it's an easy prequel story. Give me awesome action and I am in like Flynn.
I’m all for a simple story full of action. But I’d rather see the setting expand than revisit the Citadel. I think we saw enough of it in Fury Road since the worldbuilding was delivered in an efficient manner.

Also, I am mad there is no Max.

Rat Rage

Fury Road was a shit movie. I don't understand the hype.

Bunch of dirty ass thugs get into hotted up cars/trucks and drive miles and miles through the desert trying to kill each other, then go all the way back. The end.
Such a waste of time movie.

Mad Max Fury Road is not about story. It's about style and spectacle, both of which are fueled by a huge budget, oscar-worthy practical effects, stunts, costumes and set design (they actually built all those vehicles and drove them for real).

Yet, the story isn't actually too flat. There is a pretty interesting theme to it, which portraits the weaknesses of men and masculinity and how absurd and pathetic they sometimes appear.

If you watch it with this mindset, you could probably have a good time with it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OMG can't wait. Hope he finishes before he dies. I would like more stuff around MAX past hinted in Fury Road.
All in all - Fury road is the best, most pure, most honest movie this century. god damn incredible

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Although, the ultimate dream would be to hire super old, ruined Mel Gibson and finish Max story... man...
But I trust the man

Fan of the franchise.

giphy.gif

Kreen101

Although, the ultimate dream would be to hire super old, ruined Mel Gibson and finish Max story... man...
But I trust the man

In Fury Road, Max is meant to be as old as Immortan Joe, as both are people old enough to have been around as adults before the society collapsed. Tom Hardy was thus too young for the part. It's the only flaw with the movie: you have to imagine Max as a much older man, like Gibson would have been. Otherwise the background info given about Max being a police officer before the Apocalypse doesn't make sense.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Questionable timing when the theaters are closed what does a mad max hardcore fan do with this information? the last mad max was a HUGE hit, worriying about the cast is interesting

Kreen101

Yet, the story isn't actually too flat. There is a pretty interesting theme to it, which portraits the weaknesses of men and masculinity and how absurd and pathetic they sometimes appear.

That's not how I see the story at all, especially since the script was written in something like 1997, so way before the #metoo mindset infected Hollywood. Max saves everybody in the end, as the women were heading towards the dried-up ocean and certain death.

The story is instead a classic tale of the fall of a kingdom, where the villain, obsessed with the necessity to have a heir, loses through this obsession the very kingdom he wanted to bequeath to his son. It's a classic tragedy storyline.

Kreen101

Questionable timing when the theaters are closed what does a mad max hardcore fan do with this information? the last mad max was a HUGE hit, worriying about the cast is interesting

It wasn't a huge hit, sadly, which is why there hasn't been a sequel yet. It made so-so money based on what must have been the studio's expectations.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It wasn't a huge hit, sadly, which is why there hasn't been a sequel yet. It made so-so money based on what must have been the studio's expectations.
I remember the forum making a big deal about it but I respect your post.

Top Bottom